• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Does gen 5 get a lot of hate?
I usually only see hate directed toward gen 3 and a bit to gen 4, but I do see hate toward Gen 5 a bit more often, by which I mean Black/White, because of its Pokemon designs, but this is often countered by reminding people of the first generation's designs. People were just annoyed probably because they wanted to use some old Pokemon but these games tried to recreate Red/Blue's magic by only having its gen's Pokemon available.
I don't see any hate toward Black2/White2 personally.

I'll criticize Black and White by saying I do actually hate one Pokemon: Trubbish, who is just a living garbage bag with googley eyes and buck teeth. People like to say Grimer is the same thing, but I think there's a key difference. Also Gen 5 was much more linear and story-heavy.

Having lots of story was nice cause Pokemon was trying new things and the story was actually quite nice and interesting. The problem though was it felt like you ran into your rivals after every little accomplishment and exposition could get boring and repetitive. The ending was great though. The soundtrack was also kinda hit and miss. Some great tracks, lots of forgettable ones.

Overall Black/White aka Gen 5 was/were great games that tried lots of new things and had creative Pokemon/story/competitive updates! But to me, it was one of the weakest generations. Again - that doesn't mean it's bad! It just has some pretty tough competition.

Anyway! Sorry for the rant, it was pretty off-topic and boring, but uh. I could see a vet today, and maybe at the end of every week, unvieling the starting roster, leading up to 3DS release. Or I could see some alt costume or whatever today, and next week, but then at the end of next week - getting a Smash Direct announcement for August 19. Then we get a Shulk trailer with Lucas, Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, maybe Ness... I dunno, we'll just havta wait and see.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
WELL, WELL, WELL, there's a surprise and a half. So we're not just stuck with Pokemon X/Y for stages?

Even though Gen 5 is my least favorite generation, at least they chose the most arguably best location from the games. Sakurai, you're a cool guy.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yeah, Gen 5 represent! I was hoping the Unova games would get a stage, and while I was hoping for Skyarrow Bridge, this'll do. Someone mentioned earlier Milotic being a potential transformation of Zoroark; I think that's a pretty reasonable explanation, although still pretty random (unless it cycles through a bunch of other random Pokemon add transformations, which would be a fun excuse to include some of them).

I wonder if the Wii U version will get two Pokemon stages too. *still hopes for Skyarrow Bridge*

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, for what it's worth I gave up on White 2 after three attempts to finish it. First Pokemon game I ever put down incomplete. So here's one guy that wasn't sold on it (though again, it had some good ideas)

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I usually only see hate directed toward gen 3 and a bit to gen 4, but I do see hate toward Gen 5 a bit more often, by which I mean Black/White, because of its Pokemon designs, but this is often countered by reminding people of the first generation's designs. People were just annoyed probably because they wanted to use some old Pokemon but these games tried to recreate Red/Blue's magic by only having its gen's Pokemon available.
I don't see any hate toward Black2/White2 personally.

I'll criticize Black and White by saying I do actually hate one Pokemon: Trubbish, who is just a living garbage bag with googley eyes and buck teeth. People like to say Grimer is the same thing, but I think there's a key difference. Also Gen 5 was much more linear and story-heavy.

Having lots of story was nice cause Pokemon was trying new things and the story was actually quite nice and interesting. The problem though was it felt like you ran into your rivals after every little accomplishment and exposition could get boring and repetitive. The ending was great though. The soundtrack was also kinda hit and miss. Some great tracks, lots of forgettable ones.

Overall Black/White aka Gen 5 was/were great games that tried lots of new things and had creative Pokemon/story/competitive updates! But to me, it was one of the weakest generations. Again - that doesn't mean it's bad! It just has some pretty tough competition.

Anyway! Sorry for the rant, it was pretty off-topic and boring, but uh. I could see a vet today, and maybe at the end of every week, unvieling the starting roster, leading up to 3DS release. Or I could see some alt costume or whatever today, and next week, but then at the end of next week - getting a Smash Direct announcement for August 19. Then we get a Shulk trailer with Lucas, Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, maybe Ness... I dunno, we'll just havta wait and see.
Aww I love Trubbish! It's so cute and it rounds out the pollution trio and...like...garbadge! :3 I get if you don't like it though. :3

Pokémon's a series where I can't really say any of the games are better or worse. There's so many factors to Pokémon and so many different reason why people like pokemon and the each of the games have different strengths and focuses. Of course I have my preferences. Gen 5 was my favorite by a huge margin because it has basically everything I want out of a pokemon game, gen 4 my least favorite by a long shot for several reason. But even strictly in terms of my own opinion, I have a really hard time rating the games on quality like I can do with other game serials, I can only rate them in terms of preference.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
And another new stage. Nice.

It is clearly the Unova Pokémon League and, judging by the caption, it seems N's Castle will appear as well, possibly alternating between the two places. A good choice for a Smash stage, given how memorable this part was in the original game. It's the first time that more than one stage based on actual Pokémon locations are featured in Smash.

Milotic seems random, but it's still an interesting choice as it makes the stage to have a trio of fire, thunder and water elements. Plus, Kyurem is a Poké Ball summon, so it couldn't appear here.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Does anyone think Reshiram's model in the screenshot look kind of... mediocre? It might just be me, and probably won't be noticable in the final build.

It's mostly the lower body and tail that bother me.

Does anyone think Reshiram's model in the screenshot look kind of... mediocre? It might just be me, and probably won't be noticable in the final build.

It's mostly the lower body and tail that bother me.
You're not alone. It's pretty meh. I just didn't want to come off as a buzz kill, and like you said it probably won't be that noticeable in game. At the end of the day I would much rather the match and character look and run better then a living stage prop anyway.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Today's update made me happy that we're getting a 3DS version. You see, if we only got the Wii U version we probably wouldn't get two neat Pokemon stages representing the games in between like this. Instead we'd get maybe one, and then the (pardon my bluntness) 'generic' Pokemon Stadium stage we always get.

Who knows... Maybe we might not even get a "Pokemon Stadium" this time and might get another cool stage on the Wii U, but I doubt it. It's just nice to see that in between the 3DS and Wii U versions we get lots more stage representation than previous.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
New Pokemon stage, I'll accept it even though it's from my 2nd least favourite gen. At least gen V is getting a stage unlike gen III in Brawl. As others have said, Milotic is pretty random but maybe it has something to do with Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or perhaps it's one of Sakurai's favourites. Could also be the closest thing gen III has to a Lucario-esque Pokemon in terms of hype although I think Blaziken among others is much more hyped about.

Pretty decent week so far all things considered with:
Monday having a deconfirmation of Takamaru
Tuesday giving us a new 3DS stage and introducing Paper Mario content
Wednesday explaining an item
And today being yet another new 3DS stage

With such a good week I can imagine Friday being something good. I don't wanna say it'll be a veteran but still something good.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Love the new stage! Milotic is one of my favorite Pokemon!

Also, I know you guys constantly get excited, but this thread has become a cancer. Its constantly "Wario ___" and its gotten really intoleeable. I dont qant to moderate but this thread hasnt become fun anymore. No one cares that you desperately want Wario, stop fishing for likes.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Love the new stage! Milotic is one of my favorite Pokemon!

Also, I know you guys constantly get excited, but this thread has become a cancer. Its constantly "Wario ___" and its gotten really intoleeable. I dont qant to moderate but this thread hasnt become fun anymore. No one cares that you desperately want Wario, stop fishing for likes.
Eh Wario should be cut imo. If they're not gonna give him moves from the wario land series I don't really want him at all. Plus he was a starter for Brawl and he hasn't been shown yet? Probably cut imo. No reason to have not shown him otherwise. Plus there was that leak saying he was cut, it's sounding pretty believable about now.

D

Deleted member

Eh, "someone's castle" pretty much sounds like "An enemy from Samus' past may appear in any second" and "The statue of the Goddess of Light'" to me...

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, for what it's worth I gave up on White 2 after three attempts to finish it. First Pokemon game I ever put down incomplete. So here's one guy that wasn't sold on it (though again, it had some good ideas)
Yeah, the sequels kind of sucked, it had some good ideas like you said but I feel like it fell into the same hole that 4th and 6th Generation did with the villain team, suddenly making Team Plasma very dull. The progression of the game was also pretty off imo, and there were too many events and too much dialog stopping you in your tracks. That and I still can't comprehend why they didn't make it possible to battle the hero of the past games when he was constantly refered to all the time. I like the idea of revisiting a region years later, like Kanto in Generation 2, so it's a shame it was done so half-assed in this case, the best thing about the game was the post-game content.

Last edited:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Eh Wario should be cut imo. If they're not gonna give him moves from the wario land series I don't really want him at all. Plus he was a starter for Brawl and he hasn't been shown yet? Probably cut imo. No reason to have not shown him otherwise. Plus there was that leak saying he was cut, it's sounding pretty believable about now.
What? Nintendo had already accidentally leaked his appearance in the eShop. And we have Ashley and Waluigi as AT's already. He's got a 99.9% of being in the game now. Maybe he hasn't been shown yst because he got a major overhaul.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The only thing I didn't like about Black and White was that they tried to separate themselves so much from the other gens. Several pokemon from that game were obvious evolutions for previous pokemon (almoamoamoa - luvdisc, tauros - that other bull thing), but are now stuck as awkward sloppy worthless seconds. At least they actually put out a decent amount of pokemon in Gen 5, unlike in gen 6. Gen 6, adding a new type isn't an excuse to only add like 30 new pokemon >.>

What? Nintendo had already accidentally leaked his appearance in the eShop. And we have Ashley and Waluigi as AT's already. He's got a 99.9% of being in the game now. Maybe he hasn't been shown yst because he got a major overhaul.
It was pure sarcasm :p

Last edited:

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
Plot twist: instead of N's castle he's actually referring to Mewtwo's castle from the pokemon movie. Mewtwo confirmed.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We've gotten multiple stages the past two weeks. This is absolutely incredible.

Sakurai might be trying to show off all the stages on the 3DS before the game release.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Double plot twist - he didn't mention N by name; N confirmed
Imagine this scenario in the net Nintendo direct.

*smash logo*

We see Lucario standing in front of a castle, looking up at someone we can't see. The figure jumps down and lands in front of Lucario. It's N.

N Liberates the competition?!

Instinctavily, N shoots an aura sphere and it hits N. When the dust clears, we see not N, but Zoroark! The real tagline appears.

Zoroark casts an illusion!

Cut to footage of Zoroark in Smash. He has an ability where he can briefly transform into his opponent.

Cut to game logo.

Meanwhile, away from the battle, Mewtwo stirs.

"I suppose I'll get my chance, another day"

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Wooo! N's Castle! I was really hoping for this but not expecting it! Kinda like Greninja, actually. Anyways, Milotic confuses me. And is that an N hint? Because N is my most-wanted human newcomer from Pokémon and that would make me very, very happy.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wow im accually figured N castle would be a stage

So reshiram and zekrom and milotic are hazard (but are they boss hazards or work like dialiga and palkia did on apear pillar.)

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Wow im accually figured N castle would be a stage

So reshiram and Zekrom and milotic are hazard (but are they boss hazards or work like dialiga and palkia did on apear pillar.)
Fixed. The only evidence we know of Zoroark's existence is in the Charizard/Greninja trailer where he appears with all the other Pokeball pokemon. So I assume Zoroark would be a pokeball item, too.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Pic of the day. Reshiram appears on one of the stages in the 3DS version! Zekrom and Milotic will appear, too. It's close enough to the launch date, so I don't have to describe this stage to you, right? Japan is going to have it very soon, so you guys can wait until they get it, okay? The design of this stage is based off of the surroundings of someone's castle.
Fixed.
Sakurai, I know you are being endearing to Japan, but you are rubbing salt in the wounds to people who don't live in Japan, and can't afford to import Japanese 3ds's. -_-

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
No, it isn't. It is the entrance to the Pokémon League in Pokémon Black and White. Even the broken pillar is there:

Actually, if you remember in Pokemon Black White, The pokemon league is interrupted by the invasion of Team Plasma. The acess to N Castle is by the champion room, so this may be a traveling stage that goes by the Champion Room and the Castle, or the castle is the background, since the screen is in close-up we don't actually know if the stage travels and how big the stage is.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Actually, if you remember in Pokemon Black White, The pokemon league is interrupted by the invasion of Team Plasma. The acess to N Castle is by the champion room, so this may be a traveling stage that goes by the Champion Room and the Castle, or the castle is the background, since the screen is in close-up we don't actually know if the stage travels and how big the stage is.
It is a likely possibility! The stage could also work like Castle Siege, transitioning to different places during the match.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was hoping that it was Mewtwo's castle
Mewtwo's castle is an anime thing, why would they make a stage based on the anime for Smash? Also, if Mewtwo is back in Smash, it will likely be the one from the Genesect movie, so Mewtwo's castle being a stage would make no sense whatsoever.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only thing I didn't like about Black and White was that they tried to separate themselves so much from the other gens. Several pokemon from that game were obvious evolutions for previous pokemon (almoamoamoa - luvdisc, tauros - that other bull thing), but are now stuck as awkward sloppy worthless seconds. At least they actually put out a decent amount of pokemon in Gen 5, unlike in gen 6. Gen 6, adding a new type isn't an excuse to only add like 30 new pokemon >.>
You do realize that Bouffalant is based on a bison, right?

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Mewtwo's castle is an anime thing, why would they make a stage based on the anime for Smash? Also, if Mewtwo is back in Smash, it will likely be the one from the Genesect movie, so Mewtwo's castle being a stage would make no sense whatsoever.
Why would they include anything from the anime? Although I guess they did use the Pokémon's voices.
EDIT: Point being, if we get Mewtwo, it'll be the one from Melee if he has to be a specific one.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
They have a seal evolve into a dugong in gen 1... So I don't think they care much about that kind of accuracy lol.
dewgong is a dugong only in name
the closest sirenian it could have similarities to is steller's sea cow, and that's a massive stretch

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Interestingly, Porygon-Z got a voice in the PokePark series, and it never made ANY anime appearances.
It's kind of sad that none of the Porygon line get to make appearances anymore, which I assume is 'cos of the banned Porygon episode that put half of Japan into a seizure.

Does that really constitute being ignored though? It wasn't really the pokemon itself that caused epilepsy, it was the weird explosion that flashed red and blue.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
dewgong is a dugong only in name
the closest sirenian it could have similarities to is steller's sea cow, and that's a massive stretch
All I'm saying is Pokemon evolutions don't necessarily have to make sense, lol. Gimme time and I'm sure I can find better examples. But when you got two similar ones without evolutions, it seems like a bit of a waste. I'm not saying that they need to shoe-horn an evolution for every pokemon either. I just think they dropped the ball in a few cases in gen 5; although the general sentiment of that post was a positive one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom