• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Since when is Rosalina a alternate form of Peach as Paper Mario is to Mario and Toon Link is to Link.

That example's absolutely stupid and untrue...
Everyone was saying that, not me.
The point is really easy: Toon Link is a clone, but the moves he has in Brawl and Sm4sh were still from his game.
Paper Mario being a clone of Mario would mean he'd use moves he never had in Paper Mario games, like the F.L.U.D.D.
He probably won't be playable, but he'll never EVER be a clone of Mario and it's really easy to understand why.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Everyone was saying that, not me.
The point is really easy: Toon Link is a clone, but the moves he has in Brawl and Sm4sh were still from his game.
Paper Mario being a clone of Mario would mean he'd use moves he never had in Paper Mario games, like the F.L.U.D.D.
He probably won't be playable, but he'll never EVER be a clone of Mario and it's really easy to understand.
Except Mario only uses 3 moves that are actually from his game. Fludd, the fire ball you get from fire flowers, and the cape, which he doesn't even use correctly.

Therefore it'd be very easy to make Paper Mario still be a clone of Mario just with 3 possible moves that could be changed IF Sakurai felt like it. =D

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like the idea of Paper Mario joining the game because there is already a "flat" character (Mr. G&W) and I think that its something that makes him unique, sharing that with another character would ruin something that makes a character special.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Except Mario only uses 3 moves that are actually from his game. Fludd, the fire ball you get from fire flowers, and the cape, which he doesn't even use correctly.

Therefore it'd be very easy to make Paper Mario still be a clone of Mario just with 3 possible moves that could be changed IF Sakurai felt like it. =D
Are you Wave Kusanagi? Just wondering.

Staarih

Smash Master
Those who have played any Paper Mario games know he's very different to normal Mario. Even just the obvious things (being paper thin and having a hammer) makes him very different. It's up to Sakurai if he wants to make him a clone but that would be very disappointing, and I can't really see Paper Mario using a cape or fire balls... but that's just me. I'm not familiar with Link/Toon Link so nothing to say about that.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't really like the idea of Paper Mario joining the game because there is already a "flat" character (Mr. G&W) and I think that its something that makes him unique, sharing that with another character would ruin something that makes a character special.
So that's what makes Mr. Game & Watch unique? Because he's flat?
I mean really sometimes the reasoning on this board scares me.
Thank God Sakurai doesn't really follow everyone's advice.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Are you Wave Kusanagi? Just wondering.
*sigh*...-.o' *points to his custom title*

Happy anniversary, Pokemon, and Red/Pokemon Trainer.

I guess the only series that warrants a character on its anniversary is Mario.
Like I said, anniversaries only count with it's on a "0" or a "5".

Sakurai just decided to be cheeky and count Brawl's to rub in the fact that he glossed about Smash's 15th. ¦)

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Did Sakurai just give Waluigi fans a sassy backhand or something?

R.I.P. Waluigi as playable. I was hoping for a different Mario Assist Trophy though. Like Daisy's Striker Crystal power.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Actually, I think I have a good idea since that cat looks very familiar. I don't recall if I've actually watched the series or not, though. ¦D
It's Nyanko from Natsume Yuujinchou or "Natsume's Book of Friends" :)

And in an effort to stay on topic, I support Paper Mario, and would say him and Bowser Jr. are neck and neck for the next most likely Mario character, although I don't think we'll see another one. I would prefer Paper Mario, though, perhaps simply because I enjoyed the original Paper Mario game. And I think it would be a nice way to represent the Mario RPGs, even though I doubt Sakurai really cares about that specifically.

If Paper Mario were included, I think he would at least have to use the hammer, and have Fludd changed. He certainly has the potential to be much more unique than that - I can't really imagine him punching and kicking like regular Mario, for whatever reason, but, hey, who knows what Sakurai would do with him.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So that's what makes Mr. Game & Watch unique? Because he's flat?
I mean really sometimes the reasoning on this board scares me.
Thank God Sakurai doesn't really follow everyone's advice.

Im not saying that's the only thing that makes Mr. Game & Watch unique, of course he has many things that makes him different of the rest, I'm just saying that being flat is one of the (various) things that makes him different (Are there any other flat characters on Smash?).

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
So Waluigi AT is back. Cool, I guess. =P

Does anybody else out there feel like Smash 4's visuals are lacking? Compared to what I see in Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, it seems like some of the models are just lazy....

Seriously, this is the Wii U, not the Gamecube. Isn't it about time that we use actual geometry to show distinct fingers, and not texture? I know Assist Trophies always have slightly crappier models than playable characters, but seriously... At the very least, use a bump map to fake the form.

I know this game is still in development, and I know the characters are pretty small on screen, but I'm still feeling a bit disappointed at this point. But whatever, graphics aren't everything. And the game will always look much better in motion than it does in stills.

Last edited:

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
"Pic of the day. Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

Uhhh... Ouch? Is this saying Little Mac will be the only AT to be made playable?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I feel sorry for WAA's fans, though it was pretty inevitable.

I'm not sure what Sakurai means by that comment though. It sounds like a jab towards his fanbase at first glance, though it could be a nod towards Waluigi's character.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
As far as Paper Mario goes I'm one of his biggest supporters, but I've accepted the fact that he's most likely not going to make it in since his main gimmick (being a 2D fighter) is already taken by G&W.

Plus after seeing how Rosalina turned out I think she was the better choice as far as Mario reps goes.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Does anybody else out there feel like Smash 4's visuals are lacking? Compared to what I see in Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, it seems like some of the models are just lazy....

Seriously, this is the Wii U, not the Gamecube. Isn't it about time that we use actual geometry to show distinct fingers, and not texture? I know Assist Trophies always have slightly crappier models than playable characters, but seriously... At the very least, use a bump map to fake the form.

I know this game is still in development, and I know the characters are pretty small on screen, but I'm still feeling a bit disappointed at this point. But whatever, graphics aren't everything. And the game will always look much better in motion than it does in stills.
There is more to a game than graphics, He is probably more worried about online actually being usable this time around over increased polygon counts on ATs that might not even appear during matches. Remember ATs have to be constantly ready to be loaded along with Pokeball Pokemon, so it can be a lot of strain on the system and whatever they can do to prevent lag I am okay with. Also a zoomed up still of a game doesn't do it justice I am sure.

RODO

Smash Ace

Actually I was looking at this and thinking about how good it looked for some reason. If you ignore Waluigi's fingers it looks pretty damn good imo.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So... some people call Sakurai cool, others call him mean....

I think that was a little harsh... but I loved it hahahaha.

Aggressive Sock

Smash Rookie
Actually I was looking at this and thinking about how good it looked for some reason. If you ignore Waluigi's fingers it looks pretty damn good imo.
The visuals DO look great, just not for Assist Trophies, which is perfectly acceptable imo. As was stated above, the data for items etc. needs to be loaded in an instant, during battle, so nobody should be expecting much in that regard. However, in terms of character models and stages etc,, it all looks really great. HD makes a big difference. DKC:TF, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8...this is on par with what we've been getting.

I wasn't expecting Waluigi to make the cut, so no surprise there. I could easily see another version of Mario being included though...which Paper Mario would have to be a front runner in that regard.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So... some people call Sakurai cool, others call him mean....

I think that was a little harsh... but I loved it hahahaha.
People act like they were owed something. I saw some folks even mocking his injuries and stress, but this is exactly why he has stress. In all honesty, this was a nicer way to go then months and months of speculation and looking for purple pixels or getting a picture with a joke caption. It is good to get it out of the way and answered in my opinion.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Its like everyone ignored the models till now. Its more glaring with Links tunic. It clips and stretches all over, I mean **** look at the jagged edges on the skirt of the tunic.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
There is more to a game than graphics, He is probably more worried about online actually being usable this time around over increased polygon counts on ATs that might not even appear during matches. Remember ATs have to be constantly ready to be loaded along with Pokeball Pokemon, so it can be a lot of strain on the system and whatever they can do to prevent lag I am okay with. Also a zoomed up still of a game doesn't do it justice I am sure.
I know, I did say that in my post. =P

Though I don't think polygon counts are an issue with online play. The resources are only loaded locally. The issue with online was the fact that packets of input information wasn't being efficiently transferred between players. The number of polygons is irrelevant to how well online play behaves, as models don't get sent back and forth. So the only valid concern would be performance on the individual machines.

I dunno, I'm not convinced that they can't do better with some careful optimization. The models in 3D world and Mario Kart 8 are ridiculously smooth compared to some of the models in Smash 4, and I'm willing to bet it's because Sora and Namco are as willing to put time into optimization.

Its like everyone ignored the models till now. Its more glaring with Links tunic. It clips and stretches all over, I mean **** look at the jagged edges on the skirt of the tunic.
I brought up Link's ridiculous leg clipping from day one. As well as DK's grossly slender fingers. =P

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
People act like they were owed something. I saw some folks even mocking his injuries and stress, but this is exactly why he has stress. In all honesty, this was a nicer way to go then months and months of speculation and looking for purple pixels or getting a picture with a joke caption. It is good to get it out of the way and answered in my opinion.
I don't think you understand. People aren't so much upset that Waluigi wasn't included. (Well, some are, but that's not the big issue)

They're upset and feel insulted because of the way the caption was worded. That's the problem.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think it's cruel at all, he's simply stating that even if a character might try hard there's more to being a playable character than just that. It's not a problem at all, especially since it obviously refers to Waluigi specifically, and not his supporters.

Aggressive Sock

Smash Rookie
I don't think you understand. People aren't so much upset that Waluigi wasn't included. (Well, some are, but that's not the big issue)

They're upset and feel insulted because of the way the caption was worded. That's the problem.
I believe people are just over-analyzing and misinterpreting the intended tone of the caption. Why would Sakurai blatantly insult fans? He was more than likely aiming it to Waluigi's character and personality trait. Fans of the character just give themselves blind hope, to the point that they set themselves up to be let down, thus the feeling of insult is their own fault. I can get behind Shy Guy being a playable character all I want, but at the end of the day, it's up to me and only me to keep my own expectations and emotions in check. Sakurai merely revealed an assist trophy, while giving everyone a comfirmation in the process. That's nothing but good. It sucks for the fans of that character, sure, but just like anyone who seriously hopes a C or D list character makes the cut, you can't honestly expect their chances to be in your favor.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't think it's cruel at all, he's simply stating that even if a character might try hard there's more to being a playable character than just that. It's not a problem at all, especially since it obviously refers to Waluigi specifically, and not his supporters.
I believe people are just over-analyzing and misinterpreting the intended tone of the caption. Why would Sakurai blatantly insult fans? He was more than likely aiming it to Waluigi's character and personality trait. Fans of the character just give themselves blind hope, to the point that they set themselves up to be let down, thus the feeling of insult is their own fault. I can get behind Shy Guy being a playable character all I want, but at the end of the day, it's up to me and only me to keep my own expectations and emotions in check. Sakurai merely revealed an assist trophy, while giving everyone a comfirmation in the process. That's nothing but good. It sucks for the fans of that character, sure, but just like anyone who seriously hopes a C or D list character makes the cut, you can't honestly expect their chances to be in your favor.
But again, the problems lies with the wording. Even though he may not intend it one way, that doesn't stop it from being perceived that way due to the words chosen and the timing. If that wasn't what he meant, he should've chosen his words differently.

The fact that people possibly misunderstood his statement due to his poor word choices is not their fault. It's his.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Meanwhile I can't even get the new picture to show up. I hit refresh like a million times so it must be a server problem. Anyone else in Scotland having troubles?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Meanwhile I can't even get the new picture to show up. I hit refresh like a million times so it must be a server problem. Anyone else in Scotland having troubles?

Here you go. I tried uploading it to a different spot. Can you see it now?

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Say, is the Japanese caption any different from the English one?
Google Translate:
"One piece today.
Assist figure, his reappointment Waluigi!
...... That means, although I'm not a fighter. You can not compete by making thoughtless."

..... I think its the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom