• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Lol Hmmm I kinda need to lrn mk vs zss? Anything particular things i should know, I kinda winged it vs this zss got Surprised like mess.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
-Doom- said:
Actually, chasing with uair is fine. You have to be precise and patient with it and follow her very carefully, but it generally ends up being extremely rewarding with the only risk being like 10% or whatever from her dair.

What you SHOULDN'T do is chase her with up Bs. The only time you should up B ZSS is when you KNOW it's going to hit, aka you baited her air dodge. Poke at her shield with dtilt and ftilt, but use them in the least laggy way possible. As slow as her grab may be, it's super long and she can shieldgrab your tilts if you do them in a manner that leaves a lot of frames open.

Since the only option she has is grab, she may roll away/behind or spot dodge. Punish accordingly. I like nair or dsmash for rolling behind, tornado for rolling behind and spot dodge, and dash attack/grab/fair for rolling away. Since you're kinda new, just know that you shouldn't have to react to the roll or dodge, but you should be able to guess when your opponent does it and preemptively input your punish. Also, she can grab your fair on block, or just pivot grab it if she predicts it.

Powershield side B and dsmash. If you want to win this matchup, you absolutely need to have these timings down, otherwise she's just going to ruin your shield and do all kinds of gay ZSS stuff. If you powershield side B, punish with a dash grab or dash attack. For dsmash, use dash grab, fair, up B, or dsmash. If you don't powershield, ZSS can shield/dodge/roll/jab before you can punish her.

Lots of ZSS players like to charge a paralyzer shot as you run forward and bait you to shield, then grab you right after. As MK, you have a ton of ways to avoid this. Jump out of your shield after the paralyzer hits you, roll backwards/spot dodge (time these well though, otherwise the lingering hitbox on the grab can snag you), or roll behind ZSS. You could also up B if you want, but make sure it's when ZSS is right near you and preparing to grab, otherwise she can react to this and up air you.

Something else very important is not to grounded up B very liberally. ZSS is fantastic at punishing this with uair and even bair. You can clash it with glide attack, but if you're not close to the ground, she can get another aerial out and hit you. Fair also straight up beats glide attack (first hit will clash, second hit will hit MK), but it's pretty difficult to get it out due to the small hitbox. Gliding at ZSS in general is a bad idea, if you don't grab the ledge from very low while recovering she can dsmash you which leads to a down B or bair into the stage (or just a killing side B/bair if they think you'll tech and you're at kill percents). Side B also ***** glides.

If ZSS is jabbing you, hold shield. Her jab doesn't actually combo into itself, and even though the full 3-hit jab has low lag, you can still shield the third hit and punish her with something. Her dtilt is extremely good and starts combos. Up tilt is super quick with a really gay hitbox, and is one of her best punishes if MK does something dumb on her shield such as ending the tornado near it. Make sure you end your tornado just slightly away from ZSS (out of up tilt, grab, and dash attack range) and always do the autocanceled landing. You'll probably end up getting punished if she blocks the full tornado, but if it isn't close to her, you can probably escape in time.

Edgeguarding ZSS is harder than people think at first, but also pretty **** easy at the same time. Generally she'll either use up B or an up air at the same time as her second jump if she's recovering low, then down B and/or tether to the edge. Her up air beats your dair handily, so just avoid her as she wastes her jump. Then it's all about the NAIR JORDAN, baby. Nair her all day and the weak hit will knock her out of her jump easily, and can also hit her down B before the kick comes out. Once you hit her out of down B, she can't use it again. Once down B and her jump are both gone, grab the edge and ZSS loses a stock. Also, if she down Bs and the apex of her jump is right on MK's head as you edgehog her, she can do a footstool and bounce onto the stage. Don't think you're entirely safe when she's close. Also, DON'T ***** OUT AND LET GO OF THE EDGE! Yes, up B can drag you down, but you're ****ing MK. You won't die from it.

If she's recovering high, keep refreshing the edge and wait for her to come near you, or jump up with some up airs or fairs. Sometimes they'll try to side B you as you chase her up high, just go under this and punish it with an aerial of your choice. Basically, the point is to force her to recover low or just kill her off the top/sides with an up air/nair. If you bait her air dodge, smack her with an up B. Gimping her from up high is significantly harder from down low, but it also leaves her with the difficulty of landing. Catch her landing with an up tilt or a tornado, or a grab if you so please.

On the edge, ZSS has a few tricks, but isn't anything to be feared. She can do huge ranged side B from the edge and either land onstage or refresh the edge. She can pseudo-plank with her down B, or fire paralyzer shots pretty safely. If you aren't super close to ZSS, don't bother trying to punish the side B, instead just shield it and get closer. If you're right in her face, or a smaller distance from the ledge, she's not going to side B. Tornado beats paralyzer shots and any ledgehop aerials she'll try. Ignore her planking, if you edgehog her she'll just footstool you. You can TRY dairing or nairing her, but I've never experimented with this and I'm not sure if she's vulnerable long enough.

ZSS'S LEDGE ATTACK ABOVE 100% IS SUPER GAY. Probably the gayest move in the game. It's SUPER long range (moreso than any of MK's grounded moves) and virtually unpunishable if you don't powershield. It also beats tornado since it does 10 damage. Just stand outside of the range of this move and wait for her next action, if you're not confident that you can powershield it consistently then don't bother trying to punish it.

She's got some dumb **** on MK once MK is in the air. Her up air is crazy good and will beat your dair head on. If you air dodge, she can uair again or bair you in the face. She can also do cool traps with up B that will either drag you down into a free hit (tech this if she tries it) or force you to air dodge, putting you in a bad position. Side B can also hit you out of the air if you're not careful, but it's telegraphed. The best way to avoid her juggles is to use your jumps to escape her as she chases you and then land as quickly as you can (or get near the ground and tornado, down B, grab the edge, etc.). Fast fall air dodge through her uair into your own uair strings or a nair work well.

While you're on the edge, she's going to try dumb **** like down smashing you or side Bing you. Just don't be predictable with your returns to the edge and you should be fine. Tornado loses to both of these things if you space poorly, and so does edge hop air dodge. The best way to get back is to move below and away from the edge (both side B and dsmash can't hit you here) and then either jump or tornado back carefully.
There you go

Skyline4lyf3

Smash Rookie
Quick question, I use MK and my friend uses falco. What I often find is that he will use Up+B, I jump and he's lured up while i come back down, causing him to do into freefall, giving me a window to punish him in.

What is the best move to use at that point? (At low, med and high percents)

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
Urk, now you guys are confusing me. I played around a bit, chasing CPUs off the edge and either using Fair or Nair repeatedly on them while giving pursuit. I think Nair does have better knock back. As for SL I'm totally unsure since I don't use it as and attack that often, and now you just confused me more.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
sorry for confusing you on a mostly irrelevant question. nair kills better than fair. PERIOD. knowing the exact knockback is irrelevant

irregardless if fair had more knockback (i would be that it doesnt though), its SOOO much easier to di and especially sdi that it should never kill.

if your going to complain when people try to help you it can kinda be annoying, sorry >_>

lilseph

Smash Ace
Well I've never been to huge tourny so i can't really say i have played against someone with insane DI. But as far as my local tournys go mid-air SL kills earlier for me than grounded. But i can see why you think i'm wrong, looking back on it i'm not exactly sure myself now.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Grounded kills at around 130% in FD on average. Mid-air SL can kill at about 10% lol.
Anyone who dies at 10% from a ASL has ****ing trash ****ty ****ed up Jupiterian DI and needs to learn.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i died at zero once on brinstar in a friendly because i read a uair and sdied dowd, so i could do that mr.doom ****. rage quit so bad XDDD

Kaffei

Smash Hero
LMAO @ u LMAO HAHAAHAHA

ok that doesn't count cus u're orion looool
how the fk does mr doom SDI like that anyway, does he actually do that **** in tourney??

Orion*

Smash Researcher
that would be some scary **** if someone did mr. doom SDI on me in tourny.
cable spiked me with DKs dair through delfino (mad disjointed ._.) at like 90% and i sdied through the stage and teched dat ****

i actually think my sdi/tech game is really good i just never let myself be in situations where id have to do something drastic like that ._.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just asking, do you guys ever use bair? I sometimes mix up and use it RAR'd with fullhop, it might even kill. Why do Metas say it sucks?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
the first 2 hits are good setups into gay ****

i prefer another move in some situations, but its a very "easy" way to kill someone offstage if you read a tornado imo.

it also lasts longer than most airdodges so if you can follow their DI you cant actually just cover all of their options its pretty gay.

but the last 2 things really shouldnt even be necessary if you set yourself up properly, uair trapping to nair and shuttle looping nado are better if you have that much time. its good to be aware of your options though

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Just asking, do you guys ever use bair? I sometimes mix up and use it RAR'd with fullhop, it might even kill. Why do Metas say it sucks?
I usually use it when landing after a couple dairs as a mix up (since it auto cancels on like the 1st or 2nd hit), when dropping through BF's platforms, or when I'm edge guarding in the ditto against Nado

Other than that I never use it at all.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I use Bair as an occasional replacement for B/Nair when punishing spot dodges. It's rather situational in that use, but Bair is pretty underused overall. The latter is part of why it's good as an occasional mix-up; people rarely expect it. It's also very good with Nair as a cross-up mix-up, especially since it's rather safe if you land behind their shield and auto-cancel it properly.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
O======

Realllyyyyyyyyy?

I mean you'd let?

You wouldn't rather have?

Are you serious?

Is there No other way?!

Ok, I'll do it.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Simple questions:

How do you dash attack cancel usmash?

And how do you glide and control the glide?

I'm just starting playing brawl but I can't find the info anywhere.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe Meta Knight can DACUS if you're asking about him in particular. To start gliding, hold the jump button when you are in the air. You can control your glide by using the control stick and holding up and down, although if you are gliding up and your speed starts to get low, your glide will end. Holding down while gliding makes you gain speed.

Luxor

Smash Champion
That's not it at all. It's way better to dash-->Cstick down for instant dash attack--> up+Z for Usmash. Also, every character can DACUS (you can perform that sequence with MK and get Usmash instead of DA) but only a few get a noticeable slide.
Start a glide by jumping with x/y and holding it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Also Meta Knight's DACUS is lol because usmash.
To learn gliding, just go temple and try to glide all around it until you get the hang of it.

GOD!

Smash Ace
k thx guys.

wow this place is light years ahead of general brawl discussion. And regional zones (mostly).

Top Bottom