• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I played a bunch of Multiversus today, mostly as my main Cake, and it was pretty cool. I did both of the currently available Rifts as well. (Leveling up your Gems to do the Rifts' higher difficulties sounds horrible, though, I'm not a big fan of that...)

There was one match where it glitched and sent me to the game's debug menu instead of to the match. Like, wow... what are the odds of that? I didn't mess with it too much, just in case, but I took a couple screenshots.

Papagenos says Aquaman was the mystery DC rep he teased forever ago. It was meant to be another movie tie-in promotion fighter but obviously missed the timing
Even though he's obviously a shill pick, I'm glad he got in. He could be very cool in a plat-fighter and he's fairly underappreciated so... this'd be nice to have a well designed fighting game moveset.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ahhhh

Mr. Meeseeks might be playable
looks at the Tutorial

I kinda had a feeling they would be. And that was without a datamine.
-----
That aside, got to try out Multiversus for the first time. I found myself having issues with muscle memory, but I had a blast, especially when I found myself looking for combos and succeeding quite well with connecting them. Also had fun and like the variety of different gameplay styles from the PvE mode, although I'm not particular a fan of the "Must have a teammate for one of the 5 stars", especially when combined with "Fight as one of the types of characters or as a specific character." that you don't have access to. But those aside, for the actual gameplay, I had quite alot of fun.

Also, from the Twitch Drops and the Youtube Live video Codes, I almost got enough Gleamium to get the Battle Pass, but in the end, I was 100 short and still am currently. All I need to do is get one of the characters to Lvl 15 or get that free 100 Gleamium from the Free Pass and I can get the main Pass and Jason.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Something I stumbled across looking up some of the game's voice lines:

Found an upload of Pickle Rick lines referring to Ruby Rose and Beetlejuice directly.

"I'll never understand American anime"
"How do you swing that scythe around with those skinny little arms"
etc.

"Teamed up with a bio-exoricst"
"Pickle and a dead guy, what a team"
etc.

Also worth noting that he makes several quips about being a skin, so it's unlikely that he's anything more than that.
Side note, they really delivered on these lines. Feels like they let Ian Cardoni just run wild with it - there are just multiple f-bombs outright.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Messing around in training stage, Mojo has specific lines with Batman, Joker and Velma. When defeated he even has lines complaining about those characters, so whatever "respawn" lines someone found might be just for the boss character in townsville unless im missing something

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
To Those who have a steam deck, i'm having trouble trying to get into the game on my handhield.

The game keeps telling me i need a microsoft visual program and i can't move my joystick to click yes, click the yes button with my buttons when it is highlighted, OR get my touchscreen working, i need help!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I had played a bit of the beta, so I gave Multiversus a shot yesterday. (getting Jason for free definitely helped)

I played it with keyboard and mouse, though I feel like I'd prefer using a controller. (I have a USB controller somewhere; I'll try using that) One thing I found annoying is that one daily challenge required you to use Banana Guard, who doesn't even unlock until today. I haven't really played enough to judge the gameplay (just a few single player matches, and even then, I played them on the easiest difficulty), but I'm willing to keep playing it and see how it goes.

EDIT: Apparently the "play as Banana Guard" challenge is bugged, since no matter how many times you play as the Banana Guard, it won't progress.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I asked before, but do we have an updated character identification list now that we know who C026 and C029 are supposed to be?

Because I don't recall what Black Adam's number was while we knew Joker was C028 from years back.
I'd love to know this too. All I know is apparently C026 was Samurai Jack and C029 was Aquaman.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I'd love to know this too. All I know is apparently C026 was Samurai Jack and C029 was Aquaman.

And then somehow we jump to C040 who's Mr. Meeseks and suddenly 11 characters are unaccounted for.

Order means nothing cause if i recall Black Adam was dead last back in the day. Or marvin was way before other characters

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And then somehow we jump to C040 who's Mr. Meeseks and suddenly 11 characters are unaccounted for.

Order means nothing cause if i recall Black Adam was dead last back in the day. Or marvin was way before other characters
Actually, all of those do have an explanation.

We know from the PapaGenos leaks that Black Adam was supposed to come out much later but higher-ups pushed him forward and made the team rush him out. Marvin, meanwhile, WAS finished early on, but was held off as a gap filler for whenever they fell behind on another character. So both of these are accounted for.

Mr. Meeseeks being where he is is likely because he's either not intended to be playable and is instead just the Training mode opponent, or he's being held off to be gap filler much like Banana Guard likely was.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The game is fun. I’m not used to the lack of shield or ledge grabs (never played beta build), but I’m trying to main Rick. He has great keep out tools, but I don’t understand how to get kills with him yet. My opps living on near-200% eating dash attack and post-portal side special.

It’s also hard to see which resources I have available when the UI is constantly moving with me, while I’m supposed to be looking at my opponent. :215: Anyways, I’ll probably unlock Marvin whenever I get enough experiences again.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I had played a bit of the beta, so I gave Multiversus a shot yesterday. (getting Jason for free definitely helped)

I played it with keyboard and mouse, though I feel like I'd prefer using a controller. (I have a USB controller somewhere; I'll try using that) One thing I found annoying is that one daily challenge required you to use Banana Guard, who doesn't even unlock until today. I haven't really played enough to judge the gameplay (just a few single player matches, and even then, I played them on the easiest difficulty), but I'm willing to keep playing it and see how it goes.
If it's the daily challenge I think it is, even with the Banana Guard, the challenge itself appears to be bugged, since me playing them today didn't add to it and by what I've heard, people who played the Banana Guard for both PvE and PvP didn't get it to move. And it is legitimately annoying that some of the Dailies, Weeklies and PvE Missions do require you to have a certain character.
I wouldn't have minded the Weeklies if they gave you the needed characters with the weekly rotation, which they do for Looney Toons and Heroic with Bugs Bunny and Wonder Woman, but three of the Weeklies require you to use Jason, Joker and a Steven Universe character, which neither Garnet or Steven are part of the Weekly rotation. They quickly give you enough Fighter Gems to get a 3,000 cost character, but Joker right now costs 6,000, meaning you need 9,000 Fighter Gems for both or you either need 1,000 Gleamium + 6000 Gems or 1,250 Gleamium + 3,000 Gems. Whereas a former Beta F2P player who gets the free Battle Pass could technically do one of the latter two as early as yesterday if they got the Twitch Drops and the Code drops during the Multiverses Youtube Livestream yesterday, it's not fun for an F2P who never got to play the Beta and more than likely will use the Gleamium for the Pass rather than a character.
---
That rant aside, at least the gameplay is still quite fun. I might've only went against Bots yesterday, but today, I actually got to face a couple players who were pretty competent and they were pretty evenly matches. Every hit and fail I had felt intentional in the sense that I felt good when I managed to successfully mind-game or hit my opponent and I could see the mistake I did when I got hit or mind-gamed myself. Had a lot of fun with them.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You know what, this game feels like it should be fun but something just feels so off about it and it's only gotten worse since the beta.

The gameplay feels very sluggish. It's slower than ever, and somehow manages to feel both too floaty and too heavy at the same time, like the characters are underwater.
It's too hard to kill with practically anyone, even the tanks. Every move seems to be too weak, knockback doesn't matter because recovery is too good across the board with how everyone can basically fly around the stage.
The stages are still just flat boxes. No unique terrain or anything, just flat surfaces with some breakable bits here and there.
The camera is WAY too close, the characters are too big, the stages are too small, the whole thing feels insanely cramped.
There's still too much **** on screen, and it still feels too chaotic.
Because it's so slow, weak, and floaty, matches can go on for what feels like forever.

All this together makes for a straight up unironically exhausting experience. I swear to god, this game makes me feel tired. Smash doesn't do that, NASB doesn't do that. MVS feels like I'm fighting the game itself as much as I'm fighting the opponent. Like I have to pull myself out of quicksand on the moon before I can give Batman a little slap on the nose. All this in extreme close up.

Adding to the frustration, the drops and missions are bugged. I still haven't gotten Volleyball Garnet, the Banana Guard mission doesn't work, the way they sent out codes on the Youtube thing yesterday was a disaster, and the amount of griding is ridiculous. Also the character writing doesn't seem to have improved much. Banana Guard feels nothing like the ones in the show, not even being voiced by the same guy, who's in the game already.

There's a lot to like about this game, but man, for the amount of grinding they expect you to do as a F2P player, the game just does not feel good to play right now.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only characters where I had issues KOing with were Banana Guard and Finn. Banana Guard has a great spike, but they definitely rely on their Neutral Special for reliable KOs with their other attacks.
Aside from his High five slap special, the only other move for Finn that I found KOs around 90-100% was his Dash attack, both of which aren't easy to pull off. But Finn can really stack up damage quickly and reliably in the first place, so him having non-easy KO moves that KO around 100% makes sense as the last thing you want is for a fast damaging character to have an easy to use and hit with KO attack.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Does anyone know how to get Fighter currency quick? I'm trying to unlock Joker but I only have 4.720 at the moment.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Does anyone know how to get Fighter currency quick? I'm trying to unlock Joker but I only have 4.720 at the moment.
Getting a character to Level 14 gives 600 currency altogether. That's really the only way aside from Career level and Rift Mode(One-time earns) to get Fighter Currency as the other ways are time-gated by Battle Pass XP and daily logins.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Getting a character to Level 14 gives 600 currency altogether. That's really the only way aside from Career level and Rift Mode(One-time earns) to get Fighter Currency as the other ways are time-gated by Battle Pass XP and daily logins.
Welp, guess I wont be able to play as Joker for a good while.

Also, is anyone else having serious lag when playing on Dexter's Lab? The choppy framerate makes the stage pretty much unplayable.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Welp, guess I wont be able to play as Joker for a good while.

Also, is anyone else having serious lag when playing on Dexter's Lab? The choppy framerate makes the stage pretty much unplayable.
From my experience yesterday (I’m on an Xbox Series X… which has it’s own troubles with the game) it does seem to lag more.
Likely has to do with the way the stage generates. Or the background is too intense with Dee Dee running around.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Geez some players just complain about one tjing and the game is DOA

Like of course a F2p is gonna be grindy, what did u expect? Buuing everything right off the bat is not feasable unless u want to spend 200+ dollars.

That said, its been generous enough for me. It seems i played before the tutorial change cause i got both Shaggy and Wonder Woman unlocked. Jason anf Banana being free and easy helps a lot too

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Like of course a F2p is gonna be grindy, what did u expect? Buuing everything right off the bat is not feasable unless u want to spend 200+ dollars.

That said, its been generous enough for me. It seems i played before the tutorial change cause i got both Shaggy and Wonder Woman unlocked. Jason anf Banana being free and easy helps a lot too
For Shaggy and WW, I know WW was free in the Beta for two months if you completed the tutorial before they changed it to Shaggy (plus her and Shaggy were on the cheaper end of cost in the beta).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Hence why people have wanted it to not be Free to Play from the very beginning? F2P is fine in games where there is no functional or mechanical difference between characters, but for games with unique characters - fighting games especially - this is net negative. Players need to be able to find a character they like quickly, and if they have to pay an exorbitant amount for a character then don't like how they play, they're less likely to stick with the game. If they want player retention, they need to either make everyone free and just charge for cosmetics, sell characters in reasonably prices sets or bundles of tickets (like they did before...) with an option to try before you buy, or do what KI did and get a one time purchase and you unlock everyone who releases from now until the game's done.

It is not okay to force a 100+ hour grind (that's only gonna get longer the more characters are added) in order to have access to the most importabt part of the game. It's objectively scummy and bad for the competitive future of the game because people need the ability to test matchups whenever they need. Doesn't matter if they play only one character if they need to be able to practice combo routes against a specific character, they will now have to buy a character they may not necessarily want otherwise, costing them $10 dollars a pop for old ones and $20 a pop for new ones (yeah, that's what it costs to get the Gleamium to buy one character.)

LimeTH

Smash Lord

It’s not the grinding, if the game was fun and felt good to play and rewarding to commit to, the grinding would be no problem. But it just isn’t.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Rick has several lines for Marcaline and a line about anime crossovers which could just be for RWBY but might be future proofing

mr. Meeseeks has mastery data which implies he might indeed be playable

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Rick has several lines for Marcaline and a line about anime crossovers which could just be for RWBY but might be future proofing

mr. Meeseeks has mastery data which implies he might indeed be playable
anime crossovers?,i mean that it can have anime characters from series who are on Crunchyroll (except High Guardian Spice and other Crunchyroll originals) or RWBY characters

Top Bottom