• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Is it awkward to anyone (or was it) when they are in the air as MK. I'm trying to become a better player but at times it feels awkward to do an aerial in my position. I have a problem with just throwing attacks out.
I feel exactly the same except otherwise.
I feel so uncomfortable in the ground, for no reason I feel that (even if I know some of them are untrue) my F-tilts are laggy and that Dtilt lacks coverage, that my Dsmash MUST be saved until high percentages and Fsmash lacks range; also whenever I get a read and try to out prioritize a move with GSL, I end up trading hits.
I just don't feel good when being in the ground.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm a Melee player recently picking up Brawl again. Original main was ZSS but chose MK because I'm liking his comboing gameplay.

First question... Tap jump on or off? Thought if I had tap jump on I could plank better, unless the trick is to claw.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As always, Controller Scheme is something you must do yourself, based on your own comfort.
Tap Jump On allows easy OOSGSLs, as well as easy Dair planking, but can mess up your DI and tilts (like to your shield) are much more difficult.
Tap Jump Off Allows much more control of the exact moment you want to jump, but you need either certain amount of dexterity or map jumps to a shoulder button to have better control over stuff like OOSGSLs and Dair camping.

Either way, is something you and you alone can decide.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bump!

I have a few questions.
My offstage MK game is ***; how can I improve and are there any spacing tactics I should know about?
How should the ZSS MU be played? ZSS has a lot of good anti-MK tools and I find her very hard to approach, to be specific.

Reth92

Smash Cadet
well run> shield is good in this MU I think. Since ZSS's grab is such a risky move, they'll rarely go for a grab. However, watchout of Dtilt pokes. good ZSS's have GREAT spacing with their whip and downsmash. Learning the spacing in this matchup is quite useful and watch out when caping to the ledge: ZSS has lots of tools to edgeguard MK. Try some mixups. And for edgeguarding, look into ESAM's "don't let salem win again" thread.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
How do I handle the diddy matchup?
I feel like I could take it slow, and pick safe options, but I don't know what options are safe on diddy.
I main diddy, so I have great item control, but I don't know the MK matchup as diddy... So I'm clueless lol

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=150555

read this :)
a lot of usefull info about the mu. I have to warn you though, It is a pretty long read.

well run> shield is good in this MU I think. Since ZSS's grab is such a risky move, they'll rarely go for a grab. However, watchout of Dtilt pokes. good ZSS's have GREAT spacing with their whip and downsmash. Learning the spacing in this matchup is quite useful and watch out when caping to the ledge: ZSS has lots of tools to edgeguard MK. Try some mixups. And for edgeguarding, look into ESAM's "don't let salem win again" thread.
I prefer to walk once I am in her range. because you can shield whenever you want. If you dash you can't shield for a couple of frames which is annoying as **** if the zss notices this and reads when you are going to dash. If you walk you can Power shield her sideB and dsmash much easier.

If you walk you can basically bait her to do one of these 2 and then grab or ftilt/dtilt.

Grab is great vss zss because the position advantage is amazing against her and she in general has bad options to prevent her getting grabbed.

A good zss that notices you Approach all the time with shield will grab you, so you should still watch out. Especially if you run you can get grabbed pretty easily because you limit your own options which makes it easier for her to read you.

also Nado. it's amazing in this mu. If she uses Dsmash to space or her neutralB you can easily punish with nado. You can go over her sideB but I like walk>powershield> grab more for this.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And then Salem comes, reads your nados and crouch below them.

You have the advantage in the MU, but you need to be specially careful.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Kyoko what are you doing hanging out in this tier ***** den?

You're better than this.

Come now, back to the Zelda boards we go.

It reeks of desperation and lack of skill in here.
~hihi

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm just doing my job of keeping this place in check.
That's what the red label over my name means.

And part of that desperation and lack of skill is mine ;n;

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
'cause Fuu is the major sis, leader of them all, you mess with one you mess with all.
You better not defy that, gurl.

Anyyway, from now on let's please refrain from discussing stuff unrelated to Meta Knight's gameplay, you can go spill tea all over the Social Thread if you want.

SiriusPika

Smash Rookie
Hi, inexperienced brawler here. My question is, what is the best way to approach Lucas as Meta Knight? My one friend I play with tends to spam the pk fire. When I do get through and attack, he blocks and just does the grab with his snake. Any way to avoid this grab and spamming?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
To avoid PK Fire, learn the timing of the projectile and Powershield it. If you can do that, you can keep walking or dash right before shielding so it becomes incredibly useful.
The next is about readings. If you detect he's shielding a lot and you predict he's going to shield next, you can grab him. or, if you predict he's going to grab, you can roll behind him or spotdodge and punish afterwards.
Getting reads is very important in any competitive game.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Hi, inexperienced brawler here. My question is, what is the best way to approach Lucas as Meta Knight? My one friend I play with tends to spam the pk fire. When I do get through and attack, he blocks and just does the grab with his snake. Any way to avoid this grab and spamming?
If he doesn't wavebounce it so he slides very far on landing, you can run PS and punish. If he doesn't use it in short hops, you yourself can SH over it and punish.
Our grab is reaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy laggy, bait it and punish with a smash or grab (abuse grab release). Space and/or retreat your aerials well so you don't get shieldgrabbed, remember our throws can kill at 130% w/ pummel on a light char like MK.
Don't spam or make spotdodge predictable (or roll behind us too much), you'll get Dsmashed out of the spotdodge (or if you roll behind us and are still touching us).
Also, you can try to make us approach you, Lucas' approach options are very poor.

EDIT: Also our pivot grab has a loooot less lag. You can still punish it but be quick about it, no Fsmash 4 u.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
After playing Dark Peach and getting absolutely dominated and butthurt, I need to ask of "defensive play".

What are the best defensive methods?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Shield.

Really, specially against Peach whose grab is not stellar, just shield and pick your OoS options carefully (Fair, Nair, Dair, Uair, Shuttle Loop, rolls, spot dodge). Remember her aerials auto-cancel (specially if we're talking about DP) so don't rush it.
Also, just space her out, your moves are fast and have longer ranges than hers, poking and walling her should do great in the MU.
Also Also, don't get flustered by turnips, just try to get used to their hitbox and shield/dodge/catch them accordingly.

All of that is, of course, unless DP developed some crazy Peach stuff.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Somebody make a thread about in-depth Dair Camping or discuss a smart way to do it. I hate Flaco.

Master Raven

Smash Master
After playing Dark Peach and getting absolutely dominated and butthurt, I need to ask of "defensive play".

What are the best defensive methods?
Shield and Up B or Fair OOS beat most of her options.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Up B and Fair beat the majority of Peach's approaches. Up B if she's floating above and Fair if you're both in the air

Shield and Up B or Fair OOS beat most of her options.
I appreciate the help, but I want a smart and effective way to use dair camping.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Dair camping is ineffective vs Peach, unless you're asking me about Dair camping in general.

In that case I will tell you that it's matchup-based (mainly matchups where you don't want to be on the ground, i.e. Diddy or ICs) and that you have to be good at baiting your opponent into opening themselves up for it. This requires time and experience since it also depends on the player you're fighting. Not everyone is going to take Dair bait so easily.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dair camping against Falco... okay.

It's been like 10 months since I played a half-decent Falco, but let's see if I can describe it well enough.

Few people with experience will actually fall for Dair camping, but it's an option regardless.
There are two ways to Dair camp Falco:
Right outside his horizontal reach - Just time when you land so you don't get hit by his lasers , and when he commits into you, your CQC game is superior, so your normal aerial/tilt/grab/shield game will beat him.
He can read this and laser/Usmash you though.
Right outside his vertical reach - Float right above him so he doesn't SHFFL at all, he can get hit by the Dair, lack a bit of range and get punished by something else, or if you get the read, you can FFAD through his attempt. Being above his head is a very good spot as long as you don't get Naired (which can be read too).

All in all, Dair camping isn't really a to-do strategy against Falco, I prefer to Walk>Powershield Lasers/Read Illusion, and pressure him by mixing tilts, grabs and rolls. Falco is fast and can find gaps between that, but ultimately he lacks range to fight you on a boxing game (the same reason he struggles against Marth).

Then there is the Offstage game, where MK covers pretty much every option Falco has, but we might just get into that later.

Hope it helped, descriptions may be flaky, it's almost 4am here.

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17
So I have a tournament coming up next month saturday, and I wanna make sure I win it, and completely destroy all my opponents. The Rules are 2 minutes, smash ball on, tournament mode. So its bad rules, and I have to play with tap jump. So my question is, how do you play with MK without tap jump? Like Illl mess up spacing so bad, and when I get people in the air above me, its extremely hard for me to frame trap or mk will jump AND spam u air, so I lose all my jumps. This will be bad offstage and I can possibly SD. Is there a way to mod my controller so it never tap jumps? (since i cant set my name and set my own controls at the tourney). Should I just use my pocket zss or ICS instead then?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Figured I'd ask this here as well as on the Diddy boards

I'm looking to get some tips when playing on an MK/Diddy team, both for me (the MK) and the Diddy.

I know the best team for these characters is hands down Nairo + ADHD, and I've seen plenty of matches of theirs already. What I'm really looking for is to see if there are any quirks in this team I should look out for before I start rewatching all of their sets. I took 4th with a Diddy player (Sombra) at a recent tournament when we teamed randomly, now we're teaming again at Shuffle V and I want us to do really well.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A Smashball tournament? Just pick Sonic, try to get used to his movement and aim for the SB. Easy kills all the way.
And being a short-timer game, even Falco can do the trick.
Or play hella gay as MK, grab the SB and holding into it for a minute before you unleash it.
That ruleset is so bad that it allows to many silly exploits.

And what's good about the MK-Diddy teams is that one can be the stock tank and the other the damage/killer.
If both work on your item play, both can disrupt enemies back and forth.

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17
A Smashball tournament? Just pick Sonic, try to get used to his movement and aim for the SB. Easy kills all the way.
And being a short-timer game, even Falco can do the trick.
Or play hella gay as MK, grab the SB and holding into it for a minute before you unleash it.
That ruleset is so bad that it allows to many silly exploits.

And what's good about the MK-Diddy teams is that one can be the stock tank and the other the damage/killer.
If both work on your item play, both can disrupt enemies back and forth.
As fun as that sounds I know my mk is bad with tap jump on as i abuse the heck out of aerial control and love frame trapping and tilts lol. I know my friend will be participating and i cant really beat his marth with my mk with tap jump, and zss vs marth gl lol. As well as ics vs marth on my side, ive been dropping cg as i havent played them in a bit. So i cant mod my controller for tap jump off?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
As fun as that sounds I know my mk is bad with tap jump on as i abuse the heck out of aerial control and love frame trapping and tilts lol. I know my friend will be participating and i cant really beat his marth with my mk with tap jump, and zss vs marth gl lol. As well as ics vs marth on my side, ive been dropping cg as i havent played them in a bit. So i cant mod my controller for tap jump off?
If you seriously want to destroy..just abuse uairs for the smashball and ledgecamp. If they jump offstage and try to hit you there's a free gimp.
Now if his Marth is bugging you I suggest you learn the matchup, and abuse your long range tilts. Whoever spaces better wins.
Go for down throws, if he spams dancing blade, wait for the last hit and shield grab or up b while in shield.

If he throws a fair out after a down throw then dash>shieldgrab.Repeat the downthrows.
If you have the higher percent then do not approach, time him out and prosper.Tornado for percent just do not get predictable.
If he is a smart and competitive Marth then do not get grabbed as he will gain free damage. If he gets you above him watch out for up air juggles.
You have a faster down tilt that trips, space it. If it trips him at low percent go for a dash grab.

Matchup is 6:4 MK's advantage, now go and make our lovely little fat bat look broken beyond repair.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
There's no way to physically mod your controller to keep you from tapjumping. The best advice I can give you is to press up on the control stick to get yourself off the ground, then hold it there until you're done u-airing, so you won't jump any more with tapjump but can still u-air. Use the X or Y button to jump and the A button to do your u-airs.

For the Marth MU, you can snuff most of his approaches with Grounded Shuttle Loop with the invincible startup. Don't land with anything unsafe (landing downair, unsafe nado, etc) as he can run-up dancing blade easily. There's very little he can do when you're underneath him, so take advantage of that when he's above you. If you're not comfortable with your u-air spam, just cover his landings with nado and there's very little he can do to beat it from above. Marth excels at the neutral game, but once you get him into a bad situation, it is very hard for him to get back to neutral. He also struggles killing you, so just don't get f-smashed/u-smashed for no reason or faired/uaired near the blast zone and you should be fine. Gimping is also very important, so an unexpected d-air at ~%70 can result in him being offstage and potentially an early kill.

Last edited:

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
What's the best method of edge guarding/punishing a Metaknight who will always recover using Drill Rush? My method is usually edgehogging before he's close to the edge to gain invinciblity frame and then either Tornado or SL him for the kill. What are the other options? Are they better?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Pretty sure Fair will outrange it.
In any case, invincibility will beat anything.

Top Bottom