• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
At this point he's probably gonna be low on the tier list.
With all of that super armor, fast run speed, projectile ignoring forward special, counter, and the one-hit KO punch? Doubt it. He's gonna be somewhere in between top and high-mid tier, easy. I'm willing to bet on it.

Anyways, I really like this new info. It's pretty cool how Little Mac has all of these different options. He's gonna be an absolute beast on the ground.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Welp! Looks like I was wrong! This is why I don't guess things!

I'm looking at your sig... do the ghosts really look like that now?? Dafuq happened to Inky and Blinky?
Yeah, that's what they look like in the new show. I kinda like them that way. They look more unique now. :)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Diagonal inputs are now viable for more things than F- tilt / Smash angle variations. This has been around since Smash existed, but the first time it has a fleshed out use for attacks.
I mean, programming wise the angled variants are different moves, just very similar moves. I imagine that in terms of how the game is built that this is the same so really it's not something new though I suppose from a user-experience perspective and not a technical mechanical perspective this is something fairly new. This is a cool update for sure.

Also, in terms of tiers, recovery ability has always been the most overrated character parameter. Think about Melee here. Fox and Falco were both top tier. Both were similarly effective on-stage, Fox probably being a small bit better though it's close. Falco's recovery was a lot worse than Fox's; his higher fall speed was actually a big problem, and his up special went nowhere near as far. How much worse overall was Falco than Fox? It wasn't very much. Recovery is nice, but the ability to perform well in the neutral game and to extract a high price from the opponent for each neutral victory both are a lot more important and both areas that so far it looks like Little Mac is naturally very strong in.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
With all of that super armor, fast run speed, projectile ignoring forward special, counter, and the one-hit KO punch? Doubt it. He's gonna be somewhere in between top and high-mid tier, easy. I'm willing to bet on it.

Anyways, I really like this new info. It's pretty cool how Little Mac has all of these different options. He's gonna be an absolute beast on the ground.
What about his terrible recovery and apparent very poor air game?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
How is this a boring update? He just revealed to us the first character to ever have different directional attacks for the same smash.
Oh, wow. Now Marth's side B is also Little Mac's side-smash. This changes everything wow.

So I'm guessing that you're just going to play the game for a few weeks?

These updates to me are the most interesting as they affect how we play in the long run. Everyone is so entranced by the need to see new characters when that is already implied. None of the new stuff matters if the game doesn't play well.
You can't know if the game plays well by these pics. I don't care about knowing everything about a character, I'm more interested to know if he's in and that's that. Then I'll discover him by playing.
But that's not the point, I don't even want new characters. I actually hope three newcomers tops are revealed before release date. I want to know more about the ****ing game. Stages, modes. We know basically **** about that and it's getting annoying with all these "Oh look at this character move which was exactly the same in Brawl".

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
What about his terrible recovery and apparent very poor air game?
His recovery doesn't matter much if you can't even get him off stage. Besides, Falco was top-tier in Melee and he has a garbage recovery. Air game doesn't matter much either considering that Mac can more than put on the hurt when he's on the ground. I mean, the dude literally has an instant kill attack. If that doesn't sound top-tier to you then I don't know what to say.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Oh, wow. Now Marth's side B is also Little Mac's side-smash. This changes everything wow.

You can't know if the game plays well by these pics. I don't care about knowing everything about a character, I'm more interested to know if he's in and that's that. Then I'll discover him by playing.
But that's not the point, I don't even want new characters. I actually hope three newcomers tops are revealed before release date. I want to know more about the ****ing game. Stages, modes. We know basically **** about that and it's getting annoying with all these "Oh look at this character move which was exactly the same in Brawl".
I'm glad to know that Little Mac's fsmash wasn't changed from Brawl personally.

Also, seriously, how do we not already know a lot? We know about 25 characters and over a dozen stages (I haven't been keeping stage count, but it's actually a lot that we've seen). We've been catching up on item stuff at a very high rate recently so there's that too. In terms of game modes, what do you even want to know? I can spoil it for you. We'll have some sort of versus mode in which 2-4 players fight each other in time, stock, or coin modes (possibly some other variation none of us will ever play too). There is likely going to be some analogue to special Brawl. We'll have in single player classic, adventure, and all-star with adventure being something in-between Melee and Brawl in terms of scope probably closer to Melee. We'll be able to break the targets, do a home-run contest, do a really awful multi-man mode, have some event matches, and maybe have one or two other random single player things which are likely going to be 3DS exclusive. We'll probably be able to play this game on-line, we know trophies return, and it's likely we'll have a variety of other "look at that" things like stickers and the chronicle again. The game will keep some stats for you like every other smash game. You'll be able to customize controls, and there is a pretty good chance of some kind of a stage builder. We are still short on details, but we basically know what we're getting here in terms of the broad framework of what kind of game it's going to be. What we don't know are details, and well, this update was a very interesting detail. What do you really want here?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm glad to know that Little Mac's fsmash wasn't changed from Brawl personally.

Also, seriously, how do we not already know a lot? We know about 25 characters and over a dozen stages (I haven't been keeping stage count, but it's actually a lot that we've seen). We've been catching up on item stuff at a very high rate recently so there's that too. In terms of game modes, what do you even want to know? I can spoil it for you. We'll have some sort of versus mode in which 2-4 players fight each other in time, stock, or coin modes (possibly some other variation none of us will ever play too). There is likely going to be some analogue to special Brawl. We'll have in single player classic, adventure, and all-star with adventure being something in-between Melee and Brawl in terms of scope probably closer to Melee. We'll be able to break the targets, do a home-run contest, do a really awful multi-man mode, have some event matches, and maybe have one or two other random single player things which are likely going to be 3DS exclusive. We'll probably be able to play this game on-line, we know trophies return, and it's likely we'll have a variety of other "look at that" things like stickers and the chronicle again. The game will keep some stats for you like every other smash game. You'll be able to customize controls, and there is a pretty good chance of some kind of a stage builder. We are still short on details, but we basically know what we're getting here in terms of the broad framework of what kind of game it's going to be. What we don't know are details, and well, this update was a very interesting detail. What do you really want here?
Oh you work with Sakurai? That's nice to know.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
Sweet!

This is the second photo strip, next to the one of Villagers.

It really gives us pretty neat info and views.

Hope Sakurai will post more of those photo strips! :awesome:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Has anyone played the Fight Night boxing games? In those(and possibly other boxing games that I haven't played) almost all your punches are mapped to the control stick and there's quite a lot of punches available, so pushing the control stick forward and then rotating it up vs. pushing the control stick forward and then rotating it down can be the difference between executing an uppercut or a body blow. I'm wondering if Sakurai is referencing those games with this.

Staarih

Smash Master
I still can't understand people who are disappointed by the PotD's. Like it has been said a hundred and thousand times already, we should be glad Sakurai is giving us something instead of nothing. It's one's own fault to put much expectations to the pictures and then feel disappointed. I personally don't take the pictures by heart, instead I take them as a nice added bonus and thus enjoy "boring" pictures as well. If he was to give us "worthwhile" information every time we'd be out of interesting pictures pretty soon. So would it really be better to know everything beforehand or would you rather know bits and pieces here and there and discover the rest once the game is out? I'd choose the latter.

Oh, and I found this Little Mac pic very interesting.

Last edited:

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
I still can't understand people who are disappointed by the PotD's. Like it has been said a hundred and thousand times already, we should be glad Sakurai is giving us something instead of nothing. It's one's own fault to put much expectations to the pictures and then feel disappointed. I personally don't take the pictures by heart, instead I take them as a nice added bonus and thus enjoy "boring" pictures as well. If he was to give us "worthwhile" information every time we'd be out of interesting pictures pretty soon. So would it really be better to know everything beforehand or would you rather know bits and pieces here and there and discover the rest once the game is out? I'd choose the latter.
We sure become even more greedy, every time...

I rather keep the spoilers as they are and discover them all by myself when I get my hands on SSB4.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I definitely liked this update. It's cool that the developers are making this technical aspect of the game stand out more. Like others have stated before, this has been present in past games, but I doubt many casual players would have even known about angled f-smashes in the previous games. I'm glad that angled f-smashes now have a more noticeable effect (at least for Little Mac) and it introduces a slightly higher learning curve for casual gamers. It's going to challenge me in how I play Little Mac, actually thinking about how to correctly use what angled smash for what specific situation, and work on my fine motor skills a bit more to get comfortable with the precision needed for triggering which specific attack I want, since I have not usually used characters that had angled smashes in past games.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Oh, and I found this Little Mac pic very interesting.
If we got only the really crazy awesome stuff revealed people still wouldn't be satisfied.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Greedy? I'd rather have no pics at all than boring pics. I don't want to know everything. Brawl's updates were **** because they contained too much, these are mostly teases... We already know too many characters to be honest, while we know basically nothing about stages. Yeah we know 24 of them (22 technically) but how in depth we know them? Explore that and live the gameplay as a surprise. I like the fact that we don't know many final smashes yet. Leave that as a surprise, and give us something interesting meanwhile, not "Hey Dedede has the exact move that he had in Brawl.".

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
Makes me also wonder if there are characters besides Marth and Little Mac with angled Smash attacks?
maybe every character will have this now and marth's side smash in brawl is now his side down smash

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I love these gameplay updates. Looks like Mac's air game is compensated by tons of options on the ground. Probably gonna be a very technical character, one that's gonna be very capable of being a high tier but gonna have some nightmare match-ups since his playstyle is gonna be so particular.

I love having variations on smash attacks. I doubt that many other characters gonna have such variations because it's Mac in particular that's gonna have the superior ground game. However, I'd like the slightly tilted smashes that Brawl had to have the input options like Mac has, being able to start tilting up or down while charging side smash for example. I found the input for those in Brawl to be a bit uncomfortable, I'd rather be able to do those by starting straight side smash and then turning the stick instead of tapping the stick in a weird direction.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I dont know what these guys are thinking... Little Mac seemed OP already... not to mention he has super armor while performing his Fsmash... I hope this idea of different moves for tilts is moved to other characters too. You know for BALANCE PURPOSES. Something they seem to be forgetting about when it comes to Little Mac...

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I dont know what these guys are thinking... Little Mac seemed OP already... not to mention he has super armor while performing his Fsmash... I hope this idea of different moves for tilts is moved to other characters too. You know for BALANCE PURPOSES. Something they seem to be forgetting about when it comes to Little Mac...
You forget that NONE of us have even played Little Mac. He may seem strong and have a lot of power, but we don't know until we played him. Second lets say Sakurai wanted to hype Brawl Ganondorf and Captain Falcon he can talk positively about them and say how powerful they are, but in the end they're considered some of the worst characters in Brawl. I'm kinda tired of hearing "HE LOOKS OP". Also I do like the idea of certain characters getting different variants for certain attacks.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
You forget that NONE of us have even played Little Mac. He may seem strong and have a lot of power, but we don't know until we played him. Second lets say Sakurai wanted to hype Brawl Ganondorf and Captain Falcon he can talk positively about them and say how powerful they are, but in the end they're considered some of the worst characters in Brawl. I'm kinda tired of hearing "HE LOOKS OP". Also I do like the idea of certain characters getting different variants for certain attacks.
You're right none of us have played him. But 1 hit KO move + super armor. From what it seems he's going to be a top tier character. At least when the game first comes out then people will figure him out and he'll probably be B-C tier. Little mac just seems to have so many options and gimmicks already but hey a couple more won't hurt. I'm sure thats what they thought with Metaknight too.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
we need to realize he is not doing this for us, he is doing this as marketing the game to us, this pics are designed to build up hype and pics like these don't help. Vintage creep made a good point about the stages, other then a few we just seen bit of pieces of them heck the kid icurus stage and the new leaf stage we just get a close up of a statue and a character in new leaf.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Remember, I belive we have yet to see Wii-Fit Trainer actually take a hit At All. Doesn't mean she won't be a punching bag when the game is in our hands. ^^
Little Mac has major weaknesses. Knock him off the stage (which is easy seeing how small and light he is), and he will have a veeery hard time getting back in.

link2702

Smash Champion
Yes, I love these gameplay updates. Looks like Mac's air game is compensated by tons of options on the ground. Probably gonna be a very technical character, one that's gonna be very capable of being a high tier but gonna have some nightmare match-ups since his playstyle is gonna be so particular.

I love having variations on smash attacks. I doubt that many other characters gonna have such variations because it's Mac in particular that's gonna have the superior ground game. However, I'd like the slightly tilted smashes that Brawl had to have the input options like Mac has, being able to start tilting up or down while charging side smash for example. I found the input for those in Brawl to be a bit uncomfortable, I'd rather be able to do those by starting straight side smash and then turning the stick instead of tapping the stick in a weird direction.
the tilted smashes were actually possible since smash64 if I remember correctly, definitely since melee for sure.

However, in all three prior smash games the differences and advantages/disadvantages to using em compared to the normal smash atttack were so extremely minor that there was really no point, so most folks didn't even realize they were there, the few who did, had no incentive to bother using them.

EDIT:
Makes me also wonder if there are characters besides Marth and Little Mac with angled Smash attacks?
marth never had an angled smash attack, his side special was angled, not his smash attacks.

Mario, samus, Kirby, ganon, c.falcon, zelda(i think... been awhile since I used her) sonic, and luigi off the top of my head all had angled smash attacks.

most characters also had angled tilts as well. Obviously there are a few up there I'm missing, but i can tell you with certainty that marth did not have an angled smash attack.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Remember, I belive we have yet to see Wii-Fit Trainer actually take a hit At All. Doesn't mean she won't be a punching bag when the game is in our hands. ^^
Little Mac has major weaknesses. Knock him off the stage (which is easy seeing how small and light he is), and he will have a veeery hard time getting back in.
Falcos recovery sucks too. But he's still a very good character in Brawl and Melee. Little Macs side b actually sends him a good distance horizontally. I think Little Mac will be best on stages like FD. Big with little to no platforms are his best bet. Of course his aerial attacks wont be good so he might not be able to combo as well in the air. But the lack of knock back in aerial attacks may just help combos. Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom