• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Japanese doesn't have articles and they don't distinguish definiteness (they don't distinguish between "a stage" and "the stage"). The presence of "the" is a result of the translation, and if the translator is only working off the image and caption, he wouldn't know whether to use "the" or "a".

Plugging the Japanese text into Google Translate gives something which is ambiguous between the two possibilities in English ("but this is also fighting stage"). It sounds a little bit more like the meaning "it is a (fighting stage/multiplayer stage/Vs. Mode stage)" but like I said, Japanese doesn't make the same distinctions we do, so it could also be "one of the fighting stages" for all I know.

Thinking too deeply about the English captions can be a mistake. But especially with regards to grammatical distinctions, since Japanese does not make many distinctions that English does (and vice versa). I wouldn't read too much into things like tense or plural vs. singular etc. unless it's clear from the picture or the Japanese text is unambiguous.
wow didn't know that actually japanese sure seems a very special language

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it's more that English has alot of extra rules and grammar functions then alot of languages do.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope tomorrow they announce the Direct for Thursday.
Everyday it's starting to become Thirstday.
Each drought has been gradually longer than the last which, like I talked about the other day, makes me think that this is all intentional.

Luigi to Peach----35------Sonic to Marth-------37--------Diddy to ???------39------Marth to Rosalina--------40

Who does Sakurai consider notable enough to break the longest drought yet?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Each drought has been gradually longer than the last which, like I talked about the other day, makes me think that this is all intentional.

Luigi to Peach----35------Sonic to Marth-------37--------Diddy to ???------39------Marth to Rosalina--------40

So, the day after tomorrow we'll break the record? Perfect time for a Direct which will never happen

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
There will likely be a direct on Thursday, as hinted by gamexplain and that on news site that leaked that there will be 4p Grand Prix in mk 8

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I liked the new pic... even though I have no clue what it's from. Also a direct on Thursday would be awesome. Moreso if Isaac got confirmed.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
More like Palutena or Chrom!

Not to detract from the current conversation, but seriously, some of you speculators make me disappointed for the stage potential of this game! If Wii U/3DS are just going to repeat Brawl's stage types, I will be considerably disappointed. I hear things about side-scrollers (Mushroomy Kingdom), top scrollers (Rumble Falls), or transitioning (Castle Siege). Hell, the 3DS already has two cruiser stages with Rainbow Road and Prism Tower. Besides Skyloft, I can only imagine the Wii U getting one more through F-Zero and I dunno what that means for the 3DS stage for that series.

I want to see Palutena's Temple bring a new function to the Smash series. Why not make parts of the stage destructible so that you can access different areas or have the stage descend by going further down it? As long as there would be KO points for that last one, however.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Yeah, that might be the case. Although it worries me a bit if it indicates Ike's return.

I'm rooting for The Mila Tree or Naga's Cradle for Wii U. They could nod to Fire Emblem Gaiden and point out to Awakening (hey, we got an Uprising stage in reference to the NES Kid Icarus games).

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'd hope Micaiah was in for Radiant Dawn. Having Marth, Chrom and Micaiah would be best. Marth for the series and Chrom and Micaiah for the newest handheld and console game respectively.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

All of those increase by 2-3 days....

I'd bet on a character being revealed on Thursday or Friday, but this is Sakurai we're talking about...so yeah.

EDIT: Wait, it was 35 + 2, then 37 + 3, so maybe 40 + 4? Now I'm just over-thinking it....

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Can we all just agree we're due for a Direct and stop getting hung up on the lack of veteran reveals lately?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It will continue until something is revealed one way or another... last about a week before the clamouring for the next reveal starts over again.

juddy96

Smash Lord
At this point, you just gotta go with what's happening. Moaning about lack of characters isn't getting us anywhere. If everybody got what they wanted... yeesh. Point is, there's really no need to break the drought unless it's a new character or something else big. Because the drought is so long, Wario/Yoshi/insert predictable character here just wouldn't feel as satisfying then if had a come at a random time where a character had been revealed 2 weeks earlier.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This week I feel something. If there is a Direct, I'm betting on Palutena. Then, later in the month, the Ice Climbers. And that will be our April update.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well today's pic dose bring a lot of questions that are still unanswered ^^;
I have 2 ideas on what the pic might show:
1. This might be more of the Palutena's Temple stage and the spring could be a place holder for a KI styled Jump Pad
2.This might be stage builder with a KI looking theme to it

Oh well can't really be sure, but I do hope we see the newer stage builder soon because if this pic is a custom stage it looks like a major leap from Brawl. Also I could imagine we might at least have some more Nintnedo news this week . . . hopefully <:3

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
wow didn't know that actually japanese sure seems a very special language
Lots of languages don't make that distinction. Some other large languages without an equivalent to "the" are Chinese, Russian, Korean and Hindi.

It's not really weird to have them but it's not weird to not have them either.
I think it's more that English has alot of extra rules and grammar functions then alot of languages do.
Not really. Articles and distinctions by definiteness are pretty common. They're found in Western European languages, many African languages, Arabic, Polynesian languages, etc.

Japanese has many politeness distinctions which basically have no equivalent in English. You can show politeness in a number of ways in English, but we don't inflect verbs or nouns to show politeness. We don't use different pronouns to show politeness. In Japanese, if you're talking about say, three of something, you must use an appropriate classifier. You have three cylindrical-thing pencil, but three bird-thing chicken. You can't just say three pencil, or three chicken.

If you think Japanese grammar has fewer rules and grammatical distinctions than English (and thus will be easy to learn) you will be sorely disappointed.
tbh, french is WAY more complex than english seriously it's easier for me to learn english than complex french which is my first language.
I doubt that. English is relatively easy for you since English and French are pretty similar, but there are plenty of tricky aspects of English grammar. I'd be seriously surprised if you use articles and prepositions in English better than you do in French, since that's an area that foreigners have a lot of problems with (and there's not really a simple explanation as to why you use one or the other a lot of times). Also, English speakers tend to be more forgiving of mistakes by foreigners than, say... French speakers are ;)

This is getting off-topic, but as a linguist I feel compelled to reply to such things.

But the takeaway is that Sakurai's comments shouldn't be overinterpreted in English, particularly if some grammatical distinction is being examined since it might not correspond to anything in the Japanese text.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I hope this has to do with the stage builder, and the spring isn't just an item replacing the purple one.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
if this is stage builder, i'm glad we will probably be able to use a touch screen to make construction go faster.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
So Link doesn't hit enemies with his sword in his games?
I didn't even look for context when I liked this. The fact this even needed to be asked was enough to make me laugh.

Uh, I think Link's Final Smash is lame but not because it's irrelevant (it is relevant.) It's mainly that it seems massively taken out of the Zelda series context and it's so generic in what it does despite that. A good game element has room for interactivity and counterplay and Link's Final Smash has nothing going for it outside of being a one-shot burst attack. Luigi's Negative Zone was clearly made up as they were going along and despite being gimp it's at least interactive and changes the game up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom