• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So how long do you think the game will last?
As long as David Zaslav doesn’t find out it’s something WB actually got to put out, I think it’ll probably truck on for at least two years or more. Generous, I know, but this game hasn’t been the colossal flop other short lived GAAS games have been so I don’t think it’ll just get shut down randomly within the next couple months like people seem to think. They should have enough on the backburner to keep this going a while.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So how long do you think the game will last?
As someone who wants the game to get better and succeed in getting better, maybe two years. I mean, I'm still paying attention to Capcom's Teppen and while the number of players looks and appears low, that game is surprisingly still going and almost at it's 5th year. Maybe Multiversus can get as lucky as Teppen.

Like if they can get some of the bigger features in soon, like all characters available for Local multiplayer, some of the additional settings like Team-color settings, Neutral/Side attack swapping & whatnot and getting rid of most of the glitches, especially the really bad ones, this game could make a decent recovery.
If they can deal with some of the Rift issues(like Gem leveling and lackluster rewards for doing Rifts) and maybe, just maybe, some of the monetisation issues, whether it'd be through more non-Perk rewards for players, more Fighter Currency and Gleamium from Events constantly or potentially reducing the price of some cosmetics(which they may be doing in regards to the more lackluster variants like the Jason masks, the T-shirts and whatnot), they could recover much faster, but that will really depend on Warner Bros. willingness to comply/cooperate/etc.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Some QOL stuff might go a long way (reset button in rifts come on). Also maybe nerf the grind around season 2 to a level most people are happy. This game punishes u hard if u don't log every day

Warner Bros greed and PFG making things as painfully grindy as possible makes me believe this game won't last a year ngl. Especially when this is a re-launch, not a launch proper. Expectations are soured and critical than beta which only got worse thanks to the launch burning thousands of people with its flaws and lack of features that the beta itself had already.

We have to wait for bare minimum **** and restart the wait for Ranked all over again lmaooooo.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
For those who opened up on Multiversus early when the new Event opened up, the Missions for the new event most likely did not pop up for you like it did to me. Apparently, it's a bug regarding the event where if you were playing when the Event started, the missions won't come up for you. As a result, it's possible those who were playing early will lose out on getting the Jason Mask for Black Adam.

This will likely be a big reminder for those to wait until it's past 12 PM EST for when new Events come before opening Multiversus, but best hope is to contact Customer Support and hope they can bring up the Missions for those who did not get them today.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
For those who opened up on Multiversus early when the new Event opened up, the Missions for the new event most likely did not pop up for you like it did to me. Apparently, it's a bug regarding the event where if you were playing when the Event started, the missions won't come up for you. As a result, it's possible those who were playing early will lose out on getting the Jason Mask for Black Adam.

This will likely be a big reminder for those to wait until it's past 12 PM EST for when new Events come before opening Multiversus, but best hope is to contact Customer Support and hope they can bring up the Missions for those who did not get them today.
Update:

The missions won’t show up today due to this error, but will show up tomorrow. Plus the event will be extended by one day as compensation.

Ivander

Smash Legend
On a more positive note, because Gizmo and and Stripe are part of the Weekly Rotation, I got all the Gremlins-related Rift challenges done in the Detective and Jason Rifts and got all the Rift Cauldrons for Jason's Rift. Also almost got enough Fighter Currency to get another character and doing all my Dailies this week should get me to the next set of Currency on the Battlepass. I just need to figure out whether I'll need Wonder Woman or Velma after the next Weekly Rotation.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm thinking - is Agent Smith the only other newcomer we're getting this season? We have three difficulties per rift at the moment, meaning that we'll need 7 rifts to unlock Smith. Assuming they stay weekly, that's three weeks from now. Adding a new character before Smith feels unlikely. On the other hand, the season ends three weeks after Smith's (assumed) release. Adding a character then feels even less likely, they might as well hold them for S2.

I really hope I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm thinking - is Agent Smith the only other newcomer we're getting this season? We have three difficulties per rift at the moment, meaning that we'll need 7 rifts to unlock Smith. Assuming they stay weekly, that's three weeks from now. Adding a new character before Smith feels unlikely. On the other hand, the season ends three weeks after Smith's (assumed) release. Adding a character then feels even less likely, they might as well hold them for S2.

Adding one character per season would be really, really dumb.

So I could see them doing it.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Possibly. At the least, we know there will be 8 Rifts before the Smith event ends. That said, we don't know what will happen with the Season 2 Pass, which could have another character on the Pass like Jason(and SamuraiJack and PowerpuffGirls have been both rumoured for Season 2).
Assuming 2 characters per Season doesn't happen(which would be 12 characters a year and that would be incredibly meaty), 6 characters a year wouldn't be all that bad in general, considering Mortal Kombat 1 announced 6 DLC characters and they are all released within 1 year. And both certainly got more per year than Street Fighter VI, with it getting 4 DLC characters a year, and how it took 3 years altogether to get 12 DLC characters for Smash Ultimate, and only 5(Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo&Kazooie and Terry) were released within 1 year, with 4 the following year and then 3 the year after that.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Honestly I could see us getting one more character for this season. The datamined events don't show any hints towards future characters, so I could see them adding this last fighter in the fighter store just like Joker. Not sure who it would be tho.

Adding one character per season would be really, really dumb.

So I could see them doing it.
So we're just gonna forget about Jason and Joker?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Joker, Banana Guard and Jason were launch characters. Can we really count them as season 1 characters?
Maybe Jason since he requires the Season 1 Pass? At least, last time I checked, he's currently not on the Fighter Store.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you think this game won’t last a year, you’re a doomer fr. Lay off the social media and meditate or something. :nifty:

Let’s get past the third season before we talk about a definite death date. The online community of course hates the F2P w/MTX models, but they’re successful for a reason.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Possibly. At the least, we know there will be 8 Rifts before the Smith event ends. That said, we don't know what will happen with the Season 2 Pass, which could have another character on the Pass like Jason(and SamuraiJack and PowerpuffGirls have been both rumoured for Season 2).
Assuming 2 characters per Season doesn't happen(which would be 12 characters a year and that would be incredibly meaty), 6 characters a year wouldn't be all that bad in general, considering Mortal Kombat 1 announced 6 DLC characters and they are all released within 1 year. And both certainly got more per year than Street Fighter VI, with it getting 4 DLC characters a year, and how it took 3 years altogether to get 12 DLC characters for Smash Ultimate, and only 5(Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo&Kazooie and Terry) were released within 1 year, with 4 the following year and then 3 the year after that.
Even if Smith is it for this season (which I'm not entirely sold on), I think every other season will have at minimum two characters: one on day 1 in the pass(ala Jason), and one mid season (like Smith). This being the relaunch season makes things weird.
Honestly I could see us getting one more character for this season. The datamined events don't show any hints towards future characters, so I could see them adding this last fighter in the fighter store just like Joker. Not sure who it would be tho.
If we're getting another character this season, I think it'll be either Samurai Jack or The Wicked Witch. The former has a more or less complete moveset in the code, the latter has been in the code for years and fits the season's theme better.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Joker, Banana Guard and Jason were launch characters. Can we really count them as season 1 characters?
I don't see why not. We didn't even know we would start over at season 1 untill we got the Joker gameplay trailer.

Jason is part of the Season 1 Battle Pass and Banana Guard wasn't even playable at launch for anyone.

Faso115

Smash Lord
2 characters a season seems to be the schedule they are going for, so for the rest of the year i expect getting 4 more characters.

Btw, i noticed fights in Crushing become a lot more manageable once you hit level 5. I suppose it work a similar way for Insanity

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I love how before launch people where scared that characters would released too fast, and now we're back to being scared characters will release too slowly and characters will end up unreleased before a shutdown.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I love how before launch people where scared that characters would released too fast, and now we're back to being scared characters will release too slowly and characters will end up unreleased before a shutdown.
If WB follows through with the Suicide Squad game completing it's currant roadmap before anything happens to it, hopefully they'll also do the same for Multiversus before they fully decide on what it's future is. Letting Multiversus complete it's currant workings would give the game a chance to change it's future around during the game's lifespan.
The last thing then is WB needing to be serious about turning the game's future around and letting PFG give Multiversus some of the crucial updates needed to help Multiversus.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
To be fair, there's a difference between "one character every two weeks" and "nothing notable between launch and July"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I managed to win Top Dog and got the gold badge, but I can’t equip it, as if it doesn’t exist.

Hope it’s just a bug. It was kinda cool. :mybodyisreggie:

kylexv

Smash Master
My thought is that we'll get Agent Smith (and in turn a patch) in a couple weeks.

• Right now, there's 5 rifts in the game, but we know that there are 8 this season. Rift 5 opens up next week, so we'll likely get a patch to add the final 3 rifts after that.
  • Two weeks from now is the halfway point of the season.

I think this would set a precedent at the rate new characters come out too:
  • Two characters at the start of a new season - 1 unlocked by purchasing the Battle Pass and another available in the shop.
  • One character at the halfway point of a season - would be unlocked through clearing Rifts.

Last edited:
If you think this game won’t last a year, you’re a doomer fr. Lay off the social media and meditate or something. :nifty:

Let’s get past the third season before we talk about a definite death date. The online community of course hates the F2P w/MTX models, but they’re successful for a reason.
Let's not act like it isn't a valid concern for a game that's more buggy and messy than the beta with a struggling launch that is continuously burning players and goodwill away. It launched without bare minimum features that alpha player tests had alongside communication being cut-down. The unrest and **** talk with MVS is everywhere. The public and even its own fanbase had a nasty 180 toward the game.

MVS is published by a company notorious for mistreating its stuff for "tax write-offs". The concerns aren't really as doomer-pilled as you're complaining about. Not all F2P stuff is guaranteed to be successful lmao especially when MVS is way less player friendly than Fortnite.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Let's not act like it isn't a valid concern for a game that's more buggy and messy than the beta with a struggling launch that is continuously burning players and goodwill away. It launched without bare minimum features that alpha player tests had alongside communication being cutdown. The unrest and **** talk with MVS is everywhere.
This reminds me of when Tekken 8 launched in January and all you heard for the first few months was negativity about greedy business practices and outlandish bugs to the point where fighters and game modes didn’t work properly.

No way they’re shutting it down by the end of the first season. There are valid concerns but its not getting axed so soon. The current playerbase has declined but it’s still a healthy amount.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
PFG Update from their Twitter:

They admit the starter daily login was too strict by making it so you had to log in every day.

Future login events will have more leeway. Plus the starter daily login is coming back and will now last the rest of season 1. As long as you log in 11 days you get all the rewards.

Ivander

Smash Legend
PFG Update from their Twitter:

They admit the starter daily login was too strict by making it so you had to log in every day.

Future login events will have more leeway. Plus the starter daily login is coming back and will now last the rest of season 1. As long as you log in 11 days you get all the rewards.
Well, that's nice to hear. I think the other thing that would be nice is a timer for when an Event ends, so that it's easier for people to see when an event is ending or about to end.

Faso115

Smash Lord
See, i get the feeling the devs really want to respect our time but they are beholden to WB shenanigans. They seem to listen to our complaints but because things take time to fix and internet doesn't have patience nowdays, people rather call the game dead instead of waiting around.

Granted, we reached a critical mass where live service games are a dime a dozen and have 0 respect for your time but i have a good feeling that MVS can find their own niche and dedicated community

Good to know they are taking steps to reduce FOMO. If they are truthful...

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think the biggest FOMO stuff that needs to be toned down is:
  1. Making sure the Weeklies are not restricted to characters you don't have. Like getting the Joker and "Win with a character from "Franchise" that you don't have currently" Weeklies in particular are not fun to get especially for when you have the Battlepass.
  2. The Skin requirements are also not fun to deal with, especially in terms of this new Event where for one of the Missions, you need either Superman or Wonder Woman with the Shirt to get that Mission done. If you successfully did the Joker event fully, you'll have the Wonder Woman shirt, but Wonder Woman right now is not part of the Character Rotation while Superman is and compared to WW, you need to buy the shirt skin for Superman. Meaning for an F2P, unless they got Wonder Woman with their Fighter currency, they will miss out on that mission.
    I would be more lax on the character restrictions due to the Weekly Rotation and if they rotated to characters who you will need for upcoming events and whatnot, but when you get only 4 to 5 characters a week and there is both a character AND a skin restriction for missions you need to do, it can understandably be infuriating. It is very scummy to do.
And I know part of the reason those two are likely the way they are is because of WB wanting people to buy both characters and skins, but people are more willing to support a game if the game respects their time and currant limits compared to when the game forces them to either miss out on stuff or buy stuff to not miss out on stuff.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when Tekken 8 launched in January and all you heard for the first few months was negativity about greedy business practices and outlandish bugs to the point where fighters and game modes didn’t work properly.

No way they’re shutting it down by the end of the first season. There are valid concerns but its not getting axed so soon. The current playerbase has declined but it’s still a healthy amount.
Here's the thing. Tekken isn't run by an imploding Warner Bros (it's why everyone feared MVS would get axed during the declining "Marvin era" of the beta) and it's a paid game. MVS being live service makes the numbers and engagement much more important on average.

MVS will last past S1 for sure, anyone who says otherwise is doomer-pilled. 1 season won't take up a year though, a lot can happen during a year: positive or negative. Fears of it dying are a valid concern, it'd be very easy for PFG to mess up.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
It’d be nice if, in Rifts that require a particular character, they let you borrow the character even if you don’t have them. You already can test characters against bots as much as you want in Training Mode, so letting players use characters in a handful of rifts probably wouldn’t unbalance the economy too much. It’d also allow you to do dailies and weeklies that require those characters.

…Or maybe it would heavily cut into their profits, idk. How many people are actually buying characters with raw Gleamium, anyway? Ugh…

Ivander

Smash Legend
It’d be nice if, in Rifts that require a particular character, they let you borrow the character even if you don’t have them. You already can test characters against bots as much as you want in Training Mode, so letting players use characters in a handful of rifts probably wouldn’t unbalance the economy too much. It’d also allow you to do dailies and weeklies that require those characters.

…Or maybe it would heavily cut into their profits, idk. How many people are actually buying characters with raw Gleamium, anyway? Ugh…
There are some that do that already. In Jason's Rift on the first mission, you need to play Finn in that mission and if you don't have him, they let you use him. Jason is also required for some of them, but 3 of them allow you to play Jason without needing to have him. So some of the missions do let you use the character if you don't have them. It's just not all of them that require a character do sadly.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It’d be nice if, in Rifts that require a particular character, they let you borrow the character even if you don’t have them.
They let you do this, but only if the rift does not disclose who is required beforehand (so if it doesn’t list a character or attribute but forces you to use a character the game will let you borrow the character to clear the rift. This ensures the end of the rift can still be reached).

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sorry for double posting but we have a pfg thread of things being worked on:

Ivander

Smash Legend

For those who can't see the following messages due to not being logged in, these are the following messages/things they are working on and what they say about them.
  1. -Improving Xbox performance
    -Lowering match desync rates
    -Removal of some gameplay loops that had little counterplay

A patch is coming soon that should be a good step in the right direction of addressing these 3 issues.
  2. On top of this, we're working on and testing the following features, which we know are important to players. We'll share updates on each as they become available.

-Spectator in Custom Games
    -Free-For-All Queue
    -Setting to Swap Neutral & Forward Attacks

3. -Setting to Turn Off Team Colors
    -Setting to Adjust Input Buffers
    -End of Game Stats
    -Allowing Players to Keep Their Party Together When Going from PvP to Rifts/PvE (and back again)
    -Replay Button for Rifts/PvE to Immediately Begin a Node Again

4. -Dedicated Neutral Dodge Button Setting
    -Camera Adjustments for 1v1 Matches
    -Ranked Mode (we wanted a bit more time to get our balance right before unleashing Ranked)

5. We’re re-evaluating Batlepass progression. Additionally, we’re evaluating where we're distributing Battlepass XP. For this season we’ll be adding more Battlepass XP to PVP matches. We’re increasing XP to 50xp up from 10xp for a win and 25xp up from 5xp for a loss.
  6. We will be evaluating and making additional adjustments for Season 2. Going forward we will ensure all PVE Rifts can have access to rewards without being forced to play co-op; it will get you there faster if you do play co-op.
  7. On the balance front, our goal is always to make every character fun to play as, with, and against, so we’ll be continuing to tune and balance each fighter to provide the best possible gameplay experience.
  8. Keep in mind, timing for adding features and implementing fixes could shift based on testing and other factors, but we wanted to give a quick preview of our current priorities. Thanks!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

This is really good news! If all of this gets fixed, I'll feel really confident in this game's future.

I do wish they would give us a rough estimate of how often to expect new characters and stages though. The Water Tower is done and available in a rift, even unlocking it for PVP would really help.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm glad to see that the Battle Pass experience for PvP matches has already been updated; now I feel somewhat hopeful about getting Jason's Moonwalk taunt. (I'm less confident about getting the Jason X skin, but I'll be perfectly happy if I just get that taunt)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For those who can't see the following messages due to not being logged in, these are the following messages/things they are working on and what they say about them.
  1. -Improving Xbox performance
    -Lowering match desync rates
    -Removal of some gameplay loops that had little counterplay

A patch is coming soon that should be a good step in the right direction of addressing these 3 issues.
  2. On top of this, we're working on and testing the following features, which we know are important to players. We'll share updates on each as they become available.

-Spectator in Custom Games
    -Free-For-All Queue
    -Setting to Swap Neutral & Forward Attacks

3. -Setting to Turn Off Team Colors
    -Setting to Adjust Input Buffers
    -End of Game Stats
    -Allowing Players to Keep Their Party Together When Going from PvP to Rifts/PvE (and back again)
    -Replay Button for Rifts/PvE to Immediately Begin a Node Again

4. -Dedicated Neutral Dodge Button Setting
    -Camera Adjustments for 1v1 Matches
    -Ranked Mode (we wanted a bit more time to get our balance right before unleashing Ranked)

5. We’re re-evaluating Batlepass progression. Additionally, we’re evaluating where we're distributing Battlepass XP. For this season we’ll be adding more Battlepass XP to PVP matches. We’re increasing XP to 50xp up from 10xp for a win and 25xp up from 5xp for a loss.
  6. We will be evaluating and making additional adjustments for Season 2. Going forward we will ensure all PVE Rifts can have access to rewards without being forced to play co-op; it will get you there faster if you do play co-op.
  7. On the balance front, our goal is always to make every character fun to play as, with, and against, so we’ll be continuing to tune and balance each fighter to provide the best possible gameplay experience.
  8. Keep in mind, timing for adding features and implementing fixes could shift based on testing and other factors, but we wanted to give a quick preview of our current priorities. Thanks!
This is pretty much every major complaint I have. I dunno if this will save the game, but I'll certainly be happy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm glad to see that the Battle Pass experience for PvP matches has already been updated; now I feel somewhat hopeful about getting Jason's Moonwalk taunt. (I'm less confident about getting the Jason X skin, but I'll be perfectly happy if I just get that taunt)
For the 50XP, it would require 40 won battles to level up the Battlepass once. So 80 if you were to lose each battle. Winning 3 PVP Battles each day as required for Dailies would be 21 Battles won per week, which would be just above half of a Battlepass Level Up.

That said, if you do enough battles to level up the Battlepass once per day, with the currant amount of days left(I think we're between 5-6 weeks, so around 38 days), that would be around 38 levels which should definitely reach the Moonwalk emote if you're around Level 18-20 on the Pass.
And that's not counting the Weeklies which if you get all 6 weeks done(and get lucky with as long as you don't get character specific Weeklies) is 7500 XP per week, which would be 22 Battlepass Levels if done for all 6 weeks. So 38+22 would be 60 Levels which would absolutely get you Uber Jason if you are even past Level 10 and if you get lucky with your Weeklies. And that's not counting all the Battle XP we'll be getting from Events.

Last edited:
Top Bottom