• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
At last, the Famitsu information on Palutena has been released, and translated for your convenience.

Edit - Also, the special names are literal translations compared to the ones used in the trailer. The specials have not been renamed or anything.
Is it just me, or does she look far more expressive in these screenshots compared to her announcement trailer? Impressed. Thank you for sharing this!!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If the (1)s are her default moves, then her default moveset is terribly boring.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So what are you guys gonna make your custom moveset?

I'm undecided on the neutral special, but it'll probably be Heavenly Light. Reflect for side special, Jump Glide for up special and Celestial Firework for down special.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Eh, if her Attack (1) are her standard set, I'm not really in favor for it. She has counter and Reflect. Reflect could do well in edge guarding, but I'm not sure.
I doubt it's her standard set, I'm pretty sure Heavenly Light is her standard neutral b, since Sakurai already talked about it. If that's the case, they may have just listed the moves in random orders. Maybe not, though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Custom moveset?

Neutral - Either Explosive Flamer or Heavenly Light
Side - Reflect Barrier
Down - Fireworks
Up - Jump Glide

I don't even know anymore.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Granted there could be some errors in translation, but am getting the feeling that based on these moves Palutena will be a slower than average character (definitely a slow walk speed) with under average jumping abilities.

Auto Reticle sounds a lot like the Mega Buster; would guess it similar in concept just that it trades homing for range and flinching/damage for mobility/lag.

Reflect Barrier is definitely going to be a powerful spacing tool. It honestly sounds like Falco's Reflector just with greater range and a pushing effect (probably more ending lag, but it seems to more than compensate for that). This is almost positively going to be Palutena's bread n' butter for edge guarding.

Warp sounds like it is. Would guess it'll be a mix between Farore's Wind and Teleport. Counter sounds like it is as well.

Would guess she'll be a beast with custom moves on. It's amazing she has all those mobility options, with several she can attack out of. Fireworks also sounds great, but it can probably only be done on stage unlike Olimar's Whistle.

andimidna

Smash Master
I just realized something. Palutena looks to be the type of character where you fight from a distance and keep opponents in a certain place. I'm pretty sure it's called a ranger or a zoner. @ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon , can you post your list please?

Her thing is ranged attacks. Even if they aren't powerful, her attacks revolve around far range with the exceptions being Counter, Celestial Fireworks, and Reflect. We saw that up tilt. And Heavenly Light. Just think about it. Auto-Reticle, Explosive Flame, Angelic Missile... there all attacks done from a distance. And her recoveries are the same. Jump Glide can get her anywhere, Rocket Jump pushes far, and Warp may get some distance but we say it from an angle so who knows?
Now how will these all be useful? Well, ones you hit your opponent with some of these ranged attacks to build up percentage, there's an easy escape route. Sure there's Jump Glide, but how about you hit them again? Use Super Speed or Lightweight! This is what makes her the type of character that wants her opponent in a certain place. She can use Heavenly Light to give some damage, then as the foe approaches she uses Explosive Flame- either it's a hit and they're pushed back or it misses, doesn't matter- she uses her Super Speed and is on the opposite side of the stage, ready to try again. Or if she has one of the other side specials, it would have been a hit for sure unless they dodged, and if they do, not only does she have recoveries to shake them off and escape, she has explosive fireworks to hold them in place, the perfect finish to a character that wants her opponent in a certain spot. Or even a counter to keep offensive characters from attacking carelessly (AKA being 100% offensive- same goes for everybody with a counter). There will be many amazing combinations that will be found for Palutena once the game is out for a few months, I can already see it, and they might be based off this concept.

Since her close-up game looks powerful (those Smashes), I'd go with Auto-Reticle as her Side Special (for now). It's a weaker attack but it will build up percentage. Which might make Heavenly Light unnecessary, but who knows. I'd have her down special be Celestial Fireworks since a Counter being used at the wrong time can be unforgivable, and Reflect seems unnecessary when you can just dodge. Also, it looks to be a perfect set-up for a combo- like her Up Smash, which looks pretty powerful. Next there's the Neutral Special. I think I'd chose one that has her speed forward for the tactic listed in my essay above. I don't know the difference between the two but I have a feeling that Super Speed will be more attack-based, and Lightweight will be focused on higher speed- similar to common custom moves. Super Speed caught my eyes particularly but either is just as good until we get our hands on the game. Now, the recovery. Vertical recoveries aren't that good, so I don't think I'll be choosing Rocket Jump, you're probably stuck in the air afterwords and can't attack until you're back on the ground, meh. The choices are Jump Glide and Warp. Jump Glide looks to be a quick long ranged recovery that can move very far very fast... except downward, leaving her open to an attack as she moves back to the stage, hopefully she can move side-to-side fast enough to avoid this. It's basically Peach's Parasol 2.0, but goes farther, quicker, doesn't attack, and we don't know if you can fall quicker by pressing down. Warp is just Zelda's Warp 1.0 for all we know, we can't see any differences from what was shown. So the choice will likely be based off one thing. How light/heavy is Palutena?! Think about it, if she's easy to knock-back, you're going to want the Glide, but if she can shrug off the attacks and stay on the stage, Warp will only make it easier for the strategy above. Plus it can be used as an attack, but not a great one. Still, admire the small amount of lag after it in her trailer. Pretty great, huh? Not Lucina great, but still great. Although it would be cool to see a heavy character with an amazing recovery like Jump Glide. From what we've seen she looks... hmmm.... mid-light?

That is my Palutena moveset-type analysis. Can't wait to play as her!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just realized something. Palutena looks to be the type of character where you fight from a distance and keep opponents in a certain place. I'm pretty sure it's called a ranger or a zoner. @ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon , can you post your list please?

Her thing is ranged attacks. Even if they aren't powerful, her attacks revolve around far range with the exceptions being Counter, Celestial Fireworks, and Reflect. We saw that up tilt. And Heavenly Light. Just think about it. Auto-Reticle, Explosive Flame, Angelic Missile... there all attacks done from a distance. And her recoveries are the same. Jump Glide can get her anywhere, Rocket Jump pushes far, and Warp may get some distance but we say it from an angle so who knows?
Now how will these all be useful? Well, ones you hit your opponent with some of these ranged attacks to build up percentage, there's an easy escape route. Sure there's Jump Glide, but how about you hit them again? Use Super Speed or Lightweight! This is what makes her the type of character that wants her opponent in a certain place. She can use Heavenly Light to give some damage, then as the foe approaches she uses Explosive Flame- either it's a hit and they're pushed back or it misses, doesn't matter- she uses her Super Speed and is on the opposite side of the stage, ready to try again. Or if she has one of the other side specials, it would have been a hit for sure unless they dodged, and if they do, not only does she have recoveries to shake them off and escape, she has explosive fireworks to hold them in place, the perfect finish to a character that wants her opponent in a certain spot. Or even a counter to keep offensive characters from attacking carelessly (AKA being 100% offensive- same goes for everybody with a counter). There will be many amazing combinations that will be found for Palutena once the game is out for a few months, I can already see it, and they might be based off this concept.

Since her close-up game looks powerful (those Smashes), I'd go with Auto-Reticle as her Side Special (for now). It's a weaker attack but it will build up percentage. Which might make Heavenly Light unnecessary, but who knows. I'd have her down special be Celestial Fireworks since a Counter being used at the wrong time can be unforgivable, and Reflect seems unnecessary when you can just dodge. Also, it looks to be a perfect set-up for a combo- like her Up Smash, which looks pretty powerful. Next there's the Neutral Special. I think I'd chose one that has her speed forward for the tactic listed in my essay above. I don't know the difference between the two but I have a feeling that Super Speed will be more attack-based, and Lightweight will be focused on higher speed- similar to common custom moves. Super Speed caught my eyes particularly but either is just as good until we get our hands on the game. Now, the recovery. Vertical recoveries aren't that good, so I don't think I'll be choosing Rocket Jump, you're probably stuck in the air afterwords and can't attack until you're back on the ground, meh. The choices are Jump Glide and Warp. Jump Glide looks to be a quick long ranged recovery that can move very far very fast... except downward, leaving her open to an attack as she moves back to the stage, hopefully she can move side-to-side fast enough to avoid this. It's basically Peach's Parasol 2.0, but goes farther, quicker, doesn't attack, and we don't know if you can fall quicker by pressing down. Warp is just Zelda's Warp 1.0 for all we know, we can't see any differences from what was shown. So the choice will likely be based off one thing. How light/heavy is Palutena?! Think about it, if she's easy to knock-back, you're going to want the Glide, but if she can shrug off the attacks and stay on the stage, Warp will only make it easier for the strategy above. Plus it can be used as an attack, but not a great one. Still, admire the small amount of lag after it in her trailer. Pretty great, huh? Not Lucina great, but still great. Although it would be cool to see a heavy character with an amazing recovery like Jump Glide. From what we've seen she looks... hmmm.... mid-light?

That is my Palutena moveset-type analysis. Can't wait to play as her!
Sure, here you go:

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I can't really decide which moves to choose, they all look good in their own right. It will be a lot of fun experimenting what combination of moves are the best, probably one of the reasons I'm looking forward to her.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sure, here you go:

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Thanks!

Wait. I see people talking about Famitsu scans...
Oh... they finally revealed news about her moveset?
Huh... so that's where her specials are linked to.
Crap. Well part of the giant post I just finished is outdated but she's still a Ranger/Zoner!

Question: Did they change her reflect to push forward, or is it just worded oddly. Because it sounds like it might move now... and it looks noticeably far in front of her for a shield move.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Thanks!

Wait. I see people talking about Famitsu scans...
Oh... they finally revealed news about her moveset?
Huh... so that's where her specials are linked to.
Crap. Well part of the giant post I just finished is outdated but she's still a Ranger/Zoner!

Question: Did they change her reflect to push forward, or is it just worded oddly. Because it sounds like it might move now... and it looks noticeably far in front of her for a shield move.
The way it seems to me is that it works like Isaac did as an AT but has a reflective property.

Hong

The Strongest
It progressively moves forward after you conjure it.

andimidna

Smash Master
The way it seems to me is that it works like Isaac did as an AT but has a reflective property.
It progressively moves forward after you conjure it.
That sounds pretty awesome!
I'd love to see it...
nintendo pls i need moer

I just hope you can cancel it quickly, so that if it misses, or if someone recovers and jumps over it, you don't let them get a free hit.
Huh. I wonder if it holds Palutena in place or not.
Maybe she'd make it appear and it would move forward as she goes and does something else, possibly only keeping her from using that same move again until it disappears.
Or maybe she just stands there as it pushes forward....
Interesting...

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
At last, the Famitsu information on Palutena has been released, and translated for your convenience.

Edit - Also, the special names are literal translations compared to the ones used in the trailer. The specials have not been renamed or anything.
Now THAT right there is the data I love to see. Not only has it told us a bit more about the moves, it partially confirms her customs if I'm right.

Neutral B: Autoreticle
Side-B: Reflect Barrier
Up-B: Warp
Down-B: Counter

So I pretty much am okay with this being default. I mean I still have a projectile and a reflector. I also have Counter to increase my defenses and Warp can also be used to avoid attacks. Granted, I would have preferred Jump Glide and Celestial Firework over the last 2 respectively, but at least I got the 2 more important moves I wanted in it.

So let's break down the moves and all.

Neutral B
-Autoreticle (default): We know it shoots 3 projectiles, but now it auto-targets the opponent in front of her. Seems great when the enemy is either using a laggy move or when he/she has to recover in Paluten's direction horizontally.
-Explosive Flame: Small area denial it seems. It could put the hurting on spot dodgers it looks like if it can also pierce through or badly damage shields.
-Heavenly Light: The amazing long-ranged move that doesn't make opponents flinch. Now we know that we can increase the move's duration by constantly pressing B, like Pit's Angel Ring in Brawl.

Side B
-Reflect Barrier (default): Simply a reflector that also pushes opponents on contact as it moves forward. We pretty much know all of this from the trailer.
-Angelic Missile: A powerful spinning headbutt move. We can assume Palutena will be vulnerable if she misses.
-Super Speed: We know that she can damage players that she rams into with it, but now we know that she can use dash attack and jump during the move as well.

Down B
-Counter (default): Another typical counter move, but she's using her shield for it.
-Lightweight: Improves her speed, but takes more damage and gets knocked back further than usual if she gets hit.
-Celestial Firework: Does damage and definitely gives her invincibility frames like it does for Pit in Uprising.

Up B
-Warp (default): Can be used as a recovery, mobility, or to avoid attacks, a faster non-damaging Farore's Wind if you will.
-Jump Glide: Jumps first and then glides. We now know that she change directions, and even attack during the move as well, making her less vulnerable than some of us thought.
-Rocket Jump: Small height for a recovery, but also very powerful.

Also, even her default specials have done something. Palutena is the first character to have a projectile, reflector, and a counter move of the sorts. Now that's great defenses.
Plus we seen her a bit more expressive in the new snapshots, even if it's her eyes closed to show off her grace more. I approve of all this data.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So...

Defaults are Auto-Reticle (I love this.), Warp, Reflect Barrier (Obviously, it was in the trailer.) and...Counter?

C"mon, Sakurai. She's got 3 down-specials to choose from, and you gave her Counter for default, when at least three of the other new characters already had a down-b counter, in addition to Marth/Ike still having theirs.

C'mon, man...

Otherwise, these are perfectly fine and I look forward to them!

Last edited:

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
i'm very happy with the defualt moveset plautena has it gives her good options while not making her to defenceless or Broken
lthere is alot of versatiliy i can see with this moveset
when i'm playing with my friends i'll experement with the other Custom moves to see what wonderful combinations i can make
and its nice seeing she has gotten more expressive in these pictrues i was worried she would be stuck with netrual face syndrom

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm kind of disappointed that you can't use custom moves on With Anyone mode, now I'll potentially have to learn two separate movesets for a single character, oh well. Her default does look pretty good though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm so glad they went with Auto-Reticle. Like honestly, that one is super-awesome to me. Heavenly Light was cool too though.

The other moves seem good, but I'm just not sold on her having a Counter. (As a default) Maybe it'll help her when people get close, based on this moveset, but I feel like Reflect Barrier + Warp would provide good opportunity to escape.

Oh well, may as well get used to it and start to learn to love it come October! (At least we presumably get to hear her yell "Counter!")

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Autoreticle, Angelic Missile, Lightweight/Celestial Missile, & Warp custom build = GG no RE

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Aww. Her default is kinda bad/average. Auto reticle is good. I don't know why they'd use Zelda's shameful recovery and give it to Palutena though. Hopefully its not that bad. Jump glide seems better. But there may not be much difference. Reflect? it can be a decent edge guarding tool. That's probably the best side special available. Counter though? I don't know why they'd give such a bland move as default. I almost never get hit by counters. They just leave the opponent open... kind of a waste. Lightweight would have been much better. Maybe lightweight gives her better air mobility as well. + combos.

Auto Reticle
Reflect
Teleport
Counter

I'd change it to

Auto Reticle
Reflect
Jump Glide
Lightweight.

3 1/2 out of 4 isn't too bad though. There won't be much difference when I'm playing her for glory and locally.

I say 3 1/2 because everyones recovery is decent. A super horizontal recovery probably isn't necessary. Teleport is sufficient enough.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Her default special set set makes me think of Mario and Zelda crossing into one (with pointlessly ANOTHER COUNTER throw in.)
But by all this, she seems very, very defensive character? I would have preferred Jump Glide and Super Speed as well, and anything to take out another Counter-move... *sigh*

Also lol on FS description. Silly Famitsu, you should be knowing better by now.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Now that's what I'm talking about, it's great to see a whole load of new information. All the assignments are just what you'd expect. I'm really interested to so how each special stacks up against its two counterparts; I'm going to have a whole load of fun mixing them around. Celestial Firework has some invulnerability to it, that's fantastic. :laugh:

Oh, and I also hope we can get these pics online in full resolution soon, that'd be sweet.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm quite interested on Super Speed, it seems a potent for follow-ups - I'm reminded of Pit's Pegasus Wings from PM a bit. Jump Glide I would have preferred as well for Warp.

I might go with this set:

B: Auto-Reticle
Side B: Super Speed
Up B: Jump Glide
Down B: Celestial Fireworks or Counter

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Whatever it is, I needs my Auto Reticle and Reflect Barrier at least. Having a projectile and reflector was also why I loved Pit, so I'm likely be able to get used to Palutena quickly with the defensive/versatile capabilities; just think of her as slower overall (not counting her 2 speed specials).

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Well this one is the best for her in 1vs1, at least imo.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If Autoreticle, Reflect Barrier, and Counter are really part of the default (I doubt the Counter one sometimes), I can already see her good against characters like Mac.
The next step is more footage of her in action. There's still some of her standard moves we don't know about.

andimidna

Smash Master
Now that I think about it. It's possible that numbers were only put there to show where each move went on those scattered scans. It could have just been trying to show how there's 3 per special, not in any particular order, and not showing which are default.

If they knew her default, wouldn't that be worth at least mentioning?

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That is a good point, but I still want my Autoreticle and Reflect Barrier. I can hopefully adapt to the rest quickly after that.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Counter is a default move? ugh I can never use counters reliably. At least I got reflect on the default moveset. Auto-Ret and Teleport don't look too bad so I can work with this. I'll probably use Heavenly Light and Celestial Fireworks offline though. I knew I saw invincibility frames when she used fireworks in the trailer and I'm so glad that effect carried over from Uprising.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it. It's possible that numbers were only put there to show where each move went on those scattered scans. It could have just been trying to show how there's 3 per special, not in any particular order, and not showing which are default.

If they knew her default, wouldn't that be worth at least mentioning?
That's a good point. I guess we won't know until it specifically states it somewhere or Sakurai eventually covers the topic again.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Mmmm again I am late to the party, honestly if those are her standards or not I don't care, if they are well is a good selection would have prefered Jump Glide over Warp and Lightweight over counter, but I don't mind. I will treat these as her standard specials until proven untrue.

I don't fell dissapointed by her theorised specials since I was plannig in mastering Palutena in both her standard set and in my custom set, more fun with the character, so I am actually happy, I will adapt to anything Sakurai decidde to give her either if these are the ones or not.

Reflect seems really useful pushing enemies back, I think you can combo it well with her side shield attack.

Hope people stop complaining about not liking her because of the lack of info

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm disappointed that her default movesets are Teleport and Counter. Those two I didn't want to be default considering I would have preferred Jump Glide and Fireworks respectively.

Really hoping custom movesets aren't entirely banned at local tournaments...

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm disappointed that her default movesets are Teleport and Counter. Those two I didn't want to be default considering I would have preferred Jump Glide and Fireworks respectively.

Really hoping custom movesets aren't entirely banned at local tournaments...
We don't know if those are her defaults yet.

Top Bottom