• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hopefully I'll be able to upload some more pics, I have a few good ones on 3DS but the process of uploading them is painful.

Upload on facebook, load time takes forever.

Hop on another device and copy the url over.

And I don't want all my pics to be seen by rlp I know.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Played some for glory, had a match where i feel i played really well and even got the waveland that was discussed quite some time ago, was thinking i should keep the match after but kinda forgot when i pressed start instead.

It did happen on the 3ds zelda omega stage to the right, i think my fair got canceled and i pressed to get a move out emidiatly, thinking maybe the move after canceled it in some way. I might have hold down during it too.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I saw that post but didn't have much of a response to give. I still can't do so now because I'm on my phone, but I advise coming up with a list of the main points you have trouble with regarding Rosalina. Post that here, and from there, people should be able to work something out for you through discussion!
Well, I have a bunch of things that I'm having trouble with. As I said, I've been a DK main ever since the N64 smash so I'm kind of used to playing offensively, going for grabs, blasting them away with strong normals, getting in their face to kill them with my giant punch, that sort of thing. When I trying playing that way with Rosalina I get torn to pieces, so it seems I have quite a lot of habits to unlearn.

Here's just a few of the things I struggle with:

1. The utility of her moves.

Rosalina has very strange moves. Her down+B is only useful against characters with projectiles, her side+B and neutral+B require her to have her luma, and her up+B seems to be strictly a recovery move that doesn't do any damage. On top of that I have trouble with her normal attacks, especially her aerials. I don't understand the utility of her nair, since it seems to attack backwards and then move forward? Nor do I know her best moves to go in for the kill once the enemy has high damage. On the ground her smash attacks are incredibly difficult to land, and she doesn't seem to have any killing moves in the air. Her up air and down air fire this bizarre little slow-moving ring projectile that doesn't seem too useful for anything

2. How to use the luma.

I understand that the luma is meant to help her zone her opponents out but I just don't get how it's supposed to be used or controlled. If I shoot it too far away that leaves a giant gap where my opponent can get between me and my luma and begin a rush towards me before I'm able to get my bearings or call my luma back to me. I don't know how to reliably land the luma shot or the purpose of the star bit spray. I've heard people say the luma's good for edgeguarding but I don't know how to do that with the luma either. They get on the ledge and my luma's not able to do anything. I particularly struggle against the Fire Emblem characters as they're able to rush me down to their heart's content and their neutral B moves can kill my luma in one hit.

3. What to do against zoners/rushers.

Despite my lack of understanding about Rosalina I can do a fine enough job against slow or even mid-speed characters, but I see she has a great deal of trouble keeping out fast characters like Little Mac, ZSS and Sonic. Not only that but she seems to struggle against people who can lame her out, like Sheik; if Sheik wants to keep me away, I have no idea how to get in on her.

4. Rosalina's general gameplan.

Before I can start getting into the bulk of training with her I at least need an idea of what to do with her. Currently I have no clue what her gameplan is supposed to be against all characters, let alone the specific cases that I listed above. Nothing about her feels intuitive and I think I only manage to get by via the skin of my teeth instead of showing proficient gameplay with her. I need basic idea of what she wants to do in general which I have yet to grasp.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, I have a bunch of things that I'm having trouble with. As I said, I've been a DK main ever since the N64 smash so I'm kind of used to playing offensively, going for grabs, blasting them away with strong normals, getting in their face to kill them with my giant punch, that sort of thing. When I trying playing that way with Rosalina I get torn to pieces, so it seems I have quite a lot of habits to unlearn.

Here's just a few of the things I struggle with:

1. The utility of her moves.

Rosalina has very strange moves. Her down+B is only useful against characters with projectiles, her side+B and neutral+B require her to have her luma, and her up+B seems to be strictly a recovery move that doesn't do any damage. On top of that I have trouble with her normal attacks, especially her aerials. I don't understand the utility of her nair, since it seems to attack backwards and then move forward? Nor do I know her best moves to go in for the kill once the enemy has high damage. On the ground her smash attacks are incredibly difficult to land, and she doesn't seem to have any killing moves in the air. Her up air and down air fire this bizarre little slow-moving ring projectile that doesn't seem too useful for anything

2. How to use the luma.

I understand that the luma is meant to help her zone her opponents out but I just don't get how it's supposed to be used or controlled. If I shoot it too far away that leaves a giant gap where my opponent can get between me and my luma and begin a rush towards me before I'm able to get my bearings or call my luma back to me. I don't know how to reliably land the luma shot or the purpose of the star bit spray. I've heard people say the luma's good for edgeguarding but I don't know how to do that with the luma either. They get on the ledge and my luma's not able to do anything. I particularly struggle against the Fire Emblem characters as they're able to rush me down to their heart's content and their neutral B moves can kill my luma in one hit.

3. What to do against zoners/rushers.

Despite my lack of understanding about Rosalina I can do a fine enough job against slow or even mid-speed characters, but I see she has a great deal of trouble keeping out fast characters like Little Mac, ZSS and Sonic. Not only that but she seems to struggle against people who can lame her out, like Sheik; if Sheik wants to keep me away, I have no idea how to get in on her.

4. Rosalina's general gameplan.

Before I can start getting into the bulk of training with her I at least need an idea of what to do with her. Currently I have no clue what her gameplan is supposed to be against all characters, let alone the specific cases that I listed above. Nothing about her feels intuitive and I think I only manage to get by via the skin of my teeth instead of showing proficient gameplay with her. I need basic idea of what she wants to do in general which I have yet to grasp.
Whoa! Your a DK main and you are here trying main at Rosalina? Well we might help you.

PsychoJosh

Whoa! Your a DK main and you are here trying main at Rosalina? Well we might help you.
Yeah. I don't like how DK feels in this game and I absolutely adore Rosalina, so I wanna try and commit to playing as her.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah. I don't like how DK feels in this game and I absolutely adore Rosalina, so I wanna try and commit to playing as her.
DK is cool actually.
Rosalina is a character that's really worth discussing since she has a unique fighting strategy compare to other fighters,also ahe's pretty of course, has the many fanart and fan communitires, and she is the most surprising and the most excited newcomer I've ever seen. So come and join the party!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I spotted some nice Rosalina drawings on my Activity Feed today...

Also, some new snapshots that I've taken last night.

• Rosalina: Welcome to my home Yoshi.
  • Yoshi: Whoa, what a cutie...

• Yoshi: Who's your friend Rosalina?
  • Rosalina: That is my precious Luma. I've raised him since he was a baby.
  • Luma: Nice to meet you.

• Yoshi: You must have a nice mother to care for you Luma.
  • Luma: Yup. Mama is the nicest person that I've even known.

• Yoshi: Rosalina, who's that rather large Luma on that planet?
  • Rosalina: His name is Lubba. I've met him a couple times throughout my journey.
  • Luma: Some of my brothers and sisters actually live with Lubba. Of course, he can be rather goofy sometimes.

• Yoshi: Rosalina, I'm quite shy to say this, but you truly are very cute and beautiful.
  • Rosalina: Why thank you Yoshi. My own children feel just the same way.

• Rosalina: And for being so nice and honest to me...
  • Yoshi: Yes?

• Rosalina: ...I'll give you with a nice sweet kiss.
  • Yoshi: I love you.

I also took the following snapshot, which I've converted into an avatar.

I know some people like that sassy Rosalina attitude, but when she's facing left, Rosalina feels like she admires the things around her.

Edit: I forgot to post the following snapshots for the added humor.

Rayman is shocked to see how short he is when compared to Rosalina. He does outsize the Luma though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Ẃ̵̯̞̯̻͔̤̤̀̔̓̈́̌͋̒ͅE̵̡̨̢̛̛͈̭̤̘̓́̀̀̾͜͝L̸̙̳̮̯̩̺̰̝̓̈́̑͛́̀͊̊C̸͙͇̜̠̞̟̩̋̀̌͑̑̉͛̃ͅO̵̧̧̧̙͙̫̬̠͑́̉͆̓̀̚͘M̸̫͕̲͇͎̞̰̋̔̓̃̽̆̌͜͝E̵͎̠͉̖̠͍̩͇̾̓̀̽̒͊͒͝ ̷̮͇̟͍̬̘̝̝̀͊̈́͆͂̃̆͘T̶̢̡̧̼͙̲̭̝̈̈́̎̒̓̏͘͝Ǫ̴̣̥̘͔̳̩̲̑̏̈́͋̄̓͋͝ ̵̧̮͇̱̝͕̖̓̇̅̿̆̆̌͝ͅŅ̸̛̠̩̜͚̭̝͇͐̍͆͑̆̂̿Ē̴̻̠̲̲̫̼̳͕̾̀̎̚̚͠͠W̵͔̗͙̟̻̖͉̰̄̔̓́̐͒̇͛ ̷̧̛͈͕̲̥͚̺̝̃̈́̎͊̎̐̈́G̸̤̘̠̗͙͓̩̐̉̈́̀͑̀͂̃͜À̸̢̼̖̖̩̭̳̭͒̍̏̀͗̓́L̷̛͚̫̼̙̬̭̪̪̏̂͑̅̒͘̚A̴̝̜̦̯̙͙̬͇̒̄̾͊́͋̌͝X̷̞̜̙͉͇̹͇̺͂̉̓̑̎̓̕͝Ý̸̨̜̞͎̬͓̯̣̾́̅̓̐̔̓

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
Am I the only one who feels ridiculed for using an "overpowered character", when in reality, it's more that I use them because I've been waiting to play them the moment their announcement hit the internet?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately, the "Rosalina in the Observatory / Luma's Theme" music has really been touching my heart, and I can't get it out of my head. It really makes me appreciate Rosalina and her Lumas even more, even while I'm shedding tears.

Ẃ̵̯̞̯̻͔̤̤̀̔̓̈́̌͋̒ͅE̵̡̨̢̛̛͈̭̤̘̓́̀̀̾͜͝L̸̙̳̮̯̩̺̰̝̓̈́̑͛́̀͊̊C̸͙͇̜̠̞̟̩̋̀̌͑̑̉͛̃ͅO̵̧̧̧̙͙̫̬̠͑́̉͆̓̀̚͘M̸̫͕̲͇͎̞̰̋̔̓̃̽̆̌͜͝E̵͎̠͉̖̠͍̩͇̾̓̀̽̒͊͒͝ ̷̮͇̟͍̬̘̝̝̀͊̈́͆͂̃̆͘T̶̢̡̧̼͙̲̭̝̈̈́̎̒̓̏͘͝Ǫ̴̣̥̘͔̳̩̲̑̏̈́͋̄̓͋͝ ̵̧̮͇̱̝͕̖̓̇̅̿̆̆̌͝ͅŅ̸̛̠̩̜͚̭̝͇͐̍͆͑̆̂̿Ē̴̻̠̲̲̫̼̳͕̾̀̎̚̚͠͠W̵͔̗͙̟̻̖͉̰̄̔̓́̐͒̇͛ ̷̧̛͈͕̲̥͚̺̝̃̈́̎͊̎̐̈́G̸̤̘̠̗͙͓̩̐̉̈́̀͑̀͂̃͜À̸̢̼̖̖̩̭̳̭͒̍̏̀͗̓́L̷̛͚̫̼̙̬̭̪̪̏̂͑̅̒͘̚A̴̝̜̦̯̙͙̬͇̒̄̾͊́͋̌͝X̷̞̜̙͉͇̹͇̺͂̉̓̑̎̓̕͝Ý̸̨̜̞͎̬͓̯̣̾́̅̓̐̔̓
I wonder how that happened.

PsychoJosh

Am I the only one who feels ridiculed for using an "overpowered character", when in reality, it's more that I use them because I've been waiting to play them the moment their announcement hit the internet?
Forget them. It's not our fault that our favorite girl just so happens to be super strong.

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
Lately, the "Rosalina in the Observatory / Luma's Theme" music has really been touching my heart, and I can't get it out of my head. It really makes me appreciate Rosalina and her Lumas even more, even while I'm shedding tears.
Don't fret, my friend, you aren't the only one crying while listening.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been wanting to play as Rosalina since Brawl, so unless patches end up doing an insulting amount of nerfing in the future, I'm sticking with the character.

Yeah it has been perpetually stuck in my head.

My favourite thing about it is that while they took the Comet Observatory theme and made it more fun and carnival like, and succeeded at making it sound like a less poignant song than it normally is, they tried to do something similar to Luma's theme but it just doesn't work. That song is just a sad song no matter what you try to do with it. :c

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

What tends to happen after that is I use Mario and I still spank my opponents. Let the haters hate.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I wonder how that happened.
Someone bought a pre-corrupted disc from a store (I think GameStop), and every single character is deformed. He's been posting on Miiverse and it's catching on like crazy, even on KYM.

Here's his profile: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Guuppp/posts

The first picture he posted was this and he said:
"someone please help!!! all my characters look like this"

He also posted a video:

Nintendo has been having quality issues lately, especially with Amiibos and their production:

More in the spoiler:
The most notable one to date:

There's a Samus somewhere with two left arms.

Also, I hope Rosalina & Luma Amiibos will be okay...

Last edited:

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
What would you say is better, Rosie's ground game, or her air game?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
My favourite thing about it is that while they took the Comet Observatory theme and made it more fun and carnival like, and succeeded at making it sound like a less poignant song than it normally is, they tried to do something similar to Luma's theme but it just doesn't work. That song is just a sad song no matter what you try to do with it. :c
Actually, I think they tried to really emphasize the emotion of the song during that part. The snare drums that play in the background during that part really give it a nostalgic feel. Not to mention how it plays in the background when it goes back to the comet observatory.

It truely is a wonderful song...just too bad that there is also a lot of other great songs that play on that stage. >.>

What would you say is better, Rosie's ground game, or her air game?
I think aerial, though her ground game is still pretty good. Her up air and neutral air are fantastic.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I plan on making the observatory as a custom stage and have that beautiful song play on it.

I hope I can do it with out making it too limited.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah it has been perpetually stuck in my head.

Maybe the wrong instruments were used for Luma's Lullaby, and that's what gave us that very sensitive vibe. Luma's Lullaby could've been made to have a more positive vibe if the right instruments were implemented.

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
Nice, I should draw Rosalina sometime, I have a couple of times before, but they kinda sucked.
She's perhaps the one character I can draw lips on, and have them not make the face look weird.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really haven't done any Rosalina drawings for quite a while, but my work does lack the detail that the other drawings tend to have.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Why not, have one match up thread... In the thread you could have one post with a label for each character against rose and post info underneath that character name... You can see a decent example of this in the project m mario character selection. It just seems neater to me, all I'm sayin.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Oh boy, that video.
It really is strange knowing about all these characters and seeing people fail so miserably at them. >.>

Poor Rosie...To be fated to be constantly compared to Elsa. :(
lol how do you think :4rob: feels.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm not sure if the CPUs in Crazy Orders are handicapped to die really easily or what (idk because sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it), but I've been playing in Crazy Orders a lot and have consistently been able to kill heavy opponents with UAir at 0% from the top platform of Big Battlefield. I'm wondering if there's something like the Mii Brawler One-inch-Punch with her Uair because that's honestly the only other explanation I have beyond super handicapped CPUs (as in, DK is dying at 0% from UAir).

This ultimately proved to be my demise in the Crazy Orders run because after 9 minutes and 15 tickets, I only had 38% damage on me and died really easily to Crazy Hand and Master Hand (who shows up sometime between 13 and 15 tickets completed).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not sure if the CPUs in Crazy Orders are handicapped to die really easily or what (idk because sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it), but I've been playing in Crazy Orders a lot and have consistently been able to kill heavy opponents with UAir at 0% from the top platform of Big Battlefield. I'm wondering if there's something like the Mii Brawler One-inch-Punch with her Uair because that's honestly the only other explanation I have beyond super handicapped CPUs (as in, DK is dying at 0% from UAir).

This ultimately proved to be my demise in the Crazy Orders run because after 9 minutes and 15 tickets, I only had 38% damage on me and died really easily to Crazy Hand and Master Hand (who shows up sometime between 13 and 15 tickets completed).
I think there's some sort of scaling in Crazy Orders where earlier tickets have a hidden knockback scaling thing going on, similar to the Fighting Mii Team in most modes but less extreme. Conversely knockback may scale to less than usual for later tickets. But I don't think it's reasonable to conclude a One-Inch Punch effect since that's due to the move's multihit properties, with the OIP hitbox being intended to hit the target into the rest of the move. Rosalina's uair isn't multihit so there's no reason for that to apply.

In completely different news, I made a topic soliciting opinions on Rosalina's top 8 (or less) custom movesets for the purposes of preloading these sets into Wii Us via 3DS transfer, with the end goal of helping kickstart the process of getting custom movesets generally accepted in tournaments. Please give it a read and contribute if you can, since time is a real factor in getting custom moves used in tournaments; the longer it's put off, the less likely it'll ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom