• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ooh ouch. The comment on this pic of the day..... I can't say I blame Sakurai though, pretty much all the Miiverse comments are people not giving a crap about what he just posted and just requesting their characters or complaining about something. Anyway, sorry to all the Waluigi supporters. :/

On my phone and when I got on the computer, the pic of the day is not updated on the official site. Is that like that for anyone else? I only see it on Miiverse.

I kind of think that this actually helps Bowser Jr. out, though people have heavily disputed this.
He's the one I'm counting on to make it in.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
On my phone and when I got on the computer, the pic of the day is not updated on the official site. Is that like that for anyone else? I only see it on Miiverse.
Same here. It seems the website hasn't been updated.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Same here. It seems the website hasn't been updated.
Hmm, weird. Wonder if that means they are going to update something else on the site...not so much a character reveal but something on the bottom. (Maybe adding a date to that 2014 planned release. One can dream.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hmm, weird. Wonder if that means they are going to update something else on the site...not so much a character reveal but something on the bottom. (Maybe adding a date to that 2014 planned release. One can dream.)
I don't think so. They wouldn't reveal the release date in such a low profile.

And at this time, it's already past midnight in Japan, so I wouldn't expect it being updated for today's picture anymore.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't think so. They wouldn't reveal the release date in such a low profile.

And at this time, it's already past midnight in Japan, so I wouldn't expect it being updated for today's picture anymore.
Yeah, they wouldn't. I obsessively check that sometimes anyway haha.

Oh right I always forget what time it is in Japan.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
You were expecting more than 25 characters in Melee? More than double the characters in the previous installment? In a fighting game?
Have you played Street Fighter IV and Tekken Tag Tournament 2?
Anyway, character for today guys? :)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I looked at ssb4 quote and the ssbb quote about Waluigi

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist14.html

They are alarming simular

(I really hope this will quite down the negative people who don't want certain characters)

But I think I got this arguement In The bag

Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.
Why would sakurai say "You'll" I think that saying this for Waluigi only because you'll is the contraction of you will

Which means the quote is saying this

Just because you try does not mean you will make it into battle

So I think its refering to Waluigi trying hard to be playable again

Can any of you explain the you'll part of the sentence.

(And yes I know this will not keep the negative people about some characters mouth shut about this though)

Last edited:

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Drama Queen? Drama Queen indeed. Hahahaha oh my god, you know that is a video game right? Go read a book to create some maturity or something.

And DLC is killing this industry so no DLC
DLC is not killing the industry, is how it is being implemented that hurts it. There's nothing bad in itself about DLC, it can help a game have a longer life (good for competitive games, such as smash) And allows some teams to keep having work to do when a game project its done.

Like compare DLC such as Pikmin 3's, Team Fortress 2's, or DOTA's to "DLC-on-disc" content such as Tekken Vs Street Fighter and tell me they are both affecting the industry the same way.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Have you played Street Fighter IV and Tekken Tag Tournament 2?
Anyway, character for today guys? :)
You know....Melee is not the same generation than Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Street Fighter IV.
And how many times you have to buy the same game to achive that number of chars on Street Fighter IV? Oh, it´s releasing again isn´t? Just for that 5 relash chars.

Tekken Tag Torunament 2 is all right, but I am more a DOA guy.

DLC is not killing the industry, is how it is being implemented that hurts it. There's nothing bad in itself about DLC, it can help a game have a longer life (good for competitive games, such as smash) And allows some teams to keep having work to do when a game project its done.

Like compare DLC such as Pikmin 3's, Team Fortress 2's, or DOTA's to "DLC-on-disc" content such as Tekken Vs Street Fighter and tell me they are both affecting the industry the same way.
Yeah, I didn´t like Pikmin 3 DLC, it was clear that the content was already done because the mission mode was too poor.

But with DLC you are playing something with a lifespan, you know how many years playstation 3 psn will be live? You never will have the complete game. I prefer they spend time developing something I can play all my live againt a new shinning horse armor. Make the best game you can achive now and leave tomorrow for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Hey, look I was right.... It did indeed smell like Assist Trophy Thursday.

Though I got the particular fragrance wrong. To think I didn't smell Waluigi coming.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I guess I can actually understand why Sakurai didn't put the pic of the day on the website. People will look at the picture and just assume he's a playable character, without checking out the comment or even looking down below to see his update. Guess he doesn't want to give their hopes up.

Well I looked at ssb4 quote and the ssbb quote about Waluigi

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist14.html

They are alarming simular

(I really hope this will quite down the negative people who don't want certain characters)

But I think I got this arguement In The bag

Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.
Why would sakurai say "You'll" I think that saying this for Waluigi only because you'll is the contraction of you will

Which means the quote is saying this

Just because you try does not mean you will make it into battle

So I think its refering to Waluigi trying hard to be playable again

Can any of you explain the you'll part of the sentence.

(And yes I know this will not keep the negative people about some characters mouth shut about this though)
I was wondering why he said you'll too, but I just kinda assumed it was an English mistake on his part.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
waluigi trys hard at everything. it's his character to always end in second place, neglected by the starlight that has reached the other mario characters. hence in a general sense "just because you try hard to match up to the other mario characters, waluigi, doesnt mean you'll become a smash character yourself" (at least for this game)

also, he confirms that anyone who's an assist trophy is deconfirmed as a playable character. "Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character." that should finally stomp out the hopeful dreams of anyone still wanting skullkid or nintendogs as playable characters

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I guess I can actually understand why Sakurai didn't put the pic of the day on the website. People will look at the picture and just assume he's a playable character, without checking out the comment or even looking down below to see his update. Guess he doesn't want to give their hopes up.

I was wondering why he said you'll too, but I just kinda assumed it was an English mistake on his part.
Yea that's why I think it only hurts everyone by a 3% only

And I think the ending of the quote is only refering to Waluigi only.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So, the Assist Trophy roster so far is:

Skull Kid
Ashley
Starfy
Nintendog
Mother Brain
Waluigi
*Phantom* (either AT, or a new Zelda special, or a separate character)

Am I missing anyone?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yea that's why I think it only hurts everyone by a 3% only

And I think the ending of the quote is only refering to Waluigi only.
Could be, it makes sense, but my initial thought was him meaning to say "he'll" instead of "you'll", as if he was speaking to the people requesting him.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246

Skull Kid
Ashley
Starfy
Nintendog
Mother Brain
Waluigi

Am I missing anyone?
That seems right. And looking at 'em all in one place... it's looking good if you ask me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Skull Kid
Ashley
Starfy
Nintendog
Mother Brain
Waluigi

Am I missing anyone?
I'm pretty sure the Phantom isn't another character.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm pretty sure the Phantom isn't another character.
Yeah, but it's not Zelda's Down-B either.

It begins. ¦(

And he's just listing off Assist Trophies in general as opposed to "disconfirms"

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Maybe the Phantom is a item.
Tam Tam TAAAAM.

You "use" him and he goes beserk for you.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Yeah, but it's not Zelda's Down-B either.

It begins. ¦(

And he's just listing off Assist Trophies in general as opposed to "disconfirms"
The Phantom topic's already been quite thoroughly discussed in the Zelda boards. Let's not bring it back up here xD

..... please. QQ

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm thrilled Waluigi is just an AT, since as other people have said it means they've got more time to work on other things.

Technically DLC is saving this industry, actually; since the newer consoles and PCs keep getting better and better specs, it requires an absurd amount of investment (both in time and money) in order to make a game that can actually utilize the current standard of technology, an investment so large that it almost cannot be recouped by game sales alone. Take, as a very small example, how game developers used to be able to get by with some low-fidelity particle effects that were easily coded by the developers, but now in order to remain competitive they have to look at hiring an expert on particle effects (which costs lots more $$$) so that they are as realistic as their competitors. If it wasn't for the advent of making additional revenue via DLC, I could easily see game studios closing across the world because they simply cannot afford to make games for the new machines anymore.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I'm thrilled Waluigi is just an AT, since as other people have said it means they've got more time to work on other things.

Technically DLC is saving this industry, actually; since the newer consoles and PCs keep getting better and better specs, it requires an absurd amount of investment (both in time and money) in order to make a game that can actually utilize the current standard of technology, an investment so large that it almost cannot be recouped by game sales alone. Take, as a very small example, how game developers used to be able to get by with some low-fidelity particle effects that were easily coded by the developers, but now in order to remain competitive they have to look at hiring an expert on particle effects (which costs lots more $$$) so that they are as realistic as their competitors. If it wasn't for the advent of making additional revenue via DLC, I could easily see game studios closing across the world because they simply cannot afford to make games for the new machines anymore.
Please understand that my perspective was based only on the cosumer side. This industry should try to impress more with artistic side than technical one.

Staarih

Smash Master
Here's hoping for a new stage to finish this week - and month - off. Yikes, it's March in just a couple of days and the waiting for character reveals begins again (as if it ended at some point...)

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679

DLC done right is saving the industry - even pushing it forward. However, far too often, DLC is poorly implemented and, in many cases, allows developers to justify half-assedness.

What DLC is killing, though, are unlockables. (This is why I love Sakurai's games)

Last edited:

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I supported Waluigi for Smash because I like the character subjectively, and I was rooting for that "Smash Bros" bump characters/franchises get. Maybe if he was playable in Smash, he could finally get a playable spot in a Wario game.

That said, I didn't have my hopes up.

But hey, now that last Mario spot can go to Geno :troll:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Drama Queen? Drama Queen indeed. Hahahaha oh my god, you know that is a video game right? Go read a book to create some maturity or something.

Maturity is a force that can neither be created nor destroyed, but only passed on. That's why old people have zero ****s to give.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
DLC done right is saving the industry - even pushing it forward. However, far too often, DLC is poorly implemented and, in many cases, allows developers to justify half-assedness.

What DLC is killing, though, are unlockables. (This is why I love Sakurai's games)
I mostly hate thing like on-disc DLC.

Based on what he has said in interviews, I know Sakurai won't do something like that.

If he makes DLC, it will be because he believes it will make a meaningful addition to the game, or at least because it's widely requested/petitioned for.

Unlike Capcom or whoever does CoD now, Nintendo has integrity.

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
You were expecting more than 25 characters in Melee? More than double the characters in the previous installment? In a fighting game?

Hacked brawl. Propably a few hundred characters. It works. Competitive play? Online character updates + character bans. After hacked brawl, just the idea of a new normal Smash with a few new characters and modes is DULL. The Waluigi caption pretty much confirmed how the next Smash is not going to be that much different. One thing I'm wondering though is how Sakurai managed to create something new, Kid Icarus Uprising, a game packed with unique and innovative content, but Smash doesn't seem to evolve anywhere.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Hacked brawl. Propably a few hundred characters. It works. Competitive play? Online character updates + character bans. After hacked brawl, just the idea of a new normal Smash with a few new characters and modes is DULL. The Waluigi caption pretty much confirmed how the next Smash is not going to be that much different. One thing I'm wondering though is how Sakurai managed to create something new, Kid Icarus Uprising, a game packed with unique and innovative content, but Smash doesn't seem to evolve anywhere.
Clearly, Smash cannot innovate without using a fourteen year old spin-off exclusive filler-character.

This guy has it right! New Smash games are a waste of time. Real ingenuity is in -1 Suit Samus skins and a dead-eyed MLPs.

Edit: Also: This

Real 'mur'can ingenuity at its finest.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Predictions for tomorrow. Either

1: Wario Reveal!
2: New Stage!
3: Shock-reveal for Waluigi being a newcomer, saying things like "Surprise! Waluigi Waaaahs into battle! Some characters will show up as Assists when not in play!"

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Predictions for tomorrow. Either

1: Wario Reveal!
2: New Stage!
3: Shock-reveal for Waluigi being a newcomer, saying things like "Surprise! Waluigi Waaaahs into battle! Some characters will show up as Assists when not in play!"
Knowing Sakurai, he wouldn't go that far, even by a long shot.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Knowing Sakurai, he wouldn't go that far, even by a long shot.
Shush on you. I am a Beliewaaahr. :)

I actually can see Wario revealed tomorrow, though. It does seem that they have sped up the character reveals a Little. It would be nice, I am curious to see what Wario will wear.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wario is better off being revealed next month since it is when the next anniversary of Wario Land occur. To make the reveal fitting, they can reveal him in his overall attire and save his biker attire at a later date.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
....dude. Project M, while not a 1:1 melee clone, was made to be more like melee except with more characters and a moveset changes. So speaking as if PM is some amazing artistic godsend is a bit hypocritical imo. I mean really. What beside balancing, moveset changes, new characters, costumes, stages, and modes (all of which, and then some, is being added to Smash 4) does PM have? What in the PM system mechanics doesnt already exist in some form in melee or brawl?

And I mean no disrespect to PM. I respect it as a technical feat. But acting like it's innovative and then condemning Smash 4 for doing the same thing and more is just sooooo biased and hypocritical.

And Smash 4 is meant to be a stable continuation/upgrade/refinement, not a completely revamped reboot like Kid Icarus was so the comparison between them is kinda pointless.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm hoping this hints toward Wario being revealed tomorrow.
Wario is better off being revealed next month since it is when the next anniversary of Wario Land occur. To make the reveal fitting, they can reveal him in his overall attire and save his biker attire at a later date.
It's more likely he'll be either a random reveal or with Mario Kart 8. SML3's anniversary (March 13) is the North American release date, which means it probably won't be recognized.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wario Land's anniversary was actually in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom