• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

martyrofevil

Smash Cadet
MK looks amazing, I love characters with good recovery. Dimensional Cape looks like such an awesome move. I'm not sure who I think will be the best but, I'm thinking it's either MK or Ike

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
hey timmy, which tier would you give mk (if he where in melee)?
would he be better, than marth?
you said marth is better than mk
I dont think so after I watched this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYIffOx5z8
Frozzn, you asked about Meta and Marth in Melee and then say I'm wrong by comparing them in a Brawl video... vs. CPUs...

Please don't bother posting questions to me if it's not going to be worth my time to answer.

BTW everyone, I will be updating this Guide soon because I have imported a copy of Brawl from Japan. :)

Kamaji

Smash Ace
Thanks for the guide timmy, I've only played mk a couple times, and that gave me some good ideas to incorporate.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Expect a BIG update this Monday. I have been playing the actual copy (import) and many, many things have changed since E For All. The update will be amazing.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm going to post here to avoid annoying people with more "does this character even HAVE a weakness" threads.
So I'm going to make a "does this character even HAVE a weakness" POST.

What I keep hearing about Metaknight is that he doesn't have good KO moves, but from I saw in Gimpyfish's videos, that seems like complete bull.
Now I know that this is Gimpyfish we're talking about, but the fsmash ( I assume it is the fsmash ) seems faster than almost any other fsmash, it has big range and it cleanly KOs people at around 100%.
Meanwhile I keep seeing Metaknight surviving to absurd %s because he leaves no openings for any of the OTHER characters KO moves, which apparently have to be better than his, right? And even when a strong move does hit him he never gets KOd and flies safely back to the stage, even when he's edgeguarded one or two times.
Meanwhile Metaknight is a born edgeguarder in a game where edgeguarding is extremely hard.

So in essence, he's hard to kill because of weight, recovery and lack of openings and he has an easy time KOing because he can gimp recoveries, use his one instantly strong KO move and simply get his opponents to astronomical %s because he's great at building up damage and surviving for a long time.

The only weakness I've seen him display is that his recovery sometimes makes him hit the bottom of the stage and it doesn't go very high after the initial rise, so I guess he could be KO'd by meteoring him at a point somewhere very far at the edge of a stage.

Did I miss anything here?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
He's very light weight. The reason why you see him surviving to ridiculous percents is because his opponents don't know their KO moves yet, or cannot sweetspot them. Characters like Ike and Zelda can destroy Meta Knight because of their amazingly powerful moves.

Edgeguarding in general is harder in Brawl. Meta Knight's best bet is to go out off the stage and strike for the KO.

Meta Knight is really weak. Even his F-smash isn't that great when fully charged. If you're trying to KO someone you're going to need them to be at high percents or hit them while they're already near the edge of the boundaries.

Like I said, this game has changed noticeably since the demo, and Meta Knight has too. I'll go into more detail with my guide's update.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Like I said, this game has changed noticeably since the demo, and Meta Knight has too.
The videos I was talking about weren't of the demo, though... or were they?

Hmm, so basically, Metaknight kept winning because Gimpyfish is Gimpyfish and has been using MK a lot, while Lucky is not Gimpyfish and has been trying to use a variety of characters. Fair enough, I suppose.

As long as everyone has a fair chance against everyone, it's all good.

Very nice guide, although I found a mistake: you said that it is easy to CC his dash attack, but CCing has been removed from the game.
Actually, CC'ing was in the E For All demo, but removed in the final build of the game.

I just know that Meta Knight was nerfed badly. I dragged so many people off of the stage with his Forward B (All of which didn't even know how to recover with the Wiimote). XD

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
hey, nice guide timmy.
i just started playing this game two days ago after getting my wii modded. i decided to main meta knight because of how quickly i could adjust to his amazingly fast attacks and crazy combos lol.
he's pretty much the character with the quickest attack speed in brawl, from what i've seen.
at first i was having problems killing with him.
i then learned to just try to rack up a ridiculous amount of damage very quickly then kill.
i found his up air effective for killing against peach at very high percents. i may have been hitting the the sweet spot of his sword though when using it as a kill move. really not sure where that is though. if you know tell me though lol.
i also used his up B to kill a lot. at high percents jab to up B is a great kill move.
his combos are great too. i can usually get people into a combo of 5 up airs in a row carrying characters up high into the air with it.
i would use the cape for mind games sometimes, but rarely. how would you suggest using it?

i'm getting some videos up sometime this week so i'll post them here.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
There is a vid in.........GIMPY PLAYING MK?!?!?'s thread where he spikes Dedede with Dair, so it isn't "beleived" anymore, it does it in an angle downwards. Not very fast or hard though, like it was beleived. And everytime I check back here, the thread looks prettier haha.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
fantastic update mate, i enjoyed reading this a lot. im very glad to see that Mach Tornado is an underrated move. thanks for the hard work and the info =)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I couldn't even at the E4All demo. >_>
I'll have to wait for you to get a copy and show me how to do it. lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You're getting off topic.
(Your videos are probably in the Melee section, which I don't really go to much. You'll just have to wait for me to mosey on in there. And ... I'm almost done with the DDM vid! Oops, off topic again)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
No, I was mostly on topic >.>

The teleport jump, here to be referred to Reaper Stepping, was just a teleport, jump then whatever you wanted >.>. It should be noted that it only worked for me(in the demo) if Meta Knight DIDN'T attack out of it, so it was more for movement/recovery(or stalling if your an ***hole like me)

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Awesome update T!mmy!!! Very useful, he certainly changed a lot since E for All. Overall, do you think he;s better, worse, or not too different?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
At first I thought he was worse because of the nerf to Drill Rush and how much lighter he seemed to have become. But then I found out they buffed his chances of KO (slightly) with certain moves (F-smash and Shuttle Loop seem stronger).

I think even those slight changes make him better, even taking into consideration the nerfs. And his Mach Tornado is too good. >_>

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Yea i got to play brawl yesterday and used meta in team macthes MetaKnight + Pit = Broken as hell we beat every team there >.< and it was our first day playing and theve been playinhg for over a week >.< just wow is all i have to say. And Mach Tornado is amazig since it seems they cant DI out of it.

DoodahIII

Smash Rookie
Woo I Love Meta I Am Gonna Main Him And Ike. As A Future Update, At The End I Think You Meant To Say "masahiro Sakurai" Not Amahiro Sakurai.

Subtle

Smash Cadet
Down B will be a good recovery option, or a good replacement for a roll. It also has good use as a mind game, of course. Hit them with it in the back a few times, then land where you were standing and do a dash grab.

I think its best use will be interrupting melees in mutliman play, teleporting into 3 people and hitting them all

Top Bottom