• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Advancement Thread

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ASK THEM TO UPDATE IT THEN

and anyways a quote from a true hero

Yesterday, 09:35 PM #74
Latias
Smash Apprentice

when did this turn into the distant planet is more viable then half the counterpicks (which is completely true and ive brought up all evidence frozenhobo has asked for and he has then conceded and given up on that argument) anyways back on topic
i didn't concede, i said i was tired of arguing with you. you clearly have no idea how competitive smash works (or even regular smash for that matter) based on your stage beliefs as well as your posts in the IC boards. i'm done arguing with you as i can no longer tell if you're simply being a troll or if you actually believe these delusions. believe what you want, you'll quickly find that you're alone in your crazy little world.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not many bbr members lol.

Also, distant planet is and probably always will be banned.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Not many bbr members lol.

Also, distant planet is and probably always will be banned.

Il be honest, you crossed a line.

You know very well our stance on MK and what happens in the BBR, and "not many" is far from being accurate. I can't say much, but misrepresenting our views like this is just plain wrong.

On another note, I am willing to bet 10USD that distant planet will be legal in the next BBR ruleset.

Not that I am necessarily for it, I just think it will happen.

Xyro: Things have changed a lot in your absence.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Il be honest, you crossed a line.

You know very well our stance on MK and what happens in the BBR, and "not many" is far from being accurate. I can't say much, but misrepresenting our views like this is just plain wrong.

On another note, I am willing to bet 10USD that distant planet will be legal in the next BBR ruleset.

Not that I am necessarily for it, I just think it will happen.

Xyro: Things have changed a lot in your absence.

...I have crossed no line. We've done a MK poll 3-4 times and the required majority has never been reached to ban MK. This is public information. Off the top of my head I can only think of about 5 sbr members that publicly display wanting a temp ban rather than just a full ban.

Also, the MK ban isn't even being discussed in the SBR currently, and yes I can say that. You are not the one who tells me what I can say. I tell you :). Thanks though.

Edit: I hope you're not taking this too seriously lmao.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
...I have crossed no line. We've done a MK poll 3-4 times and the required majority has never been reached to ban MK. This is public information. Off the top of my head I can only think of about 5 sbr members that publicly display wanting a temp ban rather than just a full ban.

Also, the MK ban isn't even being discussed in the SBR currently, and yes I can say that. You are not the one who tells me what I can say. I tell you :). Thanks though.

HYLIAN (name search bait) has the required mAJORITY BEEN MET (caps lock fail) to not ban him?

Sieguest

Smash Master
HYLIAN (name search bait) has the required mAJORITY BEEN MET (caps lock fail) to not ban him?
@_@ What?
They need the required majority in order to ban him.

It's kind of pointless to need a majority to not ban him. That's like needing a majority to not change. =/

Sieguest

Smash Master
Anyway, I've been using Squall a lot more lately, playing around with it more. You guys think there is any more craftiness we can pull from it? I don't feel we've put much stock in it past just being a damage racker/recovery option/desync method that I hardly see used. =/

Also, what do you guys think about it when the opponent is at high percent off stage? I've been trying to use it to send opponents at a crap angle when I go offstage with them. Good/Bad?

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I'm about 5 seconds away from requesting Crow replaces your role in the BBR.

Misleading the public is no laughing matter, especially when you're acting as the voice of others. The majority of BBR members have voted Pro-ban, and the number has GROWN, not shrank. We still have threads locked every month because they devolve into MK ban threads.

Every single stage discussion for he new ruleset has had someone saying "this stage is too good for MK". EVERY SINGLE ONE.

We've repeatedly brought up the discussion over and over again.

If you want to be useless, go for it. I don't care. IF you're going to be a detriment, I do.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also, the MK ban isn't even being discussed in the SBR currently, and yes I can say that. You are not the one who tells me what I can say. I tell you . Thanks though.
Wow, just fully read this.

We're STILL discussing MK and no, you don't tell us what to say.

Sieguest

Smash Master
>.> Good Gawsh... This thread is getting worse and worse.

<.< Whoever sparked this whole mess needs to not post.... =/

Dekar173

Justice Man
The majority of players and BBR members would appreciate a Metaknight ban.

So ...

Hylian, stop outright lying :)

Last time there was a vote in the BBR and publicly, the majority wanted MK banned.

The MK debate has never died down, people have only gone on to prove how certain MK characteristics, unless limited, make him 100% unbeatable (this isn't even including how the character itself is vastly overpowered in comparison to the rest of the cast).

Then again, since Hylian tells us all what to say, I take that back. MK ISN'T AN ISSUE GET BETTER STUPID SCRUBS.

Smoom77

Smash Master
This isn't a MK ban thread. If you have a problem with Hylian's comments, please talk to him. Crow's post just enough for us to understand. We don't need more conflict.

Anyway, I've been using Squall a lot more lately, playing around with it more. You guys think there is any more craftiness we can pull from it? I don't feel we've put much stock in it past just being a damage racker/recovery option/desync method that I hardly see used. =/

Also, what do you guys think about it when the opponent is at high percent off stage? I've been trying to use it to send opponents at a crap angle when I go offstage with them. Good/Bad?
I think we could use it more even. But it's very matchup-dependant. In the MK matchup, I'd say not to use it a lot because every attack beats it. In Snake, you can use it sparingly because you might hit a grenade. If you barely space your squall from the ground (since Snake shields, his nade drops to the ground), the nade won't explode. Then I like to either shield or maybe dsmash (you'll be facing away from Snake and behind you is the first side of the dsmash. Plus, dsmash is our fastest smash/tilt?)

I don't like the idea of hitting them off stage... I really don't want to take any chance of missing the ledge ourselves. Maybe give a good situation of when we could use it.

Sieguest

Smash Master
This isn't a MK ban thread. If you have a problem with Hylian's comments, please talk to him. Crow's post just enough for us to understand. We don't need more conflict.
One thousand times this.

I think we could use it more even. But it's very matchup-dependant. In the MK matchup, I'd say not to use it a lot because every attack beats it. In Snake, you can use it sparingly because you might hit a grenade. If you barely space your squall from the ground (since Snake shields, his nade drops to the ground), the nade won't explode. Then I like to either shield or maybe dsmash (you'll be facing away from Snake and behind you is the first side of the dsmash. Plus, dsmash is our fastest smash/tilt?)
Agreed, we can't be predictable with it. I think there are more ways to to be creative with it. Weaving in and out of sync, adding a little creativity for mixups or something.

I don't like the idea of hitting them off stage... I really don't want to take any chance of missing the ledge ourselves. Maybe give a good situation of when we could use it.
Like some characters that have average or worse recoveries. We wouldn't have to go so far off the stage that it becomes a risk, but enough to where we can safely get back and use the angle that squall hits them at (excluding the last hit) as a way to kill their recovery. Characters like Marth and such. Kind of like Fox and the reflector.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I'm about 5 seconds away from requesting Crow replaces your role in the BBR.

Misleading the public is no laughing matter, especially when you're acting as the voice of others. The majority of BBR members have voted Pro-ban, and the number has GROWN, not shrank. We still have threads locked every month because they devolve into MK ban threads.

Every single stage discussion for he new ruleset has had someone saying "this stage is too good for MK". EVERY SINGLE ONE.

We've repeatedly brought up the discussion over and over again.

If you want to be useless, go for it. I don't care. IF you're going to be a detriment, I do.
I counted to 5.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I counted to 5.
>.> What the heck? Do you have nothing better to do than instigate crap.

Seriously, this whole BBR fiasco needs to go somewhere else. If you don't have something about the ICs and how to possibly open up some doors for them, then don't post in this thread.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I was also thinking about dash attack. I feel like it could be really useful. People don't expect it, they expect a grab.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
its a pun, ics are 5 on tier list and i counted to 5.

i cant rise very well with squall, how fast should i press, and about the bbr thing..

ill wait for my infraction from hylian.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Yeah, and the range on the dash attack is another plus for catching people off guard. :D And we can follow up at low percents right?

@Latias: You have to mash pretty fast to get a bunch of air from it. You can also start the squall the opposite direction you're facing. You get more air when you mash like that. (At least, it does for me. Not sure whether that's just a psychological thing or if it's actually a mechanic in the game.)
its a pun, ics are 5 on tier list and i counted to 5
I would believe that if it weren't for you quoting Overswarm in which the first sentence in his post was along the lines like "I'm five seconds away from *insert whatever threat he made here*."

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and the range on the dash attack is another plus for catching people off guard. :D And we can follow up at low percents right?

@Latias: You have to mash pretty fast to get a bunch of air from it. You can also start the squall the opposite direction you're facing. You get more air when you mash like that. (At least, it does for me. Not sure whether that's just a psychological thing or if it's actually a mechanic in the game.)
if i mash i only stay level ._.

hmmm

Smoom77

Smash Master
You can't gain height if you're squalling while on the ground. You have to do it in the air.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Man, srs bsns while I've been away.
This 10x. Please get the bull**** out of this thread.

Now on to squall.

It really has weird properties, and can be easily stopped by anything *relatively* disjointed, putting you into a helpless state.

That being said, its a good switch up on certain dudes that wont be able to out disjoint it. But there is the fact that they can always SDI out and reverse the situation.

My verdict is: Nice Mixup in theory, and nice for a flashy finishing imo, but ineffective compared to Bair, Dtilt, etc.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
>.> What the heck? Do you have nothing better to do than instigate crap.

Seriously, this whole BBR fiasco needs to go somewhere else. If you don't have something about the ICs and how to possibly open up some doors for them, then don't post in this thread.
FALSE! Whether or not metaknight is banned and whether certain levels merit counterpick status is integral to the metagame development of our character.

How so? Evidence: These debates are in our metagame thread. Point proven. =]

if i mash i only stay level ._.

hmmm
Are you possibly using a Wiimote-nunuchuck set up? It's much harder to hit special the required amount of times with the index finger instead of a thumb input from an ergonomic perspective

All kinds of stuff about situational squalling
In my opinion, I feel squall is easily our most versatile attack. Obviously it has recovery properties, but a few things should be kept in mind.

1. It falls faster than our fast fall. This can be used to get underneath someone, then, if spaced correctly, allow one to hit the opponent back in the air for uair juggles with the last hit box.
2. It's a fairly safe RETREATING tactic. Rather than using it on approach, it's a move that's hard to approach, especially if you're running away with it.
3. It's a very useful mode into desyncing. See recovery deception in the desync thread (2.10). This can be manipulated to setup both blizzard and iceblock chasers for grabs. It's also VERY easy to setup into a Nana Charge Deception (2.4 Ask Salt or me if you want more info on this one ;) )
4. It shield pokes. On occasion.

Smoom77

Smash Master
If we're talking about the metagame of BRAWL. Not ICE CLIMBERS. BRAWL the GAME.

ICs aren't Brawl.

Sieguest

Smash Master
FALSE! Whether or not metaknight is banned and whether certain levels merit counterpick status is integral to the metagame development of our character.

How so? Evidence: These debates are in our metagame thread. Point proven.
=/ Yeah, but this isn't a stage discussion nor is it a match-up discussion. This is stuff ICs themselves can do to open up their game.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I was being sarcastic haha. I edited in a smiley face along with more useful stuff for clarification purposes.

Top Bottom