• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
After this mechanic change, Thunder spamming will no longer be as efficient as it was before. I think Sakurai was aware of this and made the change.

Really liking this change, as it's a breath of fresh air for yet another veteran.

RODO

Smash Ace
And then everyone remembers DI is a thing and that even though Sakurai says it combos, it probably wont.
Good, I was waiting for someone to say this. That's not the point to me, or why I'm excited about this. It's the fact that Sakurai is actually thinking about the combo game at all. If he's trying to think about combos for characters, he has to have realized that Brawl's hitstun makes it almost impossible to do any combos. It gives me hope for a more combo friendly game.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Oh, Brawl dodging and histun is coming back, this picture confirms very little hitstun.
That's cool, that's cool.
I'm not buying this now.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Oh, Brawl dodging and histun is coming back, this picture confirms very little hitstun.
That's cool, that's cool.
I'm not buying this now.
How in the world did you get that out of a picture? =/ Anyways...

Guys Sakurai says the meteor is in the thunder cloud. I'm pretty sure the rest of the bolt is going to function similarly to past games.

EDIT: On the other hand if the bolt did function the same it would have knocked Bowser away after the meteor and before Pikachu could actually follow up...maybe it's in the bolt's tip?

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
How in the world did you get that out of a picture? =/
If Sakurai said you can dodge out of a meteor and he was not in fact talking about DI (or meteor cancelling, I guess), then we are most certainly getting Brawl-like hitstun. Very sad.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i believe he was referring to dodging the actual move and avoid being meteor smashed downward I highly doubt sakurai would mention this as a combo and go through all the trouble of explaining this move all for you to be able to dodge out of hitstun before the last hit connects.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
As Sakuari generally doesn't use the terminlogy that this community uses to define certain actions, this is really too vague for me to draw any clear conclusion off of. I have to classify this as overreading another one of Sakuari's comments.

I don't think there will be a clear incidation of hitstun or impact of what is being said here until we can see more motion in regards to some of these factors or are actually able to play it.

D

Deleted member

As Sakuari generally doesn't use the terminlogy that this community uses to define certain actions, this is really too vague for me to draw any clear conclusion off of. I have to classify this as overreading another one of Sakuari's comments.

I don't think there will be a clear incidation of hitstun or impact of what is being said here until we can see more motion in regards to some of these factors or are actually able to play it.
This. Because of the way it's worded we can't really say for sure if he means you can dodge out of it, or if he just means that you can dodge the combo entirely. He simply says that "Foes can dodge", which honestly isn't enough information to draw from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
After this mechanic change, Thunder spamming will no longer be as efficient as it was before. I think Sakurai was aware of this and made the change.

Really liking this change, as it's a breath of fresh air for yet another veteran.
YES. I've been waiting for this. I just had a casual match last night, I got Thunder spammed the whole time. It wouldn't have been as bad if it hadn't had been for the two other people.

Good, I was waiting for someone to say this. That's not the point to me, or why I'm excited about this. It's the fact that Sakurai is actually thinking about the combo game at all. If he's trying to think about combos for characters, he has to have realized that Brawl's hitstun makes it almost impossible to do any combos. It gives me hope for a more combo friendly game.
Sooo..... more hitstun? I'm all up for that. Really my only BIG gripe with Brawl.

Would it be safe to say this update confirms this? ^

EDIT: Nah, we'll have to see actual gameplay. I'd trade a week of pics for one full match.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Aprils starting off great, now all we need is a newcomer in the near future. ;)

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I am loving his approach to balancing moves that were either useless of too spamable. It really isn't just a matter of making them weaker or stronger, but just tweaking them to be more... normal.

Really curious what he's doing with Meta Knight...

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I just felt Sakuari was saying the attack could be dodged before it hit, I don't think he was talking about anything else. I think it was a small side comment, not really a huge deal.

Pika's one of my favorite Smash characters, so any news is good news. Well, unless they ruin him like Kirby was ruined in Melee :(.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
. . . I actually preferred Brawl's air dodge to Melee's.
I can't tell if this update to Pikachu's move improved it or nerfed it. I'm going with Improve.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can't tell if this update to Pikachu's move improved it or nerfed it. I'm going with Improve.
I'd assume buff.
Now that it meteor smashes. Pikachu could possibly edge-guard better.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Food for thought. If Fox uses his Reflector against Thunder, does it proceed to spike you upwards?
Hmmm... doubtful, but that'd be cool?

It's really neither and both. It nerfs it's previous function, but adds/buffs a new one.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
i believe he was referring to dodging the actual move and avoid being meteor smashed downward I highly doubt sakurai would mention this as a combo and go through all the trouble of explaining this move all for you to be able to dodge out of hitstun before the last hit connects.
This. Everyone is assuming you'll be able to dodge out of the move during the combo, but I don't think that's the case at all. I think Sakurai was referring to being able to dodge the move in the first place and avoid the combo.

We don't know how the combo system or recovery works just yet, so until we get more information about that, we can't jump to conclusions. Regardless, I'm very positive about how this is going to affect the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think it has potential to be better than the Melee one, it just needs a little tweaking to make it less safe and combo-breaking, probably a cooldown of a sort.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe better hitstun would help.
That would help, and I'm not sure we'd need to touch the air-dodge after that then, but I'd still like it if it was made less safe in general so that as soon as you can air-dodge you're basically in the safe-zone.

Hey guys, this is the first time Pika's had a meteor, isn't it?
Indeed it is.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Hey guys, this is the first time Pika's had a meteor, isn't it?
Prior to this, his uair had a semi-spike on certain hitboxes. I don't know if it was the case with Brawl though. Besides that, as Wariofan said, he's never had a meteor or a spike.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm just excited that so many veterans are getting tweaks.

Can't wait for some pro pikachu to figure tout he mechanics of this move and meteor peeps consistantly with it.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I'm glad that Sakurai has decided to start showing new moves for the veteran characters, I was worried that they would be carbon copies from Brawl. It's near enough confirmed that each character is receiving a new final smash and at least one retooled move.

By the way, is anyone else feeling a character reveal for tomorrow? Sakurai has ominously waited to break the 'drought' record before random reveals on enough occasions to make me take notice.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think I've gotten to the point that I just don't expect character reveals for the PotD. Feel pretty calm about it, actually.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I think I've gotten to the point that I just don't expect character reveals for the PotD. Feel pretty calm about it, actually.
If you were referring to me, I've learnt to temper my expectations also. I'm not so much expecting a character, but by following an emerging pattern it seems like a good time to me. I won't be disappointed either way.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By the way, is anyone else feeling a character reveal for tomorrow? Sakurai has ominously waited to break the 'drought' record before random reveals on enough occasions to make me take notice.
Not that it has stopped him before, but is anything noteworthy happening tomorrow?

The drought is bound to break sometime. That is enough to keep me going.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Not that it has stopped him before, but is anything noteworthy happening tomorrow?

The drought is bound to break sometime. That is enough to keep me going.
Nope, there's jack squat tomorrow.

I think we're getting a random reveal soon, and my gut tells me it's going to be a Star Fox character, most likely Falco.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The longer the drought gets, the better the reveal will be (I think)
There is a theory that all the veterans of a series are revealed before showing off a newcomer.

So DK and Kid Icarus are ripe for a newcomer. If we get a veteran reveal before the direct which would complete a series veterans (like Ike or Meta Knight), then the newcomer could possibly be one of them as well.

Of course, all of this is just speculation, and Sakurai can prove us wrong again, but it's something to think about.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
This PofD has me hyped because I can already see Pikachu using this re-worked move in many of my future battles. PIIIIIIIIKAAAAAA-CHU! I like kicking ass with the cute, cartoon characters.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I'm glad that Sakurai has decided to start showing new moves for the veteran characters, I was worried that they would be carbon copies from Brawl. It's near enough confirmed that each character is receiving a new final smash and at least one retooled move.

That is not entirely true, since Samus' Laser Zero was seen during the E3 trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom