• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Cheap, Overpowered, or Just Plain Awsome - The unOfficial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Anyone can pick up metaknight and play him well; that's why so many people do just that. You don't think there is a reason metaknight is so overused? Get real.

Actually your quite wrong. Many characters in brawl can be picked up and played well. Some are Marth, GW, Rob, Diddy. Many of these characters need spacing.

Phigo

Smash Cadet
OK, i'm not a pro... but, in my opinion EVERY single char can be an evil if played good... so i dont see any reason to speak in this way about mk like some of you do... but the most things actually were said, so there is not much more to say about that =)

finally i have totally to agree with "the-real-dan0"

so, dont be sad if your char has not so good recovery like mk and is not so fast by attacking and get instead better with yours, then flaming around...

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Phigo.. just no. MK is way, way better than the whole cast. (maybe not snake lol) He has an extremely low learning curve. Lets see... He out ranges most of the cast on the ground, very good air game, lack of lag on pretty much all of his attacks. A spammable attack most of the cast cant deal with (tornado) god like recovery, shuttle loop is probably one of the best moves in the game, and very few weaknesses. Yes, every sigle character can be played well but its so much easier with MK. just learn when to spam his broken moves and your set. MK is broken, dont argue other wise.

Ninja_Star

Smash Rookie
Just plain awesome. I have mained MK for ever. I have had my friend -Nappy bug me forever about it. "MK is broken and Cheap. Blah blah blah" It is really frustrating.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Everyone stfu no one cares.

like really Metas a fun character thats why i main him.

People like *cough* Mew2King *sniff* are peesha****z

X-Quizit614

Smash Rookie
There's a difference between luck and skill, and noob Meta-Knight players can easily use luck to their advantage. Yes, you can get a match won by spamming tornados and d-smashing but after a while, your pattern will be shown, and you could get embarrased.

A good Meta-Knight player never lets up. He always is attacking... always on the move... always a step ahead of his opponents. He has to, sense he don't have a projectile. I've learned to read people's reactions better with Meta-Knight. In order to use his full move list, it's essential. Most of Meta-Knight's attacks are very relentless. That could be dangerous in the hands of a good user. He has some very good moves that punish the foolish easily. I've chased people off levels and safely glided my way back to the stage before.

Meta-Knight is a bad ***... people are intimidated by it.

Phigo

Smash Cadet
Everyone stfu no one cares.

like really Metas a fun character thats why i main him.

People like *cough* Mew2King *sniff* are peesha****z
sorry if everyone except me knows the meaning of it, but... what means "stfu"? :O

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's alright dude^^^

It means Shut The [the F word] Up
I don't ever say it, because it's a curse.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Metaknight is overused
Like Rosy O'Donald is fat. :laugh: As a former Metaknight main, people really do need to start admitting that for his placement on the tier list, he does have a freakishly low learning curve, has like two match ups that aren't in his favor (Game and Watch and Snake), and is by far the best character in the game. Really, why are people horribly offended by this? It's the truth just as Fox was freakishly good in Melee. Here are the things that have been said in this thread and others that absolutely drive me up a wall:

1. "Metaknight is only hard to beat if you're a noob."

No, I'm sorry, that would be Ike. Also, if this were true, Metaknight wouldn't be dominating tournaments like he is and even putting professionals to shame.

2. "Metaknight isn't broken, Snake is."

I don't believe either character is broken but Snake actually has like 4-5 counters, Metaknight has one... Yep... Also, overall, Mr. Game and Watch is considered a better character than Snake but is less represented in tournaments. It should also be kept in mind that Metaknight has almost double the number of tournament wins that Snake has and I wouldn't doubt that it'll be triple or even quadruple by the end of the year.

3. "Metaknight can easily be camped by projectiles."

You know... despite the tornado having the ability to eat through like 95% of them. Also, he has multiple jumps, can glide, and is one of the fastest characters in the game. Compare the amount of time that someone like Ganondorf can be camped by something like Pit's arrows to the amount of time that Metaknight can and it's really easy to see that this is complete bull.

4. "Metaknight has like noooooo KO potential."

This one really annoys me... Dsmash is the fastest smash attack in the game and can easily be chained into other attacks. Fair into dsmash, dtilt into dsmash, nair into dsmash, dash attack into dsmash, and so on and so forth. Fsmash can easily be landed simply by connecting a dtilt. Shuttle Loop is just plain terrifying and can easily gimp a vast majority of the cast at like 60%. I also believe that the knockback from the slash that cancels the shuttle loop has more knockback than Metaknight's fsmash. His nair also has a decent amount. Don't even get me started on his gimping capabilites especially when he has not one by five methods of recovery with four of them being extremelly dependible or how fast he can rack up damage...

5. "Metaknight's way too light to be THAT good."

And yet he dominates all the hard hitting characters except Snake. Ganondorf? Say your prayers. DK? Say goodbye to the ground. Bowser? Wanna see three stock disappear? Ike? You might as well kill yourself now while you have the chance. Like I said earlier, Mr. Game and Watch is considered to be the second best character in the game and he's also the second lightest and that hasn't slowed him down a bit and Metaknight's like, what, the fourth lightest? Metaknight mains need to stop talking about Metaknight like he's Jigglypuff.

6. "Metaknight's range sucks."

And yet almost all his attacks has disjointed hit boxes and he's fast enough to constantly be in your face so that points moot. Also, if Metaknight's poor range was really an issue, do you honestly think he'd be widely considered to be a Marth counter? I thought not.

7. "Metaknight's too easily juggled."

Metaknight's tornado, nair, and shuttle loop would like to have a word with you...

8. "Metaknight's slow in the air."

His aerial attacks sure aren't. This combined with his ground speed make this arguement moot.

9. "Metaknight doesn't have a projectile so therefore he's not that good."

Neither does Marth, Wario, or Mr. Game and Watch... Also, Metaknight is definately an almost all out aggressive character with some of the best approaches in the game so does he even need one? Also, if projectiles were the only thing that mattered, don't you think Link wouldn't be borderline bottom tier?

10. "Metaknight is hard to learn."

Then explain why so many people use him and how he's basically been dominating tournaments since the game has come out. Also, don't you find it strange that when most people are having trouble with their mains, they almost automatically turn to Metaknight? Gee, I wonder why that is. Do I even have to mention how just about everyone and their grandma has him as a secondary if they don't main him?

So there you have it, Metaknight is retardedly good and there's really no getting around it. You can argue all you want that Metaknight's overrated but the data has been laid out in black and white. Honestly, I don't care if you main Metaknight, heck, you can play him exclusively if you want (which I know some of you do) but for Christ's sake tell it like it is instead of acting like everyone who has a hard time against him is a ****** and imagining the difficulty of the situation.

napZzz

Smash Hero
meta knight is very broked, OP, and unfair. Its pretty sad that when someone starts losing that get out meta knight and nado spam or such.

He should be banned to make tournaments fair.

I avidly use DK for one reason, Meta knight :)

Lucarioowl

Smash Apprentice
i like mk he is my secondary and he is most certainly the bomb he can go toe to toe with snake the top tier and master of tilts our little fuzz ball who keeps his identity hidden with a mask will one day claim the top tier with the addition of the infinity cape he has gained more power but its up to us not not let it be over abused so people will bann it lol it works well against those pesky final smashes long live the gimp masked friend to all MK

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eKQprvO58Q

Any questions? King Ace managed to win the tournament, too. Stupid whorenado.
If he won the tournament with that Meta Knight, then the people he beat need serious work on the MK match-up.

You can't generalize and imply that all MK's play like this and win. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

meta knight is very broked, OP, and unfair. Its pretty sad that when someone starts losing that get out meta knight and nado spam or such.

He should be banned to make tournaments fair.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Ok....so what do you mean by this pic response to my comment?

And sorry that you need meta knight to win matches ^_^

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Ok....so what do you mean by this pic response to my comment?
[/facepalm]

Your post contained so much fail it didn't even deserve a text response.

And sorry that you need meta knight to win matches ^_^
Says a Snake main... :laugh:

I actually have a lot of fun and do well playing as Dedede, and I'm getting better with him everyday.

Shows what you know :p

napZzz

Smash Hero
Hmmm sorry but I've actually mained DDD for awhile now....the only reason I keep snake around is for his hard match ups like meta knight >.<

DDD FTW!!!!

(not meta knights broken ***)

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Hmmm sorry but I've actually mained DDD for awhile now....the only reason I keep snake around is for his hard match ups like meta knight >.<

DDD FTW!!!!

(not meta knights broken ***)
If you're gonna keep *****ing about MK, please do it in your own boards.

We don't wanna hear it.

HW_Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
Ike is considered the most common noob character in my opinion.
I hate that >_>
ppl assume we`re noobs b/c we main Ike f that >_>

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm not *****ing, just talking about what the topic is about.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
If he won the tournament with that Meta Knight, then the people he beat need serious work on the MK match-up.
I watched that Peach, and I thought he was decent. The player merely wasn't prepared for the spam loop.

You can't generalize and imply that all MK's play like this and win. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
Not all, but most.

Not that we can really do anything about it (The most we can hope for is a soft ban), but it's still annoying to get your *** whorenadoed into next week.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
While MK does lack projectile type skill and has about a medium/short range of attacks, he makes up for it in speed. Hes quick to dodge attacks has good recovery, and while his air attacks are alittle floaty and slow, it makes him easier to read and follow. Espically Fair, Dair and his Tilt are some of my favorite attacks. I have been owned good by other meta knights before, and i've fought them as a type of 'rival' in basic brawl. You learn alot from watching your rival closely. And thats usually how i get better is by being owned really bad, yet practicing at the same time.

Snail

Smash Lord
I think he's cheap. And playing him takes skill, but a hell of a lot less than playing any other character at the same level.

That's all. Sorry guys, he's awesome, but still cheap. T_T

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I HATE MK users >_> all they need in the entire moveset is UP-B, Neutral-B and D-Smash. Disgusting fighters >_> there skill level is beyond questionable
Actually i never really use Shuttle Swoop in the heat of battle. D smash semi charged is better for KO's, but on the c-stick its good for those "omg get away from me" push backs, which i like. Neutral B is good for racking up hits usually and i use it mainly to punish someone after they've missed an attack and are in a state of lag.

The danger with shuttle swoop is the lock up delay after you use your second hit. Its highly dangerious to use in a 1v1 type of match, even in basic brawl matches too. I'd much rather stick to gliding!

But if you still disagree your more than welcome to par take in some mortal combat with me

HW_Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
Actually i never really use Shuttle Swoop in the heat of battle. D smash semi charged is better for KO's, but on the c-stick its good for those "omg get away from me" push backs, which i like. Neutral B is good for racking up hits usually and i use it mainly to punish someone after they've missed an attack and are in a state of lag.

The danger with shuttle swoop is the lock up delay after you use your second hit. Its highly dangerious to use in a 1v1 type of match, even in basic brawl matches too. I'd much rather stick to gliding!

But if you still disagree your more than welcome to par take in some mortal combat with me

Sure hes cheap nuff said :p
You can tell me all his minor weaknesses...but the fact is a 9 yr old can b a pro MK...Actually I seen a vid on Youtube about a young brawler that was exceptionally good w/ MK(and he didnt have to spam the whorenado, hes probrably the best/most honorable MK Ive seen)...If I can find it...

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I'm not *****ing, just talking about what the topic is about.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ummm...

From the OP said:
in this thread, we shall defend our honor as meta knight players. Meta takes skill to play. Contribute as to why Meta Knight is amazing, why he NOT CHEAP and why he is NOT A NOOB CHARACTER. Feel free to mention that hes just plain bad@$$ uber cool. Pics are welcome as long as they're not spammed.

NO FLAMING!!!!!
Try reading the OP next time.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I HATE MK users >_> all they need in the entire moveset is UP-B, Neutral-B and D-Smash. Disgusting fighters >_> there skill level is beyond questionable
Sooo... Much... Fail...

Mk's tilts and aerials are very important to his game. There's much more to his play-style than you say. Just because MK's can ******* your Ike doesn't mean he's cheap.

Sure hes cheap nuff said :p
You can tell me all his minor weaknesses...but the fact is a 9 yr old can b a pro MK...Actually I seen a vid on Youtube about a young brawler that was exceptionally good w/ MK(and he didnt have to spam the whorenado, hes probrably the best/most honorable MK Ive seen)...If I can find it...
So what if he's 9 years old? You can't justify what you think of MK by the age of the person using him.

What about Lil' Poison? He became an MLG Pro at Halo at 4 years old. Does that make Halo an unbalanced and broken game? No, it just means he's good.

How about you try finding ways to do better against Meta Knight instead of crying about him? You're just wasting your time complaining.

affinity2412 said:
I watched that Peach, and I thought he was decent. The player merely wasn't prepared for the spam loop.
Glad you agree with me.

affinity2412 said:
Not all, but most.

Not that we can really do anything about it (The most we can hope for is a soft ban), but it's still annoying to get your *** whorenadoed into next week.
You cannot be serious and say even most MK's spam shuttle loop like KingAce did in that match.

All you're doing is using that video to try and justify your weak arguments against Meta Knight. That's not going to work, even in a semi-intelligent debate.

Nothing MK has (other than the IDC) is going to get even a soft ban. Stop complaining about him and find ways to do better in the match-up.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
You cannot be serious and say even most MK's spam shuttle loop like KingAce did in that match.
Most MKs abuse the tornado and down-smash, although shuttle-loop spam is still common.

All you're doing is using that video to try and justify your weak arguments against Meta Knight. That's not going to work, even in a semi-intelligent debate.
I don't need the vehicle, I merely put it there because it showed just how little skill was required to be good with Meta. A skilled Meta is even worse, as it's leaps and bounds ahead of other characters used with skill.

Besides, look at Fatmanmonice's earlier post and try to counter that instead of wasting time on people who haven't even posted their entire arguments yet.

Nothing MK has (other than the IDC) is going to get even a soft ban. Stop complaining about him and find ways to do better in the match-up.
A soft ban would actually be helpful for the Metagame. Plenty of characters have HORRIBLE matchups against MK, making a lack of Meta useful for diversity. Just look at what happened when Old Sagat was soft banned in Japan.

I don't think Meta should be banned YET (Although the IDC should definitely be), but you can't deny that most n00bs use him as a way to the big shots.

And as someone told me in another thread, "I have the right to voice my opinion, no matter how much you hate it."

cutter

Smash Champion
A soft ban is useless when you're playing in a huge tournament. When big money is on the line, players will do whatever it takes to win; chaingrabs, infinites, certain moves/tactics, and of course whatever character.

Soft bans rely on the honor system which is fine in theory, but doesn't always work. Remember, the character is not officially banned. Either ban MK from competitive play completely or don't ban him.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
What about Old Sagat? He was soft-banned in Japan.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
A character is just a tool. It has to be in skilled hands to do well.
:chuckle:

Say that to Akuma from Street Fighter.

Some characters are easier to use than others. Some characters are better than others. Metaknight is both the easiest character to learn and the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom