• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Meta Knight's Weaknesses ~ (no joke topic!!!)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You know what you just did? You compared Ikes smash with a grab

Auto-fail.
Not at all, you're missing the point of the comparison.

Enough skill in either category allows you to make up for an inherently disadvantaged position. The fact that of the two one is significantly more difficult to make up for doesn't change that fact.

By your logic no character will ever get grabbed. They just have to space perfectly.

That's the same as saying: "A perfectly camping Olimar beats MK". Wolf can shine through everything,. Does he beat everybody 100:0 then? No he doesn't. Although he should because Wolf as a character makes no mistakes
Not really, based on how difficult grabbing a character is in the match-up you can estimate how likely a grab is in the match-up.

If a grab is very unlikely and if it can be done consistently, there's a generally a significant skill gap in match-ups where grabs are of overriding importance (because in other match-ups that spacing won't be anywhere near as much of an issue).

To make match-ups reflect reality you must incorporate mindgames, but it's based on OPTIONS, in those terms it's quantifiable. Otherwise, it's something that both players have access to.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Matchups are based on our current meta-game. You can't assume a player will never get grabbed, because no one is perfect and will get grabbed sometime. Otherwise, Ice Climbers would be pretty low tiered.

We have to go by what players are CURRENTLY capable of, which means matchups can always change.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Nor is he looking to be banned anytime soon. I think the SBR said they were about 66% against the ban.

TheChaos

Smash Rookie
Hahaha, it looks like I'll have to get better with Meta Knight, now won't I? =P
Thanks for making this thread to point out some rather important weaknesses that I can hopefully utilize when playing as or against MK.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
As much as i hate meta knight, I can't agree to ban him. Though some of his broken techniques.
I believe every character has a weakness, especially MK.
Brawl has a lot defensive strategies compared to melee.
Therefore someway some how PLAYER SKILL is the only true weakness.
Meta is built for the way he is, but we don't know the games mechanics to ban him so yet.
If anything, meta is still in training. Because PLAYER SKILL plays the only factor for this supposed balanced game. If you hate the chain grab, don't get caught. If you don't like the low % kills, don't get hit. Impossible? Who's fault is it that the MK player fell victim for his loss.

Don't prove me wrong if you're trying to prove others wrong about their OPINIONS about MK.

<3 to kupo~

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Stop mentioning the MK ban.
I only try to help you.

If you don't wanna learn, it's not my problem

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
I'll say this again. His evasive maneuvers fail hard.

His roll dodge goes little to no distance.

His shield is ****. Gets poked by almost anything. Hell, most characters' jabs can poke it.

Spot dodge and Air dodge are meh, but better than shield and roll dodge.

KO M

Smash Apprentice
he has none whats so ever, besides the fact, most MKs are agressive, not a big weakness.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It's funny to see people say MK has no weaknesses. Play MK for a couple months, maybe then you'll actually know something about him. MK is just a normal top tier character.

Shuttle loop is overrated, it's predictable. Tornado spam is overrated, it's easily punishable. Dsmash spam is overrated, it gets weak and doesn't damage a **** and is also punishable. People just complain with their pointless statements.

"No lag" <- Wtf? Go play the game more.
"Fast" <- And weak.
"Strong" <- Maybe 2 or 3 moves.
"Tornado" <- No.
"He wins 35%+ of the tournaments" <- That's what top tiers do, plus a lot of people use MK. Also look back to the melee days.

And he's light as ****.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
You should include Yoshi in the grab threats. Yoshi can release-grab chain grab Metaknight and when done on final destination, you can take him all the way across the stage, sprint off and do a rising neutral aerial and it kills Metaknight at about 80%-90% damage. He can also stop the release grab one short of the edge and do a dashing up-smash. Some might think Yoshi sucks but against a Metaknight, he's pretty good. If you have any doubts, check some of the "good" Yoshi players against a Metaknight player.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
It's funny to see people say MK has no weaknesses. Play MK for a couple months, maybe then you'll actually know something about him. MK is just a normal top tier character.

Shuttle loop is overrated, it's predictable. Tornado spam is overrated, it's easily punishable. Dsmash spam is overrated, it gets weak and doesn't damage a **** and is also punishable. People just complain with their pointless statements.

"Fast" <- And weak.
"Tornado" <- No.
"He wins 35%+ of the tournaments" <- That's what top tiers do, plus a lot of people use MK. Also look back to the melee days.

And he's light as ****.
Excellent points, although I disagree with the part I italicized. While I'm not familiar with the competitive SSB metagame, so I don't know how dominant Pikachu was, I would feel pretty safe wagering that no character has been as good as MK relative to the metagame.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Excellent points, although I disagree with the part I italicized. While I'm not familiar with the competitive SSB metagame, so I don't know how dominant Pikachu was, I would feel pretty safe wagering that no character has been as good as MK relative to the metagame.
psst Deoxys, I italicized two words in this quote.

use bolds ;]

SSB metagame

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice

"Fast" <- And weak.
"Tornado" <- No.

And he's light as ****.
Agreed. Meta is Brawls Melee Fox. Nobody ever wanted him banned.....
Or at least not that I remember.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
My point is he's better than Fox was in relation to their respective metagames.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Fox was better in Melee metagame. People even went as far as to call him the god of melee. But my point being, people learned to play against him and suddenly he didn't seem so unbeatable.

I can predict the future and MetaK is the exact equal of what Sheik was in Melee. Started strong but then one day, new things were discoved so that she wasn't even top tier in the end.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman

"Fast" <- And weak.
"Tornado" <- No.

And he's light as ****.
And his defensive maneuvers fail. His only GOOD option for defense is to "space bettur olololol"

Deoxys

Smash Lord
And his defensive maneuvers fail. His only GOOD option for defense is to "space bettur olololol"
The best defense is a good offense.

I disagree. Fox was better in Melee metagame. People even went as far as to call him the god of melee. But my point being, people learned to play against him and suddenly he didn't seem so unbeatable.

I can predict the future and MetaK is the exact equal of what Sheik was in Melee. Started strong but then one day, new things were discoved so that she wasn't even top tier in the end.
Pros can't even agree whether Fox is the best character in Melee. Plus, he had a much larger % of even matchups. Also, Falco was probably better against Fox than Snake is against MK. This is just my opinion ATM, though, as many of MK's worst matchups aren't fully flushed-out yet.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion

"Fast" <- And weak.
"Tornado" <- No.

And he's light as ****.
Enter: Delusional scrub

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Agreed. Meta is Brawls Melee Fox. Nobody ever wanted him banned.....
Or at least not that I remember.
He's more like Sheik (without the CLEAR bad match-ups). And she was kinda considered for ban early on until Fox and Falco utilized ATs (stupid D-throw)
My point is he's better than Fox was in relation to their respective metagames.

I can predict the future and MetaK is the exact equal of what Sheik was in Melee. Started strong but then one day, new things were discoved so that she wasn't even top tier in the end.[/QUOTE]
Fox isn't top or even 2nd when it comes to winning tournies. Marth's the one with 55% dominance in tournys. Fox is where he is now (Top of top tier) due to continued "if he was played perfectly, he'd be unbeatable". Even though that's clearly beyond human hands...

Top Bottom