• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Subspace Teasing: Sakurai Rolls out Another Trailer for SSE

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
What makes SSE are the random match-ups. Now that it's confirmed there are split character-paths according to the choices you make (I was beginning to think Zelda got captured either way) that only heightens the possibilities.

As for the weird green/brown thing, pausing at various moments, I'd almost want to say it's King Dedede in weird lighting. Most likely just another SS enemy.

Lucas is definately using a batlike object, seems like is has a pattern on it though.

I got one freezeframe where it looked like Peach and Samus were together, but I realized it's just a fade between their two shots.
1. Sakurai already confirmed making a decision when it somes to character paths when Petey Pirahna was revealed as a boss

2. Cant help with the green brown thing.

3. Lucas uses a Stick.(what kind of stick i dont know) ...it's one of his own weapons he uses in MOTHER 3

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
It looks like Anakin Skywalker's home planet, quite frankly.

That aside, I'm glad that they aren't pairing up characters by franchise. Mario and Luigi WOULD be kinda cool, but random pairings seem much better, to me. I'm pretty much just waiting for the update saying "Snake meets Zero Suit Samus".
ZOMG DARTH VADER CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!

aleps

Smash Apprentice
Well it was a filler update, but it was quite a good one imo. It revealed a lot of new stuff and eliminates some theories as the one in whick MK is a bad guy. I also liked the new tournament mode music. And Bowser's laughter is awesome :p

SteveTV

Smash Apprentice
does anyone know where I can download this video? I usually get it from gametrailers .com but for some reason that's not working for me.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
does anyone know where I can download this video? I usually get it from gametrailers .com but for some reason that's not working for me.
Hmm it worked for me

Anyways, this trailer only increased my excitement and anticipation for this game even more than before. I can't wait to play the 8-10 hours that it'll take to complete this. The level designs look pretty amazing, and it seems like they put a lot of thought into this. The one thing it also did was get me thinking on the potential of another Kid Icarus game, after seeing a few more shots of Pit. Hopefully Nintendo can bring that series back.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
You want examples of Meta's goodness? Go play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. MK tries to save the world from and evil force. Also, we meet Dark Meta Knight, who is evil and less honorable. Meta even loans Kirby his sword (called Master in the game) to defeat Dark Mind, and then you can use it once you beat the game!! Also, play Kirby Squeak Squad. Meta steals a treasure chest, rebuilds the Halberd, and fights Kirby....only for ity to later be revealed that he was trying to prevent Kirby from opening the chest, in which was imprisoned Dark Nebula (lots a "Dark ---" villains in Kirby!!). He's saved the world just as many times as Kirby has!! Since Sakurai is Meta Knight's creator, he will place MK in the same role he's always played; a myterious, shadowy warrior who is always fighting for goodness, even if its not crystal clear that he is. The End ;)
And in Revenge of Meta Knight, he tried to conquer Dream Land and force its citizens into lives of discipline and hard work, just because he was sick of the lazy, slothful lifestyle they were happy with. And when his ship was damaged beyond repair and his plan unsalvagable, he still insisted that Kirby engage him in a duel to the death over the matter of his personal honor. And when he was defeated, he simply tried to murder Kirby out of spite as he tried to escape the burning wreckage of the Halberd before it crashed.

He's certainly not strictly evil, but people seriously need to stop thinking that everything is all sunshine and lollipops whenever Meta Knight is around. The fact that he'd rather not see the world destroyed doesn't automatically make him a paragon of virtue and benevolence. I wouldn't be suprised if he was working for Subspace willingly at the start of the game (though he'd turn against them when he became more aware of their true agenda, since they seem to have some sort of an apocalypse scheme going on).

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
And in Revenge of Meta Knight, he tried to conquer Dream Land and force its citizens into lives of discipline and hard work, just because he was sick of the lazy, slothful lifestyle they were happy with. And when his ship was damaged beyond repair and his plan unsalvagable, he still insisted that Kirby engage him in a duel to the death over the matter of his personal honor. And when he was defeated, he simply tried to murder Kirby out of spite as he tried to escape the burning wreckage of the Halberd before it crashed.

He's certainly not strictly evil, but people seriously need to stop thinking that everything is all sunshine and lollipops whenever Meta Knight is around. The fact that he'd rather not see the world destroyed doesn't automatically make him a paragon of virtue and benevolence. I wouldn't be suprised if he was working for Subspace willingly at the start of the game (though he'd turn against them when he became more aware of their true agenda, since they seem to have some sort of an apocalypse scheme going on).
But everything you say is taken from the context of the English version of KSS's Revenge of Meta Knight. In the JP version, there was never a thing of him wanting to explicitly kill Kirby, or that he wanted to so much rule Dream Land with an iron fist, militaristic rule, as what the English translation seemed to hint at. Everything that MK does is predominantly for an altruistic cause, even if the way he tries to attain it is not necessarily the most "kosher" way of doing it.

Kirby's Adventure/NiDL: He weaves and bobs between helping Kirby out, to sending his dudes after him, then finally dueling him one on one, more as a means to test Kirby. Obviously, MK's desire was probably all a part of the overall plot, perpetuated by Dedede, to see if Kirby was up to the task of taking on Nightmare; otherwise, he wouldn't have allowed Kirby to re-unite the peaces of the Star Rod.

Kirby & Amazing Mirror: Already covered

Kirby Squeak Squad: Went and put the snatch on the treasure, predominantly because, again, he thought it was the right thing to do in order to safe guard Dream Land. Why he opted to just go "YOINK!" instead of explicitly telling Kirby why he acted as such from the jump, I couldn't tell you. Probably because, at this point, he actually likes, and looks forward to his duels with Kirby, because after all, Kirby is about the only one who could stand to match him in skill.

So, beyond "Revenge" (who's translation probably took a few liberties), MK's overall demeanor is pretty much what the anime depicted him as: he's a chivalrous individual with predominantly altruistic intentions in mind. Whether or not the people around him will see it the same way he does, is always left to be seen.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
HOLY CRAP I LOVE YOU SAKURAI, but more importantly, I LOVE THE SUBSPACE EMISSARY!!

forgive me

However I still think that Meta-Knight will be sort of undercover working with the bad guys, as in not really a bad guy. Or as said above will start out for the bad guys, then question what he is doing. Its the only sort of story I can imagine him having.

Plus, i saw fire and smoke, is it the underworls??? or is it a volcano where Bowsers Castle is and is being used as a base

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Good update.Not fantastic like a few people said.A rehash of a lot of the same things, but a few new ones as well. So it's easily the best update the past few weeks,but not anything incredible.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
The bridge kind of reminded me of Gannon's castle from OOT.

Wouldn't it be halarious if Ice climbers were villains in the SE.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
This vid was pretty awesome. It inspired me to watch the Sonic vid again and compare awesomeness. SSE looks cool, and long. I'm glad they showed som new level types, I was beginning to worry the whole game took place in Skyworld and a Jungle...

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
Well, not to incite any false hope or anything, but perhaps the reason why their voices are (or are not) different may have to do with the possibility of speech in SSE. Or perhaps, for one of Ike's taunts, he says something.

You just have to add LOTR's Requiem for a Dream Overture and this could be shown in theaters.

Also, MK and the Ice Climbers make a surprisingly interesting team.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
So last time we see Diddy and DK together, they were about to face Bowser in battle.
Then we see Diddy by himself running into Fox. Then Bowser fires a Trophy-itizing cannon at Diddy and Fox?

Did Bowser get DK? Is that why he's missing? DK got Trophy'd?

Awesome video, looks like great fun.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
But everything you say is taken from the context of the English version of KSS's Revenge of Meta Knight. In the JP version, there was never a thing of him wanting to explicitly kill Kirby, or that he wanted to so much rule Dream Land with an iron fist, militaristic rule, as what the English translation seemed to hint at. Everything that MK does is predominantly for an altruistic cause, even if the way he tries to attain it is not necessarily the most "kosher" way of doing it.
Well, I don't have any translation other than the English one, so I can't comment too specifically on that. But even if you assume that the implication of a lust for power is false (I never really thought of him that way anyway), the basic message of "conquer Dream Land to bring order and discipline" is, I assume, valid. And as for militaristic rule, it's pretty much implied. If he was just going to stand on a podium, say "Discipline is good, you should all be less lazy", and then be on his merry way, he wouldn't have been using a warship. The people of Dream Land like their relaxed lifestyle. Tyranny is going to happen. He just doesn't care, because he thinks it's the righteous thing to do and is intolerant to opposing belief systems. That isn't strictly evil, but it's not exactly what I'd call good either.

Kirby's Adventure/NiDL: He weaves and bobs between helping Kirby out, to sending his dudes after him, then finally dueling him one on one, more as a means to test Kirby. Obviously, MK's desire was probably all a part of the overall plot, perpetuated by Dedede, to see if Kirby was up to the task of taking on Nightmare; otherwise, he wouldn't have allowed Kirby to re-unite the peaces of the Star Rod.

Kirby & Amazing Mirror: Already covered

Kirby Squeak Squad: Went and put the snatch on the treasure, predominantly because, again, he thought it was the right thing to do in order to safe guard Dream Land. Why he opted to just go "YOINK!" instead of explicitly telling Kirby why he acted as such from the jump, I couldn't tell you. Probably because, at this point, he actually likes, and looks forward to his duels with Kirby, because after all, Kirby is about the only one who could stand to match him in skill.
Obviously Meta Knight cares enough about Dream Land that he doesn't want to see it destroyed. He's heroic in that sense. But it's important not to forget about the side of him shown in Revenge of Meta Knight.

As for the whole thing between Meta Knight and Kirby: you kind of have to put it in perspective. He likes to pit himself against Kirby as a matter of honor and displaying ability, but do you really think Kirby shares that view? Kirby has a generally benevolent and helpful personality, but I've always thought of him as being pretty oblivious to things like morality and honor. He's certainly not someone who would want to risk death over matters of honor. To him, Meta Knight tries to kill him and he defends himself...that's all there is to it. Meta Knight's obsessive antagonism is almost a little cruel when you look at it that way, though once again he personally doesn't think of it that way.

So, beyond "Revenge" (who's translation probably took a few liberties), MK's overall demeanor is pretty much what the anime depicted him as: he's a chivalrous individual with predominantly altruistic intentions in mind. Whether or not the people around him will see it the same way he does, is always left to be seen.
His intentions are altruistic, but he is surrounded by people who don't share his code of honor and morality, and he doesn't have much respect for that difference in opinion. He doesn't hate them in a way that he wants to see them dead or anything of the sort, but his self-righteousness is a significant part of his character. You have to look at both his intentions and his actions, and look at him from the perspective of those around him.

In any case, I'm sure he'll be on the "good guy" team by the end of Subspace Emissary because he's not going to want to see the world destroyed, but that doesn't automatically make him a "good person".

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Why did they make this video?
It can't just be to please the veiwers of the dojo, because at the end, it provides a link to www.smashbros.com.
Are they using these elsewhere?
Commercials maybe?

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
The only two things I'm wondering are:

1. Why Meta Knight and Ice Climbers? I mean...what? Really big WTF there, but a good one.

2. What happened to Donkey Kong? Was he beaten? Perish the thought...

Bowser just gets better and better and better. Once Giga Bowser shows up, the entire Subspace will be the biggest win ever.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
The only two things I'm wondering are:

1. Why Meta Knight and Ice Climbers? I mean...what? Really big WTF there, but a good one.

2. What happened to Donkey Kong? Was he beaten? Perish the thought...

Bowser just gets better and better and better. Once Giga Bowser shows up, the entire Subspace will be the biggest win ever.
I really don't know whats so hard to imagining the ability to choose your team members that you have rescued :O

Bajef8

Smash Ace
did any one see magikarp on the level with yoshi and link? and what are those things made of at the ice climbers and mk's part?

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
@oxyborb- the character jumping, I am pretty sure that is the scene where Fox ejects from his Arwing from the Fox's Misfortune cutscene.

@Gargomon251- There was SSE cutscenes at E for All. The one with Wario and the Trophy Gun is this one= http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26687.html This one is #2 in the list below
I found 4 cutscenes from E for All
1) http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26689.html
2)http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26687.html
3)http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26662.html
4)http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26652.html

They go in order and if they don't come up as links I am sorry, then just copy and paste.

Anyways to get back on topic, if Bowser is attacking Fox and Diddy it has to make you wonder what happened to Donkey Kong. I heard that he was fighting Bowser right before Donkey and Diddy got split up and Diddy found the Arwing.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
What can possibly be behind that red glowing door?, it must be important since they especificly showed the door to us... so what is it? :dizzy:

Peach's and Pikachu's location is still a mystery... Peach's looks particulary bright, maybe outside a building? :confused:

But more importantly....

WHAT'S BEHIND THAT DOOR?!?!? :crazy:

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
pcamtz, those doors are just how you got from area to area. They were shown on the gametrailer videos in which we saw Donkey/Diddy and Mario/Pit go through.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Bear in mind that it's not necessarily just Ice Climbers and Meta Knight. As the game goes on, the teams will get bigger and eventually merge together. For all we know, that might be a clip from late in the game with half of the cast in one big group, and those just happened to be the characters that the player chose.

Either that, or Sakurai is deliberately choosing the most unlikely pairings just to make things extra-wacky.

Top Bottom