• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The website's roster got updated to add Banana Guard, Jason, and Joker. It was also heavily revamped to give each character their own page and you can now also filter characters by class and franchise. I also believe that Agent Smith will be an Assassin class character.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I do hope moving forward that the character choices are less beholden by what new show or movie is coming out. Like it's not a surprise Aquaman is totally another shill pick even if i like the guy more than Black Adam

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I do hope moving forward that the character choices are less beholden by what new show or movie is coming out. Like it's not a surprise Aquaman is totally another shill pick even if i like the guy more than Black Adam
Now that a lot of my more obvious higher rung picks are almost all accounted for, I hope they start going into the vault a little more. I'd pay any amount of money they ask for to be able to play as Brak.

That being said, I don't think character releases being beholden to what WB's putting out is going to be too much of an issue considering... WB isn't really putting anything out anymore.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I mean, aside from Black Adam I never felt characters were really chosen specifically based on new show or movie. Like sure, Joker is getting a new movie this year, but this is a character that was getting in either way considering his popularity, same with Matrix who have a very recent movies but it's one of WB biggest movie franchise. Friday the 13th hasn't got a movie in more than a decade, and most CN characters were getting (and that have been leaked) come from shows that stopped airing years ago. And again, I don't see Aquaman as a shill pick, it's one of DC biggest heroes, he was getting in either way eventually.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do we really think Aquaman is a shill pick? The movie came out a good while ago by now, I can't imagine that would really be the intent. Otherwise it's not like Aquaman is some unknown character, he's one of the more iconic DC heroes (just with somewhat questionable reputation / popularity - but I dunno, I like him).

I'm sure there will be some initiative to line up characters with their respective movies or season renewals or whatever. But outside of Adam, who is really the one glaring exception, it doesn't feel like any of the other characters were explicitly added with that as the main initiative. Like... Beetlejuice will probably drop around the time his new movie comes out, but we already knew he was coming ages ago.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The Banana Guard daily challenge just worked for me and I was able to get it done. It might have been fixed now, that or I somehow got lucky in it working for me finally.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Do we really think Aquaman is a shill pick? The movie came out a good while ago by now, I can't imagine that would really be the intent. Otherwise it's not like Aquaman is some unknown character, he's one of the more iconic DC heroes (just with somewhat of a questionable reputation - but I dunno, I like him).

I'm sure there will be some initiative to line up characters with their respective movies or season renewals or whatever. But outside of Adam, who is really the one glaring exception, it doesn't feel like any of the other characters were explicitly added with that as the main initiative. Like... Beetlejuice will probably drop around the time his new movie comes out, but we already knew he was coming ages ago.
Papagenos has said that was the intent. then the delay of both the game and film happened

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Papagenos has said that was the intent. then the delay of both the game and film happened
Huh, alright then. I assume that character would have eventually made it in either way, but perhaps that just made him higher priority than he would have been otherwise. I mean, I'm sure WB has some pull when it comes to who they'd like the team to add after all. I just think applying labels like "promotional pick" to an otherwise popular and recognizable character is a bit reductive and I'd rather not see that become a trend.

Outside of the DC heroes we already have, I feel like Aquaman is a natural step forward. Maybe The Flash as well, but that could have also been presented as a "promotional pick" for exactly the same reasons, lol. Both of them feel like sensible additions on their own terms.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah but my point is, while Black Adam was obviously pushed, Aquaman was definitely getting in next either way as far DC heroes go aside from arguably Green Lantern or Flash, so I don't think the movie ultimately matter that much.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Huh, alright then. I assume that character would have eventually made it in either way, but perhaps that just made him higher priority than he would have been otherwise. I mean, I'm sure WB has some pull when it comes to who they'd like the team to add after all. I just think applying labels like "promotional pick" to an otherwise popular and recognizable character is a bit reductive and I'd rather not see that become a trend.

Outside of the DC heroes we already have, I feel like Aquaman is a natural step forward. Maybe The Flash as well, but that could have also been presented as a "promotional pick" for exactly the same reasons, lol. Both of them feel like sensible additions on their own terms.
Oh I don't think Arthur should count as a shill pick too. He would have happened eventually anyway

Faso115

Smash Lord
Banana Guard also mentions Marceline so Rick is not the only one. I suppose future proofing her just in case.

Notice how all referenced characters were teased in the release trailer

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would kill for Pinky and/or Brain being fighters.
I honestly kinda want them more than the Warners. I'm not totally sure how it would work, but I'm thinking they could be something of a setup character where you can position Pinky around the stage and provoke certain traps or interactions within that radius from a distance, with Brain holding some sort of remote to trigger them. Although that's kinda close to what Tom & Jerry do, right? I'm sure they'd be a lot different just by nature of very different material, although I'm sure they would be similarly very slapstick heavy.

Alternatively, you could just have the Brain controlling a human sized mech suit with Pinky on his shoulder. I'm sure there are a dozen angles you can take with these two so I'm totally down for whatever they throw at us.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm so ****ing slow that my mind didn't register the fact there was something for a Pinky and the Brain stage.

I would kill for Pinky and/or Brain being fighters.
Now, I think since it doesn't use the actual theme tune, it might be for the Gremlins theater stage, but man, I'd love Pinky and the Brain in too.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I honestly kinda want them more than the Warners. I'm not totally sure how it would work, but I'm thinking they could be something of a setup character where you can position Pinky around the stage and provoke certain traps or interactions within that radius from a distance, with Brain holding some sort of remote to trigger them. Although that's kinda close to what Tom & Jerry do, right? I'm sure they'd be a lot different just by nature of very different material, although I'm sure they would be similarly very slapstick heavy.

Alternatively, you could just have the Brain controlling a human sized mech suit with Pinky on his shoulder. I'm sure there are a dozen angles you can take with these two so I'm totally down for whatever they throw at us.
The human "disguise" would be frigging hilarious, especially if he comments on how he's actually a lab mouse bent on taking over the world like he tends to do all the time in the show and nobody takes it seriously.
Even having anyone not Rick or Batman or someone of their intellect actually believe it's a human.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For Pinky and Brain, I'd actually like if they keep their size, similar to how Iron giant keep his size but obviously they would be small, similar to Jerry in Tom and Jerry. They would have very small range because of how small they are, but they make up for having lots of gadgets, and some of them could hurt themselves because they fail similar to Marvin electric gun.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I like the idea, but I feel like Warner Bros Deadpool won’t be coming for a while.

Does Spielberg have any other WB properties? I don’t remember who Jurassic Park belongs to, though I fear that’s Universal’s.
Jurassic Park is Universal Pictures.

Which should definitely do their own Platform Fighter. Back to the Future, Fast and the Furious, Woody Woodpecker, Universal Monsters, etc.

Pray that happens eventually. Cocaine Bear would totally be my main!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm wondering if this game will ever come to the Switch.
It could be planned, but regardless, I hope they do. Switch 2 would also be good while waiting for the next Smash Bros. But still, I would like to be able to bring my account on the go for local multiplayer with my cousins.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I played some more and... I just can't stand the speed. It feels like everyone is underwater and jumping is so minimal in 1v1. I genuinely don't know what they were thinking with this. They increased the size of the characters, but not the actual parameters of their jumping or speed. The second even a pixel of your character touches a blast zone you're dead. What the **** is with it?

For Pinky and Brain, I'd actually like if they keep their size, similar to how Iron giant keep his size but obviously they would be small, similar to Jerry in Tom and Jerry. They would have very small range because of how small they are, but they make up for having lots of gadgets, and some of them could hurt themselves because they fail similar to Marvin electric gun.
As cool as that would be, it'd be a nightmare to balance. Iron Giant is still feeling the effects of being so big. It'd also really hurt the readability of their game if their character is Jerry size or smaller.

I played some more and... I just can't stand the speed. It feels like everyone is underwater and jumping is so minimal in 1v1. I genuinely don't know what they were thinking with this. They increased the size of the characters, but not the actual parameters of their jumping or speed. The second even a pixel of your character touches a blast zone you're dead. What the **** is with it?
A common speculation point is that they designed the game around making functional netcode. Beta was too fast and the dodge system speeds up the game even in this current release. Old MVS went so fast that the netcode couldn't keep up.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
As cool as that would be, it'd be a nightmare to balance. Iron Giant is still feeling the effects of being so big. It'd also really hurt the readability of their game if their character is Jerry size or smaller.

A common speculation point is that they designed the game around making functional netcode. Beta was too fast and the dodge system speeds up the game even in this current release. Old MVS went so fast that the netcode couldn't keep up.
I mean that's not really an excuse when NASB2 has better netcode and runs faster on a ****tier budget.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Rest in Piece, Green Lantern's Chances i guess.

Atleast Raven's Pentagram Ritual means she has a chance since it's not present.
Honestly I find the placement of the Lantern there more suspicious than anything. No Lantern has been a core member of the Teen Titans, so why would a Lantern be there?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Honestly I find the placement of the Lantern there more suspicious than anything. No Lantern has been a core member of the Teen Titans, so why would a Lantern be there?
admittedly kyle was a titan for a brief stint in the mid 90s but honestly i reckon it's moreso just a dc-related cameo more than anything, akin to how trophy's edge has stuff like the city of kandor and an acme crate for some reason

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Trophy's Edge, I really feel they should either remove the Wonder Woman statue or just call the stage Themyscira at this point. The statue confuses everyone I've met.
Like, I get the idea that it pulls from SEVERAL worlds...but that's almost completely lost when one reference is SO much more prominent than the others.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Like, I get the idea that it pulls from SEVERAL worlds...but that's almost completely lost when one reference is SO much more prominent than the others.
EXACTLY! When I saw the stage originally I thought the acme crate just meant the game was gonna have crossover stage invasions like playstation all-stars or something. Because the Wonder Woman statue is just that prominent, I couldn't conceive it as an original stage.

Faso115

Smash Lord
It would be like battlefield having a giant-ahh Kirby in the background, and some mario and pokemon references barely visible.

Top Bottom