• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He can dream can't he? :chuckle:

Yeah, I got my Mewtwo into D/P, but it was destroyed....
My friend fed it those "friendship" berries, they lowered its stats to crap :urg:

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I used to play with falco (cause my friend always called fox) and eventually i tried to play with him and never got used to mew2's speed or attacks

He definitly should return but we don't know yet

Well there really is no good reason to take him out. Not one I have heard, anyway. I don't see why Sakurai would say to himself, "I'll take Mewtwo out because ___" whatever reason. Because there isn't one.

I don't think his speed is that bad, maybe just the lag on some of his attacks (if that's what everyone means). But he does need to fatten up by the time Brawl comes around. Though I severely disagree with Mewtwo's placement on the Melee tier list...

Irow

Smash Ace
The reason he is so low is because he doesn't place high in tournaments. That's what the tier list is based of. Mewtwo is better than a lot of the bottom tiers, but he's still bottom tier.

Mewtwo is probably the hardest character to use proficiently because his moves aren't really efficient.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Either way...the only thing M2 needs is a bit of weight and a couple specials buffed (Side B and Down B) but other than that he's perfect just how he is.

I would also like him to have a little more grab reach or slighty quicker exelaration at the beginning of his dash. That would make up for the loss of his important WDing. Cause he needed that more than most and he doesn't exactly need that kind of nerfing.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The reason he is so low is because he doesn't place high in tournaments. That's what the tier list is based of. Mewtwo is better than a lot of the bottom tiers, but he's still bottom tier.

Mewtwo is probably the hardest character to use proficiently because his moves aren't really efficient.
But why does he place low in tournaments, is the question. I don't think Pichu is used a whole lot more than him, yet Pichu is higher on the current ( outdated? ) list.

As far as I understand it, Mewtwo lacks two important factors: Approach and finishers. He's too slow to approach anyone except maybe with wavedashing, and even then his only combo starters are grab to down-throw to down-tilt or a straight down-tilt. Cue repeated down-tilts. And the only really strong attacks he has are the back-throw, which is powerful for a throw but still not all that great in most cases, and his very slow low-range down-smash. Well, and a fully charged shadow ball, of course.
He does have some good potential for combos, his tilts are great and all, but the lack of speed and especially the lack of priority make it too hard for him to approach another character once you reach a high level of play.
Then there's the fact that he's so easy to hit, combo and subsequently finish off.

So, on a certain high level, he might be potent if you're skilled enough, but once you reach a certain point, nobody using a half-decent character will let you approach safely.

Pichu at least has speed, and speed almost equals potential. Even if he's weak as hell, a good player can at least milk a bit of defensive and offensive strength out of the pure swiftness of Pichu.
And while Bowser is possibly even easier to destroy than Mewtwo, he at least has enough moves that allow him to kill, along with the up-b that elevates his offensive and defensive capabilities...

The one character whom I'd call worse than Mewtwo is Kirby, and Ness would be as well if it weren't for the DJC.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is not good news, I just heard that Serebii.net might have posted that Lucario replaces Mewtwo in Brawl...

Can someone check out Serebii.net to see if this is true...like the forums and stuff?

Edit: They posted it on Gamefaqs actually.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This is not good news, I just heard that Serebii.net might have posted that Lucario replaces Mewtwo in Brawl...

Can someone check out Serebii.net to see if this is true...like the forums and stuff?

Edit: They posted it on Gamefaqs actually.
I just heard that too :(
I really hope this is a lie...At LEAST make Mewtwo AND Lucario playable :/

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Mewtwo and Lucario have completely different movesets, other than Aura Sphere (which Mewtwo can learn naturally). Why would they replace one with the other? Hell, just take Jigglypuff out and put both in.

I'm sure it's nothing more than a hoax though.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Mewtwo and Lucario have completely different movesets, other than Aura Sphere (which Mewtwo can learn naturally). Why would they replace one with the other? Hell, just take Jigglypuff out and put both in.

I'm sure it's nothing more than a hoax though.
I want tp believe that(I do believe it) but it was said by Serebii, who knows "stuff":urg:
I'm still sure Mewtwo will return!

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Bah. I could say that S(u)kapon is a playable character in Brawl because I know "stuff", when it's really only a speculative, biased statement that might turn out to be true.

I'm not saying that it's not true, because coming from a source like Serebii, there's a good chance that it's true. But it also increases the likelyhood of it being a hoax, because "Hey, Serebii's respectable - if they have leaked info, it could be true!"

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . Do we have proof anyone said this? Links people, it's how we connect ourselves to other info. . .

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ah, I guess I should put my posts from that thread here for discussion. For anyone that doesnt know, they are from pgs. 94-100 of SamuraiPanda's "Starting/All Roster by the 15th" of the General Discussion board. It should help understand why I now fully believe this (I was not too convinced about a month ago when I first heard it from LadyCelebi)...

Serebii does have connections of sorts: he knew all the english Diamond/Pearl Pokemon and attack names about a month before it came out in the US, and then some drama with another website person made him spill the info weeks before he was supposed to. He was even apparently afraid of legal actions and such, since apologized to any representatives in the update, heh...

Perhaps that legal fear is what is keeping his mouth mostly shut about all this. But since I believe him, I am happy and sad for two reasons:

1. We will indeed see a couple new characters tomorrow!
2. Say goodbye to Mewtwo. A few weeks back a moderator of serebii.net, LadyCelebi, posted on GFAQs that serebii Joe's sources indicated that Lucario surprisingly replaced Mewtwo from Melee. She talked about him saying that he "says he shouldnt know what he knows", and thats exactly what he said on that site... :(.
LadyCelebi is the real deal. She was even cited as evidence against that "Ridley, Falcon, and Luigi confirmed" thread, go look through the last couple of pages. In fact...

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40131545&page=4

Inside the cited from there GFAQS thread on that fake info, where LadyCelebi begins posting. Follow her posts throughout the final pages... She aint fake. And she DID say that Lucario replaced Mewtwo and that Serebii Joe knows it. I was there when she did a few weeks back. The topic is now gone, but Im serious...

Be prepared for a Mewtwo-less Brawl is all Im saying...
Um, not really. But the GFAQs system is quite different than here. With all the topics sprouting every few seconds, the site cant hold them all forever. Every night it does a mass purging of old topics, ones that have not been posted in for days or weeks depending on how big the board is...

The topic I am talking about is now about a month old, so its been purged for weeks now. It was an Anti-Lucario topic though, which come up quite a bit overthere. Im not lying, but I feel that you wont believe me no matter what I say, so I will just leave it at that for now...
My condolences to Mewtwo fans and supporters too. That would include me too, I vouched for Mewtwo quite a bit in many threads here, because I think he deserves a second chance to be done right. I think Lucario replacing Mewtwo is a horrible idea too, but perhaps Sakurai has been thinking like the people I have been arguing against...

Meaning, maybe the development team saw the shallow similarities between Mewtwo and Lucario (energy balls, humanoid, telepathic, etc) and thought they could kill two bird with one stone: having an up-to-date rep from the still-popular Pokemon series, but not creating a moveset from complete scratch. Perhaps Sakurai also thought that with the Pokemon Trainer, having 5 selectable reps (Pika, Jiggs, PT, M2, Lucario) was too much. Another unfortunate mindset from many...

I really hope its not true like many of you, but with LadyCelebi truly being in touch with Serebii Joe, I have no choice but to believe it until the Dojo proves me wrong or the game comes out...
The third one answers why I cant give a straight link proof of LadyCelebi saying this, so you will have to trust my word that such a topic existed, which might be too much to ask. But see that real link to a GFAQs topic on my second post? In a few days, that will be purged too, but you will remember that it was real and LadyCelebi helped disprove the fake confirmation right? Thats how it is with the old topic where LadyCelebi first said Lucario was replacing Mewtwo...

But dont lose all hope Mewtwo supporters! I also think that Mewtwo should return, and perhaps Serebii's sources were wrong or he was just straight out lying (I doubt it). But if tomorrow we get a couple unprofiled characters and the starting roster from the scans, then we should all prepare for Mewtwo to join the Brawl graveyard in time... :urg:

Fawriel

Smash Master
I guess my cynicism regarding Sakurai might as well be justified. Eh. There had better be some **** good stuff in that roster, Sakurai. Some **** good stuff.
Though I suppose it might not be true. *shrugs*

Chepe

Smash Lord
Hmm...

howz about if Lucario is replaced with Darkrai, eh?

Lucario would become an AT?
You bring up a good point...

If Lucario does indeed replace Mewtwo, will we see Mewtwo in Pokeballs? That would be just great, if they made him useful/uber in that form, a slap in the face from the development team! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom