• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something like this is sure to have drawbacks of some kind. I imagine that it will have some combination of having a lot of ending lag, doing less damage the further up the pillar a person is hit. not being able to block projectiles, being easy to roll around, etc. It's kind of like a reverse thunder only I think the hitbox is only right in front of Palutena.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Finally a Palutena picture. :)

That Up Smash is awesome; clearly the drawback is vulnerability from the back. I wouldn't worry about it being game breaking.

Heavenly Light is a very interesting attack; great range but no flinch. It'll probably be amazing for racking up damage.

I'll admit, I was a little disappointed by Palutena at first, but I'm warming up to her Smash iteration.
She seems like a ranged powerhouse, and I like it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Team, if you want to beat Swift Fox.
You create a program that will ping the specific pages for HTML meta changes/updates (or just regularly check to see if the site changes 'manually') and just have it routinely doing that (once every second if you're extreme, once every 5 is probably sufficient) and then maybe you'll match someone who's probably done something very similar =).

Either way, we don't need to see the thread talking about Swift Fox being the first every day, please.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Thanks fpr keeping me informed friends.

I'm so happy about today's PotD. Two very unique moves. I wonder what Palutena's standard specials are. Surely she'll have a set that CPUs and Online players always use. Heavenly Light is a unique move - I wonder if she can move while she casts it, or if she's stationary.

I'm also guessing that that U-Smash has a huge amount of ending lag to cater for its range. Risk and reward.

She's certainly shaping up to be interesting... all she needs is some expression!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
In this thread, people talking about an up-smash with high range making Palutena high tier or making the move OP...

Completely forgetting that Lucas also had an up-smash with high range AND high power and was not high tier, and the move was slow enough that it was not OP.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
In this thread, people talking about an up-smash with high range making Palutena high tier or making the move OP...

Completely forgetting that Lucas also had an up-smash with high range AND high power and was not high tier, and the move was slow enough that it was not OP.

>It was not OP

Ok you are definitely lying man. Lucas' up-smash was the epidemy of scary, that move has a distorted hitbox that goes on farther then the animation suggests, could hit you even if you didn't touch that pk ball thing, and with the range of the hitbox you could easily get bodied. Plus people could dash a little with it like squirtle's Up smash.

When I was using Lucas in a 2vs2 match it was me put against 2 when my teammate died, one charged up smash took them both out at the same time. Don't mock that scary and annoying move.

The speed of that move never really nerfed it that much. A brawl lucas with spacing could easily get you, also edgeguarding potential was scary because it could hit you in like 6 places all around lucas, even if your not in the ball of energy that is seen in the animation.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Lucas's up-smash has a range about the size of his body, and he was short. This up-smash is like, six Lucas'... They don't really compare. Pikachu's Thunder is a better comparison for range, but that's a special.

It was beastly strong though. I miss Lucas :'(

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't know if I can call something like this overpowered without knowing other things about it besides having a big range on it.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
I think its safe to say that the Up smash will have some cons. Maybe it takes long to dish out, or the beam moves upwards from the floor slowly, or maybe it's just straight up weak. If there are no major cans then this move will be pretty broken.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Oh cool, Palutena pics at last! Her up smash looks pretty powerful, especially if it has knockback with it.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In Palutena's reveal trailer, she used her USmash on DK, sending him up into the air, but not causing that much knockback.

I'm not sure how much damage DK had taken beforehand, so for all I know he could have been 0%.

But I think that low knockback would be a good balance for its incredible range.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Pic of the day. I talked about an attack with a far reach in yesterday's post, but it didn't compare to Palutena's up smash attack! No joke, it reaches really far. It reached so far in this shot that even the rocketbarrels got blown up.

That said, if we're talking just about range, even that can't beat Palutena's power, Heavenly Light. It has quite a damage field. However, this is a no-flinch attack, which means the opponents won't react to the damage!
The heaven light is good

But the up smash

WHAAAAT THEEE HEEEEEECK.

something tells me palutena is going to be taking meta knights place on the tier list.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
What? A picture of a new character that I'm not as interested in personally?! FILLER!!!!1!!!!1!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, Plautena is LOOKING pretty OP, but I feel like in reality she'll be pretty UP.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Seems like she'll be more spacing oriented than even Rosalina...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What if the move has like 20+ frames start up?
What if the move really has no follow up potential? Doesn't kill?
What if the move has omega amounts of ending lag? Low damage output?

We don't know anything specific yet. I can talk about a "comparable" move
Meta Knight's (grounded) Shuttle Loop.
About 2/3rds or slightly less the height.
It's an Up-Special rather than an Up Smash. Meaning that it has a lot more versatility in being able to be also used in the air. But it still retains the ability to be used out of shield (WHICH in Palutena's case is GOOD)
6-8 frames start up (in other words, very fast). Game play footage hasn't given any indication of it being fast/slow, right?
Came with invincibility. Smash attacks rarely have invincibility (Yoshi is the only one?)
Sent MK into the air but would otherwise auto cancel upon any landing. Varying its ending lag to the point of near non existence, but could be cancelled near instantly and send MK to the ground very quickly, to the point that it was actually a HARD to punish move in that situation. For the most part the vulnerability of the move was extremely low. Smash attacks are not necessarily always laggy, but they tend to be slower than tilts/jabs.
Due to these circumstances it could be comboed out of. We don't know Palutena's mobility, but following up could be hard, Falco shooting a laser at you from the other side of the stage doesn't guarantee any follow up.
It was also a solid kill move. This could be a kill move based around a sweetspot (the higher the stronger?), but that's all speculation, we don't know.
It's damage was quite minor. Smash attacks in comparison tend to do a damage, so we'll see.

Now there's a relatively large list of aspects to Meta Knight's shuttle loop that makes it bona fide b-b-b-b-b-b-rooooken, and we have no indications this Up Smash is anything similar in capabilities (hopefully Sakurai has learned his lesson).

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Team, if you want to beat Swift Fox.
You create a program that will ping the specific pages for HTML meta changes/updates (or just regularly check to see if the site changes 'manually') and just have it routinely doing that (once every second if you're extreme, once every 5 is probably sufficient) and then maybe you'll match someone who's probably done something very similar =).

Either way, we don't need to see the thread talking about Swift Fox being the first every day, please.
I wanted to know how to do this so that I could make an app that updates every day with the latest smash bros pics. But now there's already a few apps out there that do this.
But the creators of the app surely have to check daily in case there is more than one pic revealed, right? I mean, how does it know where to find the other pics of the day? Or do the creators just update their app immediately after the pic is revealed after they see it? Or did they make web surfing robots that seek out the pics? Web programming is beyond me.
I'm currently using the 4smash app by wayateam, which gets its data from the smashbros-miiverse website which gets the pics from miiverse...

Anyway looks like Palutena willl fill the void where Ivysaur and Snake's aerial defense attacks used to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though there are probably some major drawbacks we're not seeing at this point, these kinds of attacks outright scare me as someone who favors getting in close and personal from the air.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Mii too.

:D

Nah, I like Miis.

And yes, Palutena is very volnerable from behind here. But then again, aren't Palutena, ZSS, etc, Always that? *banned*

Prediction! Tomorrow will have a brand New Stage, Item OR Assist Trophy.
I've been guessing an Assist Trophy since E3. Probably hoping to get the inevitable Magnus, Tingle, or Shadow assist out of the way...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Meanwhile, I'm sort of frustrated that we still don't know what the default special attacks are.
Maybe Heavenly light is one of them? I agree completely though- we should know the standard ones.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad we finally got Palutena information (right as most people stopped predicting it, classic Sakurai). That is some pretty insane range on the attack, especially for a Smash Attack. She seems a little more interesting than before as her reveal trailer didn't get me very hyped for her. Hopefully future move reveals will continue to make me more interested.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm more worried than anything. She's really beginning to look like the Meta Knight of SSB4. Not gonna lie.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm more worried than anything. She's really beginning to look like the Meta Knight of SSB4. Not gonna lie.
Could you please elaborate? Oh, and Kirby looks to be back at 64 status as well. :p

Anyways, on today's pic, I'm sure we're all flabbergasted by dat range on Sweet ****ing Palutena's Up Smash! Not even the Mii Gunner's got game on that. Looks like her zoning game, especially against aerial-based characters, is going to be huge. Makes me wonder if charging the Smash will do anything spectacular.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Could you please elaborate?
Well as of right now I can't say quite yet that she is (first we need to play as her first). But she seems to be a quick character with a ton of range and power. A bit too much for my tastes.
It could just be me being paranoid. But I just have this gut feeling that this is not gonna end well.

Oh, and Kirby looks to be back at 64 status as well. :p
Which helps this theory.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Remember Palutena's reveal where her Down Smash (wings on both ends)? She recovered so slowly from that it wasn't even funny. Probably the same thing goes for this one.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Well as of right now I can't say quite yet that she is (first we need to play as her first). But she seems to be a quick character with a ton of range and power. A bit too much for my tastes.
It could just be me being paranoid. But I just have this gut feeling that this is not gonna end well.

Which helps this theory.
From her trailer, it seems as though she definitely isn't a powerhouse, and her attacks are all over the place in speed, but they usually have quite a bit of end lag.

I wouldn't be surprised if Palutena ends up being a zoning based character, with her answers to pressure / OoS options not being so amazing.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
From her trailer, it seems as though she definitely isn't a powerhouse, and her attacks are all over the place in speed, but they usually have quite a bit of end lag.

I wouldn't be surprised if Palutena ends up being a zoning based character, with her answers to pressure / OoS options not being so amazing.
I dunno. Maybe I just need to wait till we have either a bit more gameplay footage or we can play as her ourselves. But until then I can't say much in terms of weaknesses.

For people worried about Palutena being the next Meta-Knight look up Dormammu in MvC3

[collapse=Dormammu]
[/collapse]

They look like they may have very similar gameplay. Palutena's up-smash actually looks like Dormammu's moves where he channels energy from the bottom of the screen to the top. If that is the case Palutena will have incredible range and some very devastating attacks, but will be cripplingly slow in every regard. Very little combo potential and creeps like molasses when running. In fact, the two moves in her reveal trailer that show her speeding forward make sense in that regard; she may have to use her forward special to get anywhere fast. Probably using her forward special to get out of danger far more often then attacking. Like Dormammu, her ranged moves are going to come out just fast enough to keep an opponent busy, but if she slips up or the opponent memorizes her attack pattern she's done for.

I am really interested to see how a character like this will play in Smash.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's kind of strange to see everyone accusing Palutena of being the Meta Knight of Smash 4.

Meta Knight's OPness (don't say that out loud) came from the knockback and speed of his moves (both ground and aerial), and the fact that every special was extremely useful and could be used as a recovery.

Palutena has none of this from what we can see. If anything, the lag and seemingly small knockback of this move should ring a bell and show that Palutena is pretty balanced out.
Meanwhile, I'm sort of frustrated that we still don't know what the default special attacks are.
I would say that Heavenly Light is a default, and maybe Reflect too, since she uses that in the anime cutscene in Palutena's trailer. The others are shots in the dark, but I'm guessing Explosive Flame and Warp, maybe.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It's kind of strange to see everyone accusing Palutena of being the Meta Knight of Smash 4.

Meta Knight's OPness (don't say that out loud) came from the knockback and speed of his moves (both ground and aerial), and the fact that every special was extremely useful and could be used as a recovery.

Palutena has none of this from what we can see. If anything, the lag and seemingly small knockback of this move should ring a bell and show that Palutena is pretty balanced out.

I would say that Heavenly Light is a default, and maybe Reflect too, since she uses that in the anime cutscene in Palutena's trailer. The others are shots in the dark, but I'm guessing Explosive Flame and Warp, maybe.
Plus we've seen moves like this before, Pikachu's thunder is pretty similar in concept, even if this beam is quite different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom