• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
If something does not add depth(IE there is no reason to NOT l-cancel for example), and it only creates a technical barrier of skills. Then YES, it does reduce competition.
It doesn't reduce competition, it actually increases it.

If you put 1-frame links in a game, then a part of the competition will be about who can do 1-frame links more consistently... and not only about strategy. So the same game will basically require another set of skills... you will have to be good at two things instead of one in order to be on top.

Now the real debate is whether or not high technical skill should be an important part of the skillset required to play SF4 or any other fighting game.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I think skillset should, but even sf2 didn't have 1/60th frame timings, making this mad hard.

Nonetheless, i want to try and see how far i can get in this game too.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much.

You're catering to the casual gamers here swordgard, and while I do agree that they too are allowed to have some fun, they ain't got **** to do in an argument about competitiveness. The serious gamer will work on all the execution barriers required to excel at his game of choice, and like brick said, all it does is add an extra set of skills to master.

BigRick

Smash Master
I think skillset should, but even sf2 didn't have 1/60th frame timings, making this mad hard.

Nonetheless, i want to try and see how far i can get in this game too.
actually, reversals in sf2 have a 1-frame window... you can kinda get around that with pianoing but it's still 1-frame

reversals in sf4 have about a 10-frame window which is pretty crazy like one of my scrub friends that could never do a reversal in HD remix was able to do his reversal shoryus like 95% of the time lol so it was kinda boring I was spending the whole game crouch blocking out of grab range and punish them shoryus

WarranThad

Smash Ace
but for sirlin, and for me, the real game isn't button inputs but outplaying your opponent. yes it's a different skill to be able to press buttons very quickly in a certain order is neither fun nor thought intensive. you can practice for 6 hours a day in your basement straight to get this **** down. that's neither fun nor thoughtful. like grinding in an MMO. zzz. what i like about something like a collectible card game is its just you vs opponent. Sadly they have huge Luck factors due to random draws etc. which is why i prefer fighting games... as long as i can perform the inputs without hours and hours of practice.

swordgard

Smash Hero
but for sirlin, and for me, the real game isn't button inputs but outplaying your opponent. yes it's a different skill to be able to press buttons very quickly in a certain order is neither fun nor thought intensive. you can practice for 6 hours a day in your basement straight to get this **** down. that's neither fun nor thoughtful. like grinding in an MMO. zzz. what i like about something like a collectible card game is its just you vs opponent. Sadly they have huge Luck factors due to random draws etc. which is why i prefer fighting games... as long as i can perform the inputs without hours and hours of practice.

Exactly, thats what competition means. You dont get anything more by adding this difficult for no reason.

Hell while were at it, make it so that blocking requires circle square circle circle triangle square under 1 sec to block 1 move.

Yes it is pointless.

This is not making it more competitive, you do not add any depth to the game. Your just making competition lower by preventing some people from competing. Wavedashing added depth, lcancelling didnt. Same applies here <.<

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Exactly, thats what competition means. You dont get anything more by adding this difficult for no reason.

Hell while were at it, make it so that blocking requires circle square circle circle triangle square under 1 sec to block 1 move.

Yes it is pointless.

This is not making it more competitive, you do not add any depth to the game. Your just making competition lower by preventing some people from competing. Wavedashing added depth, lcancelling didnt. Same applies here <.<
Yeah I too agree. The problem here is where do we draw the line of what makes the game too difficult and do intense for most players while not making it too easy as well.

I think that sf series, imo, pushes those boundaries a tad bit far. Heck, I was talking to a guy at work who plays sf4 and says how he beats most people he knows and that he could probably beat me. After I agreed to his previous statement, I went on to talk about frames with him and he was like "lol wut?".

BigRick

Smash Master

Yes it is pointless.

Hmm WarranThad got I what I meant but I'm not sure if you did.

Competitiveness is not an inclusive thing, it's an exclusive thing. If it was inclusive based then Tic Tac Toe would've been one of the most competitive game ever.

1-frame links prevents other people from competing... but it's simply because it asks them to master another kind of skill, which is tech skill. I'm not saying that it's a good thing, but you gotta admit that it requires skill to do these links 100% of the time.

Some people compete at other games... look at DDR. These games are all about button inputs and there's very little ''depth'' outside of that. The game just requires another skillset.

Now, Sirlin's argument is not about making the game more competitive. It's about making the game more interesting... For him, strategy is fun and button inputs are not. Therefore, he thinks that SF4 would be a funnier game to play if there would be less emphasis on complicated button inputs.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
god **** im trying to do the hard trials for zangief and i cant even do hard 1. its focus attack quick lariat ex focus attack ex banishing flat. I get up to the ex focus cancel but i always end up dashing too late to get in the banishing flat.

matt is now trying to do ken hard 3 and the cancel for JHK+Clp+Chp is just crazy. dan always ends up blocking the chp which makes the rest just fail. the link between the clp and the chp is just way tooo ****ing narrow for any human to perform consistently without ridiculous practice.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
god **** im trying to do the hard trials for zangief and i cant even do hard 1. its focus attack quick lariat ex focus attack ex banishing flat. I get up to the ex focus cancel but i always end up dashing too late to get in the banishing flat.

matt is now trying to do ken hard 3 and the cancel for JHK+Clp+Chp is just crazy. dan always ends up blocking the chp which makes the rest just fail. the link between the clp and the chp is just way tooo ****ing narrow for any human to perform consistently without ridiculous practice.
I had a hard time with the Ryu normal :(

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Buy a madcats/capcom one for a 100-150$ and wait for it to break in two months because it doesnt register when you tap downwards

or

Buy the tourney edition which you have to preorder, only comes in a few weeks from now and cost 200$.

Nope, neither sound like a good enough plan to me at the moment.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Can't you just buy parts and do it yourself?

Bleh. Waiting 6-9 weeks just because SFIV is out and rushing all dem peeps is pretty stupid.

BigRick

Smash Master
I can help you with that one, you have to do it guilty gear style (6, Roman Cancel, 6) and take advantage of the buffers.

This means that when you Kick lariat, you tap forward, then ex focus, then tap forward you will be able to dash very quickly because the game will still remember the first forward that you inputted before the ex focus.

The quickest way to do the challenge input wise is like this:

MP+MK
fwd,fwd during the hit
KKK, fwd
MP+MK (hold them down), fwd
down, downfwd+PPP

as you can see the second forward is not only used to activate the dash but also used as the first input for the ex flat

WarranThad

Smash Ace
good stuff rick. i think i should just spend the money on the stick. also i didnt know giefs standing roundhouse gave his spd's such beastly range. i really need to improve my game some more, i was losing to jumping roundhouses from shotos yesterday because i didnt know about hwo crazy good headbutt is or how to lariat them properly (now i do though)

now i just need to learn my spacing on ex green glove and my gief will be much improved

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
okay so I arrive on the 15th and I was looking at the calender so, how about a fest on the 17th (tuesday), 19th (thursday), and the 20th (friday). I wanna see who is interested in these days and if there is enough people I will host on all the 3 day. THE "C"let FESTS ARE BACK GET HYPE!!!

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
FC: 0430-8042-2440. I'm really good in smash, I'm looking for good challenges. Put tournament info quickly, because since it's spring break, I can be online every afternoon., and I looking forward for owning you! lol

swordgard

Smash Hero
FC: 0430-8042-2440. I'm really good in smash, I'm looking for good challenges. Put tournament info quickly, because since it's spring break, I can be online every afternoon., and I looking forward for owning you! lol
Is your name AiR by any chance?

lolol

Speaking of which, i would play you online, but i cant. Once again in mexico lol

cemo

white walker
it's a joke, don't listen to him he's a scrub.

i don't play online, though. (my lan adapter doesn't work ;.; )

Steb

Smash Journeyman
okay so I arrive on the 15th and I was looking at the calender so, how about a fest on the 17th (tuesday), 19th (thursday), and the 20th (friday). I wanna see who is interested in these days and if there is enough people I will host on all the 3 day. THE "C"let FESTS ARE BACK GET HYPE!!!
Alright, Clet's coming back!
Unfortunately, I might not be able to come to any of those. I'll try my best though.

Steb is awesome.
Haha, thanks I guess? I got a winning streak again. Most of the people I faced in brackets were actually from Montreal unfortunately.

There won't be a tournament until March 21 in Montreal.
Try coming to the weeklies instead though. We have a small tournament bracket there sometimes:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=90446

kr3wman

Smash Master
Classes are boring :/ I think I spend more time sleeping/dozing off then actually learning something.

cemo

white walker
Someone should get Stef to the Dawson brawl tournament, since one of their rules is "if you don't agree on a stage after 30 seconds it defaults to FD"

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Oh sorry viper, I didn't pay attention to your message. I prefer playing against you when your internet works well, because the match may not work well because of the internet.

cemo

white walker
So how about a Montreal PR? I know there's been a lot of drama about PRs before, but I think it'll help more than hurt. Or is one already being planned? After FFYF2 seems like the best time for it.

swordgard

Smash Hero
So how about a Montreal PR? I know there's been a lot of drama about PRs before, but I think it'll help more than hurt. Or is one already being planned? After FFYF2 seems like the best time for it.

Ancient master seigo for top tier!!!

No but seriously, a PR would be nice after ffyf2.

It would surely allow us all to increase the drama indeed which is always a very nice thing.

I dont know if a PR is really needed, but we need good panelists for sure.

Top Bottom