• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Advancement Thread

Prawn

Smash Master
its pointless tho if you're already cging them for that long just kill them and take the stock.

that being said i like smash hobbling cause its faster and thats always a good thing imo

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
As people have said, the "advantage" in smash hobbling is purely increased damage racking speed. Yes, regular hobbling is easier... but if as ICs players we are perfectly willing to rely on something as fiddly and difficult as the various forms of alt chaingrabbing, then I see no reason why we can't also be perfectly willing to smash hobble. I support it wholeheartedly. :)

Also, on the topic of throw spiking vs continuing chaingrabs... I am definitely in the "continuing chaingrabs" camp because it makes so much more sense to me. Ultimately it's an argument of whether you want to rely on your own ability to chaingrab... or your opponent's lack of ability to SDI. Why should I hope that my opponent isn't good enough to escape a spike (and it's really not even hard) and hold their stock, when I can simply demand the stock with my own skills? Have more faith in your abilities as a player of this character.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Ultimately it's an argument of whether you want to rely on your own ability to chaingrab... or your opponent's lack of ability to mash. Why should I hope that my opponent isn't good enough to escape a grab (and it's really not even hard) and hold their stock, when I can simply demand the stock with my own skills? Have more faith in your abilities as a player of this character.
Your second paragraph completely applies to smash hobbling.

swordgard

Smash Hero
But really, doesn't it make sense?
Indeed, smash hobbling is just as much subject to mash out as regular hobbling.

Edit: I hope all of you grab on frame 1 of the hitlag(you are grabbing the guy during fsmash hitlag). That being very unlikely, it means that it is very escapable.

Prawn

Smash Master
**** i dont even understand what you people are sayong in thsi treead

when i grab people i always miietely dthrow dthrow unless they're at high percents

then ij ust wait and bthrow if they're over 75 or so

does that answer your question?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
**** i dont even understand what you people are sayong in thsi treead

when i grab people i always miietely dthrow dthrow unless they're at high percents

then ij ust wait and bthrow if they're over 75 or so

does that answer your question?
They're talking about buffering a hobble throw to prevent mashing out when hobbling.

What you're talking about is the tech used to transition into a CG while preventing an opponent mash out.

Teh Future

Smash Master
fuuuuuuuuuck you are lucky im not comin to jokers this weekend.

its k though youll prob loose to a link or something so lol

Prawn

Smash Master
i wasnt trolling i was drunk

but **** i had to wake up early

g
aaaaaaaaaaaay

Teh-Shlurpie

Smash Journeyman
best IC metagame = SoPo.

seriously underestimating SoPo gets you killed :p.

is it worth learning the Nana edgehog, whilst sopo remains on stage?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I use that only when I belay on and I get Popo to get up while Nana is still on the ledge. It works some times, but the frame time is small that Nana still has after you get up.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Still don't see how Distant Planet is even close to viable.

Japes is much better than both of those, and yet MLG doesn't have that.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
when did this turn into the distant planet is more viable then half the counterpicks (which is completely true and ive brought up all evidence frozenhobo has asked for and he has then conceded and given up on that argument) anyways, what i meant was ive never seen an ic win against a half average player without using an infinite. ics = get a grab to win.

Prawn

Smash Master
i got on the new england power rankings dropping grabs in every single set
rofl copter

step up yo combos

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
when did this turn into the distant planet is more viable then half the counterpicks (which is completely true and ive brought up all evidence frozenhobo has asked for and he has then conceded and given up on that argument) anyways, what i meant was ive never seen an ic win against a half average player without using an infinite. ics = get a grab to win.
linking me to 2 year old tourneys and ancient wiki pages does not count as evidence.

edit: and those last 3 "tourneys" you linked me to still had it in banned.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I've beaten my friend on wifi who is on the same skill level as me without a single CG.

Invalid.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
linking me to 2 year old tourneys and ancient wiki pages does not count as evidence.

edit: and those last 3 "tourneys" you linked me to still had it in banned.
the aib one did not have it banned, the other 2 did. and i linked you to the official sbr stage list, if you're going to flame, at least include everything..

Latias

Smash Journeyman
the official SBR list that was last updated in april of 2009.

it is not legal, it will never be legal.
ASK THEM TO UPDATE IT THEN

and anyways a quote from a true hero

Yesterday, 09:35 PM #74
Latias
Smash Apprentice

when did this turn into the distant planet is more viable then half the counterpicks (which is completely true and ive brought up all evidence frozenhobo has asked for and he has then conceded and given up on that argument) anyways back on topic

Top Bottom