• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
So I'm not one for fancy maneuvers but couldn't this be used to jump with enough vertical momentum to not get hit by your own thunder(like what people already do all the time), hit the opponent with it, fastfall then immediately Fsmash backwards and hit smash them as they reach the ground? That sounds pretty effectivef. But I suck at this game so what do I know.

Also I'm not sure how much of the lightning bolt actually meteor smashes. I'm thinking it might just the leading tip of the lightning bolt which would make it WAY harder to land.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
not really digging this update, kinda boring hoping tomorrow ends the drought

foxuzamaki

Smash Rookie
Yea I'm not gonna lie, Mario Kart info was way more exciting than this. Although this is a good pic of the day imo.
Well mario kart is a ton of info all dropped at once, nothing should be more exciting than that right now

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is probably the most interesting update in several weeks. Thunder is a really big move for Pikachu, and these are non-trivial changes that don't clearly make it better or worse (my rough read is that it's a bit better this way) but do significantly change how it works. In fact, of all the "focus on a single move on this character" updates, this one pretty cleanly has the biggest implications for the metagame of the character in question.

Staarih

Smash Master
Some people aren't really into the metagame (like myself) and just battle for the fun of it without much of tactics and whatnot, but this definitely still is a pretty good pic compared to some others we've had, even if it didn't really interest me much personally.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I was stressed to death regarding the end of the drought, hoping for a veteran confirmation, but this kind of PotD cheers me up a lot.

To each their own, but personally , I find these updates more interesting than character reveals, especially when it displays an implied use or a massive overhaul to a veteran character, especially since we aren't used to seeing such changes.

I am biased though, as I do like the meta game of smash. While I do like playing with items and all stages I tend to focus on the meta game since it can be applied to all fields of playing whether it be items, all stages or not so.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
That lightning move can be considered nerfed then, UNLESS you can run off-stage, then jump back+trigger the move so it causes a lightning bolt to pretty much cover the edge while leaving pikachu safely back on the stage.

Because then you've got the best meteor smash in the game by far.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Haha, these mechanics change updates are definitely some of the most exciting for me, too. I'm the most interested in seeing how differently this game will play, and how the characters have been tweaked. A meteor smash that hits several feet above a character is certainly novel. :o

What drought are you even talking about? We've been getting PotD like every other week.
Apparently, if there isn't a character being revealed it's a drought, which honestly isn't the case. Some of the most interesting updates for me personally have been gameplay specific like the new edge grabbing mechanic.

I know it seems dull, but I still find it odd that more people aren't interested in this considering that this website was predominantly a competitive smash forum. There is a lot of detail and theory that can be crafter based on this alone.

I can say for sure that this update excited me more than Lucario or Diddy Kong, especially considering that we all know that the characters would show up. It's just pictures with no content.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
That lightning move can be considered nerfed then, UNLESS you can run off-stage, then jump back+trigger the move so it causes a lightning bolt to pretty much cover the edge while leaving pikachu safely back on the stage.

Because then you've got the best meteor smash in the game by far.
What even is Thunder -> Up Smash (one of the strongest up smashes ever).
They even showcased it in the pic.
That's like a guaranteed kill at 70%.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Quite the change to Pikachu's Down Special. It could be quite deadly for recovering players.

Jump -> Thunder and Meteor Smash sending the foe to oblivion -> Jump back to the stage

Pikachu doesn't exactly have a bad recovery, so this can't be really hard to pull off.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Easy, just jump offstage and b reverse down b right back onstage. You'll drop a thunderbolt offstage right in front of the ledge while landing safely onstage yourself.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm pretty sure we are not getting any more characters before the April Direct... maybe we will get a newcomer this month and nothing else.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What a sucky update. Well at least we got Mario Kart 8 news from Nintendo to make up for Sakurai's lack of marketing knowledge. He needs to show a veteran if he wants people to stay tuned, because all non-characters updates are worse than character ones, no exceptions.

D

Deleted member

What a sucky update. Well at least we got Mario Kart 8 news from Nintendo to make up for Sakurai's lack of marketing knowledge. He needs to show a veteran if he wants people to stay tuned, because all non-characters updates are worse than character ones, no exceptions.
Get a load of this guy.

Many of us actually like non-character updates, because Smash isn't just all about the characters, I mean what good is a good roster if it's in a horribly imbalanced and mechanically broken game with lackluster stages? Personally, I find mechanical updates, character changes, and stages much more interesting than vet reveals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Your logic is pretty much "This picture is not what I wanted/expected, so Sakurai sucks at marketing."

Last edited:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Yeah I'm totally going to forget that my most anticipated game of the year is coming out because Sakurai doesn't show me a character every day. Seems legit.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
After about three weeks of pictures that range from lackluster to completely uninteresting, we've had four fantastic ones in a row. I look forward to trying out Pikachu's new Thunder.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping there'd be a direct announced for tomorrow with all the rumors about one coming. That said, I'm not expecting a character until we get a direct (unless the April direct ends up being really late in the month). I'd like to see a move update for a vet tomorrow personally.
Hey, I got the update I wanted! That said, I'm not great with Pikachu, so I definitely used Down B to gimp vertically at low percentages, so this move change may make it harder for me to use Pikachu. That said, I'll have to actually try it myself since if it's easy to combo the move, it could still be pretty useful and just require a different playstyle.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, I'm horribly conflicted. On one hand, we haven't had a character in 41 days (a new record) but on the other hand, we've had 11 new updates in a row (another new record). Yet again Nintendo missed a perfect opportunity to promote an event with a character but simply skipped over it but, even then, the new content has been coming out full blast this past month so this doesn't feel as bad as, say, the gap between Sonic and Marth because of how hilariously dull October was with 4 new updates the entire month. Would it be all that bad if Sakurai just waited until E3 and then just buried us in character announcements then because I'm starting to think that's what they're intending to do? *watches as a Direct is announced later today and hears Sakurai's laughter ringing in his ears*

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Well, I'm horribly conflicted. On one hand, we haven't had a character in 41 days (a new record) but on the other hand, we've had 11 new updates in a row (another new record). Yet again Nintendo missed a perfect opportunity to promote an event with a character but simply skipped over it but, even then, the new content has been coming out full blast this past month so this doesn't feel as bad as, say, the gap between Sonic and Marth because of how hilariously dull October was with 4 new updates the entire month. Would it be all that bad if Sakurai just waited until E3 and then just buried us in character announcements then because I'm starting to think that's what they're intending to do? *watches as a Direct is announced later today and hears Sakurai's laughter ringing in his ears*
maybe Nintendo was too busy hyping up Mario kart 8 to think of revealing someone for vc games lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And Mario Kart was soured because it was like ''Guess who's back? Metal Mario. Because you need 3 versions of Mario in Mario Kart clearly."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even though we're not getting any vets, even the painfully obvious ones, I'm still enjoying all the new stuff.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nice pikachu update so if he's close enough he hits the enemy in the sky and afterwards a tail hit for a hit eh

So any direct announcements yetyet

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
That Pikachu buff, great, great.
How can even people think this is a "drought", we've been getting tons of news, just because there isn't a veteran it doesn't mean it's a bad month/week.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I mean, this week we got a new item, new FS, details on a stage, and Pika getting a game changer. Hell of a lot more happenin' than the silly crap we got in October

...now if only Sonic got some good changes...

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Interesting update. I've mained Pika in all four smash games, including PM so this is really nice to see. An update for him.

Going to miss vertical KO's but I've always wanted Pika to get a meteor smash. A meteor smash like this alone probably makes Pikachu one of the strongest edge guarders Hoping the hitbox that Pikachu gets after being hit by Thunder sticks. That hitbox was so strong. As well as QAC, really hoping that carries over. It made Pikachu so versatile and maneuver so easily. And maybe even the return of the tail spike.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
People seem concerned that Thunder will broken in terms of edge guarding, but I think the meteor only happens at the base of the cloud not the bolt. I like this update. Pikachu was fun to play as in past games. I just hope he can still run, jump and use thunder without losing momentum.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is a little unclear. He says that the move "starts off with a thundercloud that deals a meteor smash" then he follows with "Meteor Smashing with a lightning strike." It's a little confusing, but I think the actual lightning is the meteor smash, not just the cloud alone.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The new mechanic is without a doubt very cool but since it looks like it's going to get in the way of his infinite vertical window to star-KO opponents then he's going to have a significant chunk of his kill power displaced. That said, I hope it's a step in the right direction of developing a healthy Pikachu playstyle that relies more on zoning than low-risk spam.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
You complain about his marketing strategies like you not gon keep checkin for the updates tho. Please. If Sakurai decided to stop PotD til release everyone including you would still want game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom