• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
"Pic of the day. Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash! From left to right, you can see this combo starting with Pikachu throwing the opponent upward, Meteor Smashing with the lightning strike, and then directly attacking. Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently, but when it does, it sure feels good!"

Let's see here:

First, Pikachu Up-throw, chain into Thunder, Thunder meteors into itself, and another attack from Pikachu.

Combo of Untold Destruction?
HOLY WOW! I hope they give other characters awesome combo abilities like this, because this is FRIGGIN' AWESOME!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Thunder as a meteor makes this move go from "good" to "crazy good" as a trap move for off-stage play. I'd also point out that if you manage to hit a grounded opponent with just the bolt that it will presumably behave like all meteors behave against grounded opponents and put them into an extremely long bouncing state.

I also notice that Pikachu is doing some attack (looks kinda like utilt or usmash) there. Is that a new follow-up from the "hit by Thunder" state, or does that just now recover quickly enough to attack out of? Either way, it's an improvement given that strong Pikachu play before involved basically never letting Pikachu actually be hit by the bolt.

The downside is that Pikachu isn't getting those off the top kill set-ups anymore, but honestly, I always thought those were pretty easy to DI out of. Overall, I think Thunder is probably a better move this way... though Pikachu was already pretty good so it will be interesting to see how it pans out overall.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Wait a minute...

Oh dear goodness... I just realized that this attack has now officially been broken.

Thunder Edgeguarding. It covers the edge, and a successful hit will Meteor. Busted beyond belief.
I was thinking about this too, and my only hope is that maybe it's just the initial cloud itself that's a meteor attack. They usually have pretty precise timing in order to get them to hit just right, and I can't imagine they'd allow Pikachu to be that good at edge guarding.

This is both a buff and a nerf. Pikachu's vertical KO potential in Brawl was strong with D-smash sending opponents skyward, and the move being hard to DI didn't help either, then you just got the read on an air dodge and thunder would kill them. Now, the vertical range has been decreased, so he has to now rely on his strong U-smash instead.

Now he still has his thunder as a riot control attack in 4 player matches and in single player matches he has a meteor to force tech chases and a spike that can be used for edge guarding as well. It has so disadvantages as well; assuming the opponent DI's the attack and techs the stage he will definitely tech away and punish if possible.

I honestly love the changes being made to the attacks and makes me look forward to the changes to veterans.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Metal Mario in Mario Kart 8 gets me thinking...
He should make a return in smash bros too! He was so ominous and cool with his metal themes in 64 and Melee, but was completely ignored in Brawl. Hope he returns with some gorgeous metal stage and an awesome remix of his melee theme. Maybe a remix of 64 and melee's combined!

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
Metal Mario in Mario Kart 8 gets me thinking...
He should make a return in smash bros too! He was so ominous and cool with his metal themes in 64 and Melee, but was completely ignored in Brawl. Hope he returns with some gorgeous metal stage and an awesome remix of his melee theme. Maybe a remix of 64 and melee's combined!
He should totally be an alt. palette

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
"Pic of the day. Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash! From left to right, you can see this combo starting with Pikachu throwing the opponent upward, Meteor Smashing with the lightning strike, and then directly attacking. Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently, but when it does, it sure feels good!"
Am I the only one who noticed this part? Sounds interesting for the reads you can make, but not absurdly good like people are making it sound.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is both a buff and a nerf. Pikachu's vertical KO potential in Brawl was strong with D-smash sending opponents skyward, and the move being hard to DI didn't help either, then you just got the read on an air dodge and thunder would kill them. Now, the vertical range has been decreased, so he has to now rely on his strong U-smash instead.

Now he still has his thunder as a riot control attack in 4 player matches and in single player matches he has a meteor to force tech chases and a spike that can be used for edge guarding as well. It has so disadvantages as well; assuming the opponent DI's the attack and techs the stage he will definitely tech away and punish if possible.

I honestly love the changes being made to the attacks and makes me look forward to the changes to veterans.
Strong players basically never got hit by the last hit of dsmash. It was one of the easiest moves in the game to SDI out of on reaction due to the extended electric hitlag, and being able to do that completely changed the Pikachu match-up for basically every charcter (if an opposing Pika got a read you couldn't do that, you were in for some serious pain!). Pikachu still had some set-ups with throws and utilt, but they weren't really that hard to DI out of if you were familiar with the match-up. Pikachu could pull some strong mindgames and get the hit anyway by reading your DI and your airdodge timing, but if you were aware of the situation, it really did favor the defender in terms of "not getting killed".

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Mario Kart 8 looks freakin' awesome.

The PoTD is nice too. Brawl Minus did this change before and it's pretty damn sweet.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'm honestly not sure I like this change. I know his edge guarding will be much better with this but thunder kills pretty much defined Pikachu.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
The boomerang and pirahna plant items and updated stages are cool, didint care for the MK7 newcomers though so thats a pass. This month we really need to get some real news for theses games cause nintendo is killing the character hype.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
He says they can dodge attacks. It makes me think that brawls hit stun is returning. That would make me sad... I doubt it though. I'm pretty sure that if everyone gets combos like this then this will be the best smash game ever. Even (dare I say it)better than Melee.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Interesting change. It was very satisfying to hit someone off-screen with the thundercloud and get a KO, but that won't be possible anymore.

But perhaps it will open up more possibilities.

More importantly, Mario Kart 8 looks so awesome.

Strong players basically never got hit by the last hit of dsmash. It was one of the easiest moves in the game to SDI out of on reaction due to the extended electric hitlag, and being able to do that completely changed the Pikachu match-up for basically every charcter (if an opposing Pika got a read you couldn't do that, you were in for some serious pain!). Pikachu still had some set-ups with throws and utilt, but they weren't really that hard to DI out of if you were familiar with the match-up. Pikachu could pull some strong mindgames and get the hit anyway by reading your DI and your airdodge timing, but if you were aware of the situation, it really did favor the defender in terms of "not getting killed".
Yeah SDI'ing the attack wasn't too much of an ordeal, but it to an average player it can appear to be aggravating. To stronger players it played into the players favor at high percents as you can SDI then neutral tech to punish . At one point I remember walking into my opponents D-smash to deliberately set my opponent up as Marth so that I may tech the hit and punish with a tipper aerial or D-smash since it covered more options.

Either way, this is an interesting update, and I believe that that last hit is when the thunder strikes Pikachu, but it also looks like Neutral Air. I do know that when the thunder collides with Pikachu in mid air he flips in a similar fashion. Maybe it works the same on the ground now .

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
One move that I think did not need a buff. Bowser looks completely broken when he's thrown up into the air too.

Still a neat pic, but don't really agree with the change, it was already a good trap to set for people when they're off-stage.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
0.0 omg...is that a...a Pikachu update? -puts on glasses so that I can adjust them to pretend that I need to get a better look at the potd-...omg...it IS!!! Here I've been hoping for Wolf or Ganon, not expecting a single change to Pikachu and Sakurai just throws this at us...if we get either Wolf or Ganon soon I think I might die...trying reeeally hard right now to contain my hype..........OMG PIKA BUFF!!! I have such a strong urge to use that off stage now :3 Sakurai, if you can read this...and read English for that matter, then thank you so much! ^^...kay...I'm going to bed now, need to calm down...

Edit: Also, as far as I can tell, Pika is using his up smash then thunder then the meteor smash kicks in and then it's one of four things
-the ending of thunder which means both the meteor and the horizontal hitbox connect
-another up smash although it looks different than the first pic and different than Pika's up smash from the other games
-up tilt which seems likely since his tail is big and Bowser appears to be being launched upwards a bit
-a throw, most likely forward throw though his forward throw has never looked like that

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure I like this change. I know his edge guarding will be much better with this but thunder kills pretty much defined Pikachu.
Yeah, at second glance this does bug me a little. Perhaps the spike works like other spikes such as toon links down air and has a finite amount of time to hit the spike. Killing off of the top doesn't seem to be possible but the cloud hitbox could very much be what is used to kill from uptop, and judging from the distance it may prove to be difficult and you 'll have to use multiple jumps.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pikachu update! It will be one hell of an edgeguard though. Not sure if that's better than it being able to continuously knock players upwards until they go past the upper blastline.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think this is the insane buff people make it sound like.

The bolt clearly lasts a heck of a lot less, which is by itself a nerf.
In Brawl, it was almost impossible to air-dodge a Down+B due to how ridiculously long the attack lasted.

Here, it looks like it lasts the same as a SSB64 thunderbolt.

I like the change. It might make me pick Pika up, although PM is the only game where I play as him.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
On-Stage:
-Pikachu's thunder can no longer be used as a kill move so he'll have a much harder time killing vertical considering his only other vertical kill move is up smash.
-Usually when a player hits someone with thunder they jump out of the way so that they don't suffer the hitlag from being hit by the bolt of lightning but now since opponents will by flying down it might actually position you away from the opponent and you'll back to square one or if they fall to the ground they might just tech roll away.

Off-Stage:
-This will possibly be the greatest gimp move in the game with thunder edgeguarding.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Wow... pretty interesting! Does this mean Pikachu can attack out of being hit by the bolt now? Could set up some really interesting combos if that's the case.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
And then everyone remembers DI is a thing and that even though Sakurai says it combos, it probably wont.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that the difference between this game and brawl will be like the difference between ssb64 and melee.

It's gonna rock!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
How dare all of you talk down upon info involving my main. D :<

But seriously, this is awesome to me! Though, like many said, it's disappointing not be able kill people at the top, but any reason for my main to become bigger and stronger is good enough for me. <3

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, it says "Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash!" Makes me wonder if the actual lightning bolt will still be a normal hit like it currently is and the meteor effect is only if the opponent is at or near the cloud when the bolt first comes out. Either way, definitely a cool update. Loving that Sakurai showed off a new combo Pikachu can perform, makes me feel like he is making combos a focus again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom