• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

It's a shame the coolest designed plat-fighter characters are locked in the messiest sorriest game I've seen in a long time. Praying for the Aquaman, PPG, Jack and any other character to slide in while they still can.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I dunno, i still like the gameplay loop. I feel like i'm crazy cause everyone else is so doom and gloom with this game. I know the monetization and grinding are a huge problem, but i'm willing to trust PFG....for a year at least.

It also helps that the Platform fighter market is not super accessible to the casual market and MVS has a huge pull with the roster choices. If they can keep a decent playerbase for a while, they might be able to just get by without daddy WB pulling the plug. MVS is not as a big ****show as Suicide Squad

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I dunno, i still like the gameplay loop. I feel like i'm crazy cause everyone else is so doom and gloom with this game. I know the monetization and grinding are a huge problem, but i'm willing to trust PFG....for a year at least.

It also helps that the Platform fighter market is not super accessible to the casual market and MVS has a huge pull with the roster choices. If they can keep a decent playerbase for a while, they might be able to just get by without daddy WB pulling the plug. MVS is not as a big ****show as Suicide Squad
It’s more they can’t seem to keep the game from not breaking. The game IS fun, but how much fun can you have when it doesn’t even work?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

A year is way too long to trust them, player numbers are already dropping super fast, way faster than beta actually. That being said, I don't think they're going to pull the plug that fast, especially with the team supposedly having content already ready to be released. I think worst case MVS will end up like Disney speedstorm, which is a game that have a very, very small community, but a lot of them are huge Disney fans that are willing to pay a lot of money to play as their favorite character. I feel that the same thing will happen with MVS, it won't have a huge fighting or competitive community, but just a small community that are still willing to put money in the game just because of WB franchise.

A year is way too long to trust them, player numbers are already dropping super fast, way faster than beta actually. That being said, I don't think they're going to pull the plug that fast, especially with the team supposedly having content already ready to be released. I think worst case MVS will end up like Disney speedstorm, which is a game that have a very, very small community, but a lot of them are huge Disney fans that are willing to pay a lot of money to play as their favorite character. I feel that the same thing will happen with MVS, it won't have a huge fighting or competitive community, but just a small community that are still willing to put money in the game just because of WB franchise.
Problem is, everyone's fear-mongering because Warner is quicker to write off projects for tax write offs than Disney is. PFG may not pull the plug but there's nothing stopping Warner Bros from doing it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Right now, I'm going at the game at a leisure pace. I'm not doing a whole lot of PvP battles aside from mainly what the game asks me to do, like the Win 3 PvP battles and do 5 1v1/2v2 PvP battles and just taking my time doing stuff and after I'm done, play through my other games I'm doing. I feel at the rate they are doing things, it's best to take your time with what the game gives you to do instead of playing non-stop waiting for stuff to happen.
Right now, it's honestly not asking for much. It takes about under an hour for me to do the daily missions from Rifts and the Daily missions in general. So that gives me plenty of breathing space with other games I'm working on and takes away most of my focus on the Multiversus doomposting.
I don't know what's going to happen in the future regarding Multiversus. All I know is that it's best not to stay up dooming and glooming all day about it and hope that the game eventually gets back up in the long run.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think I figured out why the first rift cauldron needs at least one mission cleared with a friend.

The first mission is glitched and supposed to have a CPU ally. Note how one of the objectives is to free an ally from a bubble? Human players cannot end up in a bubble, only CPU players can.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think I figured out why the first rift cauldron needs at least one mission cleared with a friend.

The first mission is glitched and supposed to have a CPU ally. Note how one of the objectives is to free an ally from a bubble? Human players cannot end up in a bubble, only CPU players can.
No, your partner does. For the person who started the Rift room, they have lives while the 2nd person who joins the room is put into a bubble whenever they are KO'd(which also means that only one person can get the challenge done at a time). So no, it's not a bug. But it's still dumb that there is no CPU partner to help with that mission, because the other two Rifts can be completed without doing the multiplayer stuff and for some reason, both's first mission has you with a CPU partner(both being Velma).
So really, all that needs to be done is either change that one challenge in the mission or put in a CPU ally for that mission.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
No, your partner does. For the person who started the Rift room, they have lives while the 2nd person who joins the room is put into a bubble whenever they are KO'd(which also means that only one person can get the challenge done at a time). So no, it's not a bug. But it's still dumb that there is no CPU partner to help with that mission, because the other two Rifts can be completed without doing the multiplayer stuff and for some reason, both's first mission has you with a CPU partner(both being Velma).
So really, all that needs to be done is either change that one challenge in the mission or put in a CPU ally for that mission.
That’s not at all what happened when I did the mission on hard with another player.

The other player never went into a bubble for me to break.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's what happened with me when I used my Steam account with a different WB account to go with my PSN account. My Steam account couldn't join my PSN account so I had my PSN account join my Steam account in the Rift Challenge and what happened was that when my Steam account character died, they were brought to life normally and lost lives, but when my PSN account character died, they were put into the bubble and my Steam account character had to get them out.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, if we're reaching a point where they put in filler fighters like Mr. Meeseeks and all of that stuff is actually real. I would've taken that echo fighter idea they were considering.

We've already got one with Banana Guard. It's gonna happen.
That's what I'm saying. Banana Guard was already ludicrous but Meeseeks too? At this point clone characters would've been better, at least then the "it'd be easier on the devs" excuse would actually make sense since they're not wasting resources on unique kits (poorly executed ones at that). Plus the echoes had a better pool of characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's what I'm saying. Banana Guard was already ludicrous but Meeseeks too? At this point clone characters would've been better, at least then the "it'd be easier on the devs" excuse would actually make sense since they're not wasting resources on unique kits (poorly executed ones at that). Plus the echoes had a better pool of characters.
If Meeseeks is a character, they were probably made him a character because they already had a model made for them from being part of Rick's moveset, then they did the animations for them regarding the tutorial where Marvin summons them and so were probably like, "Why not make him a character? He's already got a bunch of animations made for him, why not go the full mile and have him use the animations he currently has as part of his moveset?"
I mean, it somewhat happened in Smash Bros with Chrom, where Chrom had a model from Robin's Final Smash and victory pose and then they made him an Echo Fighter when he was a popular want in the Ballot, while still being part of Robin's Final Smash and Victory animation.
Like I can understand being a bit frustrated with two "joke" characters, but in Meeseeks' case, they made both a model for him and gave him a bunch of animations already, so already he would take less time then a character that needs to be made from scratch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, honestly it's already the same sort of thing. Look at Banana Guard's moveset. It's incredibly basic, he doesn't even have a passive, and all of the new animations for his moves are incredibly limited. Stuff like "stab forward" and "stab down." The most complex one is either "spin the spear above his head" or "cry." You can't really say it's a waste of resources when it's already the most "thrown together over the course of a weekend" character I've seen in a long time.

And it's a matter of taste I guess, but while I'm not thrilled with either prospect, Banana Guard and Meeseeks are at least better to me than Pickle Rick being a clone instead of an alt, or Big Chungus wasting a spot at all.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm not a Rick and Morty nor MVS fan, but I don't really get how Meeseeks constitutes a "joke character" in any means of the word, at least not any more than any other comedy character, since he's one of the most popular, quoted, and merchandised characters in the show. But then again, I also don't get how Piranha Plant is supposed to be a "joke character", so whatever

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'm pretty excited for tomorrow's new rift because we'll probably get the Dexter mech boss fight they showed in the rifts trailer.

If Meeseeks is a character, they were probably made him a character because they already had a model made for them from being part of Rick's moveset, then they did the animations for them regarding the tutorial where Marvin summons them and so were probably like, "Why not make him a character? He's already got a bunch of animations made for him, why not go the full mile and have him use the animations he currently has as part of his moveset?"
I mean, it somewhat happened in Smash Bros with Chrom, where Chrom had a model from Robin's Final Smash and victory pose and then they made him an Echo Fighter when he was a popular want in the Ballot, while still being part of Robin's Final Smash and Victory animation.
Like I can understand being a bit frustrated with two "joke" characters, but in Meeseeks' case, they made both a model for him and gave him a bunch of animations already, so already he would take less time then a character that needs to be made from scratch.
But that's the issue for me. Chrom was at least a clone and you can visibly see that they took zero time making him (his model wasn't really upgraded like Banana Guard and Meeseeks were, he looks very jank lmao). And he's a beloved iconic character to boot. Meeseeks and Banana Guard, even with their models and animations, are going to be fully unique characters with unique kits they clearly put a noticeable amount of time and effort into for what's essentially amounting to phoned in joke characters.

They're joke characters that don't lean into the joke well enough for my liking to at least make their inclusions somewhat cool.

I mean, honestly it's already the same sort of thing. Look at Banana Guard's moveset. It's incredibly basic, he doesn't even have a passive, and all of the new animations for his moves are incredibly limited. Stuff like "stab forward" and "stab down." The most complex one is either "spin the spear above his head" or "cry." You can't really say it's a waste of resources when it's already the most "thrown together over the course of a weekend" character I've seen in a long time.

And it's a matter of taste I guess, but while I'm not thrilled with either prospect, Banana Guard and Meeseeks are at least better to me than Pickle Rick being a clone instead of an alt, or Big Chungus wasting a spot at all.
I disagree simply being making new animations will always be more work than copy pasting existing animations. Especially when Banana Guard's animations aren't exactly thrown together, they still look about as serviceable as the rest. There's real effort there without any of the commitment to make him fun. Banana Guard isn't even written well at least, he has nothing that made the guards funny in Adventure Time. To me, he's a failed joke character on every level. He feels so manufactured and forced.

I agree that Pickle Rick and Big Chungus are just as stupid, but I dunno. What I read about how they would work sounds a little better than a half-serious, half-joke boring inclusions we have now that are fully unique. Chungus just intentionally being a ****tier Bugs gives off Dan Hibiki energy. And Pickle Rick's datamined dialogue is already way better than Banana Guard's lmao. Oh and at least with the clones the inclusions in that pool wouldn't be completely awful. Genuinely cool characters would get the chance to shine like Nubia or possibly Shazam, there'd be a lot of potential there while making the effort SIGNIFICANTLY easier on the devs than just making unique "filler chars" who clearly take more effort than clones.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Sorry to double post but.

But that's the issue for me. Chrom was at least a clone and you can visibly see that they took zero time making him (his model wasn't really upgraded like Banana Guard and Meeseeks were, he looks very jank lmao). And he's a beloved iconic character to boot. Meeseeks and Banana Guard, even with their models and animations, are going to be fully unique characters with unique kits they clearly put a noticeable amount of time and effort into for what's essentially amounting to phoned in joke characters.

They're joke characters that don't lean into the joke well enough for my liking to at least make their inclusions somewhat cool.

I disagree simply being making new animations will always be more work than copy pasting existing animations. Especially when Banana Guard's animations aren't exactly thrown together, they still look about as serviceable as the rest. There's real effort there without any of the commitment to make him fun. Banana Guard isn't even written well at least, he has nothing that made the guards funny in Adventure Time. To me, he's a failed joke character on every level. He feels so manufactured and forced.

I agree that Pickle Rick and Big Chungus are just as stupid, but I dunno. What I read about how they would work sounds a little better than a half-serious, half-joke boring inclusions we have now that are fully unique. Chungus just intentionally being a ****tier Bugs gives off Dan Hibiki energy. And Pickle Rick's datamined dialogue is already way better than Banana Guard's lmao. Oh and at least with the clones the inclusions in that pool wouldn't be completely awful. Genuinely cool characters would get the chance to shine like Nubia or possibly Shazam, there'd be a lot of potential there while making the effort SIGNIFICANTLY easier on the devs than just making unique "filler chars" who clearly take more effort than clones.
While I agree Banana Guard is incredibly lame in execution, I feel like if they're going to hoard characters as stop gaps the same way they did with Marvin back in the beta, I'd rather it be second string characters like Mr. Meeseeks than characters anyone would actually care about, like, well, Marvin.

It's been a worry of mine that, for instance, Daffy Duck, one of my most wanted characters, would get held back in a similar way, when that's a character people would actually want to play as ASAP. They seem to be a lot further in and are staggering releases more thoughtfully now, so stop gap characters stand to wait a very long time before they'd have hope of being released. No one's going to be mad about having to wait for Mr. Meeseeks, Pickle Rick or Big Chungus the same way they would about a more unique character.

Sorry to double post but.

While I agree Banana Guard is incredibly lame in execution, I feel like if they're going to hoard characters as stop gaps the same way they did with Marvin back in the beta, I'd rather it be second string characters like Mr. Meeseeks than characters anyone would actually care about, like, well, Marvin.

It's been a worry of mine that, for instance, Daffy Duck, one of my most wanted characters, would get held back in a similar way, when that's a character people would actually want to play as ASAP. They seem to be a lot further in and are staggering releases more thoughtfully now, so stop gap characters stand to wait a very long time before they'd have hope of being released. No one's going to be mad about having to wait for Mr. Meeseeks, Pickle Rick or Big Chungus the same way they would about a more unique character.
Well yeah, worthwhile characters being stop gaps is out of the question for me: preference-wise at least, I'd never suggest that over the Banana or Meeseeks. I remember they planned on making semi-clone/"echoes" the stop gap characters back during that beta and that option just looked preferable to me now. I would've taken the ****ty meme clones since there'd be a bigger quantity of cooler clones joining them. The potential of clones would be limitless AND easier on the devs too than fully unique characters like the banana.

I wonder what the odds are of us getting both the mooks and the clones lmao.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I wonder what the odds are of us getting both the mooks and the clones lmao.
Probably pretty good, I'd say, I mean, I dunno what other mooks they could add besides Meeseeks and Banana Guard and there aint no way NEPTR is getting in, especially with BMO in moveset cameo hell, so clones/semi-clones as stopgaps doesn't seem so out of the question.

Faso115

Smash Lord
This new rift doesn't allow you to play on experienced. How the hell are we gonna be able to beat 20 bosses if the last 2 straight up have one less difficulty.

I swear they need to fix the smith event ASAP cause it's so confusing

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This new rift doesn't allow you to play on experienced. How the hell are we gonna be able to beat 20 bosses if the last 2 straight up have one less difficulty.

From what I remember reading, they plan to add more rifts. Especially since with just 5 rifts it is actually impossible to complete the event and get every reward as there are not 30 rifts to complete (counting each difficulty as one rift).

Ivander

Smash Legend

If we get a new Rift every week to when the Smith event ends, we'll get 9 Rifts before he goes. Meaning all you would need to do to get Smith is get the first 2 difficulties done on each one, and then at least 2 Rifts on Crushing difficulty.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If we get a new Rift every week to when the Smith event ends, we'll get 9 Rifts before he goes. Meaning all you would need to do to get Smith is get the first 2 difficulties done on each one, and then at least 2 Rifts on Crushing difficulty.
What Faso is saying is that the Experienced Difficulty is not available from this point on, meaning only Easy, Crushing, and Looney (requires a average gem level of 7) are available.

While I’m here, there’s 3 more observations of this rift:

1. Some missions require you to use a Friday the 13th character while one of the bonus objectives is win with a DC character. Right now the only ways to do this are play coop (the restriction only applies to player 1), buy the Joker’s Jason mask, or wait for the Black Adam’s mask to unlock tomorrow.
2. Although not required to beat the rift for Agent Smith, there are some missions requiring LeBron James. Again, these are not required to complete the rift.
It seems as though a Matrix style version of the Warner Lot is part of this rift, suggesting the stage is almost here.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
What Faso is saying is that the Experienced Difficulty is not available from this point on, meaning only Easy, Crushing, and Looney (requires a average gem level of 7) are available.

1. Some missions require you to use a Friday the 13th character while one of the bonus objectives is win with a DC character. Right now the only ways to do this are play coop (the restriction only applies to player 1), buy the Joker’s Jason mask, or wait for the Black Adam’s mask to unlock tomorrow.
2. Although not required to beat the rift for Agent Smith, there are some missions requiring LeBron James. Again, these are not required to complete the rift.
It seems as though a Matrix style version of the Warner Lot is part of this rift, suggesting the stage is almost here.
Also Dexter is there in all but appearance and name at the end. They even wrote out his accent in his dialogue.

Rift itself is kinda eh. Some cool effects but otherwise it's nothing special storywise. They seem to be using Banana Guard when they just want a "generic" character they don't have to do anything specific with which just adds to the frustration of how out of character he is.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Yeah, I saw. Hopefully, it's just a bug and not a limitation. And if Velma and Wonder Woman's shirt skins were anything to go by, Black Adam's mask may not be able to be unlocked right away. And hopefully, Velma or Wonder Woman are part of the Rotation tomorrow. Starting to get annoyed at these character/skin restriction missions, especially when Daily missions get locked behind those and I can't level up my Gems with those missions.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Just finished the new rift on both Easy and Crushing difficulty. Pretty good rift honestly. The Dexter boss was easily the best part, but the computer "boss" was also a nice surprise, albeit very easy to defeat. (Especially with Bugs Bunny's rocket, both bosses can be beaten pretty quickly.)

We also got our first look at the Water Tower... Kinda... Hope it'll be added in the matchmaking this week.

The Friday the 13th Masks exclusive mission are kinda annoying. Infact, all of those skin exclusive missions are. The Arya and Joker skins are purchaseable and the Black Adam skin is gonna be in tomorrow's event, which means for people that don't want to purchase those skins, you'll have to wait for tomorrow. That is if the Black Adam skin is easy to earn. I'm guessing the Harley is also gonna be part of an event cuz she's currently not in the shop.

Wish I could do the Insanity difficulty, but my gems are stuck at level 6.6 at the moment. Oh well...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Second quote because of some new info:

Edit: For those curious about how this translates to unlocking Agent Smith, one would have to do all rifts on Easy and Crushing, the first 3 on Experienced, and one rift on Insanity.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Edit: For those curious about how this translates to unlocking Agent Smith, one would have to do all rifts on Easy and Crushing, the first 3 on Experienced, and one rift on Insanity.
So not 9, but pretty close with 8. That's not too bad. Here's hoping Experienced eventually comes to the 4th Rift and comes for the other Rifts.

Because if the first three difficulties can be done on all Rifts, that's 24 Rifts. Then 6 Rifts on Insanity need to be done to get the last 6 rewards and hopefully, as long as all Rifts use only Chaos, Digital and Horror gems, we should eventually have our Gems reach Level 7 to do Insanity before the Smith event ends.
And hopefully, if the fact that players were able to enter Insanity on Jason's Rift is anything to go by, Insanity is later added to the early Rifts.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Just tried out the Insanity difficulty for the new rift (I used Gleamium for some gem XP) and good lord is it unfairly hard. Had to cheese my way through with Superman's super armor because getting hit in two hits would already KO you in some cases even with all of your gems at level 7. The computer boss especially was really difficult and required serious cheese tactics with Bug's Bunny's rocket.

I have yet to try the Dexter boss in this difficulty, but I bet it's gonna be really difficult aswell.

I really hope they'll nerf the difficulty a bit, cuz I don't see a lot of players enjoying this one.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I wonder if some of those unnannounced rifts are related to unannounced characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So how long do you think the game will last?

Top Bottom