• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortar slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't trying to argue what's best, only giving what I accomplish the slide with, but if you want to take that route...

This is the C-Stick = (C), this is A = (A), this is the analog = (O)

[...]
Look, I'm not trying to argue button distances or any of that sh*t. I'm simply saying that I figured out the move by myself using the C-Stick and that it is exceedingly easy to do. Whereas you make it very clear that it was quite difficult for you to learn the move using Analog + A, even going as far as telling others not to attempt to learn it.

I will say it again. This move is ridiculously easy. You're doing something wrong.

And I never said C-Stick was faster for anything. I said it was easier, which it is. Analog + A for any directional attack is two inputs (Analog Direction + A) while C-Stick is only one. The Analog Stick is also your primary and only means of controlling your character's movement. Many times, you want to be able to control your characters' movement differently than a certain attack you're doing i.e. DI'ing while doing an aerial. This is otherwise impossible without the C-Stick.

An example: Let's say by one way or another, you've been hit up very high. You're now falling downward. Let's say that for one reason or another, you wish to fastfall downward, but then immediately do an U-air (let's say that during your fastfall, your enemy has jumped up to hit you with an aerial but missed, or something along those lines.) When using C-Stick, all you would need to do is hold down on Analog and the flick C-Stick upward when you want to execute the U-air. Furthermore, you can continue to hold down on Analog if you're close to the ground and you will do your auto-cancel. Doing this strictly with Analog + A would be a mad dance of smashing the stick back and forth between up and down.

You're not wrong in saying that Analog + A is probably faster for many moves, but there are certain techniques you simply cannot do without C-Stick. I think the Mortar Slide is close to being one of them, seeing as how people are having so much trouble doing it with Analog + A. I hate those "purists" out there that think the C-Stick is cheap or some bullsh*t like that. You're only limiting yourselves. Use the C-Stick. It will open up many more possibilities for you.

Okay, wait a second, I just realized that people could easily misinterpret my intentions here. In saying "Use the C-Stick," I don't mean that you should never use Analog + A, or that you should use only C-Stick or some elitist bullsh*t like that. I simply mean that you shouldn't fear the C-Stick, as many people do. All I mean is that the C-Stick is incredibly useful in many situations and that shutting it out simply because you think it's "cheap" or "for noobs" is incredibly closed-minded.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Just to expand/sum up TSL's main point, c-stick lets you eliminate any possibility of unintentional DI. Be it accidental fast falling or jumping, or moving forward/backward in the air more than you desire to. C-stick allows for more precise moves, especially aerials.

Greedful

Smash Rookie
No where did I state Analog is superior to C-Stick for all purposes, only for the mortar slide.

C-Stick prevents unintentional DI, do you see any DI in the mortar slide?

What makes you think an Analog player has any less control over DI than a C-Stick player?
Go back to Melee and pull off a Samus Short-Hop Fast-Fall Super Missile L-Cancel consecutively.
1 frame Analog DI is so detrimental to gameplay.

I have nothing against the C-Stick, please drop that.

Analog was easier for me to use than the C-Stick, which is exactly what I stated in my first post. Odds are people are probably pulling off Analog TOO fast, whereas the C-Stick provides the right amount of response time to do the move (Go to training mode and put it on 1/4th time you'll see the queue time system in action). That's the problem I was having, not that my fingers weren't fast enough.

The mortar slide is timing and timing alone, what difference does it make what technique you use to get it done?

tsl

Smash Apprentice
No where did I state Analog is superior to C-Stick for all purposes, only for the mortar slide.
This is what I've been trying to tell you, for the third time now: You're wrong.

C-Stick prevents unintentional DI, do you see any DI in the mortar slide?
We're not just talking about the Mortar Slide, you fool. Do your eyes fail to see the word "aerial" used multiple times in my and rusty's posts? We are talking about the game in general. Please read posts in their entirety before you go off blasting people.

What makes you think an Analog player has any less control over DI than a C-Stick player?
Go back to Melee and pull off a Samus Short-Hop Fast-Fall Super Missile L-Cancel consecutively.
Oooo, big words there hot shot. This automatically means you're good. :psycho:

Hey wait, I thought we were only talking about the Mortar Slide ... :laugh:

I have nothing against the C-Stick, please drop that.
Eh, I was never one to enjoy the C-Stick so I adapted my play around the Joystick and A button.
I'm trying to tell you how using the C-Stick can improve your play, but if you don't feel like improving your game, then that's fine by me.

Analog was easier for me to use than the C-Stick, which is exactly what I stated in my first post. Odds are people are probably pulling off Analog TOO fast, whereas the C-Stick provides the right amount of response time to do the move (Go to training mode and put it on 1/4th time you'll see the queue time system in action).

That's the problem I was having, not that my fingers weren't fast enough. The mortar slide is timing and timing alone, what difference does it make what technique you use to get it done?
If you can't pull it off, you're not A) Getting the timing right or B) don't have the finger agility to do it in the first place.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Oh well guys if we're just talking about the mortar slide, it's all personal preference. I was practicing and was able to do it consistently (both with collision and non-collision) using both the c-stick+Z (fyi c-stick+Z is another way to do a charged smash attack) and the analog+A.

But yea..there are definitely situations outside of mortar sliding where c-stick would def. be optimal to use. Just gotta learn to recognize them ;)

(by the way.....we just had our wireless connection reconfigured so I'm gonna have to create a new on on the wii...so I wont be online for a day or two 'till I have time to do so.)

Greedful

Smash Rookie
tsl said:
This is what I've been trying to tell you, for the third time now: You're wrong.
Ok, that's cool with me. At least you're not calling or referencing me as an "Analog Elitist" here.

tsl said:
Oooo, big words there hot shot. This automatically means you're good.
Hey wait, I thought we were only talking about the Mortar Slide ...
Wait for it.....
tsl said:
We're not just talking about the Mortar Slide, you fool. Do your eyes fail to see the word "aerial" used multiple times in my and rusty's posts? We are talking about the game in general. Please read posts in their entirety before you go off blasting people.
1: Don't bring Rusty into this, he has done nothing to dispute against possible analog usage. In fact I believe his post was only to give more clarity and reason to yours.
2: I'm sorry I started this, but let me officially state: "I never said anything against the C-Stick that didn't involve a reference to the Mortar Slide".

tsl said:
I'm trying to tell you how using the C-Stick can improve your play, but if you don't feel like improving your game, then that's fine by me.
I grew up in the "Ew C-Stick days" with my friends bashing me for using it. So there.... You know why I use Analog instead. Right now C-Stick would interfere with my progression more than help it.

If you can't pull it off, you're not A) Getting the timing right or B) don't have the finger agility to do it in the first place.
Woah sir, sorry I could have phrased that better: I meant if someone is completely new to the game.

My sincerest apologies to other posters, I didn't mean to waste your time and I won't do it anymore. And I'm sorry tsl I admit I was unrational in my cause. I submit defeat.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Meh. I find it... wait. Did I say this before? Well, if I did, then it's just a repeat, but a good one.

I use the analog stick to mortar slide. I find that tapping A, then quickly up-smashing is the most consistent way for me to do the slide, being that my fingers are already where they need to be. All I really have to do now is to move the control stick and hit A again, and I Cromslide. I just can't seem to do it with the c-stick (not that I can do it anymore anyways. I switched it from Smashes to Specials).

So basically, the best way to do the cromslide is to do it in the way that's most comfortable and consistent way for you. That's all there is to it.

Pokemon655

Smash Rookie
Well initially the timing of it seemed horrid, I mean I felt it was near impossible to catch it in that specific frame. Really though, once you get it down, it's easy as cake. Cake happens to be pretty easy too. It's basically in the flick of the finger in really executing it consistently. Simply flick your finger down, then up, as quickly as you can while of course tilting the control stick to the side. I do hope my input has helped a little, even though it was somewhere repetitious of what was said.

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Why do people make the zero contact morterslide sound so hard...It's easy for me, and it's the only way I know how to do it...I mean, I cant use the c stick at all.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on how you do it. I recently switched my controls for Wiimote+Nunchuck so that dpad down is downsmash and dpad up is upsmash. And now I can pull it off consistently. Before I was trying to do..

Dash, A then quickly mash (control stick up and A) for the mortar. Really hard to do (I could get it working sometimes but extremely fast and hard timing).

altir

Smash Apprentice
I read this thread, tried some things and found something useful.

teh claw (thumb on c-stick, pointer on A/B/Y/X buttons.) works really, really, well.

here's how I do it, dash ,c-stick down, then smash up A.(so basicaly, c-stick ways) the rythm is like wave dasing; but faster.
it goes like this duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duh.
what the claw does essentialy, is make it so you dont have to bring your thumb back to the A button after you use the c-stick so you can do inputs faster.

useful, neh?

Ragnorok64

Smash Rookie
Well I can get contact Mortar Slide to work near 100% in training once I disabled tap jumping, and get no contact mortar slide at 2/3 speed but try as I may I cannot get it to work a 1x speed with control stick and A.

The only way I've managed is putting my thumb on the C-Stick and my index on the A and doing it that way (C down, up A pretty much simultaneously), which won't fly in actual play.

I'm half considering investing in a new controller as I've noticed the ones I have are a bit loose.

Livetopwn247

Smash Rookie
This technique is beginning to feel like learning Wavedashing to me...it seemed so incredibly hard to learn and useless at first, but as I'm beginning to get it right more consistently and put it to practical use, I feel like I can't play without it.

Anyone else noticing this analogy?

Raist

Smash Rookie
Don't know if it's been covered, but it doesn't seem like u can mortar slide when u have auto jump set to on (where u jump with the stick).

For those that are not fast enough to execute this out of a standing position, just dash forward for bit (sort of getting a running start)...

then hit A>up+A very quickly.

The timing is:

Forward Dash------A-upA!
One one thousand

MoEvl

Smash Rookie
:D Yeah I got it down WITH contact haha, now I gotta work on no contact >_> but this has like, renewed my love for snake.

Superspright

Smash Lord
It's really easy without contact with a wiimote or a gamecube controller. With a wiimote just set your dpad to the smashes, just run hit dpad down then depress your thumb over the A and hit up. Boom, no-contact mortar slide. With the gamecube controller it's easy too. I set my R to grab so it's even easier but you can leave it at Z. Just run hit c-stick down or A, then hit grab and up. Snake's DACUS is insanely easy compared to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom