• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit East (Standings before championships are complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojoes

Smash Ace
alright, just checking that it's still rolling, and i agree, imo from just skimming Viper's thread, since he can't go later, it appears the 19th would be best for him to hold it, not to mention it'll be a replacement tourny for Midwesterners that can't attend FAST and doesn't conflict with anything else. Jesse and I among others opt for more circuit events, i'm trying to find a venue or somewhere so i can try to help out, but i wouldn't count on anything.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Alright, I will let everyone know right now that WTON is still going to happen. We have an emergency venue already in place in case our last places do not work. So don't fret anyone, we will still hold this on July 26th. I would let Viperboy take this date, but the only problem is that I would not be able to get another date until late-August to mid-September, which is something I'd really like to avoid. Just keep watch on our thread.

Kel

Smash Master
I just talked to Viperboy and his best date would also be the 26th of July. He's going to check early tomorrow to see if his venue is for sure still available.

Blueblade, if you could run a tournament in September that would be amazing. Everybody is wanting to run their tournaments at the end of July and Early August. I love having tournaments to go to every weekend and all, but it isn't good for circuits because people have to travel far and can't afford it every weekend. I'd like to keep the events separated by at least a month.

So ViperBoy will take July 26th. Rofa is Mid August and Bowyer has expressed interest in a september tournament, but I think he's changed his mind

So if blueblade still wants to hold a tournament between VB and Rofa's tournaments I'd encourage everybody to go still (I know GUNPPUNCH! would). But it wouldn't be a good idea to make it a circuit.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
That shouldn't be a problem. My only problem with holding it in September is that my class schedules can be quite hectic and may not be able to hold it, all depending on assignments and whatnot. Has there been a date decided as like a "championship" circuit date? If it is still possible, my classes dont start till August 25th, so is August 23rd open? If not, I'll get a date in September, possibly Labor Day weekend, which I believe is August 30th. September 6th won't work since I'll be in Cincinnati for 2 Cubs games. So... yeah, I'll figure it out.

Kel

Smash Master
Well when you're in Cincinnati you should hang out with GUNPUNCH!

But let's aim for mid september at earliest since Rofa's is August 16th.

Thanks for being so cool about everything Blueblade!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can we get this stickied?

Also, I'll sign up to run one in October if you don't have that month booked up yet. Tentatively 10th-11th (fri and saturday).

Also, if anyone in Cincinatti can score a venue, I'd be willing to come TO a tournament there. My good buddy just moved down there and I'll be in the area often. If you know of a good place, PM me. I'll get my friend on finding a venue as well, and we can plan for a late fall event there in like november or early december.

nojoes

Smash Ace
Can we start getting updates and a little more organization with this, if any help is needed i'd be willing to take the thread over, mimic the set-up of the East Coast. We look like a bunch of chimpanzee's, they actually got all their **** together.

(Here's the east coast regional circuit if you'd like to take a look)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175544

Doctor X

Smash Lord
We need a Cincinnati event on this. I'll take it upon myself to host it, maybe in September when I'm back in school.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
We need a Cincinnati event on this. I'll take it upon myself to host it, maybe in September when I'm back in school.
september already has a MWC event, WTON, the TheBlueBlade is putting on at my venue.

I dibs'ed october. You might want to claim november. I'd come out for that one I'm sure.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Novemeber would also be the championships, I believe, so that'd be nice.

Having a tournament in december = canceled due to snow 100% of the time

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I'm about 90% sure that OU(Athens, Ohio) will throw a tourne fall quarter (so anytime between sept to Nov).

Just so peops know.

nojoes

Smash Ace
I think circuit events should be placed 3-4 weeks apart regularly rather than just designated to months, even though it nearly falls that way as it is, just some months may have a double by chance. Maybe that's crazy, what the hell do I know about running a circuit =P

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
If november is the championships, would ya'll want to use my venue for that date rather than october? I could feasibly handle about 100 people, although I doubt I could house more than 40 indoors, which would leave only camping space for the rest.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You'd have ot talk to Kel about it; your venue has an advantage in that it can basically be scheduled whenever. October tournaments may be scarce, we dunno yet. If Dr. X or I can find a venue in the northern kentucky / cincinnati area it may influence decisions XD

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
My location is also sweet because it's central to the midwest players. Any indiana, illinois, ohio, or michigan player can all make it within 4-5 hours driving. Compare that to chicago, ann arbor, or cincinatti, which are all kind of on the outside edge of where most of our players are coming from. I'm right in the middle of all the good players.

Also, my sig...

Kel

Smash Master
Yay sticky finally.

Dastrn, your place may be the best venue for the championships. It's more centralized and is a good venue. Let the Cincinnati crew talk it over and search around for a venue and we'll get back to you on it. I'd like to have a finalized schedule asap so that events like WG's tournament and Blueblade's being pushed back won't happen anymore. Sorry again for all of this everyone; we shouldn't have any more turbulence.

Viperboy's tournament is in a week! This **** is going down and is going to be awesome! If you haven't started playing Brawl yet, now would be the time to do so.

nojoes

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity how will you share financial report and records. May I see them at championships or how will that work? Not calling you out on pocketing anything or the other, just wondering.

Tink

Smash Hero
heh, i would like the championships in IN =). that would be amazing. better then the 5 hour drive to cinci.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
So if that was to work out, then we'd be looking at a Cinci event in October?

I have a lead on a venue there already. I'll pursue it a little bit more this week and try to get you (Kel) the info.

Kel

Smash Master
Out of curiosity how will you share financial report and records. May I see them at championships or how will that work? Not calling you out on pocketing anything or the other, just wondering.
I plan on having a paper that I will take to every circuit event and have each tournament organizer sign and date. I haven't decided if the best way to go about it would be to have each organizer hold onto their extra pot or if I should just keep it (with the notary paper) and stock pile it until the championships.

Any recommendations or qualms with this?

nojoes

Smash Ace
no qualms, just wondering. we need more events imho though. people need more money to travel more often, we should start a drug ring. (sarcasm for anyone who didnt catch it)

Tink

Smash Hero
ha ha haaaa......but ya, we do need more events! step your game up Illinois(really chicago though)!!

nojoes

Smash Ace
ha ha haaaa......but ya, we do need more events! step your game up Illinois(really chicago though)!!
tink, why dont you host? =p

i got vidjo to host a circuit up in cleveland and our venues going to be **** good.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kel, I recommend that you hold onto the circuit money along with a ledger keeping track of where it all came from. I'd pick up a locking cashbox from walmart to keep it all in, and label it MWC with a silver sharpie or something.

Otherwise, it might be difficult if one TO from one event doesn't make it to the final event, and can't find a secure way of getting the cash to you.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Kel, I recommend that you hold onto the circuit money along with a ledger keeping track of where it all came from. I'd pick up a locking cashbox from walmart to keep it all in, and label it MWC with a silver sharpie or something.

Otherwise, it might be difficult if one TO from one event doesn't make it to the final event, and can't find a secure way of getting the cash to you.
yes

And I would put it in a bank account after every tournament so it's safer.
no

Just keep it all in a lockbox; the kishes did as such and it worked out fine. Just make sure when you go to a tournament with it that me, sliq, Dr.X, and the TO all know where it is so we can keep an eye on it and not leave it alone.

nojoes

Smash Ace
depends where in Wisconsin and when, if it's southern Wisconsin and around october 31st then i'll come =P

Kel

Smash Master
I'll probably make this into a poll once I figure out how;
How would everyone like championship payout to work? The last circuit did 60/30/10 but they always said they wanted to give 4th place something. I've always been for more evened out pots, but I'd rather see what the community would like.
40/30/20/10 ?
50/30/15/5 ?
Just keep 60/30/10?

Give me some ideas so we can figure out what's best for everyone.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I prefer 60-30-10 personally, but if the finals hits like 70 people or more (which it probably won't) then I would think paying 4th would make sense.

In that case, 50-30-15-5 works.

I might have to withdrawal my offer to host the finals. It's looking more and more like I'm moving to Phoenix at the end of September. I'll keep you posted. I'll know for sure by next week sometime.

Also, have we decided on the championship tournament structure yet? I have an idea that worked really well for us in the Indiana Poker Tour (which I led for 2 seasons in row only to choke in the finals).

Basically, we keep points from our events, and decide on a certain number of players (the top 10% or so) that automatically qualify for the final event and get a free seat. Everyone that doesn't auto-qualify shows up to a qualifier, which we can do the same weekend as the finals at the same place, and plays for their spot. The auto-qualifiers don't play in this event, but might as well show up and watch.

If we give 6 people their spot based on their points, we can open it up for another 4-6 spots in the playoff tournament. That gives us 10-12 in the finals. We could basically do round robin for that tournament, with the top 4 players doing a single-elim bracket to seed 1-2-3-4, with a third place game for the losers of the first round.

This whole system does a couple of really positive things for us:
1. Rewards performance over time.
1a. (which increases performance at all circuit events)
2. Gives the constantly 5th-9th place performers a tourney that they could potentially win (the playoff.)
2a. (which is good for morale.)
3. Gives us a TON of good matches that should ALL be recorded between the best players in the midwest to show the other regions what we got.
4. Rewards the players who not only can make it through a double elim bracket during the season by beating 2-3 players of a lower caliber, but also can consistently perform against the top 10 players in the midwest.

Thoughts?

KishSquared

Smash Master
4th gets their money back, then 60/30/10 for the rest.

The nice thing about the Championship is that a lot of people make money. 1st - 4th gets cash paid to them, and points winners take home nice amounts too.

lain

Smash Master
How many points must you win to take home cash. Is there a difference making points in doubles or singles?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Singles points are given to you, Doubles points are given to your team. To win $, you must be in the top X in points. What X is, I dunno. Maybe top 3, maybe top 4, I dunno, it's up to Kel. Just win a lot.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Don't fro it up and play Snake. Goof off and learn to read your opponents in pools, then step it up in singles. Not the other way around. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom