• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
actually terranox you seem to know what you are talking about BUT the questions some people ask are usually along the lines of " how do i beat a spammer"? ....and then u tell them .... but ABOUT THE help me beat _____ thread ...... how about ask question get awnser thread?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I don't think you've been around long enough to notice this, Goblin, but those threads usually fall flat. Character matchup threads do pretty well, though. Unless there aren't any strategies to be consistently useful at the point at which the character matchup threads are made.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Ummm... isnt the thread where we are discussing this considered a guide? I'm not sure anymore...

But yeah thx. Zephyr I know that you would be a great help to the thread I'm planning to do

And Zephyr does indeed have a point in those types of threads the moment the question is asked then answered the thread is almost immediately dies out because it has served its purpose. I'm merely tired of redundant threads like "Meta Knight Chain Grabbing Possibility" thread and the "Can Meta Knight Chain Grab?" thread. The answer is YES I cant count how many times I have to say this but the threads keep coming. So my objective is to make one large thread to stop the also redundant "How can I beat Insert Character Here" threads. And its true that its too early for an elite official guide to Meta Knight user's Anti- Every Character thread but I'm want to work on a large project/ thread to help the whining, redundant, cant figure anything out for themselves so they have to ask every question, self centered, rule breaking, players of the proud Meta Knight users community.

If people are wondering if I'm a hater no I'm not, its just that after being in this community for a while and got my way around (many thanks to Zephyr to do so) I want to make thread once in a while that will Last and actually be useful in the long run.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
Ummm... isnt the thread where we are discussing this considered a guide? I'm not sure anymore...

But yeah thx. Zephyr I know that you would be a great help to the thread I'm planning to do

And Zephyr does indeed have a point in those types of threads the moment the question is asked then answered the thread is almost immediately dies out because it has served its purpose. I'm merely tired of redundant threads like "Meta Knight Chain Grabbing Possibility" thread and the "Can Meta Knight Chain Grab?" thread. The answer is YES I cant count how many times I have to say this but the threads keep coming. So my objective is to make one large thread to stop the also redundant "How can I beat Insert Character Here" threads. And its true that its too early for an elite official guide to Meta Knight user's Anti- Every Character thread but I'm want to work on a large project/ thread to help the whining, redundant, cant figure anything out for themselves so they have to ask every question, self centered, rule breaking, players of the proud Meta Knight users community.

If people are wondering if I'm a hater no I'm not, its just that after being in this community for a while and got my way around (many thanks to Zephyr to do so) I want to make thread once in a while that will Last and actually be useful in the long run.

but how can you make a decent guid with so little known aboutt the game *Reads thread made befor game was out based un metaknight* Okay so it can be done but how are u going to get the information .....?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I think I get where Terran's going with this. He knows it won't be perfect, it'll be just like the Brawl tournament scene is right now. Experimental. Tentative. Subject to change. Nothing is set in stone. Terran, have you got an AIM or Google Talk or something? We can chat this over so we can make a character strategy thread.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Whoop... Speak of the Devil another (mind you) ANOTHER one of these threads came up just now a "Meta Knight vs. Dedede" thread

Okay... this definitely needs to stop and I will PM you on about this because further talk about my plan to make this help thread will be quite long I only want to ask for anyone else's help to make thread I'm planning to make this thread come to life if you are interested somehow let me know (via this thread, PM, and etc.) Yeah these threads is a must leave.

As Zephyr pointed out this thread will not be perfect but it will be a thread that will evolve over time and as for now we can only do with the resources we have: Our personal experience, tell/ express what we know, find good videos, and last but not least read threads... Trust me even though we only had the game for a little bit you'll be surprised what info is hidden deep and buried in the Meta Knight section and what people gathered in the SSBB Tactical Discussion section. So it wont be that bad but its definitely far from I imagine you imagining to imagine the imagination of the "Perfect Thread"

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
okay great ..........but ifyou guys need N.E help i would more then be willing to send/get some info ......should one of US set up a temp thread like this ?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Tell you what. Terran and I will make the thread to begin with, then we'll have anyone with suggestions to post it. If it's valid, we'll put it in the appropriate spot and give credit where it's due. It seems to me that this is the best way to go about things. But enough talk! Terran and I will get this going...whenever he gets the chance to add me to his chat list on gtalk. XD

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
I have heard that you can D-smash out of sheild, but when I try and use D-smash (via C-stick, or A + Down) I do a sidestep out of sheild

Can anyone explain the proper way to do it?

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
nice guide, of course it's gonna change loads, the game hasn't even been realesed in all major video gaming continents! but its useful for now!
anyway a few things i think might be useful in there are grabs... or attacks that lead up to grabds, i tend to use down throw -> either SH f-air, SHnair, down special, dashed upsmash, running attack, mach tornado.... it really keeps my opponents guessing and theres a solution to almost any DI.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I have heard that you can D-smash out of sheild, but when I try and use D-smash (via C-stick, or A + Down) I do a sidestep out of sheild

Can anyone explain the proper way to do it?
You might have heard wrong, maybe what you mean is sometimes the d smash can hit someone out of a shield? Or maybe it was you can shuttle loop out of of the shield?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
RazeveX is absolutely correct. You can do anything out of shield in any direction. Just let go of the shield button and immediately down smash. It'll look like you did it straight out of the shield.

Why do you think Marth's so dangerous? F-smash out of shield in any direction ftl.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
as far as i know, the new shielding mechanic allows you to simply release the shield button and smash down fast enough that it works well.

i think...
Ummm you could have said that earlier. But yeah it works like that too lets just hope your fingers adjust to the required speed.

Playing billions of hours on Melee helps you obtain very good finger speed (Shuffling, SWD, Mastery of all wave techniques? Yeah Melee is about speed refer to Gimpyfish for even making what seems to be slowest character look fast)

metaknightroy06

Smash Rookie
i dont know if what i'm puttin' is on here already or not, but i'm not reading 11 pages to make sure. but anywho here are some tips:
-if you have the smash ball and your opponent is at high damage(90+), instead of using the final smash, KO them, knock there damage meter to 50%+ when they come back, then use it.(do this if you are sure you wont lose it)
-bystanders get hurt by the slash, you all know that, but just in case y'all dont know this, this includes your teammates if done in a team battle, so metaknight's final smash can hurt both opponents and teammates(kind of sad). so if metaknight in a team battle, warn your buddy about when to dodge so you dont screw him up.
-never forget that all of his special moves can be useful for recovery uses. just figure out which ones are best in a certain situation
that's all for now. i may do more in the future, so keep a look out.(note that i'm not a noob in smash, i just never post stuff here)

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Not a noob...because Final Smashes are always used in tournaments, right guys?

EDIT: I'm never posting again.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I like to use my cape for mindgames--you never know where MK will end up!

Fun opening combo: Tap Dance --> Cape Mindgames!!! W00T!!!!

Basically D-Throw the opponent and immediately use Down-B. Get behind your foe and use the Dimension Slash! If you do it too much, though, the guy may regain control and either dodge to leave you open for attack or use their B-air to smack you away. To fix this, just do a stationary Dimension Cape, and Dash Attack while they're in landing lag.
Even better: use the Short Cape to land in front of them and Focus Slash (F-Smash) them into oblivion!

Either I'm really lucky, my opponents (both CPU and human) aren't very good, or I got some mad skizzles to be able to pull these games off like crazy. I like the last one best ^^

I love the looks on their faces when they get killed by my Short Cape -> Focus Slash... Priceless...

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I'm assuming this is the thread for general questions? I still had an unanswered question from another thread, so I guess its safe to ask here for anyone that knows the answer.

The question I had (probably with an obvious answer) was regarding Metaknights dashing. I've noticed that Vidjo can dash and turn around in the opposite direction without MK's feet hitting the ground, making for a dashdance (such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviwCy-k8MQ). When I tried it, I was unable to dash except during the initial frames of the dash or when MK's feet had hit the ground, making it either much slower or barely moving outside of your opponents attack range. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate it.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
It's just a dash dance, you just have to smash backwards and forwards. If it's not working, you're just not doing it fast enough.
Really? It dosen't work for me. Are you referring to the basic dashdance where you hardly move anywhere? That one is very easy to do but of little practical use. Let me show you an example in case we aren't referring to the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviwCy-k8MQ in 17 seconds. I haven't been able to do it by pressing forward and backward unless Metaknight has already had his feet touch the ground (making it far slower than in the video).

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I'm assuming this is the thread for general questions? I still had an unanswered question from another thread, so I guess its safe to ask here for anyone that knows the answer.

The question I had (probably with an obvious answer) was regarding Metaknights dashing. I've noticed that Vidjo can dash and turn around in the opposite direction without MK's feet hitting the ground, making for a dashdance (such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviwCy-k8MQ). When I tried it, I was unable to dash except during the initial frames of the dash or when MK's feet had hit the ground, making it either much slower or barely moving outside of your opponents attack range. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate it.
someone was telling me about this and saying that you can do that by quickly shielding and turning out of your shield.. doesnt look like he put a shield up at all though even if he just put it up for less than a second i think you should still be able to see it go up..

maybe just ask vidjo himself?

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
Really? It dosen't work for me. Are you referring to the basic dashdance where you hardly move anywhere? That one is very easy to do but of little practical use. Let me show you an example in case we aren't referring to the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviwCy-k8MQ in 17 seconds. I haven't been able to do it by pressing forward and backward unless Metaknight has already had his feet touch the ground (making it far slower than in the video).
OH. Hmm, I do see what you're saying now, I'm not sure. This is very interesting, I'll try to figure this out.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
OH. Hmm, I do see what you're saying now, I'm not sure. This is very interesting, I'll try to figure this out.
i think what he's doing is like a fox trot.. tapping forward until you get as far as one dash will get you then turning into the opposite direction by tapping backward as soon as your first dash is done.

i was trying it today .. also it seems he was also fox trotting at a different part of that match but jusst doing it to move forward(that is done the same way but tapping forward again at the end of each dash that you do... if you dont know what a fox trot is).

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
It looks like it, but as unknownforce said, his feet don't really touch the ground.

Edit: Ok, so I tried this out a bit... I think it is just a fox trot followed by a dash dance.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I see. I'll have to give it a try!

I haven't really seen Vidjo in a long time, so I would feel rude IMing him only to ask a question, lol.

M@v

Subarashii!
Guys, I just thought of something. You know when metaknight "runs", he actually flys really close to the ground? Well, if his feet are not touching the ground, HOW THE HECK CAN HE TRIP?:laugh:

On a serious note though, I love the lagless attack option after the glide attack. its amazing for stringing any combo. I also like D throw->fair->shuttle loop->(pending percent)Glide attack->anything. Ive pulled this off before, but its hard. About 50% of the time the shuttle loop doesnt hit, but the glide is lined up perfect for a glide attack.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I just thought of something. You know when metaknight "runs", he actually flys really close to the ground? Well, if his feet are not touching the ground, HOW THE HECK CAN HE TRIP?:laugh:

On a serious note though, I love the lagless attack option after the glide attack. its amazing for stringing any combo. I also like D throw->fair->shuttle loop->(pending percent)Glide attack->anything. Ive pulled this off before, but its hard. About 50% of the time the shuttle loop doesnt hit, but the glide is lined up perfect for a glide attack.

Maybe he is airtripping :p

I think if you use Uair instead of fair your combo works, so its Dthrow->Uair->Shuttle loop->Glide attack->anything. But i haven't tested it but uair->shuttle loop always works with me.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

It's more like a 'pivot dash'. I'll describe some things.

If you Dash into a Run and then try to Dash the opposite direction you will Skid.

If you Dash and immediately Dash in the opposite direction, that's a Dash Dance.

If you Dash, then 'Pivot Dash' (return the control stick to neutral then Dash in the opposite direction) you'll skip the skidding animation and start a Dash behind you. It's great to use for Grabs, Dash Attacks, and jumping into Aerials.

Top Bottom