• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Also, pretty excited. Toon Link, having customizable moves, probably has access to Fire and Ice Arrows!
Did you mean "Slightly faster but weaker" arrows and "Slightly slower and stronger" arrows?

Too bad, that's what's gonna happen anyway!

Question: would you rather these 12 customisable specials, or a roster of 60 - 70ish characters.
70 characters easily.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
We learned two things here. One is that Sakurai has no confidence in the balance of the various custom special moves. Two is that whoever translated the caption today wasn't aware that appalling has a negative connotation in English.
That's not the impression I got from today's comment. It didn't seem to me like he was saying he doesn't think the custom moves are balanced in respect to each other, but rather that in anonymous matches he'd rather have people know exactly what they're facing when they fight a certain character, and thus no customization. Which is actually exactly the problem a lot of people on this forum have had with customization (though not something I agree with personally).

Anyways, great to see this update! As I said a few pages back, the custom move variants are what I'm currently most interested in seeing from the POTD!

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Question: would you rather these 12 customisable specials, or a roster of 60 - 70ish characters.
Characters, not sure if I'm in the minority but I was actually upset about the custom moves thing. I much rather of had them spent that development time working on new character's moveset instead of customizable ones for existing characters that will hardly get used.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
It depends.

If the characters include Mewtwo/Ridley/K. Rool/Isaac etc, and the customizable moves are giving Luigi a dictionary to throw at people, than characters.

If the characters are Daisy, Waluigi, Lanky Kong, Ashley, etc, and the moves are Luigi's poltergust, Toon Link's leaf, Donkey Kong's coconut launcher, then I'll take the moves.

D

Deleted member

I agree; Mii Fighters were banned based on his incompetence. He could always provide a default Mii so that Mii Fighter mains could actually... oh I do not know, play as their main?

At least with custom moves he has an excuse.
Yes, provide a "default" set that may very well not be the set that the player uses for their "main". :rolleyes:
Sakurai sure is incompetent for not even attempting something counterproductive to the very purpose of the Mii Fighter.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I thought that was for stuff like smash run and amiibo
The E3 roundtable discussion or whatever gave me the impression that both special moves and equipment can be used for vs. mode and one player. Whereas items are exclusive to Smash Run and Stats are exclusive to amiibo.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I don't see why this picture is disappointing.

It just goes to show how crazy these custom specials can shake things up and how different they can actually be. Really looking forward to how they change the specials of all my mains. :D

Most likely easily edited specials vs. very hard to create newcomers...

If we did combine the time to create all these specials and put it into making newcomers, I would say he would be able to make two-three newcomers at best. :/

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Characters, not sure if I'm in the minority but I was actually upset about the custom moves thing. I much rather of had them spent that development time working on new character's moveset instead of customizable ones for existing characters that will hardly get used.
Omg, THIS right here...

In the invitational I was sooo mad about seeing the same moves of characters (That dasturdly fludd is back too, but no pros used it)
Even more mad on alot of the same final smashes to, including the still useless DK Konga Beat..
What's more sad is that they may not change moves or at least the final smashes that would make the game more unique when comparing to Brawl. (Not saying it's Brawl 2.0 though)
I just want new moves meng, that are mandatory, not customs that are "BANNED" on the aspect people play most, Worldwide mode...
I still like the idea of Custom movesets though but.. veterans need love to, not just some of them (Pit and Bowser, even though his final smash is still GigaBowser)

Good POTD either way..

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This "12 moves for each character" thing is very exciting to me. Can't wait to see which new moves my old mains have now.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Thats rediculous...... People get so hung up over warios moves not representing him...... That Tornado Punch makes no sense. was that in a DK game I never played?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I honestly really wanna see Sonic's customizable moves. Maybe it'll be stuff that'll actually fit his moveset and make him actually good.

Or maybe not because Sakurai.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I really, really don't like custom movesets.
I would've rather have only another alternate move which made sense.
Like DK's alternate Side-B should've been him throwing a barrel like in the original game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, provide a "default" set that may very well not be the set that the player uses for their "main". :rolleyes:
Sakurai sure is incompetent for not even attempting something counterproductive to the very purpose of the Mii Fighter.
What are you talking about? I mean provide a default Mii aesthetically rather than outright banning the character. Mii Fighters are banned online because they might be inappropriate, you make this notion negligible by ensuring that you cannot customize your Mii.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Unlike some people I didn't think this was boring. :D
*internet high five*

Like DK's alternate Side-B should've been him throwing a barrel like in the original game.
Well, the problem with that is it would take a considerable much bigger amount of time to do that then the current custom moveset idea.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Side B, Barrel throw? Now that would be the bee's knees.

More Iconic than the..uh..arm sledgehammer?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
One thing people dont seem to understand, is that the DK who used to throw barrels isnt actually the same DK as we know in Smash nowadawys.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Well I would assume the same developers are working on both so to some degree they are comparable because instead of doing one they could be doing the other.
Well some of the same dev time would be involved but there's just a whole lot of factors that separate them.

Adding a custom move means a new visual effect for the attack, some programing/frame changes to alter the attack's properties, and some (relatively) simple balancing tests.

New characters means a new model for each game, one of which is a detailed HD model, an entire new movelist (jab tilts smashes aerials grab/throws special moves that aren't just tweaks of existing special moves final smash), a crap ton of animations and facial expressions for being hit/grabbing ledges/running/walking/swimming maybe/jumping/double jumpy/tripping on banana peels/being hit by varous effect attacks ect. ect. ect., likely extensive research into that character and every game they've been in quite possibly including playing the games to get a feel for them, physics traits like the character's weight floatiness traction and speed, potentially working out character specific gimmicks, a new CG trailer if that character is a newcomer, likely a home stage for that character and if they're from a new series a bunch of new music, voice work which requires pick and hiring a voice actor, determing sound effects for every action, likely extensive back and forth with the company that owns the character if they aren't from vanilla Nintendo like with the Pokémon characters, little extra things that playable characters get like an end of classic mode montage multiple trophies minigames if those end up being individualized again official artwork a website page a Kirby hat ect., and most importantly a much, much more rigorous balancing process. And probably other things I'm not thinking of/not aware of.

And balancing gets a lot harder the larger your cast gets, in a fashion that's non-linear, and things tend to become a real mess when you get past 50ish characters, especially if you're adding a lot of new ones all at once. I don't think this is nearly as acute a problem with custom moves, though it still is to an extent.

To say nothing of the fact that the effect that they have on the game at large (giving each character more options vs. just having more characters overall, among other things) is just wildly different, though I guess that's what the question was addressing.

I just think it's a bit far into apples and oranges territory. Also, I really don't think cutting the custom move variants entirely would give us more than just a couple extra characters. I pretty positive there's no way we'd be getting 60-70 characters either way.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Custom movesets own. They will get used. Doesn't retract from possible newcomers. Game owns. DK owns. Playing with friends owns. I own. More options wah wah. Owns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom