• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most convenient button for a short hop?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I'm training with Falco and it's true that he has a pretty large full hop which makes it even harder for me to perform a short hop with him. I use a GC controller with the Z button being a very small button but quite convenient to jump very quickly. However I cannot short hop properly yet at important situations in matches which is an essential skill to be able to perform. In your opinion, what is the best button to perform a short hop at convenience following human ergonomic systems than what you use yourself.

Thanks

HD

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I usually use Y

A fast, light tap, that slides your thumb off the button

Actually, you can do that for X too, but the direction my thumb slides off Y makes it closer to the A button so I can input attacks a bit faster.

XienZo

Smash Lord
If you're just doing SH aerials, simulataneously hitting the C-stick and control stick will automanically perform a SH aerial regardless of how long you hold it.

leonbird

Smash Rookie
i prefer x... plus given that its next to the standard attack button gives easy access

kr3wman

Smash Master
The most convenient button for a short hop is the one you use to jump. Generally, X or Y are the best solutions.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I use x for some moves and y if I want to short hop into a dair with certain characters

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Wow. I guess the game-cube-controller really is best. I've played every single game using the Wiimote, but moved up to the Nun-Chuck when I realised how much better it was. Any suggestions for the Wiimote, or should I just switch for the Gamecube Controller?

Arw1ng

Smash Rookie
i yus da b butun

JK I use X to sh. In fact, I set Y to grab >.>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I use X.

Up on the control stick SOMETIMES. Its very situational.

wh1te5had0w

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I guess the game-cube-controller really is best. I've played every single game using the Wiimote, but moved up to the Nun-Chuck when I realised how much better it was. Any suggestions for the Wiimote, or should I just switch for the Gamecube Controller?
The gamecube controller is the easiest to play with but if you are good with the wiimote + nun chuck just stay with it

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
X is the best on the Cube controller. X leads to A, B, or the C-stick with the natural curve of your thumb. It's the best choice, honestly.

I leave my thumb between X and A, makes it faster and easier.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
To be honest, it depends on your thumb. So go into practice, try with X and Y. Whichever you can do the most SHs with, then thats your button.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; Even if you win, you're still ********.

Honestly...just whatever feels right.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it's a quote from a picture too, like one of those motivational posters

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Everyone laughs because my settings are so weird.
I use a Gamecube controller and my settings are:

Tap jump: Off
Jump= a
attack= x,y

Works for me so whatever. xD

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
If you're just doing SH aerials, simulataneously hitting the C-stick and control stick will automanically perform a SH aerial regardless of how long you hold it.
I also wish to SH double laser and SH retreat laser with Falco. How can I conveniently?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump is not on for utilt accessibility. I'm on the gamecube controller. I already stated that!
Well then you're deprived of the accessibility for utilt, which is vital for Snake players of course. I think I will consider X.
You can still use U-tilt even if you have tap-jump on. It all depends on the co-ordination of your thumb. If you want to use U-tilt, move the control stick up slightly and press A. If you want to USmash, tap (do it fairly quickly) the control stick up and press A. If you want to short hop, flick the control stick up slightly. If you want to do a full hop, tap the control stick up all the way. Also, if you have tap jump on, you can an ^B out of shield which can be helpful depending on the attack. So technically if you have tap jump on, you still have access to U-tilt. However, tap jump doesn't benefit every character in the game. Since you use Snake, I wouldn't.

For my control scheme, I use X to jump and to short hop because it's right next to the A button. Therefore, I can just move my thumb either left or right if I want to jump and or attack. I prefer moving my thumb sideway so I can react to things more quickly than moving it up and down. I use Y for grabs because I hate using the Z button on my controller. It's up to personal preferences I guess, but that's how I set my controls up according to my preferences.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Utilting isn't hard at all with tap jump on. Just don't slam up on the joystick, you don't jump, you do a utilt.
._.
But then again its sooo much easier to tilt without tap jump.
Both of these are correct. However, it depends on what character you use because tap jump doesn't benefit every character in the game. Some characters perform better in battle with it on more than others. The ones I can think of from the top of my head who get a benefit with tap jump on are Marth, Meta Knight, Charizard and Bowser. There may be others though. Also, turning tap jump off is recommended for people who are new to brawl and for using characters who don't need it on. However, there are people out there who prefer to jump using the control stick so this choice also depends on personal preferance.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Both of these are correct. However, it depends on what character you use because tap jump doesn't benefit every character in the game. Some characters perform better in battle with it on more than others. The ones I can think of from the top of my head who get a benefit with tap jump on are Marth, Meta Knight, Charizard and Bowser. There may be others though. Also, turning tap jump off is recommended for people who are new to brawl and for using characters who don't need it on. However, there are people out there who prefer to jump using the control stick so this choice also depends on personal preferance.
I tested out X and for intensive purposes, it is good :-).

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think Y is too far from the C Stick so I never ever use it.

I have tap jump on but I use the x button to jump.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I think Y is too far from the C Stick so I never ever use it.

I have tap jump on but I use the x button to jump.
I've found the most convenient one now. I am now using both X and Z (what I used before) for the jump. This is so that in a scenario I don't mistake the jump button for something else like shield or grab, which would be catastrophic

Top Bottom