• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortar slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
It involves doing a dash attack and immediately doing an up-smash. I have yet to be able to do it without making contact first, presumably because it slows down the frames and makes it easier to hit accordingly.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Do it with the control stick when you aren't hitting anyone. Less time is wasted, and it's easier to get the timing down.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
ahh... so it can be done when you don't make contact. i haven't been able to do that yet
yeah I was unaware of this until about a week ago, it's not that hard once you get the timing down, you just need quick fingers so you can upsmash as soon as you start up your dash attack

Race

Smash Lord
Yeah I was wondering how to do the move myself. . couldnt even pull it off once, lol

Chompskee

Smash Rookie
the best way to do the motar slide without any contact is to obviously dash and then flick the c-stick down then up ... what I did to practice this was slowed down the time in training mode in order to properly identify the frames where it needed to be done and steadily increased the game speed until I was able to do it at normal speed

just try dashing and then moving the c-stick up then down at a pretty fast speed

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i was able to do it twice, but i also used the c stick for the dash which made it easier. however, i am still working on when you have to tilt the c up

Ampleforth

Smash Cadet
the best way to do the motar slide without any contact is to obviously dash and then flick the c-stick down then up ... what I did to practice this was slowed down the time in training mode in order to properly identify the frames where it needed to be done and steadily increased the game speed until I was able to do it at normal speed

just try dashing and then moving the c-stick up then down at a pretty fast speed
You said down then up, then up then down; which is it?

Scala

Smash Ace
I can't seem to do it without the c-stick, anyone else having similar problems? The biggest issue for me is that I mapped the c-stick to be special instead of smash because it's simply more useful that way; as such, I can't do this technique...

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
I can't do it with the C-stick unless I hit someone. That's my "problem," although I'm going to say that using the analog stick is much faster, and in my opinion, much more reliable.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Hm I had a really tough time doing it with analog, it just felt awkward in transition. I finally got this down to where I can do it all the time, its all about timing it. Just c-stick/analog upsmash, whatever your preference is, the moment you hit with the START of the dash attack. Doesn't work when you hit with any frame after that. (well apparently you can do it without making contact but how to do so is beyond me).

edit: Also, if you want to charge it, hold Z after you c-stick it and release Z when you want to fire. Pretty useful :)

kevc

Smash Cadet
argh i was trying it out and i couldn't get it, can you guys clarify this point for me? to do this move do we just dash then upstick or do a dash attack then up smash?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
argh i was trying it out and i couldn't get it, can you guys clarify this point for me? to do this move do we just dash then upstick or do a dash attack then up smash?
Well, it's easier if you hit with the dash attack, so try to do so. Then, you have to make sure you c-stick or upsmash (either can work) as soon as the first frame of the dash attack hits (when snake looks like he's curling up for the roll).

Chompskee

Smash Rookie
if you want to do it with no contact you first need to dash, while dashing you c-stick down to initiate the dash attack then simultaneously c-stick up for the up smash again you need to do this quickly

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
You said down then up, then up then down; which is it?
You want to go down then up. Down c-stick to initiate the dash attack, then up c-stick for the up smash transition.

The biggest issue for me is that I mapped the c-stick to be special instead of smash because it's simply more useful that way; as such, I can't do this technique...
I think the motar slide might be a more vital move for snake rather than his RAR, with regards to changing your c-stick functions. Snakes RAR is kind of slow anyway, but to do this move I would suggest practicing it the regular way as opposed to dropping the motar slide.

edit: Also, if you want to charge it, hold Z after you c-stick it and release Z when you want to fire. Pretty useful :)
You can also charge with A. I found that a little bit easier. I don't know if you had a chance to try that or not, just a suggestion.

You want to dash attack with c-stick and up smash with up c-stick. Any c-stick command will cause you to dash attack while you are dashing.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
You can also charge with A. I found that a little bit easier. I don't know if you had a chance to try that or not, just a suggestion.
Yep, that's how I initially figured it out. I was mashing c-stick Up and Up+A and started charging the mortar. I actually ended up using A more often to charge in the last few matches I just played. My brother was the one who mentioned you could use Z to charge a c-stick attack, just like in melee (which I never knew o.O)

Fox4695

Smash Apprentice
this is murder on your thumb to get it done without hitting anything, so hard to accomplish it at game speed, I can consistently get it at 2/3, so close

Alsark

Smash Rookie
I can do it like 95% of the time with contact on 1x speed, and 95% of the time at 2/3 speed with no contact... but I guess that extra 1/3 speed is too much for me. I dunno, I'll live with it just being used under contact circumstances. I'd rather not murder my fingers.

I prefer just using the A button for this... I think it's easier... just run, press A, then up A... you don't even have to do it too quickly (with contact), plus you can charge it. Using C-stick plus Z is harder in my opinion. At higher percentages a non-charged mortar just won't do the trick if you knock the guy pretty high into the air.

kevc

Smash Cadet
wait how are you guys practicing this at 1/3 and 2/3 speeds? I go into practice mode and have not done this even once...this things hard to do man!

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else use the A button to do it without hitting the opponent?

I had trouble doing the C-stick down, C-stick up method so I switched. Now it just hit A, then up on the stick in the first few frames of the dash attack. I found this much easier.

Also every time I do it now, I try to hold down the Z button as I flick the C-stick up. That way I have the option to charge if I want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you do it this way Psycho ******? I know I've seen you charge the mortar after hitting with the dash attack.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
You can do it with the c-stick too. You just have to use Z to charge it.

And I use the A button to do it, too, since I'd rather not get into the habit of using the C-stick for my dash attacks, and since this way feels better for me.

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
guys i think this is the dlx cancel. umm it can also be done with falco and link. well thats what youtube said. but yea.. crazy find.. i will implement this into my game. along with grenade spam+nikitaspam+dsmash spam. bwahahahha. oh.. i forgot the c4

Avulse

Smash Rookie
It's pretty easy doing it while making contact... i can't seem to do it without making contact. it's possible right? do i need to use the control stick to do it with making contact?

saud

Smash Lord
Got the hang of it :D

I Dadh Attack by using the A button and C-stick up, for the Mortar. I'm still trying to get used to charging it. This is a variation of the Crombo. It is called the Cromtar Slide.

Zero000

Smash Rookie
It's pretty easy doing it while making contact... i can't seem to do it without making contact. it's possible right? do i need to use the control stick to do it with making contact?
i still have the same problem, i really think that you need contact. or im just doing it wrong. so far, i've been using this snakedash thing either on opponents (duh) or on objects (boxes and whatnot). the objects add a whole new way of using his dash cancel

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
wow thats very easy, but when couldit be useful?

btw an easy way to charge it is to use the c-stick and Z simutaneously

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
-Avoiding shieldgrabbing
-Covering a large distance in a short amount of time
-Getting away from the enemy without them following you
-Potential setup for getting the opponent airborne
-It's fun and looks cool <3
-Mindgames
-etc.

There you go.

Status