• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
is this really that big of a buff it sounds like it would be hard to get hit by it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Another Diddy buff? Like if he needed more... :dizzy:
While i don't agree with Diddy getting buffed either, we have to consider something- From Melee to Brawl, we lost wavedashing, a mechanic used in a way it wasn't supposed to. From Brawl to 4 we could lose glide tossing. Glide tossing is THE reason Diddy is so good. Being able to chain bananas and combo into d-smash is an important function of his game and if they remove that, he might need buffs. I'm trusting Sakurai with this one.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
While i don't agree with Diddy getting buffed either, we have to consider something- From Melee to Brawl, we lost wavedashing, a mechanic used in a way it wasn't supposed to. From Brawl to 4 we could lose glide tossing. Glide tossing is THE reason Diddy is so good. Being able to chain bananas and combo into d-smash is an important function of his game and if they remove that, he might need buffs. I'm trusting Sakurai with this one.
can i ask what guide tossing is?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
This is what I'm thinking. Other than Diddy (and the somewhat questionable Marth Shield Breaker buff) Sakurai seems to be focusing on characters who needed changes. If he's buffing Diddy, then to me that suggests that he must've found a need when trying him out in this new game. That or he's trying to divert attention from how he was used to how he now can be used given different tools and strengths. Obviously I hope it's the former.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Brawl Diddy didn't have glide tossing how hard would he fall down the tier list? He still has arena control and good damage racking right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Brawl Diddy didn't have glide tossing how hard would he fall down the tier list? He still has arena control and good damage racking right?
Pretty far. I'd argue that he'd get knocked to maybe Sheik's level, so lower middle tier. His offstage game is risky, his air game is okay,and his recovery is super predictable. He doesn't have a lot of dependable kill options either which is part of the reason why glide tossing is so important to him because it opens up opportunities to actually use fsmash/dsmash/fair, Glide tossing makes the main strategy of Diddy stage control so, without that, he's kind of mediocre.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pretty far. I'd argue that he'd get knocked to maybe Sheik's level, so lower middle tier. His offstage game is risky, his air game is okay,and his recovery is super predictable. He doesn't have a lot of dependable kill options either which is part of the reason why glide tossing is so important to him because it opens up opportunities to actually use fsmash/dsmash/fair, Glide tossing makes the main strategy of Diddy stage control so, without that, he's kind of mediocre.
I guess that's why Diddy's got Lanky's Arms now, to make up for the loss of reach.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Why are people complaining? It's not even that much of a buff, in fact I think it barely changes anything.

This attack doesn't seem have a big hitbox compared to most of his attacks, plus, why do people act like it's the end of the world even though they state by themselves that this will be rare? not only that but it probably means that this will damage Diddy, so it could punish overcharging, it's not like sheilds are THAT easy to break anyway.

I too think that it would be better to hear about the weaker characters, but either:
  1. Sakurai doesn't care about our tier list, he could still be aware of it and know about the weak characters, but he doesn't have priorities based on it.
  2. Maybe character buffs aren't as interesting as an explosion on an attack that previously did nothing, like,this is more interesting than Mario's first jab now dealing 1% more.
But anyway, don't forget that Sakurai is in the balancing phase, he isn't finished.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'd argue of the offstage game a bit, but this hits all the main points. Without glide tossing, Diddy's subpar. Glide tossing let him maneuver quickly around the stage while dealing damage with naners and allowing follow up into combos. Now image if Diddy didn't even have the bananas. That's basically what we'd be dealing with. I know he'll still have them and throw them, but by the time you recover from your trip he'll only be able to dash attack you to pick them back up or follow up with basically only a throw. Or maybe short hop fair or bair. But even still, he needs the reach buffs without glide tossing. Today's pic is going to be a rare occurrence anyways, so it won't matter too much.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Welp, all but one Friday this entire year has shown something new so the odds are in our favor for tonight. I can already see all the "god is dead" posts if pic isn't something significant and character related. Things are getting tense around here...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sakurai especially derped the balance on Brawl. At least Melee had Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, and to a degree Jiggs and Cpt. Falcon. Brawl has Metaknight. And Metaknight. Did I mention Metaknight? And if you want to argue, i'll give you Diddy and Ice Climbers for good measure. Melee had double that number though. Brawl's competitive scene was, "Hey, do i really want to watch the third MK ditto in a row?"
Did I even insult Melee...? I just said that balance has never been the focus on Smash and that I'm glad everyone will be able to play as their favorite character now. That number of 'playable' characters on Melee can also be considered horrible since that's not half the roster.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Obscure? Maybe.
Pointless? No.
This could means big things for Diddy. Having a better KO move and all.

But I do agree. Almost all the buffs we've been hearing are on characters who don't really need them.
It's pretty pointless if it takes as long to blow the gun up as it does in Brawl. If you thought it was hard landing a Warlock Punch, well ****.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Oh, really? Guess you're right, only time will tell. Imo glide tossing won't go but who knows.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Bleh I'm no fan of things like glide tossing, wavedashing and l-cancelling. I guess it's just because the game doesn't tell you how to do any of it so it feels unintentional, especially glide tossing and wavedashing. Reminds me of a sorta-kinda joke me and my cousin say. "Nintendo doesn't know how to make a fighting game".

Anyways, neither glide tossing or wavedashing or any of that kinda stuff is in the potd so to stay on topic I shall 'predict' that we get a veteran tomorrow and that it will be Ganondorf ;-;

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'm the only one satisfied with this week so far?

First we got redesigned Smash Ball, that was presented well. Kirby looked adorable trying to get it and Luigi was getting ready for the end of the Year of Luigi. (;_; )
Then on Tuesday, we got a comprehensive run through of the 3D Land stage with four pictures. The stage looks REALLY fun.
Yesterday graced us with the best picture in the world. (OK I know many people here are like "ONLY THE GAME MECHANICS MATTER" but seriously she looks amazing and the internet's reaction was amazing. I'll stop fanboying now).
And today we got a game mechanic tidbit (making it up to those who really see yesterday's pic as blasphemous).

And then we still have to get tomorrow's. Honestly, it's a good week. Better than last week, IMO. We can have a good week without a character reveal, you know.

Wish it wasn't too late for me to post my edits of yesterday's pic, though.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
And then we still have to get tomorrow's. Honestly, it's a good week. Better than last week, IMO. We can have a good week without a character reveal, you know.
This week isn't bad or anything, but you seriously think its better than 2 new stages, a returning item, a Wii U trophy, and a Zelda buff? I guess you did say IMO...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The week is still great anyway

1 smash balls redesign

2 seeing aproxamently the whole stage of the mario stage

3 a rosalina picture with no teeth

4 diddys charge too long got aa buff its a OHKO if a character is close enough

Well this is the last chance no wario tomorrow then that means are character for march is going to be a random reveal just like marth (but it can still be random on friday)

Last edited:

G-K

Smash Cadet
Bleh I'm no fan of things like glide tossing, wavedashing and l-cancelling. I guess it's just because the game doesn't tell you how to do any of it so it feels unintentional, especially glide tossing and wavedashing. Reminds me of a sorta-kinda joke me and my cousin say. "Nintendo doesn't know how to make a fighting game".

Anyways, neither glide tossing or wavedashing or any of that kinda stuff is in the potd so to stay on topic I shall 'predict' that we get a veteran tomorrow and that it will be Ganondorf ;-;
IIRC L-cancelling was promoted on the official SSB japanese page, so it's obviously intentional.

Anyway, Project M-like peanut popgun explosion, huh?... sounds good.
Hopefully the arc the peanuts travel in is also more Project M-like.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Let's get back onto the MiiVerse picture and discussing about tomorrow's pic instead of wave dashing, glide tossing, and other Melee techs. Or any Melee talk in general.

∧( 'Θ' )∧

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This week isn't bad or anything, but you seriously think its better than 2 new stages, a returning item, a Wii U trophy, and a Zelda buff? I guess you did say IMO...
2 new stages we hardly understand right now. This week gave us a comprehensive understanding of a rather huge stage.
This week ALSO had a returning item, and a far more significant one at that. Showing the Smash Ball, coupled with his teasing quote, gives hope for Final Smash pics being on their way.
I'm indifferent to the Zelda buff, and while I'm pretty indifferent to the Diddy buff too, it's a bit more interesting and the picture was at least kind of amusing.
The Wii U trophy pic would have been better if it wasn't just literally ripped from a Wii game. An updated model of an old character in trophy form (Epona, for example) would have made it much better.
And yesterday's Rosalina pic was just the best thing to me.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
thou

thought you hated project m?
lol well...I don't hate it anymore! :D I feel like it's more of an extended Brawl mod than Melee with a Brawl skin. Also, it also works as an easy way to get custom stages and custom music on the game without doing weird things like Ocarina or GeckoOS codes. I still don't agree with some of the changes they made to some characters and the fact that you can't grab the ledge backwards, but I still think it's a little better than Brawl, and certainly much better than Melee.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Did I even insult Melee...? I just said that balance has never been the focus on Smash and that I'm glad everyone will be able to play as their favorite character now. That number of 'playable' characters on Melee can also be considered horrible since that's not half the roster.
I wasn't trying to attack you, sorry if it came off that way ^^;

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Doodes, less Melee, more Miiverse Pic Prediction/Discussions, or Mods will be mad and then very sad. :p

Ok, third day in a row I say this. Wario for Tomorrow!

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I wasn't trying to attack you, sorry if it came off that way ^^;
lolmisunderstanding
No worries, we should DEFINITELY see something good tomorrow, I mean, Rosalina's chest wasn't bad, but this day's picture certainly was.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Y'know what? I don't want Wario tomorrow. I want a picture of Samus using her final smash and then the reveal of Zero Suit Samus. Because that way it's still a new character, and we'd get a final smash picture like Sakurai eluded to earlier in the week.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nice to see that Diddy Kong's peanut gun going kaboom now damages other players.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with explosions, right? :smirk:

Anyway, character tomorrow or no character tomorrow?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Nice to see that Diddy Kong's peanut gun going kaboom now damages other players.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with explosions, right? :smirk:

Anyway, character tomorrow or no character tomorrow?
Character. Dammit. If not, I am still sure it will be something pretty good, as Fridays have been lately. ^^

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I don't know anymore what character will be revealed until we get a direct.
Everything will be random from now on! The only thing that might happen is Ice Climbers for NES Remix 2 in Japan and Metaknight for US Triple Deluxe just because Japan already has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom