• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I prefer if Pittoo wasn't in at all. If the alt colors do somehow return (remember Sakurai can change his mind), then we're most likely gonna get the black Pit costume to be recolored so he'll look exactly like Pittoo.

I prefer "Parutena"... or wait, that's the JP version of her name.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
When Lady Palutena gets announced, I call making her image gallery. Callin' dibs right now.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I also don't really want Pittoo as a character, but I'd be cool with it if he was presented with the three sacred treasures. Cause I like those, that was one of the best parts of the original NES game going at Medusa with those. I just used Pittoo cause I'd rather have him than "Great Sacred Treasure Pit" as a character.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'd be pretty happy seeing Pittoo. Not over Palutena, but Kid Icarus has a lot of interesting weapons, most of which probably won't see play from Pit, and all the other people from Kid Icarus who could get in would likely use their own fighting style. Pittoo could use a mishmash style of all the weapons though.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
My biggest issue with Pittoo is that he is too aesthetically similar to Pit. Sure he can use different weapons, but it would feel way off for me and I bet a lot of people too. I think a palette swap is the perfect way to represent him.

Last edited:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
He also isn't in Brawl, as the alternate color isn't an exact match for Pittoo, there are difference. And I agree that he's immensely similar to Pit. I still think he could be a fun addition, and being similar to an existing character hasn't stopped past additions.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Oi, this here's the Palutena thread. Isn't there some Pittoo thread somewhere else where this can be discussed? Btw, I love how everyone just calls him Pittoo xD

As for Palutena, the people who keep mentioning that KI is not large enough ... it's important to keep in mind the opening cinematic of the first trailer, in which eight franchises pretty much played the main role: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. I'm pretty sure in Sakurai's perspective, there are the head honcho Nintendo franchises, even if Kid Icarus only got revived recently. I'd be surprised given the esteem he hold for the series for there not to be a second character. It's akin to Metroid STILL not really having an extra fighter aside from Samus.
It's even more of an offender when the game is literally called Palutena's Mirror.

And then of course there's all the other million reasons.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
1. Palutena is still probably more important to KI than Toad will ever be to Mario. Palutena is more of an actual character that is central to the games, while Toad is basically a generic goon who's also filler. It'd be like adding the Waddle Dee from Retu-*sees sig*, Ah, I guess you'd be cool with that. Also, Rosalina and WFT ARE important in their own ways. Rosalina was a central element of Mario Galaxy, which was not only Nintendo's most critically acclaimed title of the Wii era, but quite possibly ever, and her entire moveset breaths on Galaxy's mechanics, making her the perfect representative of it. WFT, of course, basically represents when Nintendo was finally back on top of the console market after years of middling to poor hardware sales. To say she's not important is like saying "R.O.B is a stupid toy, he's not important, cut him for Goko plz".

2. Most of those series you mentioned there aren't what I'd say "undeserving" of a 2nd character, they just typically don't have any. F-Zero and Animal Crossing are both series that aren't primarily about combat, so having one character on the roster is already, in a way, stretching it as it is, so they're just fine with one character under any circumstances. With Pikmin, it's just that none of the additional Pikmin characters really have anything to offer. In the gameplay of the Pikmin games, they all play exactly the same as Olimar does. It's not even like Luigi who has his own stats (Being floatier and having less traction) that are reflected upon. And no, I don't think the rock and flying pikmin are enough to warrant a full character, especially when the former functions very similarly to that of the purple pikmin. About Punch-Out, the only thing I can actually see probably working is maybe have Doc Louis as like a semi-clone of Little Mac. He's definitely a lot more central to PO!! than someone like King Hippo, being Mac's trainer (He's to LM as Palutena is to Pit, basically), but considering we just got Little Mac and Sakurai is looking for more unique characters, I don't see Doc happening for Smash 4, at least.

I'd like to know your opinion on Star Fox having three characters then, because by that logic, having five games isn't enough for three characters, and it has just that.

But really, should I question the logic of someone who made a support thread for Baby Bowser? http://smashboards.com/threads/talk-about-a-temper-tantrum-baby-bowser-for-smash-4.347996/
  1. I hope you really aren't saying that Palutena is more important than Toad. I understand you're talking about series relevant, but it's easy to be more relevant to a series when it's so small. That's like saying the capital of Zimbabwe is more important than the capital of Pennsylvania, it's just because it's smaller. Rosalina is important, mind you, but not in the since of the series' secondary antagonist(Bowser Jr.), or on of the series' most long-lasting characters(Toad). I wouldn't put money on Mario Galaxy being the most popular Mario game, I'd say Mario Kart Wii, or the original Super Mario Bros. Wii Fit sold well, but that's like saying that we should put Nintendog in. Not enough uniqueness, just a bland character. And no, I wouldn't replace R.O.B. with Goku the Saiyan, but maybe Goku the Monkey.
  2. F-Zero is deserving of two characters, mostly because of it's importance as one of Nintendo's main series in the 64 and GC days. A classic series, sadly under-repped. It could easily be given a new one, whether it's Goroh, using a fast, samurai type of fighting style, Pico, a character who would be focused on using his shell and blaster, along with being in the army, which could serve as plenty of inspiration. Or Black Shadow, a pseudo-clone of Captain Falcon, freeing Ganondorf of his shackles to get a new moveset. Pikmin does have a good new rep, Drake's Crew. A trio of astronauts, Alph, Brittany and Charlie. Alph would be the all-around member, mixing throwing with hitting, Brittany being good at throwing Pikmin but a horrendous hitter, and Charlie being a good hitter, around the Pikmin-less strength of Link, but an awful thrower. They would only utilize rock and fairy Pikmin, rock being heavy and slow, while fairies are dainty but good at continuing hits. I don't think Punch-Out deserves a new character, that was just an example.
My opinion of Star Fox is that I dislike Falco's inclusion, and would've enjoyed having Fox and Wolf/Krystal instead. And that thread was an idea given to me indirectly by Mega Bidoof and I went through with it, not really liking the idea, but it's there. So, thanks for the feedback, I hope none of you were offended, and remember: it's pure speculation. None of us know what the future holds, so I wish all of you good luck with your character.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Palutena first please then Pittoo
I'd like Medusa before Palutena but I shouldn't be saying that in the Palutena support thread so I'm gonna put a strike over this to imply you shouldn't read it but it's still totally a thing I'd prefer to happen all the same.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Oi, this here's the Palutena thread. Isn't there some Pittoo thread somewhere else where this can be discussed? Btw, I love how everyone just calls him Pittoo xD

As for Palutena, the people who keep mentioning that KI is not large enough ... it's important to keep in mind the opening cinematic of the first trailer, in which eight franchises pretty much played the main role: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. I'm pretty sure in Sakurai's perspective, there are the head honcho Nintendo franchises, even if Kid Icarus only got revived recently. I'd be surprised given the esteem he hold for the series for there not to be a second character. It's akin to Metroid STILL not really having an extra fighter aside from Samus.
It's even more of an offender when the game is literally called Palutena's Mirror.

And then of course there's all the other million reasons.
That and the fact that he wanted to add Pit (the cupid/original design) to Smash 64 but was cut due to the fact that the wings were hard to program with the N64's hardware, or that's what I've heard.

In Sakurai's eyes Kid Icarus is a main franchise and no one can deny that... and I-love-him-for-that.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
ErenJager (the leaker who stated that he was told that Palutena was an Assist Trophy at a Smash Demo at a DK demo event last weekend) has stated that he has no reason to believe that the guy who told him that Palutena was an Assist Trophy was lying.

Also, it looks like someone else has posted information about said Smash Demo on another forum. It's information that ErenJager has already posted but the fact that this other user has been a regular on the website where he posted this information seems to suggest that he was telling the truth (and therefore, the picture leak is fake and Palutena is indeed an Assist Trophy):

Here's a link to the thread in question: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Bros-Wii-U?p=25530369&viewfull=1#post25530369

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The inclusion of Palutena will probably drive the KI series forward, but now that Sakurai has stated he's no longer making a KI game, I'm starting to worry that he may not add Palutena at all, but that's his decision I guess.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think that we can all unanimously agree that if an image gallery is to be made, it should be created by Admiral, no questions.
*hisses* I MAKE IT. ME.

Although Admiral making it would make sense, all things considered. :laugh:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
ErenJager (the leaker who stated that he was told that Palutena was an Assist Trophy at a Smash Demo at a DK demo event last weekend) has stated that he has no reason to believe that the guy who told him that Palutena was an Assist Trophy was lying.

Also, it looks like someone else has posted information about said Smash Demo on another forum. It's information that ErenJager has already posted but the fact that this other user has been a regular on the website where he posted this information seems to suggest that he was telling the truth (and therefore, the picture leak is fake and Palutena is indeed an Assist Trophy):

Here's a link to the thread in question: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Bros-Wii-U?p=25530369&viewfull=1#post25530369
Even if this is true, demos often obscure information. The Brawl demos at E For All created various rumors of Rosalina and Bowser Jr. Assist Trophies (which turned out to be Gardevoir and Knuckle Joe), while a Japan demo had a supposed Geno trophy found in Subspace. It's very much hearsay.

Furthermore, I just want to confirm that as a member of MMO-Champion for 5 years, it's not an incredibly credible site. There are no restrictions or punishments for making a fake leak, and in the 5 years I've been there we've only had one legit leak from an outside source afaik, that being for World of Warcraft, which was only recently. The Smash Bros thread is mainly occupied by the same people you'll meet around Youtube too. The coincidence is worth keeping an eye on, but I'm just saying that it's not something to get too worried about.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Something interesting to note, too: That user on the MMO site hasn't seemed to posted on the site for a good two months before posting that message. Before, he seemed to be a frequent poster.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

The difference between the two is that ErenJager claimed that he played the demo in Toronto (if I recall) and the recent leak claimed that he played his demo in Vancouver. Something still feels a bit fishy with what the two stated.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
The difference between the two is that ErenJager claimed that he played the demo in Toronto (if I recall) and the recent leak claimed that he played his demo in Vancouver. Something still feels a bit fishy with what the two stated.
The event was being held simultaneously at both locations last weekend.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
They brought this up in the Rumors and Leaks thread, but I'll say it again. One, why would there be a Smash demo in a DKC Tropical Freeze event? And 2, even if there was, Nintendo would of made a VERY big deal about it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I seriously doubt there was a demo for the game at some random event in Vancouver. The first playable demo is going to be at a major event where the press can cover it. How people fall for these is beyond me.

domriver

Smash Lord
I have to agree regarding the Demo and Palutena as an assist trophy. Nintendo would have made a big deal about a demo and not keep it a secret. Whats the gain for keeping it a secret disclosed location? I enjoy the pic leak with Palutena seems like the real deal. Also after that "pic leak" Sakurai launched about what 3-4 pictures all of them having something to do with Kid Icarus. The final pic being a statue of Palutena. IMO she will be a playable character. I don't see why not. She is an incredible candidate.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
  1. I hope you really aren't saying that Palutena is more important than Toad. I understand you're talking about series relevant, but it's easy to be more relevant to a series when it's so small. That's like saying the capital of Zimbabwe is more important than the capital of Pennsylvania, it's just because it's smaller. Rosalina is important, mind you, but not in the since of the series' secondary antagonist(Bowser Jr.), or on of the series' most long-lasting characters(Toad). I wouldn't put money on Mario Galaxy being the most popular Mario game, I'd say Mario Kart Wii, or the original Super Mario Bros. Wii Fit sold well, but that's like saying that we should put Nintendog in. Not enough uniqueness, just a bland character. And no, I wouldn't replace R.O.B. with Goku the Saiyan, but maybe Goku the Monkey.
  2. F-Zero is deserving of two characters, mostly because of it's importance as one of Nintendo's main series in the 64 and GC days. A classic series, sadly under-repped. It could easily be given a new one, whether it's Goroh, using a fast, samurai type of fighting style, Pico, a character who would be focused on using his shell and blaster, along with being in the army, which could serve as plenty of inspiration. Or Black Shadow, a pseudo-clone of Captain Falcon, freeing Ganondorf of his shackles to get a new moveset. Pikmin does have a good new rep, Drake's Crew. A trio of astronauts, Alph, Brittany and Charlie. Alph would be the all-around member, mixing throwing with hitting, Brittany being good at throwing Pikmin but a horrendous hitter, and Charlie being a good hitter, around the Pikmin-less strength of Link, but an awful thrower. They would only utilize rock and fairy Pikmin, rock being heavy and slow, while fairies are dainty but good at continuing hits. I don't think Punch-Out deserves a new character, that was just an example.
My opinion of Star Fox is that I dislike Falco's inclusion, and would've enjoyed having Fox and Wolf/Krystal instead. And that thread was an idea given to me indirectly by Mega Bidoof and I went through with it, not really liking the idea, but it's there. So, thanks for the feedback, I hope none of you were offended, and remember: it's pure speculation. None of us know what the future holds, so I wish all of you good luck with your character.
Palutena is more suggested than toad is, and Kid Icarus needs more representation as it is the only series in the opening cinematic trailer that doesn't have more than one representative. Toad is in Peaches moveset AND he is just a filler character in the mario series AND he lacks any personality depth. Sakurai doesn't give a **** about how many games a character has been in (ice climbers, G&W, ROB, etc) he cares about a character that would be unique, which palutena is, and you cant argue that as nobody else in smash has her great personality, her light magic, or her staff.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Palutena is more suggested than toad is, and Kid Icarus needs more representation as it is the only series in the opening cinematic trailer that doesn't have more than one representative. Toad is in Peaches moveset AND he is just a filler character in the mario series AND he lacks any personality depth. Sakurai doesn't give a **** about how many games a character has been in (ice climbers, G&W, ROB, etc) he cares about a character that would be unique, which palutena is, and you cant argue that as nobody else in smash has her great personality, her light magic, or her staff.
What does light magic do? Summon projectiles? Make a beam? Nothing we haven't seen before, in comparison to, say, Medusa turning enemies into stone, or Magnus summoning tornadoes. I do support the former(not the latter, though), mostly because she has more to work with in terms of "uniqueness", considering she also has a staff, and a transformation, and the ability to summon minions, and the aforementioned stone gaze, and the list goes on. Palutena's merits? Staff and light magic. It pales in comparison, and like I said in point 2(or one, haven't looked at it in a while), Sakurai doesn't always pick the most important characters, but the ones who have more to work with. But in the end, I feel as if a series needs five games before it gets a second rep, much less a third. Star Fox and Earthbound disappointed me, I could've gone without Falco and Lucas. Also, personalities don't translate well into a moveset, maybe taunts, but that's all. Facial expressions and quotes, but it's how the character plays and what they do different that really makes the character. Now, if you wish for a rebuttal, please do. But, and I will reiterate, I have no ill will against you or any of the characters you support. You should, however, take Ashley off of your list.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
What does light magic do? Summon projectiles? Make a beam? Nothing we haven't seen before, in comparison to, say, Medusa turning enemies into stone, or Magnus summoning tornadoes. I do support the former(not the latter, though), mostly because she has more to work with in terms of "uniqueness", considering she also has a staff, and a transformation, and the ability to summon minions, and the aforementioned stone gaze, and the list goes on. Palutena's merits? Staff and light magic. It pales in comparison, and like I said in point 2(or one, haven't looked at it in a while), Sakurai doesn't always pick the most important characters, but the ones who have more to work with. But in the end, I feel as if a series needs five games before it gets a second rep, much less a third. Star Fox and Earthbound disappointed me, I could've gone without Falco and Lucas. Also, personalities don't translate well into a moveset, maybe taunts, but that's all. Facial expressions and quotes, but it's how the character plays and what they do different that really makes the character. Now, if you wish for a rebuttal, please do. But, and I will reiterate, I have no ill will against you or any of the characters you support. You should, however, take Ashley off of your list.
I'm not impressed.

You first assume Sakurai could be more creative with Medusa or even Magnus than he would be with Palutena, when that's not really the issue here (and Magnus summoning tornadoes is enough to split him from Ike?). Did you anticipate Rosalina being a puppetmaster? Or actually play Palutena's fight in Chapter 20? Have you seen Palutena's Revolting Dinner? Anime or not, it shows that she's not limited to just light magic. Sakurai's got creativity up. It's a combination of factors that leads Palutena for her popularity, and saying "ONE REP ONLY UNLESS THEY HAVE MORE THAN FOUR GAMES" is kind of dumb for a single limiting factor. I can already see the potential of a projectile that fires more projectiles, depending on what they do.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But yeah, those demo rumors are most likely fake. The idea is just too absurd (Oh hey random guys we're gonna let you play our biggest game of the year at some small event hyuck!).

The only real reason I got somewhat concerned was just that other user posting something similar on the MMO forum, but that could of just been Erenwhatever, or someone who saw his post and decided to hijack it for fun.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna give my two cents on the Erenjager thing again. Because it keeps being brought up and keeps bothering me.

iamadamson seems to have a completely different tone to his information. He also doesn't have too many details, only talking about Mega Man's FS really.

Erenjager on the other hand, while saying pretty much the same thing, went into this whole backstory for it. In addition, he onyl seemed to mention Palutena as an assist in passing, and it was one of the only bits of new information he got. That, and his story about it has changed twice. Once, he heard from "a few people" and then it was just "some guy."

That, and even at legitimate demos, we've had incorrect assistr trophy claims before. I remember one from the first Brawl demo in Japan that had Tails as an assist that would save you when you fell. There's just too much wrong with this. Iamadamson doesn't mention it, and I don't buy it.

Especially since ErenJager just brought up Palutena out of the blue, and has gone to lengths before to disconfirm Palutena, and his reasoning (recent reasoning I might add) is that the leak images are fake because rope. We've already covered that in the leak thread and dismissed it. if I had gone to an event and seen how assist trophies worked, I would've brought that up as a means to disprove something.

That, and it just doesn't make any sense for Palutena to be the KI Assist. In a series that is now known for its incredible cast of characters, giving the Deuteragonist that role is just stupid. Viridi is a stage element, so I don't see Sakurai doing that to Palutena, but Assist trophy, when it could be Medusa, Hades, Arlon, Pandora, hell, even Pyrrhon is just incredibly stupid.

That's one of the main reasons I just can't believe it, (other than there being no evidence for it, save some person who obviously doesn't like Palutena) and the other is that I expect Sakurai to use every single one of the characters he created and fleshed out in Uprising somehow.

Just really pisses me off.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I don't actually expect Ashley (or especially daisy for that matter) to get in ssb. They are simply there because I like them. I see them being nothing more than assist trophies. I would go on to argue about Palutena, but this is a support thread. If you don't support palutena I don't see why you'd be here.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I don't actually expect Ashley (or especially daisy for that matter) to get in ssb. They are simply there because I like them. I see them being nothing more than assist trophies. I would go on to argue about Palutena, but this is a support thread. If you don't support palutena I don't see why you'd be here.
Share the knowledge and give this thread life after the leak died down, honestly. This place got boring fast.

Top Bottom