• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

M@v

Subarashii!
A useful trick with the shuttle loop: On a stage with slanted walls below the edge of the stage where you grab(The main stage you'll be playing with this characteristic is Final destination), you can spike with MKs shuttle loop. When they grab the edge, do an aerial shuttle loop on them while they are on the edge. On final destination, they will go flying into the wall, and since its slanted, will go straight down. Do this at a high enough percent, +1 kill for you. It usually isnt that much, especially with a bad recovering character. Dont worry about getting back, if you time it right(which you have a large window), MK will simply grab the edge himself.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
It's more like a 'pivot dash'. I'll describe some things.

If you Dash into a Run and then try to Dash the opposite direction you will Skid.

If you Dash and immediately Dash in the opposite direction, that's a Dash Dance.

If you Dash, then 'Pivot Dash' (return the control stick to neutral then Dash in the opposite direction) you'll skip the skidding animation and start a Dash behind you. It's great to use for Grabs, Dash Attacks, and jumping into Aerials.
yea, the pivot dash is really great for grabs and stuff... its a good mind game too to dash away from ur opponent then immediately pivot dash back and grab.

been trying it more often since i've seen vidjos mk vids.

since this thread doesnt get tooo many questions .. who does every1 think mks worst matchups are? NO ONE say" he has no bad matchups blahh blah blah " lol every1 has at least 1.

IMO DK can really mess up mk at times.. his light weight makes him die at 70 percent to dk's smashes.

also u basically have to get him to 150 percent on a normal stage just to kill him... if you are playing a really good DK with amazing DI lol

i also thing lucario is even with him too.. he has priority and a projectile.. and his dair can mess meta up too

Torppe

Smash Cadet
i cant wait for ssbb to release in Finland, but when it release i will play with metaknight and practice my best! i like metaknight (i have watched videos xD) because he's combo character. He's so super

and btw.. very interesting and helpfull information about Metaknight ! keep up the good work!

JrdnS

Smash Ace
this is a great guide. except some of the percentages.
nair can do up to 20 damage and has a third hit. neutral b can do up to 23 if you keep tapping.
d smash can do two hits and 24 damage if you are facing your opponent and extremely close. also save this move for a kill. too many meta knight players spam this move for easy damage then when the time comes you have no reliable kill moves.
and back throw can do up to 11 not 7. and up throw can do 13.
also if you sweetspot a dair it will be kind of like fox's shine spike.

metanyte

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to say how helpful and informative this thread was. Great job, t!mmy.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
theres not very many dimensional caping tricks found out yet. mostly just edge grabs
I find in my matches that after my opponent has gotten used to my style, it's good to throw this attack in (with the ending slash or without it, depends on the situation). They don't see it coming, so unless they're very experienced they don't have the calm under pressure necessary to deal with a sudden change of style.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
I find in my matches that after my opponent has gotten used to my style, it's good to throw this attack in (with the ending slash or without it, depends on the situation). They don't see it coming, so unless they're very experienced they don't have the calm under pressure necessary to deal with a sudden change of style.
It's funny because it's true because if you have experience with MK its easy to learn how to overwhelm your opponent with pressure but throwing in something new or taking out a few parts in a style keeps my rivals just a step below me. particularly the f tilt 3x or the f tilt 1x then d- smash toss around. Its useful since MK has so many amazing follow ups no matter the situation.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
It's funny because it's true because if you have experience with MK its easy to learn how to overwhelm your opponent with pressure but throwing in something new or taking out a few parts in a style keeps my rivals just a step below me. particularly the f tilt 3x or the f tilt 1x then d- smash toss around. Its useful since MK has so many amazing follow ups no matter the situation.
These ideas sound really useful. my friend, i think, has gotten used to my style. i never use metaknight dimensional cape so it would definitely throw him off if i use it out of nowhere.
great suggestions.thanks

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
These ideas sound really useful. my friend, i think, has gotten used to my style. i never use metaknight dimensional cape so it would definitely throw him off if i use it out of nowhere.
great suggestions.thanks
Ummm... wait this would imply that you don't dimensional edge guard... because you know this is a pretty important move since aggressive edge guarding is pretty big for MK...

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
I read through your guide and it is pretty good, grats on that. the one par of you guide that I thought needed a little work was the "pros and cons" section so here is a bigger list of metas pros and cons. feel free to take any that you want I know its pretty big.

Pros:
-Five mid-air jumps.
-Second best recover in the game (right behind pit).
-Can play mind games with midair tactics.
-Can Glide.
-All four of his special moves can be used as his final jump.
-Very mall Target.
-Easy to pick up
-Mach Tornado is a brilliant damage racker
-Fast dashing speed (sixth fastest).
-Has the fastest attacking speed in the game with barely any windup lag or ending lag.
-Can attack/jump out of his glide allowing for a second glide with his Up-Special in the other direction (if needed).
-His Shuttle Loop attack has good knockback which is farther than any of his moves.
-Glide attack has good knockback, and can be used in quick succession after Shuttle Loop.
-Has surprising knockback compared to what other characters' knockback would be with attacks of the same damage.
-Good grabs for combo starters
-Down smash is very quick and has good knockback.
-Good juggler.
-Has great mobility both in the air and in the ground, providing him great advantages.
-Extremely quick forward and backward rolls; viable for fastest in game.
-Has two great approaches, Mach Tornado and Drill Rush.
-Mach Tornado is a powerful move with high priority that can negate most projectiles and can do 26% damage if controlled properly.
-Neutral air is surprisingly powerful and has great knockback, plus damages while hitting the ground.
-Up air is great for chaining.
-Can chain grab fast-falling characters (such as Wolf) with D-throw.
-Typical of swordsman characters, his sword-based attacks have long-reaching, broad-sweeping hitboxes.
-Standard combo attacks behind him as well as in front of him.
-"Jericho" a technique similar to the Wall of Pain, but due to MK's poor air speed, and his aerials' irregular knockback, is hard to pull off.
-Can use Down Special to create an almost endless Edge Hog if performed correctly.
-Able Mach Tornado or Drill Rush to recover and prevent and even damage edgehoggers.
-Dimensional Cape is great for mindgames.
-His aerials are all very useful and give Meta Knight one of the best sets of aerials in Brawl.
-Creates High pressure play on the opponent, Meta Knight can "overwhelm" his opponent with his dash and his quick, little lag aerials.
-Drill Rush does well damage, at the end of attack, does a large amount of damage.
-Neutral A can combo immediately into his Down Smash, making for a combo that can build up damage, then deliver a powerful finisher.
-Can circle new pok city (but i dont know how this will help him in combat.
Cons:
-losses some of his jugling abilty when in the air.
-Light and easily KO'd. (5th lightest)
-Mach Tornado does not auto-grab the ledge, rather it bounces off.
-Most of his attacks lack KO power.
-Reliant on edge-guarding for early kills.
-All of his special moves (with the possible exception of Shuttle Loop, ironically) leave him helpless, which can result in a SD.
-Crouching gives him almost no vertical height reduction.
-No projectiles
-Small multijumps
-Poor air speed

Hope it helps.

xerdosx

Smash Rookie
dam man this thread really help me understand meta knight and this is even before the game came out lol. i do lik the thread keep on updating =)

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
uhhm , meta's Nair can do as much as 19 according 2 wat i've seen multiple times in gameplay.
he's my best and i use aerials as my main fighting still next 2 grabbing. i've noticed that yes, it is hard 2 deliver 19 dmg w/ Nair, but is possible. i never use any of his specials (except 4 recovery of course). i have recieved lots of respect 4 this basically cuz of all meta players i no r b spammers sadly.
nice info all-in-all tho. good werk doohd.

beenman

Smash Rookie
i found another combo that could be useful, if you use his neutral A attack on the groung then while doing it slam c-down his down smash comes out at very fast and his d-smash has decent knockback and if the a attacks hit the oppenent can be trapped for the down smash.... works well as it isn't obvious that you have done the down smash if you miss

Smasha

Smash Rookie
Like the thread too. I used some of his "tricks" that are written here before reading this. Mostly whirlwind spammage^^. Why is this thread dead now, anyways?

Top Bottom