• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[moved] SSBB AT Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
B-reversals do the B moves in the new direction of motion.

Recoil specials do the B moves in the old direction of motion.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Recoil Specials are a type of B-Reversal, a specific 2 cases that have earned unique recognition. The most obvious and well known is the one originally demonstrated in all "wavebouncing" and early B-sticking videos, the case of starting moving right facing right, and ending moving left facing right. This particular case is accomplished by first initiating a turnaround B (now moving right, facing left) followed immediately by a B-Reversal (not facing right, moving left).

The second is the case of moving left facing right initially, and ending facing left moving right. This is, quite simply, merely a single B-Reversal.

These two cases receive special identification because they provide your character a well-appreciated method of performing a special while retreating in direction, and they are, for the most part, merely a particular use of the B-reversal and turnaround B.

The B-Reversal in general, however, refers to more than these two cases. There are 4 B-Reversal cases: (denoted as [direction of motion][direction faced] and -> used to indicate transition from initial to final states) RR->LL, RL->LR, LR->RL, LL->RR. Clearly, the third (and second, as the mirror) case is identical to the second Recoil Special, but the other two cases are distinctly unique.

The point is just that while small, a (arguably notable) distinction is made as to what, in particular, constitutes a Recoil Special. While this boundary is shady indeed, the definition initially referred only to the combination of turnaround B and B-Reversal to create the unique "retreating" effect of a commonly B-Sticked move.

One should not, for clarifying example, consider RR->LL or the reverse a Recoil Special.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Fox's Helicopter Kicks are ludicrous in light mini special brawl, not useful, but very fun.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
I noticed there isn't a MK specific section. Altho it's uses are limited, I found a little 'glitch' with Meta Knight that I posted awhile ago that might justify starting a section for him:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nkh6z4w3-uw

Notice all 3 slashs of the forward tilt come out almost "as one". This has a few uses; mostly for airborne opponents. It's not just "canceling the down tilt". Notice the significantly increased speed. Works good if you only do 2 hits of the forward tilt, as well.

This is done by doing a downtilt "canceled" into a forward tlit; but when you do the forward tilt, instead of holding forward kind of hold "down forward" (altho more down than forward).

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Cool stuff, guys. Thanks for the new material, Ezurus and HolyForce. Finally, another update!

Also, Second Jump Recovery and Infinite Second Jump Recovery will be added in the near future, once I figure out where it will fit and how the other Infinite Jump entries should be affected. Sweet technique, one that I will keep an eye on as it develops.

**edit: HolyForce, please check the new Meta Knight section for the "Mach F-tilt" (temporary name until I get your official name) and make sure that the input description is correct. The method I posted works, but you probably have a better way, which I'll post if you submit it here.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Jewdo,

Everything you have is fine. I call it the "Meta Tilt" but "Mach F-Tilt" sounds just fine; maybe even better.

The description should be sufficent for players to figure out how to do it.

Props on a job well done, as usual.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
From your thread,
- Slidestep
How to Perform: Do a sidestep dodge, holding Shield or Down throughout the animation.
Effect: The animation of the sidestep dodge gives Pit a small amount of forward momentum, moving him forward slightly.
There are a bunch of things found out about the Slidestep.

Along with Pit, Ganondorf is the only other character with this unique sidestep, although his is significantly lesser.

There is a discovery called the "Super Slidestep." This is a technique that greatly increases the slide from the Slidestep. Below is a quote and video explaining how to do it.

UndrDog said:
Hold back on the joystick during your SideStep. Then as you come out push forward. This will cause the character to slide forward while Pivoting. In this video you can see Pit preforming it, just for visual clarification. In the video I refer to it as a Super SlideStep. It's the last technique displayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vUpkV2mak
Ganon's super slidestep goes one times his own length forward.

One last note, if you sidestep very rapidly with these characters, you'll begin to move backwards. Probably not worth mentioning.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
A few techs for Yoshi that I didn't see in the OP

Egg Toss Slide
How to do: Run forward and press Jump while tossing an egg (Up-Forward or Up-Backward + B)
Effect: Yoshi will slide on the ground briefly while tossing an egg. He can also toss it behind him much more quickly using this method. He can use this as an approach, a retreat or a quick way to edgehog.

Egg Lay Cancel
How to do: Hit an opponent with the very tip of Yoshi's tongue while doing an Egg Lay (neutral B)
Effect: Yoshi will pull the enemy close but won't actually swallow them. This can lead into almost anything, most notably a footstool jump off the edge (doing that specifically is called ELFS..egg lay footstool stomp). Very difficult to pull off consistently as the tip of the move is VERY small.

Reverse Egg Roll
How to do: Perform an Egg Roll and immediately smash the analog stick in the opposite direction.
Effect: The startup lag of the Egg Roll is significantly decreased.

Rising Aerial (works with Ness and Lucas, too, I think)
How to do: Perform an aerial right after performing a double jump
Effect: The character will perform the aerial while keeping the vertical momentum of the double jump.

Double Jump Cancel (maybe also work with Ness and Lucas)
How to do: Perform a B move during a double jump
Effect: B moves will cancel the double jump's momentum completely. Helps when approaching with Egg Lay. Because of this, it is usually advisable for Yoshi players to turn Tap Jump off since using egg tosses to save the double jump during recovery can gimp his double jump. Not sure if this works for Ness or Lucas, though.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this should really be listed as an AT but you can infinitely ledge stall with the cape; since the cape auto-sweetspots the ledge, you can use the cape repeatedly and almost instantaneously while near it.

Help! briefly mentions ledge stalling with the cape in his guide during his description of the cape's properties:
http://smashboards.com/archive/index.php/t-167824.html

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Crap, I forgot a fundamental Yoshi tech

Edge Canceled Eggs

How to do:

Method 1 - While holding a ledge, tap back to let go and immediately hit up-forward B to toss an egg

Method 2- While holding a ledge, tap down to drop off the ledge. Follow it by double jumping and tossing an egg as you approach the ledge.

Effect: Yoshi will toss an egg and will grab the ledge immediately after, canceling the lag of the egg toss. This allows Yoshi to fight off opponents trying to pressure them on the edge.

Method 1 is the simplest way to do it but it gets progressively harder to do after 4 or 5 tries. Since you never touch ground, the height you gain on the egg toss never "recharges". Since you wll always have a double jump to fall back on, it's still pretty safe, though not as effective.

Method 2 gives you the most flexibility and allows you to do it as much as you want as long as you don't screw up. Since you need to double jump to do it, missing the ledge is risky since it often leads to death.

TheOJ

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone said anything about jump canceled turnaround? If not... here is something I noticed. longer Dash-> turnaround->cancel pivot animation with jump -> aerial.
the effect is dash forward then a canceled turnaround for a quick b-air. It might not be new, but it's still something I found interesting. I think it has a similar effect as the B sticking maneuver or Auto-RAR.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
BrawlBro - Dash Delay is probably not making it because it has little to no use. There's too much...um... delay. In other words, the fake-out takes too long to end before you can follow up, making it unreliable and highly punishable.

TheOJ - That's how RAR'ing was done before auto-RAR. For example, Ness players in Melee would turn around before jumping to land sweet-spotted B-airs on opponents in front of them. Old info, but good info.

Ducky285 - Thanks again. I'll add it ASAP.

Fearmy - The reason that only Squirtle has been covered is that he's the only one that has true character-specific AT's. Most everything that Charizard and Ivysaur have listed are universal AT's or glitches listed elswhere in the guide (true pivot, for example, is in True AT's). After looking at the lists, it felt like some entries were lifted right from the AT sticky, which is great because the AT sticky is supposed to be EXACTLY that - a universal reference. Squirtle's the only one with his own unique tricks, though, and ones that aren't merely applications of his normal moveset.

Meta Master - a REALLY LONG TIME. The first finished copy was 18 pages long in Microsoft Word, single-spaced, and took about 6 hours to write and edit. I spent between 3-5 hours scouring the character-specific boards and adding information I missed, then many little updates in between then and now as new information emerged. I also test all new info before adding it to make sure it's legit. The guide is now around 31 pages in Word, and it grows every week.

Everybody - I've been absent from the boards for awhile, as you've probably guessed. I bought a PS3 and MGS4 on June 12 and spent some serious quality time with both over the past week. I finished MGS4 now, so I should be around here more often. I wonder if a tourney scene will emerge for Soul Calibur 4 or whatever, but I can't wait for King of Fighters XII. That's going to be one awesome game, one I hope will see many a happy day.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Fearmy - The reason that only Squirtle has been covered is that he's the only one that has true character-specific AT's. Most everything that Charizard and Ivysaur have listed are universal AT's or glitches listed elswhere in the guide (true pivot, for example, is in True AT's). After looking at the lists, it felt like some entries were lifted right from the AT sticky, which is great because the AT sticky is supposed to be EXACTLY that - a universal reference. Squirtle's the only one with his own unique tricks, though, and ones that aren't merely applications of his normal moveset.
Makes Sense to me

chckn

Smash Ace
I ran a search on this the best I could and it didnt bring up anything so here goes. Just like how you can hit down when jumping on to a moving platform in order to cancel your jump, if you drop down off of one and hit shield immediately your character will drop a little through the platform and then come right back up shielding. Don't really know the applications for this if there are even any at all, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I would like to add something useful for Samus and Zero Suit Samus mains. Please keep in mind that this is situational. It is common knowledge to all Samus mains and Zero Suit Samus (ZSS hereafter) mains that Samus can shed her armor by the use of pressing up and down on the D-pad. It would be a total of eight: up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down. This has nothing to do with learning how to transform into ZSS in an easier manner. Actually, there is a thread in the ZSS Character Chat that simplifies transforming into ZSS with the D-pad.

What I want to show everyone here is that Samus can transform into ZSS much, much faster. In other words, there is little to no lag so that you won't get hit by your opponent who is deciding to stand by you and hit you once you come out of your armor. I call it the Quick Zero Suit Samus Transformation discovered by Dryn. What I did also discover is that it can be performed with Zelda/Sheik. It is likely possible to do the same with the Pokémon Trainer.

There are two threads that me and a few other Samus mains discussed in. You can find them in the links below:

Why use laggy missiles, when you can use missiles of the lagless variant? - p. 2
Samus Video Thread - p. 4

I also have a video of it, which can be seen here.

How do you perform this? I have some difficulty in explaining how, but I'm going to explain it as best as I can. If first must be noted that this can only be performed two ways. It would be possible to perform three ways if someone discovered that you can use the same colors like that in Melee without having to resort to Basic Brawl online or Team Battle. The two ways of performing this quick transformation is:

1. By playing Basic Brawl, and someone has the same character as you, and that both your character and his/hers have the same color.
  2. By playing team battle. If two persons played as Samus, and they were the red team, one Samus would be lighter than the other.

In my video, I was playing as Samus while I was in the armor. Another person was playing as ZSS. Though ZSS was not wearing the Varia Suit, she was wearing the Zero Suit version of the Varia Suit. That is to say, had she been in the armor (Samus), she and I would both have the Varia Suit color, and she would be lighter than me. In this situation, I was in the armor, and ZSS was apparently outside of the armor. What I did was transform into Zero Suit Samus, and because information of ZSS was in the game, the process of shedding the armor took little to no time.

I tested this out with team battle, and it worked just like it did in the video that I provided. You can start out as Samus, and someone else can start out as Samus. Or, you can started out as Samus, while the other person is ZSS. Or, it could be vice versa. Either way, as long as someone is ZSS, the information will be present, and so Samus won't take much time in transforming into ZSS. I tried this with Zelda/Sheik. I was Zelda, and my brother was Sheik. We were in team battle, and I transformed into Sheik. The loading for me to transform was lagless.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
@Mokona - Yes, it's a B-Reversed Magnet Pull, but I think it might deserve a mention for its fake-out potential.

@Chckn - It could be used as a fake-out if the fall-through animation is still noticeable. Like the above post, I'm considering adding it, but I'm not 100% sure.

@Dryn - So basically, Zamus transformation times are governed by the Wii's texture loading speed, just like Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer's transformation times. Goddammit. Such lazy programming. I'll add a mention of this somewhere in the guide, probably in General Discoveries or Character-Specific - Multiple. The entry is long overdue, and adding another character shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tips, all. See you next update.

Neb

Smash Lord
New Discovery

Oil Slicking/Spilling/Gelling by Neb
How to Perform: Go up to a proxy mine as G&W, and pull out the bucket (down b).
Effect: Snakes claymore is automatically detonated (GaW remains safe)! Its as if the bucket sends out a shock wave of some sort, or spills an invisible oil slick over the space (like the classic Flat Zone?). The distance it works is just about the size of the gas splash from Oil Panic, which is like a G&W and a half. This probably has some similarities to all the other weird occurrences with Snake's dsmash, such as the Perma-explosion.
Note: This can be performed in the air and still works under a platform.

chckn

Smash Ace
@Mokona - Yes, it's a B-Reversed Magnet Pull, but I think it might deserve a mention for its fake-out potential.

@Chckn - It could be used as a fake-out if the fall-through animation is still noticeable. Like the above post, I'm considering adding it, but I'm not 100% sure.

@Dryn - So basically, Zamus transformation times are governed by the Wii's texture loading speed, just like Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer's transformation times. Goddammit. Such lazy programming. I'll add a mention of this somewhere in the guide, probably in General Discoveries or Character-Specific - Multiple. The entry is long overdue, and adding another character shouldn't be a problem.

yeah if you time it right the fall through animation is noticeable. Ive used it in matches at lylat by faking falling through the platform when my opponent is on the same platform and then either shield grabbing(bc your shield will already be out) or dmashing

*EDIT* after some messing around I found out that the platform drop can also be cancelled by some characters down b making the drop more noticable. Most effective with GW's oil panic and ROB's gyro.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Thanks, Jewdo! I'm glad that I could contribute. :)

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Oh god. As a programmer, the 'transformation times governed by loading times' makes me cringe and die a little bit inside... it's such a *horrible* way of programming it. :(

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
^ I lol'd. What's so bad about it?
In Melee, transformation time for Zelda/Sheik was pretty much set since the game was either faster at loading or loaded both character models beforehand. This allowed for quick switches with less vulnerability, and it was dependable due to the consistent timing on the change.

Having that time governed solely by loading time presents a few problems.

- Loading times tend to vary, especially when there are other things happening at once. Having variable switch timing can be a bit annoying and irksome.
- It can create some glitchy behavior, such as PT switching during Castle Siege changing terrain and having to wait for the stage to finish changing before you can move.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
^ I lol'd. What's so bad about it?
It's mixing an implementation detail (how long it takes to load a character model) with a gameplay mechanic (time to switch from one character to another). An end-user should NOT need to know when the models are loaded. It's a programming detail which should be irrelevant.

It also feels like a very stupid glitch. It's not that hard to preload one extra character model and just swap them in when necessary. It just feels like a bad case of programmer laziness.

Mahie

Smash Lord
New Discovery

"Down B out of the edge" ( or call it whatever you want ^^) by Mahie
How to Perform: When you are hogging the edge, simply press Y to jump, then down B.
Effect: It will allow you to perform the Down B move directly after leaving the edge.
With characters such as Marth, Ike or Samus (Maybe others) The jump is canceled and you'll land on the ground as soon as you press down B.
With Characters such as Falco, you will shine while jumping.
Note: With Marth & Ike, this technique is VERY useful. Ike can't do much from the edge so opponents tend to rush him
and you simply counter them...
(If this has already been said, please just delete this post)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
IMO, the term "Spike" needs to be dropped from the OP and the Smash lingo for Brawl entirely. "Spike" was never a real term. Melee did not differentiate between Spikes and Meteor Smashes. But the community needed a term for the Meteor Smashes which could not be Meteor Canceled and thus the term "Spike" was born...

Only in Brawl, all Meteor Smashes can be Meteor canceled, thus rendering the term "Spike" obselete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom