• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid: Other M

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
We got it at midnight at the Wal-mart. Still trying to get it to boot! >< It's a dual-layered disc like Brawl, and like with Brawl, soon as we put it in the first time, it asked to do a system update, a short firmware update I guess... which it did do successfully, and the game "appeared" in the Disc Channel no problem. Then we clicked "start" ... then it went back out to the main menu. Now none of our dual-layered discs are working except for Brawl for some reason. Grrrr!!!! We have an official Nintendo Wii Cleaning Kit, but it's out of pads, so we're going to go buy another one before everyone else who has this problem realizes they need to replace their cleaning kit, and they end up sold out ><

Bah! Fail.

Edit: Thank god for the cleaner. Works like a charm. We were lucky, last cleaning kit in stock in a 20 mile radius.

cutter

Smash Champion
Initial thoughts after about an hour or two

This feels a lot like Fusion... being told what to do, where to go, all that jazz. There's chance for exploration, but it's not like NES Metroid/Super Metroid. Far from it.

The controls take a while to get used to. The one thing that still frustrates me is when doing the "concentration" ability is that it would at times put me in Morph Ball mode when I was trying to restore my energy -- even when I clearly held the Wiimote up and held down A.

I also don't like how the finishing moves work. Half the time I latch on to someone and Samus just gets on top of the enemy and does nothing even when I'm holding down 2 to charge up my beam.

Also, did anyone else get stuck for a while at the "get crushed by the elevator shaft" part before finally realizing what to do? Or am I the only one that feels like an idiot?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah the controls take some getting used to but so far I've not had any problems using Concentrate. I love the feel of the game though, I immediately thought "MGS meets Metroid."

§leepy God

Smash Master
Metroid didn't build story in a while, I guess that's why the story is more in depth in this game. I freaken love the boss battles, I haven't had that much fun fighting bosses in a while, (just finished the second boss).

JOE!

Smash Hero
after falling throught the big purple plant, what are you supposed to look for?

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I watched a walkthrough two days ago of the entire game. Dunno if still want...

Although two of the bosses SCREAMED out to me NOSTALGIA.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Picked the game up today, but between going to work and working on other stuff I severely doubt I'll be able to play it until tomorrow.

Kinda looking forward to it, though, despite my doubts, especially after replaying Fusion and remembering all of the Adam stuff. Going by Samus' reflections in Fusion, though, I guess we know one thing for sure;
Adam will die by the end of the game, in order to save Samus.

M@v

Subarashii!
I like it so far. About 4 hrs in. The first person aiming screws me up sometimes but that's it.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
"This is the first joint operation I've been a part of since I became a freelance bounty hunter. It's also the first time I've taken orders from a commanding officer since leaving the Federation army." -- Samus Aran

Whether Nintendo knew it or not, those two sentences completely invalidate the events of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Samus took orders from Admiral Dane, and she worked directly with the Federation army to secure the Pirate Homeworld and destroy Phaaze. If that doesn't qualify as a joint operation spearheaded by a commanding officer, I don't know what does.

The next point will reveal a boss encounter. If you haven't already played Metroid: Other M to completion, do not highlight it.

On top of this, she's completely paralyzed at seeing Ridley again. Assuming that Corruption didn't happen, which the dialogue suggests, she's still killed Ridley three times. While Ridley is indeed responsible for killing Samus' parents, you would think she'd be used to seeing him brought back to life by now. Metroid Prime states that Ridley died during his first fight with Samus on Zebes, necessitating his reanimation.

Let's assume Prime never happened. This means that the jury is out on whether or not Ridley actually died during the first fight on Zebes, so Samus has only definitively killed Ridley once. This makes her shock at seeing him in the magma eruption chamber much more plausible. Other than Samus' reaction, there's no solid evidence to back this up, but given Corruption's blatant erasure complimenting the theory, one can logically assume that Prime and therefore Echoes have been removed from canon as well.

Nintendo hasn't officially said anything, so this is all conjecture, but it seems to be the case.

As for the game itself, I've been enjoying it immensely for the last six days. I'm trying to work on getting all of the pickups for a 100% completion rate. Other than the story seemingly invalidating the Prime trilogy, as mentioned above, I thought it was decent, although Samus had an inner monologue far too often than I would have liked.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
also cutter, just hide in one of the nooks and shoot the chameleon
Actually, you are supposed to go to one of the nooks and shoot the remaining cable to the elevator to make it fall on the chameleon. Very satisfying to watch.

"This is the first joint operation I've been a part of since I became a freelance bounty hunter. It's also the first time I've taken orders from a commanding officer since leaving the Federation army." -- Samus Aran

Whether Nintendo knew it or not, those two sentences completely invalidate the events of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Samus took orders from Admiral Dane, and she worked directly with the Federation army to secure the Pirate Homeworld and destroy Phaaze. If that doesn't qualify as a joint operation spearheaded by a commanding officer, I don't know what does.
I dunno if it was just me, but I always assumed that Prime took place after Super Metroid (and therefore, Metroid: Other M).

:069:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I dunno if it was just me, but I always assumed that Prime took place after Super Metroid (and therefore, Metroid: Other M).

:069:
No, the officially released timeline is Metroid > Metroid Prime > Prime Hunters > Prime 2 > Prime 3 > Metroid 2 > Super Metroid > Other M > Metroid Fusion.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_timeline

As for what Serris said, I never even thought about that before...I'm guessing they were going by what Samus said in Fusion, which was that Fusion was the second time at which she served under a commanding officer, Other M being the first. So ultimately, it's Prime 3 that's stupidly out-of-canon.

One more reason I'm mad at that game.

In other news, my Wii is absolutely shot to hell and now that I worked hard yesterday to have today free to play it, it keeps telling me it can't read the disc.

:mad:

It won't even boot up to let me do the system update. :ohwell: I think I need to get a new Wii or something, I've been having issues with it for a while.

EDIT: Well aside from the disc update screwing me over and doing an actual system update, the game's working fine now, at least.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I loaded up the game through Gecko to avoid the system update...

It's quite possible that Samus was under the employ of the GF all through the Prime series before transferring to Adam's command. Then again Serris might be right that this game is just making some of the Prime series elements invalidated. Personally I love this game so far and can't wait to get home and play some more.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

It's very well possible that the Prime series may have been retconned to be noncanon. Not only that, but the Prime series was written as a self-contained story anyway. It wouldn't be too hard to say that the trilogy was noncannon.

The next point will reveal a boss encounter. If you haven't already played Metroid: Other M to completion, do not highlight it.

On top of this, she's completely paralyzed at seeing Ridley again. Assuming that Corruption didn't happen, which the dialogue suggests, she's still killed Ridley three times. While Ridley is indeed responsible for killing Samus' parents, you would think she'd be used to seeing him brought back to life by now. Metroid Prime states that Ridley died during his first fight with Samus on Zebes, necessitating his reanimation.

Let's assume Prime never happened. This means that the jury is out on whether or not Ridley actually died during the first fight on Zebes, so Samus has only definitively killed Ridley once. This makes her shock at seeing him in the magma eruption chamber much more plausible. Other than Samus' reaction, there's no solid evidence to back this up, but given Corruption's blatant erasure complimenting the theory, one can logically assume that Prime and therefore Echoes have been removed from canon as well.
In Samus' defense, she believed Ridley was gone for good when Zebes exploded. The idea that not even a planetary explosion can kill off your worst enemy for good is definitely nightmare fuel.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I hope they don't retcon the Prime series, it adds more depth to Samus' early days. I doubt they'll even explain the anomaly though. They'll roll with it like they do with LoZ "it's all canon no matter what!(derp)"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Umm.... What depth? It's not like it goes in Samus' personality. It just makes her resume bigger.

UncleSam

Smash Master
My only complaint is that it's too short.

If you take note that Ridley was bred in the bottle ship then it makes more sense IMO. Once Ridley Dies, the space pirates replaced him with Meta Ridley during Prime and Corruption until a new one grew up to take the place which was Omega Ridley. During the events of Metroid 2, the Space Pirates were busy Breeding another Ridley. Which was seen in Super Metroid. This is only a theory though.

The only thing that would deny this theory is this quote from the wiki: However, through scans found in the Metroid Prime sub-series, it can be inferred that Ridley is indeed the same being. But then the Ridley you fight in Other M wouldn't be the original but another Bio-weapon which could explain the shock.

EDIT: On a side note:
Has anybody been able to find K.G.? I checked the residential quarters but I couldn't find him.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
My only complaint is that it's too short.

If you take note that Ridley was bred in the bottle ship then it makes more sense IMO. Once Ridley Dies, the space pirates replaced him with Meta Ridley during Prime and Corruption until a new one grew up to take the place which was Omega Ridley. During the events of Metroid 2, the Space Pirates were busy Breeding another Ridley. Which was seen in Super Metroid. This is only a theory though.

The only thing that would deny this theory is this quote from the wiki: However, through scans found in the Metroid Prime sub-series, it can be inferred that Ridley is indeed the same being. But then the Ridley you fight in Other M wouldn't be the original but another Bio-weapon which could explain the shock.

EDIT: On a side note:
Has anybody been able to find K.G.? I checked the residential quarters but I couldn't find him.
It was explicitly stated in a Metroid Prime scan that Meta Ridley is the original Ridley, reanimated from the dead and fitted with cybernetic enhancements. His appearance in Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M doesn't make sense unless the Prime series never happened.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@UncleSam
The way Samus refers to Ridley in the Other M opening pretty much says that the Ridley seen throughout the series is indeed the same Ridley. It is quite possible, aside from temporary cyberization, that Ridley might have been resurrected in Super Metroid as a clone with the same memories as the original. Although, the manga states that Ridley can heal himself by eating meat (he even refers to eating the corpse of Samus' mother.

UncleSam

Smash Master
@UncleSam
The way Samus refers to Ridley in the Other M opening pretty much says that the Ridley seen throughout the series is indeed the same Ridley. It is quite possible, aside from temporary cyberization, that Ridley might have been resurrected in Super Metroid as a clone with the same memories as the original. Although, the manga states that Ridley can heal himself by eating meat (he even refers to eating the corpse of Samus' mother.
True. I still think that the Ridley from Other M was bred. Since throughout the Game it was growing.

btw just got 100%

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
well...
notice that even as a small creature and then later at it's midpoint Ridley still seemed to recognize Samus and wanted to kill her. What may be possible is that Ridley is a creature who's memory is actually tied to his DNA(a concept explored in Assassin's Creed). Either that or his cells go into a hibernative state and retain all his memories/abilities until he can regenerate or... whatever. Still Other M directly contradicts Prime 3 and possibly the entire series...

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Just bought the game today, sadly the Wii won't read it. I guess either there's something wrong with the game or something wrong with the Wii.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Just bought the game today, sadly the Wii won't read it. I guess either there's something wrong with the game or something wrong with the Wii.
I'd venture to guess that because it's a dual layer disc your Wii has trouble reading it. Does Brawl play fine on your Wii?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm liking this game so far (I just got into Sector 2), but one thing is really pissing me off: The amount of bull**** deaths.

"La de dum, walking along through this tunnel... Huh, that was a big monster that just lept out of the lava. Weird. Oh well, I'll just keep walking along. Dum de dum..." *monster leaps out from bottom of screen super fast, smashes the tunnel, and eats you* "Samus? WHY AREN'T YOU RESPONDING???" :mad:

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I am at a very far part in the game and I love it. It is a masterful experience, and I would even say it is second best in the Metroid line (right next to Prime, my favorite game of all time).

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just got released today in UK and after my busy as **** day I got to buy it and play a bit.

I'm really loving it so far. The controls are simple and functional at their core yet the action is intense and slick, and the combat is definitely not in any way dated feeling.

The cinematics are really nice and I'm actually pretty **** impressed with the visuals, especially the (so far) perfectly stable framerate giving the game a massively fluid feel.

Feels good man, I am not disappoint with my purchase.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I'm liking this game so far (I just got into Sector 2), but one thing is really pissing me off: The amount of bull**** deaths.

"La de dum, walking along through this tunnel... Huh, that was a big monster that just lept out of the lava. Weird. Oh well, I'll just keep walking along. Dum de dum..." *monster leaps out from bottom of screen super fast, smashes the tunnel, and eats you* "Samus? WHY AREN'T YOU RESPONDING???" :mad:
lolwut?
haha I didn't even know you could get killed like that. I didn't experience even one "BS" death when I played. The game even slows down so you can dodge stuff... Lrn2tapcontrolpads?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm at the epilouge right now. I have really enjoyed both the gameplay and the story, and I can't see why some reviewers have been hating on this game. The thing I liked the least was the FPS mode, but that mostly has to do with me not playing Wii games as of late.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I just beat the game,including the epilogue. I'd venture to say the epilogue ending will go in my top 3 favorite endings of all time.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I finished the game yesterday. G4 and other haters can just keep hating. Other M was completely amazing.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
G4's review was the worst, not because of a low rating but the reasoning behind the low rating was completely off base. If you're gonna criticize a game at least have your facts straight.

Definitely a worthy successor to the Metroid series.

Top Bottom