• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
For unconfirmed veterans:
Meta Knight
Ice Climbers
Ike
Falco
Wolf
Ness? (This one is conflicting since he uses a bat. The reason I can see him but not Lucas is because Lucas uses a normal stick but Ness uses a proper bat and even takes up a proper batting stance. Unless he's a switch hitter, but he was always shown batting right handed. You could make a case for the YoYo as well, which he uses with his right hand.)

Sal leak:
Chrom
Shulk
Palutena
Possibly Mii

Eh, either way, I don't like this change. One of my biggest beefs with 2D fighters was that they always mirrored the sprite/modl (makes sense for sprite though). I loved how Smash DIDN'T do that.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I must admit even though we've seen this change throughout this process. It was something I never thought about until it was pointed out.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Still upset I see no White overall with Red undergarment Mario. And the Orange shades from Mario 3 better be available, too.

Cosmic Mario seems like an easy "alt" without changing up the model.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Seems like Diddy is an exception as well from watching the direct. It's because of the peanut gun. EDIT: Fox as well. EDIT2: Olimar and Sheik too.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love Bowser's and Greninja's palette swaps. I was too focused on how great they were to notice their positioning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I need to see now is White/Gold Bowser from SSBB and a shiny palette swap for Greninja and Charizard and I'm set.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i love how only one person(it was on the front page's comments) noticed that its not a simple mirror job but positioning the model to make them look mirrored
(see greninjas tounge scarf)

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Villager can take out his string shot in hand, making it a weapon. Although I did come to that conclusion when I saw his back in a video.
It could've been from an early/incomplete build. As mentioned, it was a tedious task rigging all characters to reflect this update.

The thing with Link is that he has been portrayed as Right handed in the recent Wii games. The only characters I could see the change not affecting are Samus and Little Mac.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It makes sense for characters who use weapons to not change their handedness since it's important. Lil Mac and Olimar are the exception but the stance in boxing is determined by the dominant arm so handedness is important and in Olimar's case you could say the Pikmin are weapons. Olimar is a weird case though.

Incidentally in the direct, characters that don't have any weapons whatsoever are mirrored, so I'm sure it's final. Mega Man excluded but he's a robot.

I'm curious on items though. We can assume mirrored characters are ambidextrous.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Palette swaps! Mario's is cool, Greninja's looks quite ugly imo but I'm too used to his normal colouring and shiny colouring. Bowser's looks weird but I think that's just me being too used to Melee and Brawl where Bowser is hunched over and then there's adorable Kirby ^^. Would have preferred the yellow one but blue Kirby is adorable too. Oh and the postioning thing too...I really don't care.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Marth is one of them isn't he? We saw his back.
Anyway I don't know, I never noticed how it worked in Brawl so I think it won't bug me.
Yep, Marth, Link, Toon Link, Mac, Villager, etc all lack this new feature.

I understand they did this to Bowser. Or else, when he's turned against you, you'd see nothing but his Shell. It worked without it in Brawl since he was crounched, and seen from the side.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I remember before E3 2013 that someone pointed out that it was harder to mirror them like this than rotating them but it shows more details. That's good it was kind of annoying to see the model's back when you want to see the front.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Yep, Marth, Link, Toon Link, Mac, Villager, etc all lack this new feature.
We don't know that. Not with 100% certainty.

Like IsmaR said before, previous pictures could've easily been an earlier build. I also think there won't be that many characters not affected by this change.

Either way, we don't know for sure until it's shown off, so you shouldn't try making assumptions and thinking they're 100% correct.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I know is that Marth is a right-handed swordsman, so his head pretty much has to be facing towards his own sword to avoid having his pose look very awkward.

If anything, I'm guessing that only the characters who don't possess ANY kind of tool or weapon will have his/her idle pose mirrored.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
This update is significantly better than the last two. Its nice to see a Pokemon get a full color change for once. Basing Bowser's new color on a Koopaling is a cool idea too. I also quite like the new stance changes, it shows of the characters better. I don't think it will be a huge thing in-game, but its a cool detail.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This update is significantly better than the last two. Its nice to see a Pokemon get a full color change for once. Basing Bowser's new color on a Koopaling is a cool idea too. I also quite like the new stance changes, it shows of the characters better. I don't think it will be a huge thing in-game, but its a cool detail.
Well, Mewtwo came close in Melee. It was more shading than entirely different colors, though.

Well, they aren't much different from Greninja's. I think his were dark colors so far, but otherwise, there's no difference overall in the idea. I'm glad they're using that option again.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Orange Mewtwo was GOAT and Project M replaced it with crappy mech suit. =(

I trust Sakurai to bring it back. And a green Greninja, which would be amazing.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Yay for color swaps but Ugh for mirroring XC

I hate mirroring in 2D fighting games and I was sort of sad to see it in smash. I mean it would be really annoying to see Mario hold and item and switch what hand he's holding the item with when he turns around (at least just for me XP).

It won't be too bad as long as it's ONLY for the stances and NOT for the rest of the animations. Also if they deal with item holding animation so it doesn't look like their constant switching hands, I would be totally fine with the change.

The only one that didn't bother me much was Kirby because he stands the exact same way in the newer 3D Kirby games.

Anyway just me rambling again sorry ^^;

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I watched the direct again, and you can see these mirrored stances there as well, but as others have said, it's definitely not for everyone.

So far, from what' I've seen:

Mirrored:
Bowser
Charizard
Greninja
Kirby
Mario
Mega Man

Not Mirrored:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Fox
King Dedede
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Marth
Olimar
Pikachu
Pit
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Toon Link
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

Unknown:
Sonic
Peach
Luigi

(a funny one to note is Rosalina. In all the promo pictures for her, like on the Smash Bros site, she's right handed, but in the game, she's left handed)

Of course, some of these could still change, but I believe that the mirrored stances only pertain certain characters where their actions aren't really affected by which hand they're using. Link and Samus, as an example, are historically left and right handed, respectively, so they aren't changing these characters' stances. Plus, most of the characters who are not mirrored face directly to the side anyway (with a few exceptions like Marth), so it's doesn't really affect them. But other characters, like Mario and Bowser, who primarily face the camera, but can hit with either hand, are mirrored so that you're not seeing their back half the time. This makes sense and is actually a really cool feature, and it's also nice to see Sakurai going the extra length to make sure characters who it would affect negatively are instead staying true to their character.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I watched the direct again, and you can see these mirrored stances there as well, but as others have said, it's definitely not for everyone.

Mirrored:
Bowser
Charizard
Greninja
Kirby
Mario
Mega Man

Not Mirrored:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Fox
King Dedede
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Marth
Olimar
Palutena
Pikachu
Pit
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Young Link
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

Unknown:
Sonic
Peach
Luigi

(a funny one to note is Rosalina. In all the promo pictures for her, like on the Smash Bros site, she's right handed, but in the game, she's left handed)

Of course, some of these could still change, but I believe that the mirrored stances only pertain certain characters where their actions aren't really affected by which hand they're using. Link and Samus, as an example, are historically left and right handed, respectively, so they aren't changing these characters' stances. Plus, most of the characters who are not mirrored face directly to the side anyway (with a few exceptions like Marth), so it's doesn't really affect them. But other characters, like Mario and Bowser, who primarily face the camera, but can hit with either hand, are mirrored so that you're not seeing their back half the time. This makes sense and is actually a really cool feature, and it's also nice to see Sakurai going the extra length to make sure characters who it would affect negatively are instead staying true to their character.
Why'd you list Young Link and Palutena?

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

Mirrored:
Bowser
Charizard
Greninja
Kirby
Mario
Mega Man

Not Mirrored:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Fox
King Dedede
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Marth
Olimar
Pikachu
Pit
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Toon Link
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

Unknown:
Sonic
Peach
Luigi

I think it was implemented later in the game, as developer's direct shows Bowser's back.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Cool update. I like seeing the alt colors more than the mirrored poses but both are still cool. I don't like the Bowser recolor though. I think the color of his stomach and mouth clash too much but w/e.

Mirrored:
Bowser
Charizard
Greninja
Kirby
Mario
Mega Man

Not Mirrored:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Fox
King Dedede
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Marth
Olimar
Pikachu
Pit
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Toon Link
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

Unknown:
Sonic
Peach
Luigi

I imagine that a lot of these will get mirrored, with the only exceptions being Dedede, Link, Marth, Pit, Rosalina, Samus and Zamus because they have a weapon at all times. I could also see them not bothering with mirroring characters that don't face the camera at all, like Pit, Pikachu, Sonic, Peach and the Wii Fit Trainer, since you'd still just be looking at their sides.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah early footage has everyone changing direction (even Mario), but not in the direct.

Though I'm curious if there are so many characters that aren't mirrored (and even if some of these aren't final, a lot still SHOULDN'T be mirrored due to handedness) then why even bother with this, especially if it takes a lot of work? I'm really puzzled.

I imagine that a lot of these will get mirrored, with the only exceptions being Dedede, Link, Marth, Pit, Rosalina, Samus and Zamus because they have a weapon at all times. I could also see them not bothering with mirroring characters that don't face the camera at all, like Pit, Pikachu, Sonic, Peach and the Wii Fit Trainer, since you'd still just be looking at their sides.
Little Mac and Toon Link shouldn't be mirrored. Same for gun users ala Diddy and Fox because handedness is important in carrying a gun.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I think it was implemented later in the game, as developer's direct shows Bowser's back.
Well you see his back in certain animations, like being hit or attacking, but standing still it looks like even back in the first Smash 4 trailer they had this implemented with Mario and Bowser.

Watch this:

Even in this gameplay footage from E3 2013, Mario and Mega Man both have mirrored stances when standing still.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
As long as that yellow rat loses those stupid hats, then I'll be happy.

"Pic of the day. The leg and arm positions of some characters will automatically be mirrored when facing left or right. Mario, for example, will have his chest shown in the foreground regardless of whether he's facing right or left. This was quite a tedious task, but thanks to it we can show the best features of each character even better."
I don't like that. I liked looking at their behinds!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well you see his back in certain animations, like being hit or attacking, but standing still it looks like even back in the first Smash 4 trailer they had this implemented with Mario and Bowser.

Watch this:

Even in this gameplay footage from E3 2013, Mario and Mega Man both have mirrored stances when standing still.
Mario would definetly be first priority with that, and Mega Man is a newcomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom