• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
How do you glide past a ledge without grabbing onto it? I've seen some Japanese MKs do this.

I need some snake help too!
I'm a bit confused about the neutral position and approaching. On a stage like BF, is the strategy meant to be to slowly creep your way through the nade camping until you get just outside ftilt range and try to bait snake to attack first? If snake doesn't attack and stands there patiently, what should I be aiming to do to get in. I know that grabs against snake are really good, I'm having trouble getting them from the neutral position though. Also what are other forms of approach? Any help would be great, this is easily the most frustrating matchup for me.

Cheers

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
How do you glide past a ledge without grabbing onto it? I've seen some Japanese MKs do this.
After gliding down, pull up by pulling back(away from stage) and down. Practice in training mode for awhile, if you go just barely too far down you can accidently divebomb to the blast zone, too far back and you'll catch the edge.
I need some snake help too!
I'm a bit confused about the neutral position and approaching. On a stage like BF, is the strategy meant to be to slowly creep your way through the nade camping until you get just outside ftilt range and try to bait snake to attack first? If snake doesn't attack and stands there patiently, what should I be aiming to do to get in. I know that grabs against snake are really good, I'm having trouble getting them from the neutral position though. Also what are other forms of approach? Any help would be great, this is easily the most frustrating matchup for me.
Mix it up. Walk back and forth a lot, try to bait a ftilt, dash grab after the second hit, dthrow>dash attack>SH dair>fair>Uair string
Or something like that. Play 99 level 3 snakes and just combo. Then by playing real snakes you'll learn to approach/bait and punish/read his slow moves.

Also don't be afraid to camp for 4-8 minutes. Make your opponent hate to fight you. Dodge nades and wait for him to DACUS to approach you, punish it.
Stuff like that.

Here here

:phone:

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Hi !
I'm beginning with MK.
Any advices to fight opponents who use projectiles a lot ? ( TL for example ... )
Thanks !

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Glide, Grounded Shuttle Loop, Tornado if the projectyle isn't trascendant, and generally time your shield so you Powershield until you are in range.

It really depends on the matchup.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
how the **** do i fight wolf
I also don't know how to fight wolf. I can't approach him with tornado or a glide (I always get punished), and if I try to approach on the ground, I also have to shield the lasers.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I was watching a video of I think Otori vs one of the Japanese Snakes. He does something like a First hit bair -> uair -> fh bair -> repeat. It locked until like 54% or something on Snake.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can find the video or explain to me how , link meh please and thnx

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I was watching a video of I think Otori vs one of the Japanese Snakes. He does something like a First hit bair -> uair -> fh bair -> repeat. It locked until like 54% or something on Snake.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can find the video or explain to me how , link meh please and thnx
^ this was kind of what I was saying previously!

@lordhelmet didn't you save it to favorites or anything? I've been looking a lot of MK vs Snake videos but haven't seen one where this happens :/

talking about Snake MU... why does each and every single MK I know, watch or ask, have an easy time vs snake except me? ºnº

I don't know what the problema I have, but no matter how much I train, think, try new things, watch videos, or anything I just can't do well on that MU...

-I can't ever approach without recieving tons of damage or dying... I always explode or get grabbed/tilted, even if I'm in a "safe zone"... Or I get shield poked by his ******** dash attack/DACUS and he escapes
-Every time I try to juggle him he escapes very very easily or I just explode and that helps him land as I fly closer to the blastzone tan him... or die with the explosion
-For some reason every time I try to SDI his multi hit aerials it becomes useless and I never get out.

I don't have videos of myself attempting to play the MU, but I really really need help with that... don't we have somewhere a MU thread where I can at least read some stuff? :c

I apparently need a guide for this MU... The only way this becomes easy/playable for me is when the Snake thinks it's a good idea to approach with a DACUS or something as stupid as that :/

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I am probably worse at the snake mu than you, but I started doing a few things that helped me with it.
1. If I read an ftilt, I will walk back a little and fsmash. This is very risky and you have to space it right or you will get hit. This is probably a very bad idea but i still do it.
2. Don't always chase snake when he is in the air if your getting hit. Sometimes you can punish their landings by just waiting for them to do something.
3. Some snakes iv'e played before liked to hold grenades, bait dash grabs and spot dodge. You can try to punish this by using a tornado, wait for the grenade to explode, and then hit the snake with tornado.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I was wondering, how do I do the Shuttle loop platform canceling?

Give me another positive aspect of stale-move negation other than combo-ing

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I was wondering, how do I do the Shuttle loop platform canceling?

Give me another positive aspect of stale-move negation other than combo-ing

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Make a custom stage with a lot of platforms (the ones you can go through) and practice shuttle loop canceling until you can do it easily. When you learn how to do it there, you should be able to do it on all stages. It's very hard to do on Yoshi's Island though.

I did not want to double post.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How can I stop getting hit by Olimar's fair when I try to punish his landing?
I try to shield it so I can punish right after, but it comes out so fast.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
How can I stop getting hit by Olimar's fair when I try to punish his landing?
I try to shield it so I can punish right after, but it comes out so fast.
I'm sure instead of shielding you can try to just space yourself away from it and punish without shielding at all.

Tesh

Smash Hero
or you could just tornado him or predict the fair and shield before you see it coming out

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How should I play vs Zelda? I know it's one of Zelda's worst mu's, but I am terrible at it. I usually get hit by at least 70% of her smashes and half of her side b's, and I die very early, mostly to a fair or usmash. Sometimes I get hit by her neutral special when I approach. I've never played a real Zelda main, im just so bad at this mu that I lose to people who just choose her for fun.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Space well, bait her smashes and punish their lag, space well, shield everything, space well, learn the Din's Fire explosion timing (she actually moves a little few frames before the explosion), space well, learn her recovery (it's extremely lineal)... did I mention "space well" already?

On the ground she has good, ranged options, but they are few, and can be baited and punished pretty easily.
She's too light and floaty, and lacks of landing options. Any half-decent juggling work should do the trick.
Generally, MK's Fair will outrange, outspeed and outeverything pretty much every option of hers, leaving her to try to predict it and Usmash. That's where you try to condition your opponent and punish Zelda for whiffing her best punishing move.
Nair and Nayru's Love (my two personal favorite moves) get beaten by well-spaced and/or well-timed Fair.
You shouldn't get hit by her Lightning Kicks. Space better.

So, basically, grounded MK beats a grounded Zelda and juggles an aerial one pretty well. Air MK beats air Zelda, ground Zelda might beat an air MK but if she whiffs she's screwed.

Very rough, but that's some general advise.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mash the sticks as fast as you can into one direction to SDI its hits (say, if you are hit to the left (Zelda on the right), press the Analog Stick directly to the left and the C-stick directly upwards, both several times up so you pop out of it diagonally left-up).
I personally have never bothered to learn it nor know exactly how it works, so don't follow that by word. Experiment with directions and things that can or cannot work.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
If I get launched up by Snakes U-Smash, what should I do to avoid the mortar? N-Air? And are there any true follow-ups from D-Throw?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think Snakes Usmash is supposed to have a ste knockback? I think hte best way to avoid it is to aim to his back, but you'd have to (S?)DI at the right moment you are hit (very similar to Ivysaur's Bullet Seed). Also, if its knockback is set, don't be surprised if you get hit by it even if you try to avoid it.

To scape his Nair you have to hit both sticks to a direction that allows you to scape. Gererally is upwards, so you'd have to hit the stick up-right and the C-stick up-left (or viceversa) to get straight up.
It's a bit harder if Snake is moving, so you'd have to be quick to pick a direction. If he's moving backwards, you aim for your back. If he's moving forward, aim for his back.
Yes, it's a bit complex.

There are no "true" follow ups, except maybe against heavy characters at 0-5% or something (and MK if he DIs down, where you can buffer a Ftilt). But the opponent ends up close enough to you to force a reaction, a lot of them will DI down (and end up offstage), or DI up and Airdodge, attack, or jump. Try to get reads out of it.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Okay, but can, say, N-Air break the mortar? If I get launched and don't DI it, or should I just AD?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
None of MK's aerial attacks can clash with it, so none will break it.
And if you Airdodge, you still somehow get the hit generally.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
How should I play against D3 as MK? o-o I don't get to play it much, but the few times I have it was really awkward and I know it shouldn't be. :o

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Are there any good matches of MK vs R.O.B. as of recent? Also, should I be grounded or aerial vs him?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
it's a pretty bad Matchup for ROB, I doubt there would be many videos.
http://youtu.be/-sUzw9c_XR0

Agaisnt ROB everything is situational
>If he does have the Gyro, stay grounded and away, and wait for him to shoot so you can Shield it. This also helps against his Laser.
>You would be in the air while he is in the ground and can't throw a Gyro (if he just threw it) to Dair camp, and Tornado when he shields or jumps to you.
>While he's on the air, stay grounded and short hopping to juggle him (he's too floaty, everytime he's on the air he's on danger to get juggled). Uairs hurt him, Tornado hurt him, but he can time his aerials to try to beat them, so be careful.
>If you know he's going to throw an aerial, just shield it and punish, you should be fine.

Basically, stay grounded and shield when he throws projectyles (which will be a lot of the time), attack on the gaps of his moves and abuse his floatiness and bad out of shield options.
Also, be patient, ROBs use to be careful with their camp game.

Hope it can help.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
I'll try that out. Thanks alot :) My regular training partner plays R.O.B, so I'll try to get some videos up for critique.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Does anyone know how to get better at shielding on wifi?
I always get punished for shielding too long, especially when I play Peach or Falco.

lilseph

Smash Ace
So this isn't a gameplay question or anything like that for MK. But what ever happened to the Unity ruleset that everyone was using. Also, is MK legal or banned is North America nowadays? I haven't been around for awhile so I haven't been keeping up with this stuff.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@Xenon: well, you recognized your bad habit, that's step one.
After that it all becomes readings. If you read they are going to attack, hold it; if you read they are going to grab, dodge; if you know they are NOT attacking, you can try to read their defensive option and counter accordingly (charge attack for quick letgo's, grab for hold shield, etc).
So in the end it's some kind of RPS. Mix them up as best as you can.

@lilseph: Where are you from, again? :p
Unity Ruleset Comitee got disbanded, but he ruleset is still a basis for certain tournaments.
MK is generally legal, but depends a lot on the region, the event, the TO, etc.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
What stage should I counter pick if my opponent is very campy and I don't think I will have enough patience for another slow match?

BlazeTron

Smash Rookie
Don't Know the exact name for it... But how do you fsmash with metaknight as you run and then reverse while he does the glide?
Not sure if thats clear but when you run and then press the opposite direction mk fsmashes while gliding a bit.
Couldn't really find it on line thought i'd post here tnx.:urg:

Top Bottom