• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Ball Z-Jan 23-Waterford MI MELEE CONFIRMED

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
too much hyrule when every stage in smash 64 ***** so hard

edit - m2k

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
gio its gonna be a 64 singles tourney not crew. brawl and melee will have crews
should and i think smash 64 should he like a $2 entry since its a side

also if anyone wants to do yugioh (lol) i will bring my deck :) ive been wanting to know who duels in MI accept for me jcav and dogma

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I'm not really used to stage striking lolz. I'd say like 70% of all competitive 64 matches are on hyrule
Stage striking won't be hard in Smash64 since there are exactly 5 useable stages lol.

too much hyrule when every stage in smash 64 ***** so hard

edit - m2k
Truth.

also if anyone wants to do yugioh (lol) i will bring my deck :) ive been wanting to know who duels in MI accept for me jcav and dogma
How about I proxy up an old Type One Magic: The Gathering deck and I'll play your Yu-Gi-Oh deck and multiply my damage by 400 to make it even?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Gates, Vintage MtG decks win on turn 1 and not all of those wins even involve damage. Of the ones that do, like a third of them deal infinite damage anyway. You trying to hustle Ori here?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ Boxxy

Oh that's nice that the money is going to Haiti. This will help my parents (and probably others too) be more comfortable with letting us go since we can say it's for a good cause XD.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Does that mean that m2k's coming to this now? Also omg I wanna d-d-d-d-duel
if u r serious bring ur deck rainer my birds will eat u
Stage striking won't be hard in Smash64 since there are exactly 5 useable stages lol.

Truth.

How about I proxy up an old Type One Magic: The Gathering deck and I'll play your Yu-Gi-Oh deck and multiply my damage by 400 to make it even?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'd like to duel, but my cards are way out of date and unless you play unstrategically, I will most likely not be able to win with my skillz. Lol. Well they're not outdated as in like the first "set" of cards. I have a water deck / soul (remove from play) deck with stuff like Terroking Salmon (or something spelling like that) and Legendary Ocean and stuffs. Lol I'm talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! in a SWF forum. Oh well.

Also, would anyone like to team with me? I don't suck and I'll do my best.

Btw about when will this end? With about 20 people going, I'm guessing a bit shorter than ORI's previous tournaments... but then again I don't know how long we can stay at the venue and whether or not we'll stay to the latest time possible. But would it be safe to guess that Singles will end at around 8 pm?

And if this is "successful" (which i'm guessing means that if it does better than bad?), will you really likely be able to get another one in a couple months? Cus otherwise I'll spend more time worrying about whether or not I should do Doubles or Singles or either if at all XD.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
lol Ankoku.

The percentage of type one decks that consistently kill turn 1 is very small actually. And the ones that are designed to consistently kill turn 1 fizzle half the time and lose to things like your opponent playing a card.

And they don't do infinite damage, the most they can do is cast every instant and sorcery spell in their deck twice with Yawgmoth's Will and probably all the artifacts 4 times each if they Hurkyl's Recall themselves twice and they can play Necropotence 3 times if they Chain of Vapor it twice, and assuming they run 2 copies of Tendrils and play them one after the other immediately before Yawgmoth's Will and at the very end of the combo, it can only do a maximum of 640 damage (multiplied by 400 is 256,000 Yu-Gi-Oh damage). That's hardly infinite. On top of that, the draw that you'd have to get to do all that on turn 1 is absurd. You'd literally have to get a nutty draw with a ton of mana and Timetwister and then get another nutty draw from the Timetwister while still having access to at least 4 mana. And you have to do all that around your opponent's counterspells.

Did you ever actually play Type One?

Roller

Smash Legend
I have Vintage manaless ichorid, as well as a ****-ton of legacy decks if you really want to play oldschool m:tg.

Also. Somebody in Ann Arbor going tomorrow. Pleeease give me a ride to this. I'll pay for gas.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
And if this is "successful" (which i'm guessing means that if it does better than bad?), will you really likely be able to get another one in a couple months? Cus otherwise I'll spend more time worrying about whether or not I should do Doubles or Singles or either if at all XD.
If this does run well, yeah its likely i'll be doing one in april and if both of these go well a possible biweekly in summer

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'd like to duel, but my cards are way out of date and unless you play unstrategically, I will most likely not be able to win with my skillz. Lol. Well they're not outdated as in like the first "set" of cards. I have a water deck / soul (remove from play) deck with stuff like Terroking Salmon (or something spelling like that) and Legendary Ocean and stuffs. Lol I'm talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! in a SWF forum. Oh well.
Bring your deck it will be fun
Btw about when will this end? With about 20 people going, I'm guessing a bit shorter than ORI's previous tournaments... but then again I don't know how long we can stay at the venue and whether or not we'll stay to the latest time possible. But would it be safe to guess that Singles will end at around 8 pm?
Uh if every thing goes smooth and we dont need to use a car for grand finals i would say 10:30-11. because we are starting singles about 80% through doubles so i hope that'll work and if we are still debating about pools boxxy if 50/50

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol car. Ok I see. It's just that I have exams this week so my parents would be happier if i came home in the middle of the evening as in like 8 or 9 pm, and not 10-11. But they'll probably let me stay anyways XD.

Honestly pools are more fun cus you can play longer, but they take more time... but then again i'm not really experienced, so may be if you eliminate a certain amount of players per pool it could actually be the same speed as a double elimination bracket?

Heh alright I'll bring my deck! Well if i can find it XD I remember i keep a lot of "side" cars to substitute into my deck too (like you're supposed to do according to the rules) but i'll just try to find my main deck for now. Heheh get ready for my no-sacrifice terroking salmon, boasting a powerful 2400 atk! (well actually like 2600 or something cus of legendary ocean's atk buff).

I always debated a lot about the rules and stuff back then cus i actually knew the rules and the wording was often times confusing XD hopefully i didn't forget too much. I'll probably need to be reminded when the phases are though... including all those seemingly useless phases that are actually very important for some cards.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Hey Soul. Good **** tonight it was fun. Mannnnnnnnnnnn so drunk right now. Just wanna wish everyone good luck for tomorrow. Except Hot Arms. Actually him too he's awesome too. Hmm...I feel the need to post more stupid shiZ but I can't. Unless its inadvertently.

<3

Jager bombs ftw.

earthadept

Smash Lord
I am mad HYPED for a legit ssb tournament!! Are you guys going to do this on VC? I'm bringing my 64. One might be enough for a small tournament.
also, m2k?? 64 MM right now son.

edit - the thing about stage striking in ssb is that in reality, hyrule is the only stage even close to being neutral...

Boxxy

Smash Lord
i think we'll have a mix tbh. I'd use my 64 on VC, but the Z button doesnt work for grabs you have to sheild grab lol

oops this was @earth's question about VC or 64 set ups.

Roller

Smash Legend
Yeah, the vintage ichorid is actually 4 proxy (bazaar of baghdads proxied) but seeing as all major vintage tournies are atleast 5 proxy...

I have all of legacy ichorid, affinity, and TES though.

Still need a ride.. bleh, probably wont be able to make it unless somebody feels like saving the day..

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol Ankoku.

The percentage of type one decks that consistently kill turn 1 is very small actually. And the ones that are designed to consistently kill turn 1 fizzle half the time and lose to things like your opponent playing a card.
If the opponent prevents you from winning turn 1 by playing a card, then he's already won. It's just that it takes longer for the game to actually end.

Yeah, I've played the format before, though not with actual paper. Vintage really isn't fun because it takes forever to build anything proper in the format from scratch and most of the established top tier netdecks work just fine anyway. Not that netdecking is even remotely fun, since the only two strategies are to hope your opponent doesn't stop your winning plan by interacting as little as possible; or, to stop your opponent's winning plan by allowing him to actually resolve anything as little as possible. Hell, the format is only being kept alive by the people who want to play with Power, as Wizards is obviously not making money from it.

Legacy is cooler.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Alright guys if you need anything call us we have our phones on hopefully

Boxxy:
248-202-2609​
Ori:
248-494-0368​
Ham:
248-819-2001​

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If the opponent prevents you from winning turn 1 by playing a card, then he's already won. It's just that it takes longer for the game to actually end.

Yeah, I've played the format before, though not with actual paper. Vintage really isn't fun because it takes forever to build anything proper in the format from scratch and most of the established top tier netdecks work just fine anyway. Not that netdecking is even remotely fun, since the only two strategies are to hope your opponent doesn't stop your winning plan by interacting as little as possible; or, to stop your opponent's winning plan by allowing him to actually resolve anything as little as possible. Hell, the format is only being kept alive by the people who want to play with Power, as Wizards is obviously not making money from it.

Legacy is cooler.
I was referring specifically to the combo decks that run minimal protection (cards like Duress, Thoughtseize, and Force of Will) and instead opt for the go for broke strategy. Normal Type One combo decks run plenty of protection to stop the opponent from playing stuff that will disrupt their strategy and tutorable answers to solve those problems if they do resolve. A lot of modern Vintage combo decks run Force of Will and Mana Drain maindeck (which I personally am disgusted by, but hey, it works) so that these situations don't come up. The general gist of what I was trying to say was that yes Type One combo is fast but the answers to it are just as fast. The general concensus of Type One combo is that it's better to be slower, more resistant to counters, and consistent, than just straight up metaknight broken.

And I like how you say "netdecking isn't fun" and "only the established top tiers are viable" and then pull a complete 180 by saying Legacy is more fun and balanced. CounterTop and Thresh completely dominate with the rest of the metagame being an afterthought. If you look at the Legacy Pro Tours you can see that there are plenty of pros who play decks other than those two and do well but there are just as many who **** with Top and Thresh. Besides, Legacy has plent of decks that can kill turn 1 too (IGG, Charbelcher, etc.) but they're not viable because Top and Thresh both run 30 counters each and they're also susceptible to all the same hate as Type One combo decks but more so because they don't have Vampiric/Demonic Tutor to grab quick answers to it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Netdecking isn't necessarily not fun. It's the deck archetypes that are not.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Sorry I couldn't come guys. I didn't get any sleep last night...stupid caffeine and the desire to think... So driving there 1.5 hours there and back wouldn't be the best idea. :( I'll probably see you all at LoLis in a couple weeks though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
well coming now will be there in 30 mins :)

was thinking of doing doubles but i guess i wont get there in time, ill just do singles so i hope you guys do pools XD

gonna bring my deck

Roller

Smash Legend
I was referring specifically to the combo decks that run minimal protection (cards like Duress, Thoughtseize, and Force of Will) and instead opt for the go for broke strategy. Normal Type One combo decks run plenty of protection to stop the opponent from playing stuff that will disrupt their strategy and tutorable answers to solve those problems if they do resolve. A lot of modern Vintage combo decks run Force of Will and Mana Drain maindeck (which I personally am disgusted by, but hey, it works) so that these situations don't come up. The general gist of what I was trying to say was that yes Type One combo is fast but the answers to it are just as fast. The general concensus of Type One combo is that it's better to be slower, more resistant to counters, and consistent, than just straight up metaknight broken.

And I like how you say "netdecking isn't fun" and "only the established top tiers are viable" and then pull a complete 180 by saying Legacy is more fun and balanced. CounterTop and Thresh completely dominate with the rest of the metagame being an afterthought. If you look at the Legacy Pro Tours you can see that there are plenty of pros who play decks other than those two and do well but there are just as many who **** with Top and Thresh. Besides, Legacy has plent of decks that can kill turn 1 too (IGG, Charbelcher, etc.) but they're not viable because Top and Thresh both run 30 counters each and they're also susceptible to all the same hate as Type One combo decks but more so because they don't have Vampiric/Demonic Tutor to grab quick answers to it.

Ok, I think it would be safe to say that you are not a tourney player. And if you are, then you don't play anything farther back than Type II or Extended. First thing I want to address is the comment about Legacy being ruled by Top and Thresh. Um. No. Just no. Zoo, Ichorid, Goblins, Merfolk, ANT, and Landstill are all still tournament winning decks (among others including TES). Legacy is by far the most diverse format right now. No contest.

Regarding vintage. Every halfway decent deck runs protection in the forms you mentioned, as well as a few others. It is a requirement of vintage. Although turn 1 kills don't happen every game or anything like that, they happen often enough that you need an answer. And turn 2 kills are extremely common, and the same answers are needed. You left out a number of cards such as leyline of the void, chalice of the void, tormod's crypt, trinisphere (not hard to play T1 in vintage), cabal therapy (in ichorid), as well as many more. No deck without defense for early turns is going to top 8 a major tourney; let alone win. Especially after sideboarding, the deck is screwed barring a god hand while your opponent has nothing but blanks in hand.

I'll be at the tourney in AA that's coming up if you want to discuss magic further/play a few.

Have fun at the tourney today guys

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I think it would be safe to say that you are not a tourney player. And if you are, then you don't play anything farther back than Type II or Extended. First thing I want to address is the comment about Legacy being ruled by Top and Thresh. Um. No. Just no. Zoo, Ichorid, Goblins, Merfolk, ANT, and Landstill are all still tournament winning decks (among others including TES). Legacy is by far the most diverse format right now. No contest.
I haven't played Magic in years and I never really was into Legacy but when last I checked about a year or two ago Top was the biggest deck to beat. Obviously it's not as dominant as, like, GAT or Hulk Flash or something, but it was still dominant.

Regarding vintage. Every halfway decent deck runs protection in the forms you mentioned, as well as a few others. It is a requirement of vintage. Although turn 1 kills don't happen every game or anything like that, they happen often enough that you need an answer. And turn 2 kills are extremely common, and the same answers are needed. You left out a number of cards such as leyline of the void, chalice of the void, tormod's crypt, trinisphere (not hard to play T1 in vintage), cabal therapy (in ichorid), as well as many more. No deck without defense for early turns is going to top 8 a major tourney; let alone win. Especially after sideboarding, the deck is screwed barring a god hand while your opponent has nothing but blanks in hand.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? I'm confused.

Anyway, amazing tourney, shoutout when the results thread is up.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Fun Stuff Guys glad you all came ;)

Top 5 for Brawl
1: Lain
2: Anther
3: Judge (forfeit)
4: Omni
5: Boxxy
5: Flameshadow

Shoutouts in result thread ;)

Top Bottom