• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[moved] SSBB AT Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

chckn

Smash Ace
New Discovery

"Down B out of the edge" ( or call it whatever you want ^^) by Mahie
How to Perform: When you are hogging the edge, simply press Y to jump, then down B.
Effect: It will allow you to perform the Down B move directly after leaving the edge.
With characters such as Marth, Ike or Samus (Maybe others) The jump is canceled and you'll land on the ground as soon as you press down B.
With Characters such as Falco, you will shine while jumping.
Note: With Marth & Ike, this technique is VERY useful. Ike can't do much from the edge so opponents tend to rush him
and you simply counter them...
(If this has already been said, please just delete this post)
thank you for discovering something that has been common knowledge since melee

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Can't seem to find any of ZSS's ATs such as Stun Locking or Flip Jump Footstooling.
Just a heads up.

chckn

Smash Ace
Are you sure we are talking about the same thing ? I do not mean release the edge, then rejump.But I might be wrong...
yeah Im pretty sure it is just in different words, correct me if I am wrong though. Drop down off of the edge, jump and immediately press down b while DIing towards the stage?

Mahie

Smash Lord
Nah, you don't release the edge, you just jump you know ? Like bots do all the time. Then you cancel with down B, which is not the same thing at alll.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
I have a quick question... I am attending this tournament, and then say: no glitching.. and they see smash boosting / dacus'ing (slide with mortar with snake) as a glitch... is this really a glitch? and what arguments can I give to convince them that it isn't a glitch?

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Mr_joey tell them they are noobs and to get over it

almost every tournament in the world allows it and you can prove it with about 50 youtube videos.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Yeah but some players think that skills and techniques are glitches, that you win only because you use them.
The real thing to do is to **** them withouth using a single skill, and then explain to them that they should train and learn them.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I'm new here so I don't know if this is old, but if you use Falco Phantasm right after you leave the ground, it cuts the ending lag in half.

Also, Snake can fake his vB by jumping in front of Pit ( it might work on other characters, but I haven't tested yet ) and using vB when you're above his head.
You'll see Snake put his arm out, but his C4 won't be placed anywhere.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Yes I have, Snake just places another C4 on the ground (or on someone if he's next to them).

Does anyone know if the Falco tech is new? I think it can help Falco with spacing if it is.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I think I might know what's going on. Snake's hitbox for his C4 rises when he jumps, like any other move,
but since his C4 can be placed on characters hitboxes , once he jumps over their hitbox the C4 doesn't go anywhere. I've tested this on the Mario cast and it works so I',m pretty sure this works on everyone.
Thanks for the help!

Luigi player

Smash Master
I have some questions...

So momentum-change attacks (eg Sonics dair) won't help you if you got knocked upwards? I noticed it doesn't change any momentum, but maybe it's just a little bit stopped?

And what about air dodging if you got hit? Does it help anything to stop your momentum?

And DI only works if you don't press to the direction you came from? Well to me it always made sense to do this. I always did it like that in Melee and now I'm doing it in Brawl too. So I should just press a other direction like up if I got knocked horizontally and left or right if I got knocked upwards?

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I might be just me, but momentum-changing attacks seem to fight against the momentum of getting launched, especially lucario's dair which is supposed to stop all momentum.

As for air dodging, I air dodge impulsively every time I get launched and it doesn't help at all.

chckn

Smash Ace
I might be just me, but momentum-changing attacks seem to fight against the momentum of getting launched, especially lucario's dair which is supposed to stop all momentum.

As for air dodging, I air dodge impulsively every time I get launched and it doesn't help at all.
air dodging and a good DI/smash DI will help you to stay alive for longer. There is a thread about it somewhere on the tactical discussion board.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Yeah, Air Dodge reduces the distances you're sent flying. But you've to air dodge as fast as possible after being hit.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, I tried the dair with Sonic in training mode but it doesn't change anything, because if he'd die, he can't do it anyway, because of the hitstun.

Air dodging seems useless... yeah I always do it too, because Samuraipanda once said that the CPUs do it and that it helps, but I guess it doesn't.

I tried DI and yes it doesn't help if it's the direction you came from... Oh god I have to stop doing this >.<

Edit 1:
I tried the air dodging in training mode with DK (attacker) and Sonic (air dodger).

Sonic's in the middle of FD and has 73 % so he dies to a DK fsmash (uncharged). I tried it 2 times and he doesn't die if it's 72 %. Anyway, I air dodged even two times with Sonic, but he still dies... only DI can rescue him.

Maybe DI works better if you air dodge... I haven't tried this, but why should it... air dodge goes with your momentum...

Edit 2:
I tried air dodging again with DI but it doesn't help him in any way.
DK fsmash at Sonic in the middle of FD at 90 %. DI up immediately while he get's hit. He survives at 89 %. If I DI up at 90 % he dies. If I DI up AND air dodge he still dies.

Air dodging just seems to help you getting to your normal falling anymation (faster than if you wouldn't air dodge?).

Edit 3: It's not faster^^ air dodging is useless if you want to change momentum...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Okay, I tested this and yeah it helps a very little bit ^^

I have another question though...

What about this "attacks are getting weaker if you use them continuously"?

In 64 and Melee attacks did less % if you use them without using other attacks inbetween. In Brawl it always does the same damage... But isn't it that they do less knockback if you use them over and over? I tried to test this in training... but either it doesn't work or I couldn't see the minimal difference...

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

In 64 and Melee attacks did less % if you use them without using other attacks inbetween. In Brawl it always does the same damage... But isn't it that they do less knockback if you use them over and over? I tried to test this in training... but either it doesn't work or I couldn't see the minimal difference...
it doesn't do it in training mode but in any other fight move damage and knockback decay as they are continuously used. i think G&W's Uair air waft isn't affected by this but so far every other move is affected by decay. as for Air dodge it helps a tiny bit like you said, it makes it so you can react a bit faster, but that can vary at times and good DI is also necessary.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Okay, thanks. ^^ I thought that it might be because I'm in training mode, but I didn't have time to check right now, because I'm playing online with anyone and there is no time to look at this xD

chckn

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks. ^^ I thought that it might be because I'm in training mode, but I didn't have time to check right now, because I'm playing online with anyone and there is no time to look at this xD
Yo Ill be able to get on in like 6 hours when I get off work if you want to get some games, I need training against luigi.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I found this cool thing you can do with pika.I am calling it quickfooting.

It's where you quick attack into an enemy and instantly footstool them. Then if you quick attack again directly downwards it should cancel and allow you to foolstool instantly again(which could be an infinite lock combined with QAC or attack if you so choose.

Im almost positive that a footstool performed on a standing enemy will keep them stunned long enough to quick attack or perform an aerial with no way of escaping.

Problem is I can't really test the lock part very well as mY gamecube controllers broke and all I have is the cumbersome wiimote nunchuck combo.

Here is 2 videos of some VERY BASIC uses of what im talking about.I know I could be so much better with it if I just had a gamecube controller.But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y616JeZb8a8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d1GPbVw5lQ&feature=user

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie

ahh, see there in lies the problem -TRAINING- in ssbb, stale move negation, which is the less % thing, doesnt show in training like it did in 64 and melee.
but if you use the same move over and over in a match it will infact do a lower % of damage.

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie
it doesn't do it in training mode but in any other fight move damage and knockback decay as they are continuously used. i think G&W's Uair air waft isn't affected by this but so far every other move is affected by decay. as for Air dodge it helps a tiny bit like you said, it makes it so you can react a bit faster, but that can vary at times and good DI is also necessary.
because stale move negation works by removing a certain percent of the damage dealt, drill rush and mach tornado (meta knight) being moves that do consecutive hits at 1% damage per hit, cannot get any lower and are therefore immune to stale move negation.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
wait a second... are the glitches in this list that are affected by what controller port you're plugged into for real? For example, a Bowsercide will always go into sudden death if the opponent has a lower numbered port than Bowser? Or if two people grab each other at the exact same time, the winner of the grab is determined by what controller ports they're using? This has to be a joke. Somebody please tell me that's inaccurate.

If this is true, can anybody give an example of this sort of thing occurring in any other video game?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
ya... i hope this thing is not true. but the good thing is that some tournys (like the ladder at AiB) have rules saying that the one who suicides wins. but the casual tournys probably wouldn't know...

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Update time. Not much has happened, but it has been almost a month since the last update. Here you all are.

Also - The height of a footstool jump can be halved with short-hop timing. Never seen this mentioned before, but I'm sure it's old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom