• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Money Matches: An introduction

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Money Matches seem extremely popular in SSBM. Essentially, playing a Money Matche is Gambling. MMs give people a real reason to practice SSBM a lot, and it can be the ultimate test of skill between rivals.

When is it honorable to accept/decline a money match?

I think it's safe to say that there are 3 conditions where you have to accept.

1. you have talked trash on the opponent in the past or present
  2. You have beaten the opponent in a MM in the past and they challenge you.
  3. Your mom pays for you to enter tournaments.

There are 3 conditions where it is still honorable to decline a money match
  1. You have a poor win ratio vs this person (25% and less)
  2. You have lost a money match to this person in the recent past.
  3. You don't want to take this person's money. (Win ratio of 75% or more)

The magnitude of intensity the money match has is related to how much $ the wager is set to.
  1. $.25-3$ is a joke match. This is the "safe way" and the boring way to have a MM.
  2. $5 This is the conventional money match. 5$ MMs really add up. The standard amount between close players.
  3. $10 is a serious match. Both players are both confident they can win, and the inevitable battle must begin.
  4. $15 MMs happen when someone has something to prove. If a player wants to prove that they are better, a 15$ money match is usually the weapon of choice. This is where boys become men.
  5. $20+ is for serious high rollers only. Not a lot of these matches occurr, but it's usually a large event between big names, and most often in intense rivalries.

What are you people's experiences with money matches? I have a lot ^^

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Nice post. Don't exactly see how much discussion it can create, but w/e. I've done 5 MM's in the past, winning 4: 1 against Tope for 5$, a team MM against Dire for 10$/team, and 2 against some dudes I can't remember, each for 5$, at Jtyme and Bomb4, losing the other one to Chillin for 10$. So I guess I'm ahead 10$ so far, heh...

Tiza

Smash Rookie
I think 25% and 75% are too broad to say that you have a poor/ridiculous win ratio against someone. I have a friend who I play and can go somewhere around 25%/75% with, and every match feels pretty close. I would think somewhere closer to 5%-10% and 90%-95% would be better.

All in all though, an interesting post, although I'm with N1c2k3 in that I don't see where much discussion is going to come of this.

Cort

Apple Head
Solar, MM me at OAK. :)

You forgot to add in the king of MMs, KoreanDJ. He made like 90 dollars at Cataclysm 2 back when he.. wasn't so good. And he ended up MMing just about everyone, lol.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Let me think...
One handed versus Two handed money matches (all for $2), all occured in last two months
won against Para (2-0) (Mathos's house)
won against Demigod (2-0) (CoK2)
won against someone else cant remember who (2-0) (CoK2)
lost against big C (2-1) (CoK2)
lost against big D (2-1) (CoK2)
lost against OS (2-0) (CoK2)
lost against Iggy (2-0) (CoK2)

One handed versus one handed matches (all for $5)
lost against ChuDat (2-1) (november 2005, at BOMB4)
won against ChuDat( 2-1) (July 2006, MLG Chicago)
lost against ChuDat (2-0) (September 2006, CCX)

two handed versus two handed matches (varying amounts)
lost to KM (2-0) $10 (april 2004, BOMB2)
won against Victor (2-0) $10 (November 2006, Victor house)
lost against Wife (3-1) $5 (April 2005, BOMB3)
won against OverSwarm (2-0) $1 (November 2006, SMYM)

Crew money match
PU (ChuDat, MuffinKing, Kiraki, AlphaZealot)
Versus
Team Ben (Neo, Wife, Husband, Oro)
MLG DC, January 2005
Never finished, for $20

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
cant you decline a money match because you dont want to play for money?

Fletch

Smash Master
No, you're obligated to play against every person who ever challenges you for any amount of money they deem appropriate. Well-known rule of smash. MM $100?

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
I heard standard money matches for Marvel Vs Capcom 2 players on the east coast is $100, and they'll bet $100 on things like the Crab Stuff Animal game where someone will get like 3 tries to get a stuffed animal for $100.

Jedi (Marth)

Smash Cadet
Have to agree with the "not much room for discussion" response here. And also with Tiza about the proposed ratios, but I like the idea of those ratios in general; some players just perform better / worse against a certain player sometimes. I can't tell you how much I hate playing my friend when he uses Shiek, just because almost every game he uses any other character I win with stock to spare, but when he's Shiek it just puts my game off. /hate

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha i mm'd everyone until after oc2 went by and i'm not serious anymore

i've made a couple hundred moneys in my money match past, not bad for bowser eh? i made like 70 at oc2, so i made my entrance fee back + ten woot woot XD

bowser is a money match monster!

Schweppes

Smash Ace
$20+ is for serious high rollers only. Not a lot of these matches occurr, but it's usually a large event between big names, and most often in intense rivalries.

Me vs. Larx. =D

SOLAR

Smash Ace
I think 25% and 75% are too broad to say that you have a poor/ridiculous win ratio against someone. I have a friend who I play and can go somewhere around 25%/75% with, and every match feels pretty close. I would think somewhere closer to 5%-10% and 90%-95% would be better.
No, if you lose the most of the matches, then it's not dishonorable to deny a request. I know what you mean, that it could very well be a good match, but you aren't a pansy if you reject a match with someone who has such an advantage.

If you don't money match ANYONE, then these rules don't apply to you.

"cort said:
Solar, MM me at OAK.

You forgot to add in the king of MMs, KoreanDJ. He made like 90 dollars at Cataclysm 2 back when he.. wasn't so good. And he ended up MMing just about everyone, lol.
Yeah I'm down with that!

$20+ is for serious high rollers only. Not a lot of these matches occurr, but it's usually a large event between big names, and most often in intense rivalries.

Me vs. Larx. =D
Actually, you vs larx follows more along the lines of "my mother gave me money to play" :chuckle: Oh and schwepman we got a 5$-10$ MM right?

Adat

Smash Cadet
u know money matches also depend on how much money the person has :p prson with big $ doesn't care as much wht the wager is

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
  • Your mom pays for you to enter tournaments.
I think this was the only thing SOLAR was really trying to post here. You'd know what I'm talking about if you knew about a MM he has with a certain un-named someone... >_>

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I found that a good strategy during money matches is standing directly in front of the television so your opponent can't see the screen.

During this, you're almost guaranteed to have the advantage, so use it to its fullest potential before you're clubbed in the back of the head.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
lol solar I love your threads. You should try to bring back the thread on counterpicks again, maybe you'll get better responses this time.

Solar I'll mm you $500.00, that is your plane ticket to cali.. Just don't know how i'm going do it until you are actually in california which you're probably never going to be.

Skler

Smash Master
Solar, $5 MM at MST:7 baby! Err, on topic again.

MMs are fun, it isn't about the money, it's about what you can buy at Wendy's after regardless of if you win or lose.

usea

Smash Ace
No. SOLAR defines what is and is not honorable. If you go against his beliefs then you will be insulted and snubbed at tournaments by him. This is a fate worse than death, since everybody wants to hang out with him and hopefully one day he will acknowledge your existence. This is essentially like being accepted into heaven.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
my total moneymatches:

me + youppi (one of my friends who is even noober than me) vs Chu Dat, $1 (lost)
me + youppi + jigg vs Chu Dat, $1 (won)
me + youppi + jigg vs Chu Dat, round 2, $1 (won)

i am soooo good at 3 vs 1 >.>

Ceriph

Smash Apprentice
Sounds intriguing. I haven't seen one but I like your explanations. I would personally decline money matches until I was confident enough to win, regardless of never playing a person even if it was a joke match.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
I found that a good strategy during money matches is standing directly in front of the television so your opponent can't see the screen.

During this, you're almost guaranteed to have the advantage, so use it to its fullest potential before you're clubbed in the back of the head.
another strategy is to have a crew member unplug your opponents controller, and then split the money with your friend.

after you win, make fun of your miserable, defeated opponent for lack of technical skill.

Brookman

Smash Hero
when I saw the name of the topic I was shocked to see it wasn't made by KDJ!

lol, good post, I like the 3rd reason to accept a money match lol.

LOLOLOLOLOLLLOLO

(that's me making fun of myself)

Top Bottom