• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mid-South Power Rankings (AL, AR, MS, TN) - Updated: 6/20

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
why are people nominating people who hate brawl?
I think it's because even if you don't like brawl, you can still make a clear understanding of who's better than others at the game. I don't like Vitrua Fighter 4 or 5 but I still can see who does better majority of the time, and don't mind watching the fights in the game being played (doesn't meant I'll play it though).

Edit: Chamberline's a hoss in Melee ;). I wouldn't mind playing u some more sometime.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i guess. it just seems that alot of the people who hate Brawl hate it because they think anyone can be good at it and that consequently a PR list wouldn't be accurate or necessary

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i guess. it just seems that alot of the people who hate Brawl hate it because they think anyone can be good at it and that consequently a PR list wouldn't be accurate or necessary
Someone should probably ask those people how they'd feel about being on a panel.

Roxas Org XIII

Smash Apprentice
Im just saying he is hosting a tourney in cabot yet doesnt travel to the big tournies in memphis which have most of the good players in the region at.... how can he vote on the Power Rankings if he hasnt seen half the people play.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I know we asked Chad and he doesnt want to. Dang, I should have asked spaceballs today because his internet is down.

CCCP

Smash Journeyman
Nite- Yessir!

Iori- The resolution is usually determined at the end of the adventure. With the problem solved, there's no more reason to continue the quest. He only knows the answer after he's done what it is he decides to do ^^

Nite

Smash Champion
This is not the reason I hate Brawl. I don't HATE Brawl, I just don't prefer to put effort into it to play it competitively.

And I gave it a shot. I've only entered one Brawl tournament, but it was enough to convince me not to take the game seriously anymore. It's definitely not because random people can beat good people. The tourney results were:

1. NES
2. Nite
3. Iori
4. Chad?
5. VTS?
5. Chamberlin?

I believe that was the top 5, but it shows that there are obviously better players than others even in Brawl. Just like Melee, people will consistently place high, so it does take some skill and practice.

I just dislike a lot of things about Brawl. Which I'm sure a lot of you know the things that most people don't like. (Tripping, auto-sweetpotting, etc...) I won't get into that. The main thing is the lack of hitstun and all the camping. Sent me straight back to Melee.

That was a big explanation, but I guess that sums up why I wouldn't want to be a panelist for Brawl. Being a Melee panelist was cool while it lasted. But we don't need power rankings since everyone knows who the good people are eventually. If you stay consistent and place high, then you'll get recognized.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
This is not the reason I hate Brawl. I don't HATE Brawl, I just don't prefer to put effort into it to play it competitively.

And I gave it a shot. I've only entered one Brawl tournament, but it was enough to convince me not to take the game seriously anymore. It's definitely not because random people can beat good people. The tourney results were:

1. NES
2. Nite
3. Iori
4. Chad?
5. VTS?
5. Chamberlin?

I believe that was the top 5, but it shows that there are obviously better players than others even in Brawl. Just like Melee, people will consistently place high, so it does take some skill and practice.

I just dislike a lot of things about Brawl. Which I'm sure a lot of you know the things that most people don't like. (Tripping, auto-sweetpotting, etc...) I won't get into that. The main thing is the lack of hitstun and all the camping. Sent me straight back to Melee.

That was a big explanation, but I guess that sums up why I wouldn't want to be a panelist for Brawl. Being a Melee panelist was cool while it lasted. But we don't need power rankings since everyone knows who the good people are eventually. If you stay consistent and place high, then you'll get recognized.
I pretty much agree with everything you have said here. I played in Lance's Tournament and had fun but i just dont see the competitive scene like i saw Melee's. I hate camping thus im probably gonna phail at Brawl. No johns though. There is just so many Cons to the game in my eyes.

Handorin

Smash Hero
The easier question would to ask, who would want to be a panelist?

I wouldnt mind, I like the game. While I dont agree with everything in it, I feel it doesnt take away from the competition. People say it's random? It's not nearly as random as things such as Poker, but there is huge competition in that.

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
People say it's random? It's not nearly as random as things such as Poker, but there is huge competition in that.
Oh. You stepped in **** on that comment <3

Can you tell me why in a poker tournament of 3000+ entrants, there's always a pro or two at the final table.

With that many people entering, the percentage of pro-poker players at a tournament is less than 10%.

With a 10%/90% pro to scrub ratio, you're telling me that out of the 300 pros there, 2 of them will get lucky enough to make the final table nearly every single time?

That's ridiculous.

Poker is probably the deepest competitive game I have ever come across, luck plays a small part in the game, but skill is far more important.

Nothing personal, but please don't try and compare Brawl to poker.

It'd be like me comparing Brawl to a Madden game, which I know nothing about.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I feel most card games are luck at what cards you get. Enlighten me on how it takes skill then. I know little about card games (other than ERS) other than that you shuffle 1+ decks of cards and hand out cards.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
the pros wear x-ray eyepatches, DEERRRRPPPP

obviously you don't get to pick your first five cards, but then you have to decide which you want to put back, do probabilities in your head (probably the hardest part), know what combinations best other ones, read your opponent while keeping your poker face... just... just go play a poker game, hando. x_x"

Handorin

Smash Hero
Sorry I dont know all the working of it. And since I never do it for money (kinda...bad at school), then it doesnt matter what you do.

Kyo Kusanagi

Smash Ace
You guys seemed to forgotten about the bloodline. Sheesh, I have a cell phone now you know. We're ready for any event you guys can throw at us. Contact me at (901)503-4479 and please help to keep me updated.
I might have a place in memphis for us.

@An new line has been brought to the table. I want everyone to know this.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I'm bored, anybody feel like Brawling online with me tonight?

Bros Friend Code: 0645-54448-0358

Hit me up on Cell Phone @ (404) 246-2048 if you need me, I'll be playing all night.

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
@Hando- Dude. First of all, the only poker i've played besides Hold 'Em is Stud, but i'm speaking mainly about holdem because that's what I know.

Poker isn't craps or a slot machine.

Knowing what size bets to play, how people react, watching how certain people play from different positions as the button goes around, calculating the pot odds and implied odds of a pot in your head and whether or not it would profit you to call after making those calculations, I could go on...

Watch this video and see how this guy just knows the cards that people have because he's so ****ing good and pays attention to behavior patterns.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WO8k47_lP0M

I still kinda think you might have to know a little about the game to fully appreciate that vid though...

Edit: btw, I won $40 playing poker after closing hours at work tonight =D

Nite

Smash Champion
Zero has stolen Nite's account!

I feel most card games are luck at what cards you get. Enlighten me on how it takes skill then. I know little about card games (other than ERS) other than that you shuffle 1+ decks of cards and hand out cards.
Lol, MIT Blackjack Team.

Lance- Don't rock slots, man! =P

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Oh. You stepped in **** on that comment <3

Can you tell me why in a poker tournament of 3000+ entrants, there's always a pro or two at the final table.

With that many people entering, the percentage of pro-poker players at a tournament is less than 10%.

With a 10%/90% pro to scrub ratio, you're telling me that out of the 300 pros there, 2 of them will get lucky enough to make the final table nearly every single time?

That's ridiculous.

Poker is probably the deepest competitive game I have ever come across, luck plays a small part in the game, but skill is far more important.

Nothing personal, but please don't try and compare Brawl to poker.

It'd be like me comparing Brawl to a Madden game, which I know nothing about.
There is wayyy more luck in poker than there is in Brawl. Freaking Don Cheadle eliminated Phil Ivey in a tournament one time.

Both games are competitive. He wasn't arguing that Poker is a scrub game or takes no skill. He was arguing that a game with random elements can still be competitively viable. Like Poker.

EDIT: well looking at his posts, maybe he wasn't arguing that. but that's what I'm arguing.
I play poker a bit too. It's sort of easy to win at poker because there are soo many poker scrubs running around. it def takes skill though. and so does brawl

Handorin

Smash Hero
That was what I was arguing at first, but it kinda got changed around.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I agree with Janitor; while poker does require a great, great deal of skill no one can argue that sometimes, the cards come down perfectly and some one that isn't skilled at all can knock out some one that is a much, much better player. It happens quite a bit.

I guess in many ways tripping is analogous, but people seem to complain much more about that than some one hitting an inside straight on the river; go figure.

I like Brawl. I know it's not ever going to be as competitive as Melee, there are virtually no set combos and edgeguarding is almost non existent, but it's fun. A less competitive, rigorous fun, but still fun.

Nite

Smash Champion
If there is so much luck involved in poker, why do we constantly see familiar faces at the final table? Luck may win you a hand or two from time to time, but if you aren't good at it, the better players will take you out eventually. You can't say that's not true.

Handorin said he doesn't know much about card games, so I won't hold it against him. Him as well as some of you probably think you understand the game when you really don't. To the average person, it looks like "Oh, 5 cards and the person with the best hand wins. Easy enough." Not the case at all.

Iori- Nice montage man! Good memories. The community makes the trips all worth while. <3 "Nite cuteness" Hahaha

Edit- Didn't read Lance's first post. He basically said what I said, but it's true. You can't deny the consistency of the pro players. I don't see how people can argue that.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I'm not arguing consistency, but sometimes, every once in a while, a pro gets a horrible playing hand while some amateur gets a straight and goes all in. That's why at the final table, there's always a pro or two instead of all pros. I'm not saying it only depends on luck (which is what I said in my post), but there is luck, and sometimes one hand does it.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
@Lance and Nite: don't even both arguing with Virgilijus. He likes to play Devil's advocate and/or get into arguments where he doesn't exactly disagree with you, but his stance is far enough from yours where he always wins just because you don't disagree with him on principle. Its very frustrating for me because I'm very argumenative and even though I might be right, he's right too and as the argument is drawn out to length, I come to realize they we actually agree on the basics and we're just arguing semantics.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Why do you see familiar people and people in general at any sort of competition?

Large amounts of stupid people who like to give away money for some reason to one of the select few who are sure to win.

Yes, that means I like giving Iori free money whenever I go play smash.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
@Lance and Nite: don't even both arguing with Virgilijus. He likes to play Devil's advocate and/or get into arguments where he doesn't exactly disagree with you, but his stance is far enough from yours where he always wins just because you don't disagree with him on principle. Its very frustrating for me because I'm very argumenative and even though I might be right, he's right too and as the argument is drawn out to length, I come to realize they we actually agree on the basics and we're just arguing semantics.
BATMAN IS A SUPERHERO NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY! >:^(

*throws a brick at Tom*

And yeah, we both were in agreement for the most part.

Nite

Smash Champion
Why do you see familiar people and people in general at any sort of competition?

Large amounts of stupid people who like to give away money for some reason to one of the select few who are sure to win.

Yes, that means I like giving Iori free money whenever I go play smash.
I think in comparison, more dumb people will shell out 10-15 dollars to lose their money to Iori than a $10,000 buy in for the World Series. (Guess there are rich idiots too though)

Virg- I've never seen somebody at the final table that was just terrible at the game. If you make it to the Final 8, you didn't just get lucky the whole time. As far as people knocking out pros, that's not uncommon. Upsets happen in every game/sport. You can't expect it not to. And to your argument about a pro getting a terrible hand and some random going all in? Why would a pro keep betting with nothing? If the other person is just a scrub, it'd be pretty easy to tell what he has by the way he is betting. If you don't have anything and this guy you've never seen before is going all in, I wouldn't take that chance and call him with nothing. Too risky of a bluff.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
All I'm saying is that a pro can dominate some one on the flop, have them all in exactly where they want them and sometimes the fool gets lucky on the river and some how wins. Pros themselves admit to somedays being lucky when they go on a tear (Phil Helmuth's famous line "I can dodge bullets, baby" is a further testimony to that)...somedays it goes against them.

In Brawl you can dominate a stock, trip and them get f-smashed. Were you unlucky? Yes. In many ways it's analogous. That's all I'm saying other than BATMAN ENDED UP DESTROYING BANE, TOM! :)

Top Bottom