• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MONSTER - Mother didn't taste like V, back in the day...

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
So, I drank my first Monster today.

I was at Woolies buying breakfast and I saw tons of unfamiliar energy drinks so in a very don't-give-a-****-if-I-waste-time manner, I started browsing the selection.

Monster stood out to me (something about every American ever saying Monster is the biggest energy drink there vs. Gords saying XS is, can't remember all the details), plus it had a pretty mad blurb/ad/whateveritis on the can so I thought, hey, I'll buy one and have it tonight, see what it's like.

I had it at 6pm. First impressions were it tasted kinda like V and gave a similar kind of short buzz (what felt like 5min). During this period I also notice the can says "twice the buzz of a 250mL can." The can I bought was 500mL. Whatever. Not amazing, but I can live with it.

Then I check the time. 8pm.

What the ****?

Ant1

Smash Ace
oooeeeeoooo twilight zone. Perhaps u entered another dimension on ur travels.

They had like a free supply of monster energy drinks at one of the lans here in s.a. There was like half drunken cans everywhere.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I can't decide whether that is a good or bad thing.

... :(

Zero

Smash Hero
I had my first can of Monster on August 24th. I stayed up until 4:30am, slept 2 and a half hours.

I then went to school for 8 hours, slept for 14 hours the second I got home.

In my coma, I caught a flu which has lasted for two weeks, did not study for my exam the following day (which I failed badly). I then took a week off school.

It also tasted like crap.

Monster sucks and American tastes are ****.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Learn to stay awake without drinking ****ty caffeine that may or may not kill you.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I had 2 monsters one after another before going to see pirates of the carribean dead mans chest.
I think everyone who watched it with me hates me Lol, I was hyper as.

Was so worked up I was shaking, didn't sleep till about 3 in the morning either.

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, need at least FOUR cans of monster!

But really, 8 cans of red bull = heart attack, dontcha know.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wtf tim...

caffeine causes sleeping problems and stuff, best to just not drink it altogether, although dr pepper sure is tasty, but yeah, zero you need to learn to sleep long periods without getting sick, after the last tourney I slept 16 hours, got up for 3 and then slept for another 3. it was great!

Sieg

Smash Champion
Raid with Malaysians till 1am.

Wake up at 6am.

Listen to music for about an hour to work.

Totally awake when I get to work.

Have a walk in the morning and you'll be fine.

I've never had to drink energy drinks lol.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Meh.

I drink them because I think they're tasty, not for energy. lol

Never really bought into the whole energy thing, tbh I don't find the "hit" from a V much different from a Coke.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I liked how the original Mother tasted, then they had to go and pull that "reformulated taste" stunt. Made you **** like mad though.

Now it just tastes like berry V.

Actually, lots of things taste like V now I think about it.

Ant1

Smash Ace
Sort of related to this topic but i remember there was this guy who came out with my group of friends, and got like drunk off of V.
He wasn't drunk, but he tried to act drunk even though he was drinking v...

And he got paid out for it, as u'd expect.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Meh.

I drink them because I think they're tasty, not for energy. lol

Never really bought into the whole energy thing, tbh I don't find the "hit" from a V much different from a Coke.
If you look at the kilojoules of energy that coke and v gives, they're not much different.
I reckon V just gives you more of an immediate effect as well as it giving you a mental effect as you see that its an "energy" drink.

I like V ^^

Sieg

Smash Champion
Some energy drinks have up to 5 cups of coffee in them.

And people are drinking like 6 cans a day.

It's not good for you.

Go for a god**** walk to wake up.

Ant1

Smash Ace
Or eat some really spicy chilli. That'll wake u up and keep u up for a while.
Just don't swallow the chilli or u'll know about it when u go to do a no.2 lol

isthattim?

Smash Ace
If you look at the kilojoules of energy that coke and v gives, they're not much different.
I reckon V just gives you more of an immediate effect as well as it giving you a mental effect as you see that its an "energy" drink.

I like V ^^

theres a lot more to "energy" than simply kilojoule content, a lot of it is the form that the sugar is in that affects how quickly you metbolise it and therefore how quickly it is available to your brain

Don't forget the extra taurine and guarana in them...
its been proven that both those have no real effect iirc

heres an article btw
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19606453?ordinalpos=12&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

either way it is agreed that energy drinks are probably bad for you especially if you're under 20ish

also sieg et al, ****ing sleep more
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
eh tim I didn't mean to imply they don't give energy, they obviously do, I'm just saying I don't really feel it and it's not why I drink them. :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Or eat some really spicy chilli. That'll wake u up and keep u up for a while.
Just don't swallow the chilli or u'll know about it when u go to do a no.2 lol
dont wanna know, but spicy food helps me stay awake when needed, also walking around outside in the cold air helps heaps too but if you do it too long the cold makes you even more tired.

also I could be wrong but I do believe the more you drink it the more your body gets used to it and the less of an effect it has on you.

also carbohydrates are important for energy too, but pretty much everything has way more then you need these days.

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
Now if you want a real kick your gonna need yourself some good old fashioned cocaine

Top Bottom