• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortar slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
RAR is Reverse Aerial Rush, it's when you run one direction, tap the control stick in the other direction and jump and use an what would normally be your forward air, but your bair comes out since you are automatically turned around.

NTtL

Smash Rookie
You don't need to make contact to do this, and its actually very easy to do. I can even do it consistently (as in 100% of the time) in training mode at 1.5X. I think a common misconception is that you need to dash attack then up smash, that takes too much time. All you have to do is:

-Dash attack and keep pressing the A button quickly
-Hold up (no need to "smash" the stick up, just hold up after you do the attack)
-Win

Remember to keep pressing the A button quickly, since you just need to hold the stick up pressing A quickly helps you get the specific frame for the cancel. After some time you'll learn the timing and wont need to smash the A button, but to begin with try to do it that way. it is infinitely easier to pull with this method. Remember you don't need to smash the stick up just hold it like a tilt.

(I really hope that was clear enough)

sweetooth

Smash Ace
i dunno rusty, i kinda like the 1st way which was hold z. it just seems more reliable than quickly switching your thumb from c-stick to a. i guess i'll try them both when i get off of work. good **** guys

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
You don't need to make contact to do this, and its actually very easy to do. I can even do it consistently (as in 100% of the time) in training mode at 1.5X. I think a common misconception is that you need to dash attack then up smash, that takes too much time. All you have to do is:

-Dash attack and keep pressing the A button quickly
-Hold up (no need to "smash" the stick up, just hold up after you do the attack)
-Win

Remember to keep pressing the A button quickly, since you just need to hold the stick up pressing A quickly helps you get the specific frame for the cancel. After some time you'll learn the timing and wont need to smash the A button, but to begin with try to do it that way. it is infinitely easier to pull with this method. Remember you don't need to smash the stick up just hold it like a tilt.

(I really hope that was clear enough)
Ahh that's quite clear thanks.

and sweetooth, yeah I reverted to z button for charging a while ago lol. Know what you mean, feels less awkward.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
For the life of me, I cannot get Snake to do this.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Here's how I think it's done with the Wii Remote+ Nunchuck (the controller I use):

(Assuming you are standing idle facing to the Right.)
1. Jam the joystick hard right to start running to the Right.
2. Wait until Snake is close to the opponent. (A distance a little larger than the hit range on Snake's FSmash.)
3. Continue holding the joystick hard right; hit A one time.
4. With no pause whatsoever after the first A press, spam the A button and tilt/tap the joystick up. (ie., Do not insert any sort of purposeful pause between pushing A to initiate Snake's dash attack and then spamming A+Up to do this Technique.)

As of this moment:
5. Watch Snake NOT do this Technique; instead, watch as he finishes out his Dash attack, ending up on his belly for a brief moment before standing up after sending the opponent flying upwards.
6. Lose some self-esteem.

I'm hoping to turn that into:
5. Profit.

Do I need to pause for an instant after the inital A press, or am I not pressing the subsequent A+Up fast enough? Do you:
(A). Push the A button twice in a row, super quickly, without any break in between, jamming the joystick up in conjuction with the second A press? (As if doing a jab and then immediately doing a USmash.) Are you pounding the A button as fast as humanly possible?

or

(B). Push A, wait a moment while Snake starts diving into the opponent, wait until Snake's Dash Attack has connected and dealt damage and the opponent is starting to fly upward, and then jam the joystick up and press A?

If anyone has any anwers, I would be extremely grateful to hear your advice.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Method 1) Contact with opponent/wall/hittable item(box).

-Dash attack->upsmash the second you make contact.
Very simple.

Method 2) No contact with anything:

It's a just-frame, or close to it.

Do it fast.

If you can't do it.

You're too slow.

Play a new game.

Dash->Upsmash.

Done.

No special techinque.

Just speed.

Zero000

Smash Rookie
huh. i cant do it normally with the Up A method, but i can do it fine with the C stick. im still working on making it work without contact. Cant figure out what frame i need to press it at

MichelFalcaut

Smash Cadet
NOTE: I experimented with this and have found that the UP A method works only if you have up tap jump TURNED OFF. The UP A is much easier and more consistent to pull off than the C-Stick method IMO.

Also, if you want to use the C-stick method, I'd advise changing the Z button to Attack.

Zero000

Smash Rookie
hmm, i messed around with the 1/4, 1/2, and the 2/3 speed in training. the frame timing is pretty strict, it has a small window from dash to upsmash. i still cant do it all the time in x1 speed. but it's pretty instant.

so bascially what Fastest said, you just gotta do it really fast.

and turning off the tap jump does wonders

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
After an afternoon of testing this out in Training mode, I've pretty much got it down. Thanks for the help.

Some observations:

If you have Tap Jump activated C-Stick is the easiest way to go. (Or a D-Pad modified to act like a C-Stick if you're using the WiiRemote+Nunchuck and have fast thumbs.) As stated above, Up+A spamming is immensely more difficult (impossible?) to do if Tap Jump is activated. I spent the better portion of the afternoon attempting to use Up+A with Tap Jump on, and met only with failure. If you want to go the Up+A route (which is recommended as it is seems to be more flexible/reliable than C-Sticking), turn off Tap Jumping.

As an alternative to C-Sticking while using Tap Jump, I'm testing out using the WiiRemote+Nunchuck "Shake for Smash" (or whatever it's called) option. It makes your arm tired after an extended session of playing, but it makes it easy to perform the Mortar Slide and it is compatible with Tap Jump (which I use). I've had several instances of..."loose"...control problems (eg., Snake randomly doing a DSmash when I move my arm or reposition my body), but it hasn't been too bad so far. I'll post again later if anything interesting comes of it.

MichelFalcaut

Smash Cadet
If you've played Street Fighter, try to imagine doing a Hadouken except it's forward up punch, instead down-forward punch while running. Remember to turn UP TAP JUMP OFF, and you'll be able to pull this off no prob. I got some noobs to learn it today, so expect this technique to spread like wildfire/spam.

This move works with Falco (only if it hits) and Toon Link(?) as well. I'm not sure how well it works against shield grabbing the dash attack. Anyone know?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Near impossible, because of the mortar launcher's hitbox if used close/on the opponent, and the speed at which you slide. Unless your opponent gets lucky and happens to be facing the other way, and has extremely good reflexes, you can almost never get punished for this.

kevc

Smash Cadet
wowowowowow since the day i made this thread till now i couldn't do this technique

but the SECRET to doing this as posted by people here...TURN OFF TAP JUMP

now i can do it no prob thanks guys!

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Got it working with the hit, but can't seem to get it working without the attack. Doing it without hitting someone just causes the normal effect of a dash while charging up smash but it's not like a dash like the one you get from hitting someone then doing it.

Greedful

Smash Rookie
Practice practice and more practice is the only way you can perfect this. As stated previously it has a timing to it that requires whatever you're best at in terms of speed.

For me I had adapted through the 1/2 speed and a Double A tap. Start the Dash, roll, immediately smash up and press your attack button again. You can also smash up and press your attack button repeatedly and the move will initiate that way, but it doesn't work in x1 speed.

So: Dash->Attack->Smash Up on the control stick->press Attack again

I can pull off the mortal slide almost every time in x1. You've gotta have fast fingers, and make sure you understand the timing is different if you roll into someone due to the frame lag.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Ah so when your not hitting an opponent you still have to do the roll (attack)? Maybe that's what I was doing wrong.

Greedful

Smash Rookie
Yup, you always have to initialize the dash attack before you can initiate the slide.

Also make sure you understand if you roll into someone the timing is slightly more forgiving IF you roll at the correct distance. I've personally found that distance to be when Snake makes contact with the other player while in a horizontal body alignment (The animation of jumping into the roll); this allows for very lenient timing which is somewhat sound oriented as well.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I was having trouble with it but I finally got it done today. Now I just need to get to the point where I can keep doing it just like the one where you have the dash attack connect.

Try doing it in training mode at 1/2, then 2/3 speed. Then finally 1 (seems to be the hardest for me). You do need to start the dash attack, but you up smash right when you start the roll. Snake should be starting to dive forward for his dash attack, then smash up A then (I use the wiimote+nunchuck so I turned off tap jump and use Up + A).

Just try to do it at a slower speed so you can identify what part of Snake's movement you need to up smash at, then go from there.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
This thread makes me sad. This was one of the first Snake advanced techniques to be discovered, and it's one of the easiest, if not THE easiest, one do to. Puppies are dying right now due to the level of fail in this thread.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I think the problem is that people are trying to do it without hitting the dash attack in an attempt to emulate wavedashing, hence all the problems.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the dash attack needs to connect, since hitting up smash when Snake begins his roll will cause the same glide/dashing with the up smash A. But the timing is different for when you do connect however.

And yeah that's the problem I was having Jeff Highwind. I thought it was more like wavedashing, I didn't realize you had to start the dash attack first even without contact.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
i learned this after five minutes of practice. if that, i don't see why people are saying it's so hard.

ricesteam

Smash Rookie
For people using the analog/naunchuk, disabling the "tapping jump" does wonders.

I was able to perform this move with ease when I turned it off.

Greedful

Smash Rookie
Or just use the C-Stick like you should.
Eh, I was never one to enjoy the C-Stick so I adapted my play around the Joystick and A button. I tried multiple times to pull off the ability with the C-Stick, as certain people made it seem as though it was the best possible answer to the problem, but I found myself only accomplishing it with the oldschool Smash attack style.

I understand what you mean though tsl. There's so many post which describe how exactly to pull off the move, yet people come back and flood the only topic for it with questions that already have answers.

If you can't pull it off, you're not A) Getting the timing right or B) don't have the finger agility to do it in the first place. It will definitely take you some time to get it down if your case is B. So please, don't ask a question unless you're 100% sure that it hasn't been answered already in a post.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
If you can't pull it off, you're not A) Getting the timing right or B) don't have the finger agility to do it in the first place. It will definitely take you some time to get it down if your case is B. So please, don't ask a question unless you're 100% sure that it hasn't been answered already in a post.
This is the easiest advanced tech Snake has. I think you've made it clear that using Analog + A to do this move makes it ridiculously difficult. Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about with "finger agility" and all that nonsense because my little sister who doesn't play video games could probably learn this move in one minute using the C-Stick.

Seriously. Use the C-Stick, people. It won't bite you. (And I'm not just talking about this one move, I'm talking about the game in general.)

Greedful

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about with "finger agility" and all that nonsense because my little sister who doesn't play video games could probably learn this move in one minute using the C-Stick.
I wasn't trying to argue what's best, only giving what I accomplish the slide with, but if you want to take that route...

This is the C-Stick = (C), this is A = (A), this is the analog = (O)

To use the C-Stick method, you either have to use another finger to press (A) or (C), or move your thumb (Which is more common, another finger would void this math but be rather tricky for a casual gamer).
ADC = Distance to reach (C) from (A) , TRM = Thumb reverse momentum from moving your thumb down and immediately changing direction and momentum to up, (B)D = button direction, (A)R = A-Button release

C-Stick example:
(O)F, (A), ADC, TRM, (C)U
Run forward, press A, move thumb to C-Stick, Reverse thumb momentum, (C)U
Total time = ADC + TRM

Analog example:
(O)F, (A), ADC / 3, TRM - TRM, (A)R, (O)U, (A)
Run forward, Press A, Move Analog, There is no momentum due to your thumb being still, Analog-UP, Press A
Total time = ADC / 3 + A(R)

You can't honestly tell me you think moving your thumb all the way down to the C-Stick is faster than simply repositioning you thumb on a lesser distance and repressing A.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
You MUST hit the dash attack to Usmash after. The dash attack NEEDS to connect.
Wait, I'm confused. Some people say the dash attack has to connect, and others are saying it doesn't. I can pull this off consistently when the dash attack connects, but I cannot for the life of me manage it otherwise. So what's the verdict at this point?

Also, I'm very used to having up on the control stick being jump, so I'm using the c-stick for this. I'm a little anxious about turning that off to try and use the up a method. Is it worth it to change the controls so up on the control stick is no longer jump?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Wait, I'm confused. Some people say the dash attack has to connect, and others are saying it doesn't. I can pull this off consistently when the dash attack connects, but I cannot for the life of me manage it otherwise. So what's the verdict at this point?

Also, I'm very used to having up on the control stick being jump, so I'm using the c-stick for this. I'm a little anxious about turning that off to try and use the up a method. Is it worth it to change the controls so up on the control stick is no longer jump?
You can Mortar Slide without connecting a dash attack. It's just hard as sin to pull off.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
You can use it without the dash attack connecting. ( just try it out in training mode [at reduced speed if it helps]). It takes a while to get use to.

You probably don't have to turn off the tap jump if your using the GCN controller or Wavebird. Though I'm using Wiimote+Nunchuck partially because

a) You can actually bring your profile with settings with you

b) There isn't going be any GCN controllers or wavebirds with the people I play with (adapt or don't play). Well I suppose you could bring one (if I had any that still worked) but I prefer having the Wiimote and Nunchuck pair since I usually have the Wiimote with me (wiimote + n800, wiimote+laptop, etc..)

But it's whatever your comfortable with.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662

To answer in order:
1. It's possible to do it without connecting, you just have to do it at exactly the right moment, and quickly too. It's been said that turning off tap jump (go to controls in options) helps you perform the non-collision mortar slide much easier, but in turn you'd have to use the control stick...bringing me to the second question....

2. It depends. If you switch jump to a jump button rather than up on the analog, you can control your jump and be able to short hop easier, which can come in use not just with Snake, but other characters. In addition, you can do Snake's very powerful full hop nair. Good stuff.

For me, I kinda alternate. C-stick almost always for the mortar slide, using Z to charge if needed, but most often I use A+analog for other attacks (not just with Snake).

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
To answer in order:
1. It's possible to do it without connecting, you just have to do it at exactly the right moment, and quickly too. It's been said that turning off tap jump (go to controls in options) helps you perform the non-collision mortar slide much easier, but in turn you'd have to use the control stick...bringing me to the second question....

2. It depends. If you switch jump to a jump button rather than up on the analog, you can control your jump and be able to short hop easier, which can come in use not just with Snake, but other characters. In addition, you can do Snake's very powerful full hop nair. Good stuff.

For me, I kinda alternate. C-stick almost always for the mortar slide, using Z to charge if needed, but most often I use A+analog for other attacks (not just with Snake).
Thanks for the information. I think I'll consider switching the jump. People seem to think Snake's neutral air is awesomegasmic and I have issues pulling it off with the control stick controlling jump...

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering if this is even possible with any other control besides the gamecube controller :s. I seemed to pick up Snake as a 3rd character just because some pro snake player started doing that slide thing on me when I was Kirby @__@. I'm able to do it very consistently and people are calling me gay for spamming it so much on free for alls. I practiced doing it on the sandbag stage (loading screen) and I'm able to go across the entire stage 2 times faster than with snake just running normally :O.

kevc

Smash Cadet
I'm wondering if this is even possible with any other control besides the gamecube controller :s. I seemed to pick up Snake as a 3rd character just because some pro snake player started doing that slide thing on me when I was Kirby @__@. I'm able to do it very consistently and people are calling me gay for spamming it so much on free for alls. I practiced doing it on the sandbag stage (loading screen) and I'm able to go across the entire stage 2 times faster than with snake just running normally :O.
yeah i use wii + nunchuck and i do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom