• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Cheap, Overpowered, or Just Plain Awsome - The unOfficial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
Although he is easy to use he isnt easy to win when playing good brawlers...
maybe when u start the game u might think ure all good with Meta but you cant get really far unless you learn to really use him..

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, I just looked at your sig... Is MK a drug to you?
Although he is easy to use he isnt easy to win when playing good brawlers...
maybe when u start the game u might think ure all good with Meta but you cant get really far unless you learn to really use him..
I disagree.

When I say "good", I mean can you beat most average players. Now if you're MK, that becomes a heck of a lot easier to do. We agree on that. How bout this:

MK is a very good character with outstanding priority, speed, quickness, recovery, and gimping ability that's very good against most of the cast, and he's also very easy to get good at. Agree?
Once again, Agreed.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
MK is a very good character with outstanding priority, speed, quickness, recovery, and gimping ability that's very good against most of the cast, and he's also very easy to get good at. Agree?
This is a pretty good explanation. MK definitely has his tough match-ups, though. The problem right now, I think, is that MK happens to be tough match-up against most of the most popular characters.

MK does have one major weakness, though. He's easy to pickup and learn well. Nobody has any excuse for not knowing their opponent when their opponent is MK.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
wow your an idiot. meta knight isnt that cheep olimar is the cheapest pussi in the game. get over it
haha when your recovery goes to **** because someone hangs on the ledge you can say this. How many jumps does Metaknight have? Also doesn't he have a glide? Best or 2nd best recovery in the game? I guess I'm just blowing smoke metaknight has to be THE MOST balanced character ever.

I think you just cant get over the fact that youre not a versatile player enough to beat metaknight
Um no there is a way to beat MK an its called camping. The reason I don't ever like the match is I have to camp. If I could play it like any other match where I run in and just beat face all day that yeah it'd be fun.

Wow...I have 3 things to say to this.

Cry more.

Get better.

Learn how to spell.
One thing for you, I don't have three to mention, FIGHT ME!! lol If you want to harp on my spelling it just means you have nothing better to say in defense. I will take your MK on if you are ever in the FL area.

I acknowledge that he pretty (No, VERY) Easy to learn.

But then again, characters in Brawl for the most part aren't that hard to learn at all.
MK is not hard to use. That does not mean he is a "noob" character, however.

I've recently beaten Spamnado players with DK.

:chuckle:

Oh and I'm getting pretty ****ing sick and tired of people claiming X character in Brawl is broken. Did similar complaints arise from Melee characters such as Fox, Marth, Shiek, etc.?
Ok yeah he's the hardest to learn by far. Are characters broken in Brawl? Hardly. I think Brawl has to be the MOST balanced game Nintendo has ever made. There has to be absolutely no tiers in this game./sarcasm

If you want to debate that melee was more broken, I'll take that make a thread and I'll gladly defend melee.

But on the Gehnado as it's called here, yeah it can easily just be spammed and spaced easily, not to mention it breaks the shield if you happen to be stuck somewhere. But w/e

GG Fight Me if you come down to FL and I'll gladly have Olimar launch your *** back to where ever you came from.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
lol UP+B Down Smash and Forward can kill.

Meta is noob. I have a friend who plays Falco with all his heart and is good with him but when the tournament time comes he goes metaknight. You know why? Because MK is the gehest spammiest character in the game.

whew glad someone made a thread to let people vent.

Oh this is to defend Metaknight. ... lol he's something to defend.

Neutral B

Guarantee anyone who valiantly says "Oh I don't need that move to beat you!" Is a lier and just can't give up the fact that it beats most move in the game. Metaknight IS the gehiest character, geher than Marth and easier to play.

Neutral B. You just lost the game.
a "gehy spammer" 'eh. im going to use Pit as an example. (sry Pit mains) hes got a regular B spam. Plus you can control it. Hes got a side b spam which can also reflect projectiles. hes got ANOTHER reflector - his down B. hes got wings, he can glide, and hes got multiple jumps. not only that, his to "kill" moves are Fsmash and Bair.

mach tornado - most meta knight players know NOT to rely on this. a decent player will avoid this or overcome it. besides, marth has crazy range on his Fsmash and a counter. one counter and tornado is dead.

I think you just cant get over the fact that youre not a versatile player enough to beat metaknight
im assuming thats true

Question: Do MK mains regard him as hard to get good at?
easy to pick up, yes. whenever i play random and my friends meta knight, he will start owning me. but since i know meta's weaknesses, i can turn the tide and kill him. you have to really know how to play him to get good. i love playing as meta knight. even if he sucked, i would play him. most of the time, it depends on that character and the player on how good the meta knight is.

I acknowledge that he pretty (No, VERY) Easy to learn.

But then again, characters in Brawl for the most part aren't that hard to learn at all.
most of them arnt, at least on the surface.

being easier to learn, i think we should wait for other characters to be developped at their full potential before drawing any premature conclusions
I always wondered the same thing, there were cheap tactics in melee but no one complained, If done perfectly, fox could kill you around 25%(shine spine.)
I havent played melee ever since brawl came out so i dont remember why people didnt, but my friend told it is because brawl makes it easiler to hit people,rolling is a lot less effective and something else i cant remember.
But metas Dsmash and Up B are the only attacks that i cant stand. There so quick and have a lot of priority. Idk im still looking for a way to beat meta with link, links recovery was nerfed so bad though, it makes it hard. Any Meta can just grab the ledge so easily as soon as im going to get it. It makes gimpimg us easier than it should be.

Edit- is it me or can meta knight grab the ledge easier than anyone else..........running towards the ledge and quickly falling off right on it
rotfl ~~~~ lol
meta knight is amazing at gimping ill admit that.

One thing for you, I don't have three to mention, FIGHT ME!! lol If you want to harp on my spelling it just means you have nothing better to say in defense. I will take your MK on if you are ever in the FL area.
You were complaining you that Tornado spam was unbalanced. "Wahh Wahhh MK's Tornado waahhh wahh you can't do anything wahhh wahhh he's so ghey", not to mention in a very hard-to-read manner. I Think i'll pass on a trip to Florida just to fight someone who thinks a very beatable move is broken beyond belief and can do nothing but insult the mainers of him, I have better things to do with my spare time.

And no, do not ask me for an Online Brawl, that is the worst test of Smash skill possible.

Edit:And you think Marth is gay? Try IC infinites, DDD's CG overall, and Snake in general

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
You were complaining you that Tornado spam was unbalanced. "Wahh Wahhh MK's Tornado waahhh wahh you can't do anything wahhh wahhh he's so ghey", not to mention in a very hard-to-read manner. I Think i'll pass on a trip to Florida just to fight someone who thinks a very beatable move is broken beyond belief and can do nothing but insult the mainers of him, I have better things to do with my spare time.

And no, do not ask me for an Online Brawl, that is the worst test of Smash skill possible.

Edit:And you think Marth is gay? Try IC infinites, DDD's CG overall, and Snake in general
I'm sorry if I came across like that. As for hard to read, trying reading your first five words.

And no I never play online, and I really careless if you wish to fight me. Beat the current champ, MK main plenty today in friendlies.

Also I never said anything about Marth, IC, DDD, or Snake. If YOU want to complain about those feel free, I never mentioned them.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a pretty good explanation. MK definitely has his tough match-ups, though. The problem right now, I think, is that MK happens to be tough match-up against most of the most popular characters.

MK does have one major weakness, though. He's easy to pickup and learn well. Nobody has any excuse for not knowing their opponent when their opponent is MK.
I don't see his weakness... please don't say his power or his weight, b/c they don't matter. >_>

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
MK is overpowered. I don't think he is like totally broken though.

Other characters have other overpowered things too its not just MK. How about DDD and his swallowcide and CGs?

Or snake and his ******** f-tilt, u-tilt, snake dash?

Etc etc etc.

MK is clearly overpowered, not to the extreme but he is overpowered. It happens in a lot of games. Its what separates high tier characters from mid tier characters etc etc.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
I don't see his weakness... please don't say his power or his weight, b/c they don't matter. >_>
MK is overpowered. I don't think he is like totally broken though.

Other characters have other overpowered things too its not just MK. How about DDD and his swallowcide and CGs?

Or snake and his ******** f-tilt, u-tilt, snake dash?

Etc etc etc.

MK is clearly overpowered, not to the extreme but he is overpowered. It happens in a lot of games. Its what separates high tier characters from mid tier characters etc etc.
weight makes a huge difference. if you dont know this, it show how much of a n00b you are, power is also a huge factor. what if meta knights attacks had bowser's power at meta's speed? Holy ****, now that would be broken. he has weaknesses, but people keep complaining about him instead of exploiting them.

EDIT: i dont mean to say that you're a n00b but weight, size, speed, power, etc. all make a difference. there are so many subtleties to the game that affect gameplay. /edit

i agree, meta is slightly over powered but brawl is much more balenced then melee (pichu vs. fox ~~ WTF??) its a lot easier to counter pick.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
LOL. guys, meta kight is kinda cheap and op'd in the hands of a skilled player. I have like 15 friends that play smash in tournies and stuff. they all main meta knight, but i pretty much win 80% of the time against all of them, even with the space animal's easily gimped recovery. that could mean that they all suck but i think meta knight is pretty straight forward and can be beat if the opponent starts to analyze the player's patterns.

As far as i see it, there are a few things that give MK trouble.
1. heavy characters with good ko moves (Snake, DK)
2. projectiles (TL , Snake)
3. can't think of anything else.

Edit: um.... is there a match up guide for this guy? I would at least want to know how MK would go about ****** each character.
I'd like to add that i can't seem to play MK effectively. he's just not my style, but i do like that space animals tho.

GRAMMARLOL

Smash Rookie
Why are people vaguely talking about MK's weaknesses as, well, plural? He has one: weight. That's it. As for power, it's really not a weakness, as his ability to quickly do damage AND kill at early percentages basically accomplishes the exact same thing excess power does.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not sure if I agree with brawl being more balanced than melee.

Honestly I don't think that at all.

In melee pools for state wide tournies I went M2,YL,Luigi, and doctor Mario and came out first in my pool. I've done a lot of stuff like that in other pools as well.

And I have and can beat foxes with pichu its not nearly as bad as people make it seem.

I'm not trying to say pichus can beat foxes often but its far from impossible.

I'm not sure I wanna go Lucas vs marth :( and thats not even bottom tier vs top tier :(

waks

Smash Journeyman
I dont think Brawl is more balanced than Melee because of one character, and that is Snake :p

DEV64

Smash Apprentice
MK rules period and anyone who says hes cheap obvesly plays noob MK's who spam tornado which can be beat. Bottom line is MK kicks ***.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Snake G&W and MetaKnight won't be where the are now next year. That or they won't be alone.
I'd have to disagree. There aren't any other characters that have blatantly overpowered characteristics like them. The only characters I see even getting close to where they are (that aren't already) are TL and Luigi.

MK is overpowered, but not broken or any of that nonsense. He's simple to pick up and win with if played correctly. Of course higher level play takes more skill to win as MK (as with any other character...) but MK is much easier to get to that point with. His advantages are just too great.

People have been arbitrarily saying that he's "balanced" because of his "weaknesses". We've been focusing too much on his weaknesses when we should, instead, take a look at his truck-load of strengths.

+Nearly a lagless character
+Excellent priority
+Excellent range
+Excellent speed and comboability
+Edgeguarding simply second to none
+Above average kill power
+Incredible recovery
+Tornado...

Now, what're his weaknesses?

-Lightweight

Wait, doesn't that make him less susceptible to combos and CGs? Doesn't that make his DI out of attacks better than most?

-Power

Fsmash, Dsmash, UpB, and his Gliding attack all have great KO power. And if you don't finish your opponent, just get out there and start edgeguarding, one of the areas he excels at. Honestly, his "weakness" of KO power was rubbed out in the first few weeks of Brawl's release.

Of course he's not insta-win, that guy's name is Snake (lulz), but he's not hard to use if you compare him to any of the brawl cast.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
I have nothing to say lol. You summed it up nicely. I was just trying to be hopeful really.

Lightwieght is a bigger con than you make it out to be though. He can be easily upsmashed into oblivion during his ground game.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I have nothing to say lol. You summed it up nicely. I was just trying to be hopeful really.

Lightwieght is a bigger con than you make it out to be though. He can be easily upsmashed into oblivion during his ground game.
True, it's a double edged trait. He'd, indeed, be cheap broken, and whatever else if he wasn't easily KO'd. It's all any of his opposition has to hope for.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Mk Players Deserve Respect Its True that Anyone Can Use it Bc Its A great character But To Really Master Him Takes Time, Just Like Any Other Character

Desire

Smash Journeyman
,, meta K is Fast, Overpowered, Amazing Recovery, Some Of Best Tilts In Game + Best Edgehog, He Is Just Plain Gay N Kool . Mk dont takes skills.

-spacing
-grab
-edge guard
-relax,,
and u win,, mk can go 2 hell

meta master

Smash Journeyman
,, meta K is Fast, Overpowered, Amazing Recovery, Some Of Best Tilts In Game + Best Edgehog, He Is Just Plain Gay N Kool . Mk dont takes skills.

-spacing
-grab
-edge guard
-relax,,
you have no idea how to play him do you?

Quez256

Smash Journeyman

-spacing
-grab
-edge guard
-relax,,
Ok, fast; on the ground, yes, in the air, no.
Overpowered; .....not going to elaborate on how wrong this statement is.
Recovery; ok, I'll give you that one.
Edgehogging/Gimping; And how is this a problem? That's really all he's good at doing.
Doesn't take skill...this reeks of ignorance.

Spacing, grabbing, & edgeguarding effectively with ANYONE can win a fight.
Mhmm, a bat out of hell indeed.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Utter bull, meta is cheap, plain and simple. We're gonna see a lot of tourney players using him because he was built to win, plain and simple. If you wanna talk about skill, look at my main mario. IT TAKES SKILLS TO WIN WITH MARIO!!!! However, i hardly ever use meta and can still win with him without trying. Pretty much meta takes melee shieks place as a pick up, easy to win, character...

Doomed

Smash Rookie
Agree with the complainers. MK is really cheap, any noob can easily kill any character even without spamming tornado. It's easy to use and incredibly powerful for a character able to fly. He's not very difficult to master and most players can use his advantages over other characters to win easily.
Against pros I don't think a noob MK could win, even spamming tornado. So yeah, he's overpowered, but we still have to see more before judging his practical use in tourneys.

Master Raven

Smash Master
You guys can probably beat MK if you spent more time learning to fight him instead of *****ing about it.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Meh, I haven't read many of the posts in this thread but I'll just say MK is a good, easy to play with character. He is this games Shiek. But he isn't unbeatable and with practice he can be managable. I just try and play as Snake whenever someone picks MK though. :)

Pi

Smash Hero
Meta knight's moves come out fast, last a decent amount of time, so they are hard to spot dodge or air dodge, and even if you do manage to air dodge or spot dodge them they end quickly so he can throw another one out there if you're even just a wee bit off in your grab timing, and if you're in the air you're just SoL.

He can ****ing FLY, so he's getting back to the stage, as if anyone was prepared to go out and actually attempt to GIMP him, I'm thinking a well timed snake nade, or maybe a Samus Zair could do the trick, that is, if he's being extremely predictable. MK can simply alternate between fast falling and gliding, or just fast falling and jumping, or hell just make a really high recovery out of the range of Samus or Snake.

He is small, so larger attacks don't ****ing hit him, his UB is ****ing HUGE and STRONG and you can do it out of a SHIELD. He has a decent grab, unlike some of the other cast. He is FAST. He has a god **** SWORD that he whips around at the speed of light FFS.

What weaknesses are you talking about? And how can you possibly use them to justify him as a non-broken character, are you completely forgetting every other characters weaknesses? And how their strengths don't even compare to MK"s?

I really don't know why you make this thread, Metaknight is probably the best character in brawl. He lacks ranged attacks, but he is small and fast and has multiple jumps and more than half the cast lacks ranged attacks. And if all else fails ****ing press B.

Look, he is in the game, he is there to use, it's your choice if you want to use him, everyone should understand that and shut up. If you seriously are going to complain about someone using MK because you feel like you have no chance of winning then ****ing choose metaknight! There is ALWAYS a way to win with ANY character, if you can't find that with yours then it's not a character problem, it's a user problem. It is far easier to win with MK than any other character in the roster, that's a ****ing fact, there is no use defending it and there is no use pointing it out. If you can't win using w/e character you use then shut up about it, nobody gives a ****, you're not doing anyone any favors by johning that some character is broken or cheap. And the sooner everyone just accepts that MK is a 'broken' character, the better.

the-real-dan0

Smash Rookie
metaknights strengths:

fast on the ground
high priority attack
can glide, twice before hitting the ground
every special can be used to recover to an extent
has 6 jumps
little lag after attacks with the exception of his left and right specials
infinite dimensional cape if you have the thumb dexterity to pull it off for extended periods of time

weaknesses:

average strength at best, lets be honest here he does damage with his speed not his strength
piss poor directional influence in the air
lightweight ergo easily knocked about and out
no projectiles
very few killing moves, D smash and U special come to mind but that's about it

in all i'd say that's fairly balanced, sure anyone can pick him up and spam his tornado but then we all started there back on SSB or SSBM with link's spin attack, pikachu's thunder, samus' charge beam and so on. The big difference is now the tornado is slightly harder to counter although far from impossible. it's completely open from vertically above so be imaginative, hell even sonic can easily counter it with his D air

and i wouldn't call him broken, most character's are glitched, lets not forget that wave dashing was a glitch, the infinite scope was a glitch as were many other so called advanced techniques. the dimensional cape is just another advanced technique to get your head around, if you can't predict where MK is going to reappear and retaliate accordingly then there's something wrong with you because it's stupidly easy if you have even a basic idea of how the camera works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom