• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
oh
SWEET
MOTHER
OF
HADES

FINALLY INFORMATION
yes I know I'm kind of late to the party.

I'm cool with the defaults, assuming that the ones with a 1 are the default ones. It seems like a combination that lends itself to zoning and defensive gameplay and I'm totally cool with that. The only one I'm not a fan of is counter since it's so generic (so many characters in this game have a counter) but since it can coexist with reflect I can deal with it.

If customizable movesets are welcomed in the meta, however, I'll probably go with
Explosive Flame
Reflect
Jump Glide
Celestial Fireworks

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with everything, although I do wish counter was either of the other specials, simply because so many others have a counter. I also wish Heavenly Light was a default special, but I do think that Auto-Reticle is a better choice than it, competitively - I just didn't think Auto would be a neutral special.

I like warp, though, since I've always loved warp moves and hers seems fairly quick and versatile - and Reflect Barrier may just be one of the coolest specials I've ever seen, so I'm very glad that's part of her default.

This is all assuming, however, that the 1's are her defaults, and not just special moves placed in a random order to show that there's 3 of them.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Thank you sadly you are too late mate we have been talking about these the whole day a bit of research on the last 2 pages could have help you release that, welcome anyway

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Customs have to be part of the tourney, especially when it comes to Palutena, as that's part of her unique gimmick. Besides, she'd be much more entertaining when there's different players using different custom specials for her, opening more potential and variety of styles compared to other characters.
But like I said, I need my Autoreticle and Reflect Barrier first, though I'm looking forward to trying different combinations to keep players guessing on what set I'm using. Hopefully there will be some players with the JP version so I can gather more data.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Customs have to be part of the tourney, especially when it comes to Palutena, as that's part of her unique gimmick. Besides, she'd be much more entertaining when there's different players using different custom specials for her, opening more potential and variety of styles compared to other characters.
But like I said, I need my Autoreticle and Reflect Barrier first, though I'm looking forward to trying different combinations to keep players guessing on what set I'm using. Hopefully there will be some players with the JP version so I can gather more data.
Actually, I am getting the Japanese 3DS version because I just so happen to have a Japanese 3DS. If no one else does it before me, than I will be more than glad to share with you guys info about the game.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4...eptember-13th-ft-relaxalax-as-co-host.363585/

There's definitely ways to obtain data from the Japanese release.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Thank you sadly you are too late mate we have been talking about these the whole day a bit of research on the last 2 pages could have help you release that, welcome anyway
So far based off of what I'm looking at, it appears that the specials with the (1) next to it seems to be her default. However, I'm not so sure about that. For her neutral special, Sakurai did go into detail about Heavenly Light, and he typically doesn't spend much time talking about custom moves. For the most part, he talks about the defaults more. Plus, in one of the Pictures on the Smash website, you could see Kirby with Palutena's hair, and staff. Both looked to be using Heavenly Light. Plus, I've seen more Pictures with Palutena using Heavenly Light. It would be kind of odd if that was not her default.

All in all, (assuming that I am right about this) I think her default will be the following:

Neutral B: Heavenly Light

Side B: Reflect Barrier

Up B: Jump Glide

Down B: Light Weight

I could be completely wrong, but it is just my theory.
And if it is not her default, than this will be my custom layout.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Honestly hope that Warp auto snaps her to the ledge with Zelda's Farore's wind being able to do it this time around.. but still going to be using jump glide..

Celestial Fireworks seems to be the best down special. being invulnerable for a brief time is going to be a good spacer against grounded approaches if timed correctly. Very much like to see how this special is used in the air.. light weight got nerfed too heavily and counter is meh

Side special hmm I'm stuck between Barrier and Super Speed.. I'll need more data to pick which one.. if super speed ignores falling imo it'll outclass angelic missile if it doesn't then i'll be going with Barrier..

neutral.. Auto ridicule, and explosive flame still seems like the better Neutral specials so far.. (only because we don't know how long it takes for Palutena to move again..) though still don't know the max range of both moves.. this will determine which one i will use..

Just wanted to share my few cents with the "new" information about her specials..

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Honestly hope that Warp auto snaps her to the ledge with Zelda's Farore's wind being able to do it this time around.. but still going to be using jump glide..

Celestial Fireworks seems to be the best down special. being invulnerable for a brief time is going to be a good spacer against grounded approaches if timed correctly. Very much like to see how this special is used in the air.. light weight got nerfed too heavily and counter is meh

Side special hmm I'm stuck between Barrier and Super Speed.. I'll need more data to pick which one.. if super speed ignores falling imo it'll outclass angelic missile if it doesn't then i'll be going with Barrier..

neutral.. Auto ridicule, and explosive flame still seems like the better Neutral specials so far.. (only because we don't know how long it takes for Palutena to move again..) though still don't know the max range of both moves.. this will determine which one i will use..

Just wanted to share my few cents with the "new" information about her specials..
I'm confident Warp will do the same, but of course I will be using Jump Glide most as well.

While I'm not in favor in Counter, it may be useful against certain aggressive characters, but I'll likely use Fireworks more anyways.
Lightweight didn't get nerfed really. It's simply a well-known tradeoff in Kid Icarus Uprising, where said power gives speed at the cost of taking more damage and getting knocked back further than usual. In Smash physics, it seems to be the same thing.

Autoreticle is good, Explosive Flame is potentially good spacing tool that can punish spot dodgers in the blast if I'm right, and Heavenly Light has its benefits depending on the stage. It's more of depending on how long it takes for someone to get to her, so the slower ones will have hard times, especially if the stage has quite the obstacles.
But it's nice to see others like some of her moves.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'm confident Warp will do the same, but of course I will be using Jump Glide most as well.

While I'm not in favor in Counter, it may be useful against certain aggressive characters, but I'll likely use Fireworks more anyways.
Lightweight didn't get nerfed really. It's simply a well-known tradeoff in Kid Icarus Uprising, where said power gives speed at the cost of taking more damage and getting knocked back further than usual. In Smash physics, it seems to be the same thing.

Autoreticle is good, Explosive Flame is potentially good spacing tool that can punish spot dodgers in the blast if I'm right, and Heavenly Light has its benefits depending on the stage. It's more of depending on how long it takes for someone to get to her, so the slower ones will have hard times, especially if the stage has quite the obstacles.
But it's nice to see others like some of her moves.
I see.. haven't played KI:U yet because of not having enough money and having too many games on my want list. I'll have to get it at some point though. I'm probably not going to use Light Weight mainly because i don't like taking risks that much..

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
With Palutena's up smash, I'm considering using Heavenly Light if it does enough damage.

And counter and reflect (can't believe that reflect is a side special and not a down special!) to be an unkillable demon king

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
With Palutena's up smash, I'm considering using Heavenly Light if it does enough damage.

And counter and reflect (can't believe that reflect is a side special and not a down special!) to be an unkillable demon king
I was sure Reflect was a down special too, but I think this actually makes more sense.

The biggest difference between this and other reflectors is that it only sends out the barrier on one side of Palutena, and to react quickly to a projectile, I guess it makes the most sense to push the stick in the direction you want to place the barrier and hit B. As a down special you'd have to turn around and then move the stick down before hitting B if you want to use Reflect in the direction opposite the one you're currently facing. Side special should just be easier to use.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm going to use teleport, lighten, super dash, and explosive flame.

I can't control it. DARK PHOENIX PALUTENA RISES!!!

Last edited:

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
If I had to pick my "default" for Palutena, I'd probably go for Explosive Flame, Reflect, Celestial Fireworks, and Jump Glide. Though for certain matchups I'd probably change that around a bit; for example vs Marth, maybe Reflect isn't as useful and I go for Angelic Missile instead. Also Counter might be more helpful against someone with no projectiles, so put that over Celestial Fireworks.

Of course this is mostly speculation at this point, but those are my first impressions.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am starting to appreciate the idea of Tuna having Reflect and Counter in her default moveset. A well played Tuna will be hard to kill.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Personally, I want my "go to" moveset to be viable against every character on the roster. The reflector will be useful for sure, but it's a bit circumstantial for my liking. Though I am certain that any number of special combinations, including the default, will be lethal in the right hands.

I really love how Palutena caters to pretty much every kind of play style lol. I'm going for the "fragile speedster" route. I want my offense and defense to revolve around maneuverability.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I like controlling space and forcing the opponent to make mistakes. Auto-reticle/explosive flame, reflect, and warp are the ones I know for sure I'll abuse for my purposes

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I'm definitely going to have light weight in my moveset. I'm pretty good with both an offensive and defensive play style, so as long as I make sure I don't get hit, I'll be fine. And now that I really thought about it, auto reticle will be a pretty good offensive neutral, and has high combo potential. I'm very good with teleporting characters, so I think I will also use teleport as well. To be honest, I was going to use teleport as a special anyway. And lastly, I think I will also use reflect. Got to have some defensive abilities. To be honest, now I'm more hype to play as Palutena. Because not only does she have 12 unique specials that offers different play styles, but her default (assuming it is the ones with the (1) next to them) offer a nice defensive play style. That, and the offensive play style that comes from her smash attacks will make a strong combination. Can't wait to play as her. September 13th is not that far from here! Hopefully I will be able to play it on the 12th (that is if Nintendo in Japan decide to have a midnight launch on the Japanese E-Shop.)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hope you'll be able to provide some Palutena data as well. While I do have to wait til October, early data can make a difference.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Every time I see the Japanese release date a little bit of me dies.

If I had more economic stability I would probably have already bought an imported 3DS. As it is I really have to fight the temptation.

So do you think that custom movesets will be allowed competitively?
This is a fantastic question. I think at first people will hesitate to do so due to the Melee and Brawl legacy, but over time I believe the customizable movesets add a layer to the metagame that could make things interesting.

A way I see it is that the smash metagame is like if in the pokemon metagame everyone used rental pokemon. Customized movesets in Smash could make it closer to the actual pokemon metagame where another aspect to keep in mind if how you use your moves, how you choose them, how you combine them, and what characters in specific you have in mind when selecting those moves.

Of course, the difference is that in a pokemon match you can switch out to counter bad moveset match-ups. So it's really up to time to see if smash players embrace customizable movesets and how they'd be regulated to prevent extremely one-sided matches.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hope you'll be able to provide some Palutena data as well. While I do have to wait til October, early data can make a difference.
I definitely will. I will just mentioned as a spoiled post. I don't want to upset anyone who wants surprises.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I want them to be usable. It seems rather pointless just to have a part of the character not being used.. I'd rather face characters at their full potential. They should only be banned if they give the character an unfair advantage but only that specific move..

Burigu

Smash Ace
I agree there is no reason to believe the ban of customs equals to screwed, this can be said about any character, maybe with the right customs Link would be unstopable but crappy with his standards (just an example), the same can be said about Palutena or about any other character.

Specials are important I agree in the end they are just 4 moves, a character being good or bad is a combination of different factors: standards, specials, power, speed, combos, hitboxes. Characters considered "bad" fail on a number of different factors.

Even then saying Palutena is screwed based on the ban of customs specials is beyond believable with any given reason or evidence to back up, or even a good answer to start with.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I agree there is no reason to believe the ban of customs equals to screwed, this can be said about any character, maybe with the right customs Link would be unstopable but crappy with his standards (just an example), the same can be said about Palutena or about any other character.

Specials are important I agree in the end they are just 4 moves, a character being good or bad is a combination of different factors: standards, specials, power, speed, combos, hitboxes. Characters considered "bad" fail on a number of different factors.

Even then saying Palutena is screwed based on the ban of customs specials is beyond believable with any given reason or evidence to back up, or even a good reason to start with.
Couldn't have said it better.

TheLPGamerify

Smash Rookie

Even then saying Palutena is screwed based on the ban of customs specials is beyond believable with any given reason or evidence to back up, or even a good reason to start with.

Agreed. Honestly I think banning custom moves wouldn't be as entertaining if they weren't legal, at least in my opinion. I think Palutena along with everyone else will give us new ways to play the game, and we should have the ability to use it to our advantage.

We shouldn't be so close-minded with this new feature since this is a huge part of the game. If characters like the Miis and Palutena are banned because they're fully customizable, I will be sorely disappointed.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Agreed. Honestly I think banning custom moves wouldn't be as entertaining if they weren't legal, at least in my opinion. I think Palutena along with everyone else will give us new ways to play the game, and we should have the ability to use it to our advantage.

We shouldn't be so close-minded with this new feature since this is a huge part of the game. If characters like the Miis and Palutena are banned because they're fully customizable, I will be sorely disappointed.
Nice opening post! Welcome to the forums!

Burigu

Smash Ace

Welcome aboard! Well I can guarantee you that Palutena won't be banned, she will be limited to her Standard Specials like the rest of the characters, the Miis are confirmed banned at least in wifi, not sure about their situation on tournaments.

I agree that customs are new and refreshing ways to play a character if characters are balanced enough maybe people will not resort to baning custom specials, but banning isn't always that bad, I can't talk about Meta Knight since I never saw his brokeness in action but in Pokemon, banning overpowered pokemon contribute to a more enjoyable metagame. It is unfunny when someone challenge you and his team is full of uber legends, I often manage to win anyways because of the lack of skill on the other site, but still complicates the fight.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Welcome aboard! Well I can guarantee you that Palutena won't be banned, she will be limited to her Standard Specials like the rest of the characters, the Miis are confirmed banned at least in wifi, not sure about their situation on tournaments.

I agree that customs are new and refreshing ways to play a character if characters are balanced enough maybe people will not resort to baning custom specials, but banning isn't always that bad, I can't talk about Meta Knight since I never saw his brokeness in action but in Pokemon, banning overpowered pokemon contribute to a more enjoyable metagame. It is unfunny when someone challenge you and his team is full of uber legends, I often manage to win anyways because of the lack of skill on the other site, but still complicates the fight.
Yeah, it would really be really disappointing if they didn't have custom tournaments. Would kind of defeat the point of Sakurai making them. I think there should be two Smash 4 tournaments. One with regular moves, and the other with custom. That way everyone wins.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I definitely will. I will just mentioned as a spoiled post. I don't want to upset anyone who wants surprises.
You can also PM me some data. I've been after a lot more data for my benefits. Plus I need to see Gold Palutena. D:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
You can also PM me some data. I've been after a lot more data for my benefits. Plus I need to see Gold Palutena. D:
Wow! I'd love a Gold costume for Palutena (my favorite colors are gold, silver, black and white). I like dark themes too... Maybe something similar to Zelda's in Brawl for Palutena?. I'd love to play a black dress-white hair Palutena xD

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Every time I see the Japanese release date a little bit of me dies.

If I had more economic stability I would probably have already bought an imported 3DS. As it is I really have to fight the temptation.

This is a fantastic question. I think at first people will hesitate to do so due to the Melee and Brawl legacy, but over time I believe the customizable movesets add a layer to the metagame that could make things interesting.

A way I see it is that the smash metagame is like if in the pokemon metagame everyone used rental pokemon. Customized movesets in Smash could make it closer to the actual pokemon metagame where another aspect to keep in mind if how you use your moves, how you choose them, how you combine them, and what characters in specific you have in mind when selecting those moves.

Of course, the difference is that in a pokemon match you can switch out to counter bad moveset match-ups. So it's really up to time to see if smash players embrace customizable movesets and how they'd be regulated to prevent extremely one-sided matches.
I think it'd just have to be matter of each player picking a moveset, and then maybe allow other changes... e.g. loser of previous round changes character if wanted and custom moves, winner does the same, then loser may finally respond by changing custom moves of his already chosen character.

Top Bottom