• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
You guys are basing that off what? Seems like it should be just like turnarounds, which are 0 frames when buffered.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What? Aren't turnarounds always 1 extra frame like jumpcancels? How come they suddenly ceased existing when everyone has always said they exist.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Don't you get the 1 frame of JC no matter what?
Last time that I checked, no.

What? Aren't turnarounds always 1 extra frame like jumpcancels? How come they suddenly ceased existing when everyone has always said they exist.
Because false information is prevalent on these forums.

You guys are basing that off what? Seems like it should be just like turnarounds, which are 0 frames when buffered.
I believe that this is correct.

Tesh

Smash Hero
if your turnaround isn't buffed, then it takes 1 frame because thats how everything works really

if you arent doing anything, the game needs that 1 frame to know what inputs you are doing

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey MK Boards probably my first time posting here in whole but I only have a meh interesting question to hear from all of you:
  • What is your favorite flashy Mix-up of landing punishment? (My favorite one is a SH N-air with U-air landing with barely any land lag. It's cool looking, kind of frightening if they AD from fear of SL and Idk just awesome looking when you spam it after you KO someone)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That's... quite an specific question....
I personally prefer to keep it simple whatever the case.
Mach Tornado, Uair into anything Frametraps, getting Airdodge reads into Smashes, or sometimes even just holding your shield and grab (or any OOS aerial if they cross-up) when they land.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'm becoming a lot better at finding my opponents habits and patterns, but I am not punishing them correctly. I often take more damage trying to punish their habits than not. How can I learn what is the best way for punishing each habit?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I'm becoming a lot better at finding my opponents habits and patterns, but I am not punishing them correctly. I often take more damage trying to punish their habits than not. How can I learn what is the best way for punishing each habit?
I think it depends a lot on the habit(s), after you know the habits, you need to think on the possition you and your opponent are, what move(s) you can do to punish it safely, and another one I do is to try to know when to punish with a move that could kill or not... this in an attempt to not stale your kill moves in percents close to the kill percent needed by each move, if it's low percents it doesn't matter that much, at that point we need the damage. I just hope this helps you in something.

I need to know why does it seem that when I let go of the edge for an invincible aerial I apparently do it wrong and have very few invincibility frames, my only guess is that I got the timing wrong but I don't really know if it's that or not, any advice on this?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Everybody has a preferred option,just learn what the opponent favors and punish it.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Hey MK Boards probably my first time posting here in whole but I only have a meh interesting question to hear from all of you:
  • What is your favorite flashy Mix-up of landing punishment? (My favorite one is a SH N-air with U-air landing with barely any land lag. It's cool looking, kind of frightening if they AD from fear of SL and Idk just awesome looking when you spam it after you KO someone) SHDUAIRALC : Short Hop double uair airdodge lag cancel

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Try different methods,maximize your tilt range and keep them at bay.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dear -Se7en-, while the input is appreciated, please try avoid double, triple, and quadruple posting in the future.
Use the "edit" button if you want to add something to a post.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, I've been killing opponents via roof tornado at mid percentages. However, it isn't consistent. What I do when I land the initial hit of the tornado (being vertically high):
1.Spam B and let it go, making the last blow of the tornado kill the opponent. I found out that letting go of the B will help keeping your opponent within the tornado which makes the last killing blow of the tornado connect.
2. The usual, where I spam B and follow my opponent in the roof (it's usually going left and right to keep the opponent in place)

Is there any other viable methods?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been killing opponents via roof tornado at mid percentages. However, it isn't consistent. What I do when I land the initial hit of the tornado (being vertically high):
1.Spam B and let it go, making the last blow of the tornado kill the opponent. I found out that letting go of the B will help keeping your opponent within the tornado which makes the last killing blow of the tornado connect.
2. The usual, where I spam B and follow my opponent in the roof (it's usually going left and right to keep the opponent in place)

I do think those are the only one, but I'm not sure tbh... I actually have trouble too to Ruffio people :/

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings

1)When going against lightweights you can pull yourself awy from them,all that matters is the lay hit,as it is the one that throws then upward.
2)It's risky,it's better to just push them offstage if they are foolish enough to end up in that position.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
does anybody know, to which direction should I SDI Sheik's Ftilts?

any single thing I did just didn't work well :/

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
does anybody know, to which direction should I SDI Sheik's Ftilts?

any single thing I did just didn't work well :/
I don't think SDI will help unless on higher percents,prevent yourself from getting trapped by using the maximum tilt ranges or just dair camp.Dont get grabbed/jabbed while playing keep away since sheik can grab release DACUS MK.Sheik can only utilt if you are staying above,don't get camped by needles either - If sheik is on the other side then just stay in the air,airdodge when landing and shield,then jump OOS.Sheik does require spacing since her tilts are so amazing ,SHFAIR max range can challenge sheik's tilts but daircamping helps.

MK_ultra

Smash Rookie
What are our best things to do vs a olimar who loves to camp?
approach from the air and use the platforms to be out of range of most of olimar's combos. you will have to look out for his up smash though on your way down to olimar's inside. you can also use a glide attack.

D

Deleted member 189823

Um, hey. I am pretty new to MK...started using him a few days ago. I was incredibly stiff with him the first few hours, but I am getting quite used to it.
So I want to practice with Snake CPUs like Zero and M2K do...but I'm not very proficent at that, yet. I mean, I can get a few gimps off, but they're nowhere as good as when they do it...and I want to try to chain aerials like them and barely have them land. Thing is, it's hard when the CPU keeps falling on the ground rather than standing...and I'm not very good at chasing them horizontally.

tl:dr: How should I play the CPU snakes? And is this training really good?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The training only works if you know what you are looking for.
Learn how far will the uair send him in what position, if he will be too far, don't jump again and opt to land, run and continue the string from the ground. Positioning and pressure in Brawl is WAAAAY more important than combos and guaranteed damage.

It's more of a practical learning technique, where you get to observe opponent's positions after getting hit, your own reach so you get to know where if it close enough to follow-up or too far and retreat and apply more pressure.
More or less.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
What's the best way to momentum cancel? I know if you're going all out you Drill Rush; but what about if you don't want to put yourself into helpless just yet? I just hold down and spam up on the C stick to auto fast fall since if you hold down while doing an aerial you auto fastfall. Sometimes I jump, but I don't know if that's gonna put me in the blast zone or not. Does jumping help momentum cancel or harm it?

D

Deleted member 189823

How do you get out the quickest U-Air out of a jump? Are you supposed to buffer it? I've seen Zero & Nairo do it OoS to get Snake off the ground, and it looks really useful.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You need press slightly up, not fully up and then press A during the buffer window while jumping. If you press the stick fully up, you'll JC into usmash.
It's kinda tricky to do in a real situation without practice.

PackAttack91

Smash Rookie
On the Marth board there is a post for how beginners should play Marth. A list of his bread and butter moves and a general play style. What would you guys give a new player like me as a similar guide for Meta Knight as I start learning him?

D

Deleted member 189823

You need press slightly up, not fully up and then press A during the buffer window while jumping. If you press the stick fully up, you'll JC into usmash.
It's kinda tricky to do in a real situation without practice.
Thanks.
Is it really useful, or is it situational?

On the Marth board there is a post for how beginners should play Marth. A list of his bread and butter moves and a general play style. What would you guys give a new player like me as a similar guide for Meta Knight as I start learning him?
I actually agree, yeah. I mean...I've seen many matches of MK of High/Top-level play, but I haven't payed too much attention until now. Not to mention that at that level, things really tend to go to the flow, according to their opponents and MU.
At the moment, I'm only really practicing juggles and gimps on a lvl. 3 CPU Snake (sometimes olimer) with hardly any ground game.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As every buffered tactic, it us very useful if you use it at the right times.

And there is a beginners' guide already. It's a bit outdated, but a lot of the things it says are still true and can help anyone to getting started with MK.
As much as I would love to have a new one, at this point there is nothing much that can be said to beginners without inevitably thinking about Smash 4 coming out soon.
Only a tip: don't watch only top players' videos, watch low and mid level players and try to detect their errors, that can be very helpful.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Ok thanks for the help and totally not ignoring my question..............

Tilting up and then pressing A during jumpsquat is the only way to buffer an Uair due to jumpcanceling. I think ZeRo and all them just try to be frame perfect.

PackAttack91

Smash Rookie
As every buffered tactic, it us very useful if you use it at the right times.

And there is a beginners' guide already. It's a bit outdated, but a lot of the things it says are still true and can help anyone to getting started with MK.
As much as I would love to have a new one, at this point there is nothing much that can be said to beginners without inevitably thinking about Smash 4 coming out soon.
Only a tip: don't watch only top players' videos, watch low and mid level players and try to detect their errors, that can be very helpful.

I don't mean a full guide. On the Marth board there is one post that gives new players a list of moves that are not very useful for new players, and a list of moves for new players to utilize often, and the best way to use them.

It doesn't give frame data, in-depth moves uses, advanced techniques, but for new players it is extremely helpful. Jumping into a new character can be overwhelming and just having a list of what you should be generally using and then practicing is all that is generally needed right away.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Ok thanks for the help and totally not ignoring my question..............
Whoops, sorry.
Meta Knight is a very light character. Some people glide, others jump, but overall don't expect a big difference with any of that.
The only way to survive well is to DI correctly towards the Corner, the rest is up to you.
btw, yes, if you jump when too high, you'll hit the blastzone earlier.
Something neat about DI though is that if you are sent in a 15-ish degree angle, you can jump two or three times and you'll be fine.
Tilting up and then pressing A during jumpsquat is the only way to buffer an Uair due to jumpcanceling. I think ZeRo and all them just try to be frame perfect.
That's what's good about buffering, you don't *have* to be perfect, just to get the timing more or less right.
I don't mean a full guide. On the Marth board there is one post that gives new players a list of moves that are not very useful for new players, and a list of moves for new players to utilize often, and the best way to use them.

It doesn't give frame data, in-depth moves uses, advanced techniques, but for new players it is extremely helpful. Jumping into a new character can be overwhelming and just having a list of what you should be generally using and then practicing is all that is generally needed right away.
That sounds even more plausible. I might write one if I have some free time.
(if you have the link it would be awesome).

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Alright you guys, time to help a brother out.

I'm really stuck on the MK-Wolf match up. There's this really good local Wolf who wiped the floor with me yesterday at a tournament in all the friendlies we played. I was just stuck on how to beat him. His playstyle was very aggro and he rarely missed a chance to tack on extra damage.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Alright you guys, time to help a brother out.

I'm really stuck on the MK-Wolf match up. There's this really good local Wolf who wiped the floor with me yesterday at a tournament in all the friendlies we played. I was just stuck on how to beat him. His playstyle was very aggro and he rarely missed a chance to tack on extra damage.
I have quite a bit of wolf experience and I'll cover what I've learned.

#1) Wolf mains love smashes and their blasters.If you can shield grab after his fsmash throw him offstage or down throw.

#2)SHFair and ftilt is amazing at striking from a safe range.If the wolf spams smashes then you spam down smash.

#3)Wolf can DACUS.If you know one is coming down tilt and follow up.

#4)Tornado if he is always on you with bair.It throws him up - meaning uair juggle.

#5)Watch him when he has the edge - he can side b through ledges and he could airdodge onstage and buffer a DACUS.

#6)Wolf's throw out their fair occasionally,watch when he does this astou can learn to stay under him and start grab release combos.

#7)Wolf is a fast faller,with a terrible recovery.If he is going to up b from under the ledge you can...

a.Dash off and grab the ledge

b.SHFFNair down toward wolf as he recovers and then you can...

[Still on SHFFNair]

a.If he is above you after the nair go for a uair juggle or if he is close to the ledge land another jumping nair.

b. If he lands at a southwestern angle from you,try to dair camp.

c. Shuttle Loop

[As for approaching]
Glide attack all day and juggle him with grounded shuttle loop,uair,and nado.Dsmash a smash spammer and platform camp.

[Stages]
Good
•SMASHVILLE
•BATTLEFIELD
•RAINBOW CRUISE
•POKEMON STADIUM 1

Bad
•FINAL DESTINATION

Middle
•LYLAT CRUISE
•YOSHI'S ISLAND

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
The biggest issue I had was the Bair pressure and juggling, as well as the battles always going to Final Destination. Thank you, I'll keep those tips in mind.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
The biggest issue I had was the Bair pressure and juggling, as well as the battles always going to Final Destination. Thank you, I'll keep those tips in mind.
When juggled : Glide away towards the ledge but look out because some wolfs like to full hop dair (attempt to intercept).Rise up with uairs but some wolfs drop down with a bair for a stage spike.

Bair pressure : tornado,maybe short hop double uair airdodge to lag cancel.Zone him if you want to play super safe.

Final Destination : the worst possible stage vs Wolf,just dair camp and look out for his uair and Usmash.

***Wolf's dthrow : it can be used to get you far offstage at high percents,try and tech it.

Top Bottom