• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks for mentioning the mistakes in the guide - I will correct them in the next update.

S

sn1per13

How much better than Kirby is Metaknight (Attack percentages, recovery, etc.)? And is he better than Dedede?

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
t!mmy said:
At first I thought he was worse because of the nerf to Drill Rush and how much lighter he seemed to have become. But then I found out they buffed his chances of KO (slightly) with certain moves (F-smash and Shuttle Loop seem stronger).

I think even those slight changes make him better, even taking into consideration the nerfs. And his Mach Tornado is too good. >_>
Thanks! Good to hear. He seemed great even at E For All, and I was worried cause people are still saying his KOing stinks. He's got a very unique edgeguard, he doesn't guard the edge as much as he does the air around it!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I added a big update to the guide everyone. Look under the "Strats" section for all sorts of goodies.

Gray, I think your question is now coincidentally answered in the guide. :)

Phydeaux742

Smash Rookie
Really like this guide ;D
Been playin the game for about a week or so now and i really like meta knight and plan on maining him. Some things i've found to be possible combos / tactics are as follows.

Killing Blows
From waht i've gathered of meta knight so far, he hits like a little girl, the kicker is that he hits like a girl a LOT so use it to build up dmg and follow w/ either of these.

Uair, uair, uair......(as many as you can string) then Up+B.
The Up B is a great finisher with the first hit b/c it does a considerable amount of damage and being all the way up in the air, you have a great chance up killing them either up or off to the side.

Dair = win

Shorthop + Dair =golden. Its got great knockback and does a decent amount of damage for meta knight. get em to the edge w/ Dair and you can edge guard the hell out of someoen with the same tactic jus off the level.

IMHO i think Meta's Dair is going to be his best move, but theres a lot of time still before a call like this can be made :D

Ike_Rules_A7X

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight is quick character that i use, because he can get a character such are falco to 50% in 30 seconds, sure hes weak in singlaur attacks but he can total up damage very fast, then SMASH or flip glide while in the air. theres only one thing worng with Meta. that is that if you use a speacl move in mid-air, your stuck with a free fall, leaving him wide open to a up smash. which, in the long run, can be deadly.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
t!mmy, I owe you! I finally got the game, and I main MK. Thanks to your guide, I know all sorts of strategies, combos, and other ways to use Meta Knight effectively! It's really appreciated, I'm know one of the most formidable of my friends (that update on easy ways to kill with MK was great, I don't have much trouble at all getting KOs now!). Meta Knight is such a great character, even though it took me a few matches to get used to his playstyle I am now really good with him. I thank you, from one Meta Knight user to another. Victory is my destiny!

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Put in the reverse UpB onto stage yet?

Basically reverse UpB under the ledge and you'll land on the stage, in front of the edge. Too lazy to explain more, just try it yourself.

D

Deleted member

im working on a miscellanious guide for meta right now. you can quote me in your guide if you want =D

there are some similar things i came across we put so if you do qoute it just get the parts you need =0

teamrocketspy621

Smash Cadet
Hey, I have a good tip/tactic that may prove to be useful: While it's dangerous to use your Jab a little too much, if you can catch your opponent in it, try to rack up as much damage as you can without leaving enough time for you your opponent to respond, then unexpectedly DSmash with the C-Stick (or, if you prefer, the Standard attack button and Control stick, but you've got to be able to let go quickly so as to get the DSmash in). It's got great speed and KO potential when used correctly, and you can do the DSmash near-immediately out of a Jab. It's great for catching an opponent who thinks you're spamming your Jab off their guard and preventing close-range counter-attacks. I've used it a few times for KOs and other times just for racking up damage and knocking the opponent away before they can counter-attack.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I have a good tip/tactic that may prove to be useful: While it's dangerous to use your Jab a little too much, if you can catch your opponent in it, try to rack up as much damage as you can without leaving enough time for you your opponent to respond, then unexpectedly DSmash with the C-Stick (or, if you prefer, the Standard attack button and Control stick, but you've got to be able to let go quickly so as to get the DSmash in). It's got great speed and KO potential when used correctly, and you can do the DSmash near-immediately out of a Jab. It's great for catching an opponent who thinks you're spamming your Jab off their guard and preventing close-range counter-attacks. I've used it a few times for KOs and other times just for racking up damage and knocking the opponent away before they can counter-attack.

jab?do you mean his standing nuetral?or his f-tilt?

M3TAMA5T3R

Smash Rookie
hey great guide man, thanks a lot.

Maybe in the future you could make an even more in depth guide with youtube clips and stuff. I'd like to see some meta vs. specific character strategies. or an in depth KO or edge hogging with meta tutorial.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
t!mmy this is an amazing guide. i love you?

wow i havent posted in a long time.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
No. If he did, he would be ridiculously good instead of just really good. And I'd love him even more. XD

Coonace

Smash Rookie
He's so good at aerial edge guarding already, a meteor smash would make him, as stated above, ridiculous.

First post by the way. Been playing Smash since N64, glad I found these boards.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I know he can run into an up smash (as can anyone else), but as for cancelling the running attack I'm not sure

Wekk

Smash Rookie
At lower Percentages yes, but doing dashing attach into Utilt is usually better anyhow

Polish Rifle

Smash Cadet
Yeah, TRS, I totally know what you mean by using the jab as a set up. At low percentages I like to jab a little and then go into up-tilt or forward-tilt and then at high percentages apply the smash. It takes a little practice to get the timing down and you have to have correct spacing or you get dominated if you start jabbing and you're too far away.

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, TRS, I totally know what you mean by using the jab as a set up. At low percentages I like to jab a little and then go into up-tilt or forward-tilt and then at high percentages apply the smash. It takes a little practice to get the timing down and you have to have correct spacing or you get dominated if you start jabbing and you're too far away.
Ooo, this is good stuff. Works well.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
I really prefer not to use his jab.
I find that it is kinda weak and easy to escape.
The dsmash trick sounds nice, but I feel like it won't help until you get the enemy in close range.
But I will still add it to my list of tricks and combos. (i have a 55% combo that works on medium - heavyweight chars)

mafesto

Smash Apprentice
there are like no Aussies at SWF. it is just good to know somebody else is an Aussie

Im Aussie! God I cant wait for Brawl. :urg:

Also this guide rules! I am maining Meta Knight. I have only played Squeak Squad and Nightmare in Dreamland. I want to play more games with Meta Knight. Any suggestions?

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
dair makes a good killer move at high percentages.

TO ALL META PLAYERS.
I RECOMMEND THAT YOU LEARN ALL USES FOR NAIR AND DAIR.

They can both be lethal if used correctly.

valtiel

Smash Journeyman
I've been testing it out, but meta can chain grab correct?

I have been able to do two down throws in a row on certain characters on low percentages.

Top Bottom