• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But again, the problems lies with the wording. Even though he may not intend it one way, that doesn't stop it from being perceived that way due to the words chosen and the timing. If that wasn't what he meant, he should've chosen his words differently.

The fact that people possibly misunderstood his statement due to his poor word choices is not their fault. It's his.
Either that or the translator's fault. It usually differs quite a bit from the original Japanese text, so we'll have to wait to find out if it's Sakurai or Nate Bihldorff who dun' goofed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Here you go. I tried uploading it to a different spot. Can you see it now?
I can see it fine here. Still can't get the image to change on the official site though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Either that or the translator's fault. It usually differs quite a bit from the original Japanese text, so we'll have to wait to find out if it's Sakurai or Nate Bihldorff who dun' goofed.
Bihldorff? Sounds like a fake name Ganon would make before taking some random form so he could hide until the final battle of the game.

Ganon confirmed to be Sakurai's translator that's trolling us all.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Man this feels more like the Smackdown Dojo than the Smash Bros. one. Never was a big Waluigi supporter or believer but that's just stone cold on Sakurai's part, geez.

Aggressive Sock

Smash Rookie
But again, the problems lies with the wording. Even though he may not intend it one way, that doesn't stop it from being perceived that way due to the words chosen and the timing. If that wasn't what he meant, he should've chosen his words differently.

The fact that people possibly misunderstood his statement due to his poor word choices is not their fault. It's his.
I don't agree.

I feel this is a case similar to how a woman interprets something. If I say to you, "you look good today". You could take it as you look great, or you could take it as you normally don't look good, but today is an exception. Maybe that's not the best analogy, but it's the idea of over-analyzing and interpretation. Text doesn't give off tone or attitude, so that certainly doesn't help. IMO, Sakurai probably didn't give the caption a 2nd thought. It's clearly a confirmation of him returning as an assist trophy, not playable, and a quip relating to the character's personality. It makes complete sense, and it fits. Nothing insulting about it. However, fans have a completely different mindset. Hanging on every word, every little nugget, over-analyzing, and investing emotions into whether a character makes it or not...clearly it's a miscommunication.

Sakurai did nothing wrong. No malice was intended or given. It's NOT his fault. It's this idea that everyone needs to double and triple check how things are worded or said, just in case not to offend absolutely anyone, that is wrong with society these days. There's always someone interpreting something negatively or insultingly. Regardless, the caption was harmless. Even if it WAS intended to be a jab at fans, quite frankly, that'd be humorous. Sakurai is human like you or I, if he decided to toy with fans emotions as most people on this forum like to do to each other, who's to blame him? However, that's likely not the case. Sakurai has seemed nothing but polite.

So Waluigi AT is back. Cool, I guess. =P

Does anybody else out there feel like Smash 4's visuals are lacking? Compared to what I see in Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, it seems like some of the models are just lazy....

Seriously, this is the Wii U, not the Gamecube. Isn't it about time that we use actual geometry to show distinct fingers, and not texture? I know Assist Trophies always have slightly crappier models than playable characters, but seriously... At the very least, use a bump map to fake the form.

I know this game is still in development, and I know the characters are pretty small on screen, but I'm still feeling a bit disappointed at this point. But whatever, graphics aren't everything. And the game will always look much better in motion than it does in stills.
Well considering the fact that the characters themselves use distinct lines I think it's justifiable for the assist trophies to look such a way. The game does have to work at a solid frame rate, especially considering how frantic things can get with all of the visual effects and items coming into play. But I will admit that Mario Kart does look good , and part of me expected smash's visuals to line up within that visual level.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't agree.

I feel this is a case similar to how a woman interprets something. If I say to you, "you look good today". You could take it as you look great, or you could take it as you normally don't look good, but today is an exception. Maybe that's not the best analogy, but it's the idea of over-analyzing and interpretation. Text doesn't give off tone or attitude, so that certainly doesn't help. IMO, Sakurai probably didn't give the caption a 2nd thought. It's clearly a confirmation of him returning as an assist trophy, not playable, and a quip relating to the character's personality. It makes complete sense, and it fits. Nothing insulting about it. However, fans have a completely different mindset. Hanging on every word, every little nugget, over-analyzing, and investing emotions into whether a character makes it or not...clearly it's a miscommunication.

Sakurai did nothing wrong. No malice was intended or given. It's NOT his fault. It's this idea that everyone needs to double and triple check how things are worded or said, just in case not to offend absolutely anyone, that is wrong with society these days. There's always someone interpreting something negatively or insultingly. Regardless, the caption was harmless. Even if it WAS intended to be a jab at fans, quite frankly, that'd be humorous. Sakurai is human like you or I, if he decided to toy with fans emotions as most people on this forum like to do to each other, who's to blame him? However, that's likely not the case. Sakurai has seemed nothing but polite.
Well, that's what you think and what I said is what other people think.

If that's what they think and feel, then that's just what the message caused and no amount of excuses or defending is going to change that for them.

*shrugs* Tough luck all around.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
So Waluigi AT is back. Cool, I guess. =P

Does anybody else out there feel like Smash 4's visuals are lacking? Compared to what I see in Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, it seems like some of the models are just lazy....

Seriously, this is the Wii U, not the Gamecube. Isn't it about time that we use actual geometry to show distinct fingers, and not texture? I know Assist Trophies always have slightly crappier models than playable characters, but seriously... At the very least, use a bump map to fake the form.

I know this game is still in development, and I know the characters are pretty small on screen, but I'm still feeling a bit disappointed at this point. But whatever, graphics aren't everything. And the game will always look much better in motion than it does in stills.
Thing is, with Smash, there's a lot more leeway with graphics, because everything is seen from afar during fights. Those hands do look lazy, but is that really a problem when you'll be seeing it from ten feet away.

Thing is, with Smash, there's a lot more leeway with graphics, because everything is seen from afar during fights. Those hands do look lazy, but is that really a problem when you'll be seeing it from ten feet away.
I agree. And besides that, think about it. In Mario Kart the models are merely sitting there, doing minimal actions and small animations, so the models can afford to have a high poly count a la Gran Turismo. Background effects are already pre loaded so everything is good to go for the most part. Characters in smash are fighting and have a great deal of life to them. If everything in the game looked over the top ( which isn't necessary because it still looks great) the game would have a terrible frame rate and suffer from the occasional frame rate issues that Brawl had.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I know, but it's the principle of the matter that bothers me. I'm an artist, whaddaya want? XP

I can't see how people are so upset that a video game character they want wasn't in that it rattles there emotions. Sort out your priorities.

Besides, this isn't Captain Falcon, it's Waluigi. Hell if Captain Falcon wasn't in smash 64 everyone would still be upset.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Waluigi looks good, but I am glad to see he still is an assist trophy. Not only there are already plenty of Mario character, if there was a seventh one, I would give priority to some other character over him. And if should a previously Assist Trophy become playable, I would also give priority to some else, like say, Samurai Goroh. Sorry, Waluigi fans, nothing personal.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

It's not Sakurai's word choice. It's the translator's. Even if the comment is technically the same in Japanese, there's things like cultural context, subtext, and the gramical mechanics of the language that can entirely throw off the meaning. If the comment comes off insulting in English, even if it came out poorly in the original Japanese(and I don't think it did), it is the translator's job to make sure it comes off the right way to English audiences, even if that means changing the comment entirely which is actually pretty often necessary in translating(and Sakurai's translators have completely changed his lines several times before, especially on the Brawl Dojo). And before anyone says Sakurai should have realized how the comment would come off in translation; no. He does not speak English, certainly not fluently. He should in no way be expect to predict English subtext. My Japanese is probably better than Sakurai's English and I've made some terrible mistakes because I failed to properly account for unintended meaning.
In short, Sakurai is not responsible for the wording of that comment or any unintended meaning that comment had, good or bad, the translator is.

Also, as far as I'm able to translate, the comment IS radically different in Japanese. I'm having some trouble understanding it but 滅多なことでは参戦できません means something like "He is a careless/reckless and so he is not participating in/prepared for Smash bros." Sloppy translation I know but I'm almost positive there is no way to translate the line that includes anything about hard work and I'm straight up positive it says nothing about something "not being enough", and the use of pronoun makes it an even bigger stretch to assume it's aimed at the fans than the English quote, which is already a big stretch.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I can't see how people are so upset that a video game character they want wasn't in that it rattles there emotions. Sort out your priorities.

Besides, this isn't Captain Falcon, it's Waluigi. Hell if Captain Falcon wasn't in smash 64 everyone would still be upset.
I don't think you understand. People aren't so much upset that Waluigi wasn't included. (Well, some are, but that's not the big issue)

They're upset and feel insulted because of the way the caption was worded. That's the problem.
And sorry to say, I had no idea who the hell Captain Falcon even was in 64 and didn't come to love him until his big memetic status became the norm around Brawl.

It's not Sakurai's word choice. It's the translator's. Even if the comment is technically the same in Japanese, there's things like cultural context, subtext, and the gramical mechanics of the language that can entirely throw off the meaning. If the comment comes off insulting in English, even if it came out poorly in the original Japanese(and I don't think it did), it is the translator's job to make sure it comes off the right way to English audiences, even if that means changing the comment entirely which is actually pretty often necessary in translating(and Sakurai's translators have completely changed his lines several times before, especially on the Brawl Dojo). And before anyone says Sakurai should have realized how the comment would come off in translation; no. He does not speak English, certainly not fluently. He should in no way be expect to predict English subtext. My Japanese is probably better than Sakurai's English and I've made some terrible mistakes because I failed to properly account for unintended meaning.
In short, Sakurai is not responsible for the wording of that comment or any unintended meaning that comment had, good or bad, the translator is.

Also, as far as I'm able to translate, the comment IS radically different in Japanese. I'm having some trouble understanding it but 滅多なことでは参戦できません means something like "He is a careless/reckless and so he is not participating in/prepared for Smash bros." Sloppy translation I know but I'm almost positive there is no way to translate the line that includes anything about hard work and I'm straight up positive it says nothing about something "not being enough", and the use of pronoun makes it an even bigger stretch to assume it's aimed at the fans than the English quote, which is already a big stretch.
You're really trying too hard there, buddy. It doesn't matter whose fault it is.

What happened has happened and people are going to feel the way they feel about it. Simple as that. *shrugs*

Besides, things have quieted down, so how about we all just set this aside and go about our merry ways?

Speaking of which, I'm going to bed.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
worded very bad imo, did not really care for waa but hate it for the supporters

Reila

I can see why the wording bother some people. If it was a character I wanted playable instead, I would probably be angry atm.

And sorry to say, I had no idea who the hell Captain Falcon even was in 64 and didn't come to love him until his big memetic status became the norm around Brawl.

You're really trying too hard there, buddy. It doesn't matter whose fault it is.

What happened has happened and people are going to feel the way they feel about it. Simple as that. *shrugs*

Besides, things have quieted down, so how about we all just set this aside and go about our merry ways?

Speaking of which, I'm going to bed.

Really? Wow lol, well I was joking, but I was a huge F-Zero fan (still am) to the point of an obsession when I was a kid. I even had played F-Zero X in Japanese on my N64 before it released in the states since my local video shop had it and I would usually rent a game once in a while. I didn't even KNOW that **** existed and I freaked the **** out.

When smash came out I saw Samus, Link and Fox and I was sold. Then out of all of the characters to be revealed--my n**ga, Captain mutha ****in Orenthal James Falcon, of all of the people, and he just happens to be a beast with one of video gamings most iconic quotes. That was a good day.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I know, but it's the principle of the matter that bothers me. I'm an artist, whaddaya want? XP
Hey, this makes me just as aggravated as well, but the whole game looks nice from a distance. For example, DK's fur looks washed out and iffy close up, but when I saw him in gameplay videos, he looked really nice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Waluigi being an assist doesn't really surprise me.

I highly doubt there will be another Mario character besides the ones already unveiled.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Well, I guess this was supposed to be the highlight of the week, in expecting a 3DS pic tomorrow, hopefully we get to see the Boxing Ring stage there.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I don't disagree with any part of this statement. Nor did I say anything about it in my post, nor do I care. You and a lot of other people specifically said it was Sakurai's fault, I felt it should be mentioned that it was something Sakurai didn't even do to begin with. I didn't even imply you cared that it was Sakurai's fault, but you were still saying that it's Sakurai's fault, so I responded to that. Also I wanted to address how the comment is different in Japanese/how it comes across in translation because other people were asking about it. Also I don't think things have calmed down yet, if I know the Smash fandom some people will be upset about this for a looooong time.

Also I feel like there's been a misconception between you and me several times now that because I make a wall of text I am very passionate about the subject, or that I'm mad at you or something. It doesn't, I'm an incredibly neutral person, certainly on internet forums. It's just that if I have something to add that seems relevant to the subject at hand I'll mention it just in case someone else cares(I know you well enough not to think you cared passionately about what is or isn't Sakurai's fault, and I certainly don't care, but other people reading might care a lot about what you were saying, and for all I knew you might have found my post at least moderately interesting), and I say it in a really longwinded way 'cause that's just how I type(as this comment demonstrates :p). I hope that clears some things up. : ) Assuming you even bother to read this in the morning. : ) And assuming it's not deleted for being off topic. : )

Groose

Smash Champion
Waluigi deconfirmed, eh? Slightly disappointing, but still pretty much expected. I guess it's still not Waluigi Time.

Reila

Hahahaha at least Sakurai knows that people want him as playable. Sorry Ridley supporters... I think Sakurai is talking about YOU!!
I really don't see what one thing have to do with the other. Comparing Ridley with Waluigi of all things? Try harder. buddy.
Tomorrow he could confirm Ridley as a hazard with the caption :
"Pic of the day, Ridley joins... Phyrosphere. Just because size don't matter doesn't mean he should be in.
lol now this was a good one. xD

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is my internet crap or is the site itself not updating?

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
You might complain about Waluigi's graphics, but does anyone remember what the feet in Skyrim looked like? The textures in Fallout? Nintendo is just getting into HD. This isn't PS4. These are good graphics for what the Wii U can do.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
gamefaqs pissed beyond belief. Heres the title for one thread:
"He deserves to be have arm injuries for this...."

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's ok Waluigi fans, technically his existence isn't even canon. Sakurai is insulting something that is imaginary in the imaginary world of video games. As ruthlessly as possible.

(Oh god please don't let this mean te Mii will get a sports move set)
Mii's only good moveset is a sport moveset :/

But, seriously Sakurai? What an asshole, if Ridley doesn't make it in this game officially sucks.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Even if Sakurai meant "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle" as a insult it wasn't even that bad of a insult. It was a little sassy, so what? Also I'm pretty sure he was referring to Waluigi himself in the caption.

Kroboats

Smash Cadet
"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle." Sorry, Waluigi, you're just from a bunch of sports titles nobody really cares that much about. Sure, you may have made for an interesting character with a unique moveset, but not enough people wanted you in! *coughwiifittrainercough*

I would have liked to see Waluigi as a playable character, but I was pretty sure this was going to happen anyway, so I didn't get my hopes up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nope, the site hasn't updated yet.

Say, why are you so worried about it, though it is admittedly strange? :p
Well I had a problem with my internet a while ago that meant that websites weren't updating so I wanted to check.

Still, why hasn't the picture gone up?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle." Sorry, Waluigi, you're just from a bunch of sports titles nobody really cares that much about. Sure, you may have made for an interesting character with a unique moveset, but not enough people wanted you in! *coughwiifittrainercough*

I would have liked to see Waluigi as a playable character, but I was pretty sure this was going to happen anyway, so I didn't get my hopes up.
Yeah, absolutely no one cares about Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis and Mario ****ING STRIKERS. And don't you dare mess with Miss Fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom