• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee will lose steam eventually. Its just a matter of time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm sorry but, how? Have you seen LCS lately? There is rarely a solo lane pick that isn't from the pool of about the same 5 champions.
Top's got Renekton, Lulu, Shyvanna, Jax, and pretty much nothing else.
Mid's got kayle, kassadin, and yasuo

When was the last time you saw Alistar or Taric support? Maokai jungle after season 2? Urgot adc?
Overall season has seen some pretty good variance here and there. ADC actually in the past month has seen 8 different picks rotating around down there even with Lucian and Twitch being the best of the best, though the nerfs they both got + more for lucian to come.

Support has been pretty stale though it still rotates a bit with Thresh/Leona/Annie/Morg/Braum/Zyra.

Mid lane has still seen some odd ball picks once and a while that do work, though Leblanc and Nid being issues.

Top is pretty ****ty right now, that much is true.

Same for the jungle with Lee Sin/Elise/Eve every game.

Alistar isn't gonna be buffed til a rework because if he is every even decently good at clearing in the jungle, he makes it to where you can't even leave your turret range without his godlike lvl 2 ganks garanteeing kills. He needs changes, Taric is simular. They have issues in there kits that need reworks to fix.

Maokai is getting buffs/up coming itemization changes for the tanky junglers.

So at the very least they are making changes to fix these things, hell while every season and patch of league still has lingering issues, league has been much worse for balance issues.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't even understand the point of this thread lol. It's not trying to come up with ways of mitigating or eliminating the reasons for Melee to eventually die, it's just saying that it'll happen which is very obvious to anyone who isn't lying to themselves. Controllers are being made again by Nintendo btw.

Last edited:

noran san

Smash Rookie
I don't even understand the point of this thread lol. It's not trying to come up with ways of mitigating or eliminating the reasons for Melee to eventually die, it's just saying that it'll happen which is very obvious to anyone who isn't lying to themselves. Controllers are being made again by Nintendo btw.
thank you strong bad it's not like we don't know it will fade away to antiquity like pogs or giga pets lol. But can't we at least enjoy the ride? HUH??

The_Burn

Smash Rookie
Meta level discussion on the concept of balance in videogames, with a side of people bashing their heads into brick walls. So the same as most threads on smash boards.

KMS

Smash Rookie
Many people want eSports to one day be mainstream and recognized as the same as real sports. I feel that the eSports culture of throwing away old, but great games in favor for newer, but not necessarily better games is a huge detriment to that. Baseball doesn't get a sequel every 5-10 years, it stays the same at its core and it becomes a cultural tradition thanks to its longevity.

I was very disappointed when SC2 eventually displaced SC1, which had a huge history in Korea and a real shot at becoming the first true eSport.. I hope Melee can stick around for a very long time to come, not 20 years, but beyond 200 years from now.

Mint Alicarth

Smash Cadet
I can't see Melee dying out anytime soon with how big and alive the community is today. Look at the Earthbound and Final Fantasy communities, they still thrive on to this day. The Smash community won't die anytime soon, and nor will it's love for Melee.

By the way, we haven't hit the year 20XX yet.

Many people want eSports to one day be mainstream and recognized as the same as real sports. I feel that the eSports culture of throwing away old, but great games in favor for newer, but not necessarily better games is a huge detriment to that. Baseball doesn't get a sequel every 5-10 years, it stays the same at its core and it becomes a cultural tradition thanks to its longevity.
Esports leagues make 85% of their revenue from stream ads. Casual gamers make up the vast majority of audiences for games, as in like 99%, especially for Smash. The flood of casual gamers with a degree of interest are going to be interested in the new Smash because it's new. Melee's been around for 12 years now. It's old. Most people don't like old games. Favoring Melee when Smash 4 exists will be a really bad idea for competitive gaming leagues. They'll get a lot less money. Just look at CS1.6 vs CSGO. 1.6 can't get anywhere near the stream viewers for GO

I was very disappointed when SC2 eventually displaced SC1, which had a huge history in Korea and a real shot at becoming the first true eSport. I hope Melee can stick around for a very long time to come, not 20 years, but beyond 200 years from now.
Were training camps where Korean pros played like 14 hours/day not enough to call it a true esport? SC BW was Korea's national sport. Also, a competitive game lasting 200 years sounds pretty delusional

I can't see Melee dying out anytime soon with how big and alive the community is today. Look at the Earthbound and Final Fantasy communities, they still thrive on to this day. The Smash community won't die anytime soon, and nor will it's love for Melee.

By the way, we haven't hit the year 20XX yet.
The players who currently play Melee won't give up on Melee. It'll become Smash's version of ST. They'll be outnumbered by the flood of new players for Smash 4. It won't die, but it won't be #1

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
If and when Smash 4 is ****ty and Melee is still hype as ****, I'm pretty sure Melee will still be #1 lol. Like I understand people wanting a new game to bring Smash to new heights but from the looks of it Sakurai isn't capable or willing of creating a game that has the appropriate depth of options for a good spectator game in the long run.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
If and when Smash 4 is ****ty and Melee is still hype as ****, I'm pretty sure Melee will still be #1 lol. Like I understand people wanting a new game to bring Smash to new heights but from the looks of it Sakurai isn't capable or willing of creating a game that has the appropriate depth of options for a good spectator game in the long run.
I don't think there is a doubt in anyone's mind that Melee will always be the #1 competitive title in the series, but I'm not really sure what the point of your post is. Are you saying that alone will stop melee from "losing steam?"

The OP's initial point was that Melee discs will only rise in price, and controllers will too. I'm not sure if they will or not though, I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo was planning to continue production of gamecube controllers in anticipation for smash 4? Or the Wii U in general maybe it was.

Edit: Though I was recently explaining to a friend the deep mechanics of the game and he was interested in trying it out and looked to pick up a copy. "Time to pick up a copy of melee....60 bucks?! Can I borrow yours?" his exact words.

Last edited:
Only #1 in players hearts, not in stream, attendance, and money numbers. Brawl was the most played competitive Smash game for 4 years and look at how abysmal it is. Smash 4 can do the same thing too

I think I should also mention that Melee can still survive on community run events. It just has no hope for esports once esports leagues are ready to pick up Smash 4

Last edited:

Stevo

Smash Champion
Just like how Melee had no hope once Brawl was picked up?
Melee already dipped and wasn't #1 for a while when Brawl was new. Now it's back #1 again.

But again, as I and many others have said, who cares? Concentrate on how awesome things are right now.

Thor

Smash Champion
The_Burn said:
if I understand your post you are listing BW as an example of a well balanced game even though, for years people thought that TvZ was a 100% m/u for terran, people cried for blizzard to do something because, even though more pro players played zerg then any other race their results were abysmal.
It took a player by the name of Savior to come in and revolutionize the zerg meta game for tournament results to begin evening out. Did it take a balance patch? Nope.
Difference is, no one is ever going to revolutionize Kirby's metagame and all the sudden Kirby will be a viable character, and that won't happen for most of the rest either. The problem is, they are characters simply outclassed in ever aspect. We'll isolate Kirby for now. Power? Fox has more in usmash, or the same with FAR less risk than a sweetspot hammer. Speed? Outclassed by miles. Recovery? Fox can be hit back out a few times and be living, Kirby can't. Kirby is also pretty easy to gimp if you know what you're doing, which is also admittedly a Fox problem, but Kirby isn't really that much better at this - and even if he is, being slightly better in recovery doesn't cut it where you lose everywhere else. Survivability? Kirby falls slower, and I don't think he's heavier than Fox - dies sooner. Comboability - Kirby is not less comboable than Jiggs, and has a worse neutral to be sure (slower), and Fox being combo'd isn't an end-all be-all by any stretch - comboable characters can do well. General moveset in the air? His nair is terrible (good for landing, that's like it), his fair is mediocre at best (CC and/or SDI it), his uair is inferior to Fox's and Fox can use bair as an often very similar move, his bair is more or less Fox's bair as well (maybe a bit better) and his dair is worse than Fox's - slower and while it meteors that's cancellable. Ground game? Ftilt of Fox is just as good or almost as good, but ftilt is very CC-able and punish with whatever. Dtilt is more or less the same analysis. Utilt of Fox and Kirby do very similar things, but Kirby can't utilt shine if the utitl is CC'd, so he's at a riskier spot to utilt someone in exchange for a slightly better range (and I think Fox's can be used quicker, so it's safer in general). Specials? Up+b of Kirby is worse than Fox's for recovery - moves less range in all directions and if Kirby had jumps left, they're all gone (same as Fox, but he gets one). It's potentially usable for gimps, but Fox can just fly out with nair, bair, or shine so that utility is negligible. Down+b is a joke on Kirby - you can sort of edgeguard from way high up with it, but shine does it better (as do Fox's other tools), it's not a shine (Fox has shine, I shouldn't need to explain why that can set up KOs, gimp, etc.), and has WAY more endlag, and it's easy to see like anywhere on stage. Side+B? Hammer is bleh - tiny sweetspot and very long lag, and in the air it's low damage and knockback means someone can try to fall in and punish Kirby on landing or endlag, while Fox's is just a recovery trick. Inhale does help in some MUs, but Fox's laser does too, and inhale-cides just won't happen at the top. Grabs? You can mash out of three of them - dthrow is actually not bad, but Fox's uthrow is good and his other throws can be used near the ledge without killing himself (and not the opponent if they mash out). Conclusion: Unless Kirby mains can revolutionize how Melee is played with more uair/bair/utilt and sweetspot hammers while dthrow tech-chasing and ALWAY land these reads, Kirby is punishment fodder, and being combo'd isn't a good measure of viability, as we've seen (I could also compare Kirby to Jiggs, if you think this analysis was insufficient). And oh wait - the Kirby I know already DOES all this stuff, making incredible use of all these moves that aren't strictly inferior to Fox's (and good use of the ones that are). And he still knows Kirby should almost never beat a Fox or Falco at the top [tech skill errors happen...]. You can't revolutionize a metagame when a move-by-move comparison reveals that one is strictly outclassed in nearly the entire moveset (and you still get gimped hard if your opponent knows what they are doing).

I also just read somewhere that the game (SB or whatever) is supposed to be perfectly balanced - I know next to nothing about it.

--- [end pseudo-rant]

MookieRah said:
Ever hear of tourneyfag? You have at least heard ********, as Thor has used that in this thread, a derivative of tourneyfag that specifically targets melee. These words weren't a thing in the smash community prior to Brawl, and their sole purpose is to make fun of competitive melee players. Just the fact that these words are now in the vernacular point that Brawl players are not innocent.
*facepalm* Did you read my post? First, I said I like Melee and like the scene, except for the parts where I hear Hbox say "F*** Brawl" or Scar talking about how it's such a bad game at a P:M/Melee only tournament. Second, I already said I AM a "********" or have been called one by people I know and don't view it as an insult, but a humorous joke [and a tourneyfag too, which I find just as laughable]. Third, you may not have noticed that they fit the word as it's intended perfectly: "It's bad because it's not Melee" was verbatim what they said [or else sketchy memory but that's the essence]. Then he called me an idiot for even wondering if Brawl wasn't a bad game. Which is pretty hateful in its own right, despite your claim that "neither side of the isle hates itself as much as Cassio thinks." Fourth, I've heard Brawl players called tourneyfag too, so I don't see how that's used to specifically target Melee [again, I didn't want items so I was the ******** and tourneyfag at the school. And I found that they even knew the terms hysterical]. Fifth, I've only ever heard "********" in my 'vernacular' [which I rarely say because I rarely meet the people who fit it to a T], just as I also use "superfluous" and "formative assessment" whenever those terms come up to describe things. I don't think my "vernacular" qualifies as anything of the sort. Sixth, I don't think people even invented the term "********" until Melee players started bashing Brawl, so EVEN IF it's the fault of both sides, Brawl players stopping won't stop Melee players from Brawl-bashing, and since they were the first to start, it logically has to have the Melee side stop first (besides, I'm pretty sure if the Melee community actually started supporting Brawl, 99% of the people who hated on Melee would shut up pretty quickly, especially if the people who like both games like Keitaro and Coontail spread the word). In a different forum on the Brawl boards, I highlight something they've said on stream. My internet is really crappy so I can't just put the link here, but the thread was called "Why do Melee players hate Brawl so much?" [so even if it's a vocal minority, the fact that someone felt compelled to make a thread on it in which various people responded suggests that it IS taken as fact by the Brawl community]. And you say Brawl players are bigoted against Melee players - ever consider the source of that bigotry? [Also, even if the term (still not a derogative if used by people who to tournaments – like black people calling each other the n-word with an a instead, as a couple of my friends explained it to me – it’s funny and fitting and not insulting, simply expressing their preferences without extra words – denotations not connotations I used, you brought the connotations in when it was entirely irrelevant to my original point) was invented before Brawl game out, Brawl players were extremely vulnerable to the term given that’s it a “No items, use top-tier dude, go to ‘boring stages’” term so “Brawlfag” could’ve easily been a thing [and they were tourneyfags] so I don’t think this was actively used by tourneyfags until Brawl started getting a verbal beating from Melee players.]

P.S: The censors are bizarre [at the time of this post]: not censoring "tourneyfag", censoring half of "Meleefags" and "tourneyfags" and censoring all of "********"? Get a mod/censor-fixer in here! [Shaya perhaps?]

P.P.S: No Epsilon, did you notice that mlg picked up Melee again? If Smash 4 is "bad" enough to the point where people just want to watch Melee and tons of randoms bash Smash 4, esports will see the money, if any, is in Melee, and I can assure you that if Melee stays as strong as it has [which it will, unless Smash 4 is revamped, because of the die-hards and the people who love the game and Smash in general], they will be rewarded on the first venture and continue to have Melee events. And many people (like the guy I mentioned above who fits the word perfectly, but I'll refrain from more than heavily referencing it since many people here are very sensitive despite having no reason since I use it humorously and with disbelief, not malice) are already not liking Smash 4, I forsee a lot of Smash 4 bashing, even if esports decides to pick it up for a time - it may very well go the way of Brawl and drop off the radar, at least relative to Melee.

P.P.P.S: I still don't know what Cassio is going on about with his entitlement stuff... he's just confusing at this point - though his vocal minority claims are just as well-founded as MookieRah's, (Except my post alone has more examples than his does, which isn't even a real example), so...

Last edited:
P.P.S: No Epsilon, did you notice that mlg picked up Melee again? If Smash 4 is "bad" enough to the point where people just want to watch Melee and tons of randoms bash Smash 4, esports will see the money, if any, is in Melee, and I can assure you that if Melee stays as strong as it has [which it will, unless Smash 4 is revamped, because of the die-hards and the people who love the game and Smash in general], they will be rewarded on the first venture and continue to have Melee events. And many people (like the guy I mentioned above who fits the word perfectly, but I'll refrain from more than heavily referencing it since many people here are very sensitive despite having no reason since I use it humorously and with disbelief, not malice) are already not liking Smash 4, I forsee a lot of Smash 4 bashing, even if esports decides to pick it up for a time - it may very well go the way of Brawl and drop off the radar, at least relative to Melee.
Brawl released in 2008. MLG picked up Brawl in 2010. MLG picked up Melee in 2014. Yeah, MLG's keeping Melee right from the start. Keep telling yourself and everyone that. There are feedback loops that will keep the most popular game as the most popular. It will be Smash 4 and it will last for at least 4 years

The only people who will want to keep running Melee events are the Melee community tournament organizers. It's much more profitable for esports leagues to run newer games than older ones. Melee is an exception that took 5 years to happen

Many Melee players aren't liking Smash 4. Many more are liking it, particularly including the flood of a certain audience I keep talking about. It will drop off the radar after 4 years or so if all goes as poorly as Brawl. Keep Melee alive as Smash 4 gradually fades out from being a bad game. It'll take back the spotlight again after years of relentless community dedication to the game

Last edited:

The_Burn

Smash Rookie
@ Thor Thor your post can be summed up with 'a character that is bad in this meta is worse then a character that is good in this meta'. Congratulations on figuring that out.
When this game first came out I had a friend who loved Kirby, choose him as his main and got first or second at every tourney he went to... because the meta was different, his survivability outweighed his weaknesses because the meta was different. (Not to say Kirby was the strongest, but he was viable).

In a game with as many characters as melee has it's inevitable that some characters won't be viable: Sakurai proves that people's response to a video game will never be exactly as intended-- with that in mind the ideal game is never going to be a game where every single piece fits in perfectly, it will be a game that people ENJOY.

Melee happens to do that better than most games I know, so why you refuse to chalk it up as a success just because you're at a deficit when you choose to play the worst character in a given meta, I will never understand.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@ Thor Thor : That comment wasn't directed at you. I was showing that there exists terminology on these boards with the sole purpose of making fun of melee, and that it didn't exist prior to the influx of casual players when Brawl was announced, prior to anyone knowing anything regarding it's gameplay. Also, please format your posts... Please have line breaks after paragraphs otherwise very few people will go through the effort to read what you post.
Sixth, I don't think people even invented the term "********" until Melee players started bashing Brawl
The term was coined when several casual players created several threads in melee discussion telling competitive players that they were not playing the way Sakurai intended. At this point, nothing was known about brawl and nobody was bashing it.
still not a derogative if used by people who to tournaments
Are you really arguing that these terms are not derogative? Do you understand how language works? Yes, perhaps your internal meaning of the word is not derogative, but I can assure you that pretty much everyone else in the english speaking world would disagree with you. Also, your first usage of it in this thread indicates it is a negative thing, as you use it to describe a close minded hardcore melee player.
And you say Brawl players are bigoted against Melee players - ever consider the source of that bigotry?
Yup, they are called idiots, and they exist in both camps.
Brawl players stopping won't stop Melee players from Brawl-bashing, and since they were the first to start,
You talk like you were there when all this went down... but unless you have an alt account you clearly were not. Also, it doesn't matter which side started what. To claim one side is morally superior to the other does nothing but piss the other group off. Realistically the conflict started simultaneously from both ends as this is a forum.

If this ever stops it will be because both sides concede to the fact that they are both being childish over this, and acknowledge that it is in fact a vocal minority on both sides.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
I once had an idea for a novel where a modern-day Smasher would somehow get teleported to 700 years in the future where they still play Melee. But in this future it's not Super Smash Bros. Melee. It is described that at some point in history someone "remade" Melee's engine exactly but made it a different game with different literary characters adopting the movesets and hit/hurtboxes of the existing characters. Captain Falcon would no longer be Captain Falcon from F-Zero, in this Melee he is just called "The Captain" and has no literary ties with anything Nintendo. In appearance and lore it would be a different character, but functionally it would be the same Captain Falcon.

People continue to play this Melee competitively and over the centuries it gets upgraded graphically and made more accessible by the technologies of its time. By the 2700's Melee is considered a full-fledged sport and is a really big deal, though no one remembers anymore that in its original form it was just a silly party game made by Nintendo. Due to increasingly better education and genetics, people get smarter and think faster in the future, making the playerbase and the spectatorbase bigger as more people appreciate the game.

TLDR it is my prediction that at some point Melee will be upgraded by the community to make it more easily accessible by modern technologies and will also be changed on a literary level to avoid copyright issues (or it may be done illegally until the characters enter public domain). The game (or rather, the engine) is too good and the community is too strong to just let it die. And no I'm not talking about Project M, I'm talking about a careful replication of the game's exact engine.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Esports leagues make 85% of their revenue from stream ads. Casual gamers make up the vast majority of audiences for games, as in like 99%, especially for Smash. The flood of casual gamers with a degree of interest are going to be interested in the new Smash because it's new. Melee's been around for 12 years now. It's old. Most people don't like old games. Favoring Melee when Smash 4 exists will be a really bad idea for competitive gaming leagues. They'll get a lot less money. Just look at CS1.6 vs CSGO. 1.6 can't get anywhere near the stream viewers for GO
99% of all people that have ever played Smsah might be casuals, but the majority of people tuning into tournament streams are definitely competitive oriented players, and if Melee remains the gold standard for competition, it doesn't matter how popular Smash 4 gets. If the competitive player base doesn't switch to Smash 4, eSport leagues that pick up Smash 4 will have a built in expiration date for when the semi-competitive players finally lose interest.

While people wanting to play newer versions certainly has an impact on what games are run on pro circuits, I think developer support matters MUCH more. Evo runs all the new traditional fighters not because people would rather play them, but because Capcom, Warner Bros., or whatever company is behind the new game wants to sell their product. Melee is in a unique situation where we don't really have to worry about Nintendo shoving the newest iteration of Smash down our throat for the competitive scene. Melee definitely would have taken a larger hit from barlw if Nintendo had been sponsoring and/or running tournaments immediately from launch on a consistent basis. As soon as you remove the propaganda influencing which game people decide to play/spectate, older games stand a way better shot at beating out their sequels, especially when the sequel is inferior to a noticeable degree like barlw and Smash 4.

99% of all people that have ever played Smsah might be casuals, but the majority of people tuning into tournament streams are definitely competitive oriented players, and if Melee remains the gold standard for competition, it doesn't matter how popular Smash 4 gets. If the competitive player base doesn't switch to Smash 4, eSport leagues that pick up Smash 4 will have a built in expiration date for when the semi-competitive players finally lose interest.
No one ever started playing competitively at the start of their gaming hobby. Those players were all once casual and gradually increased their seriousness to the game. The most successful competitive games (looking at attendances and prize money) are often the ones with the biggest casual bases. Melee has hardly anything of a casual base. Most of everyone who still plays it plays for competition. There's not a lot of players, relatively, to convert to the tournament scene.

Smash 4 will have floods of new blood to show the competitive scene to. It'll be much easier for them to join the Smash 4 scene than the Melee scene. They'll already have a Wii U and Smash 4 to play on. They don't need to go out and buy a Gamecube or Wii with Gamecube controller ports to play Melee. But if Melee gets released on the Wii U VC and the community converts to playing on that systems, and possibly also on gaming monitors, then a barrier gets taken down for Smash 4 casuals to convert to Melee competitively. Also, Smash 4 is getting talked about a lot more than Melee. It'll be occupying every casual's mind. They're much more likely to try that game competitively than Melee

While people wanting to play newer versions certainly has an impact on what games are run on pro circuits, I think developer support matters MUCH more. Evo runs all the new traditional fighters not because people would rather play them, but because Capcom, Warner Bros., or whatever company is behind the new game wants to sell their product. Melee is in a unique situation where we don't really have to worry about Nintendo shoving the newest iteration of Smash down our throat for the competitive scene. Melee definitely would have taken a larger hit from barlw if Nintendo had been sponsoring and/or running tournaments immediately from launch on a consistent basis. As soon as you remove the propaganda influencing which game people decide to play/spectate, older games stand a way better shot at beating out their sequels, especially when the sequel is inferior to a noticeable degree like barlw and Smash 4.
Developer support happens to matter too. Nintendo would not be well inclined to sponsor MLG to run Melee tournaments when it has a new game in the series that they'll still be selling instead. Reggie has stated during the E3 tournament that they might consider doing something like it again sometime. It could go either way

Acryte

Smash Ace
And here I was about to create a thread letting everyone who appreciates the sun know that eventually it will burn out and then engulf our planet. :(

crispfish

Smash Cadet
Its not that Melee will become unpopular, its that it will become inaccessible. In other words, EXPENSIVE. Decent controllers go for 30-40 bucks on amazon now. In a decade, unless the smash community moves on for whatever reason, the price will go extremely high. The game itself isn't getting any cheaper either, 40 bucks for the game disc itself. It'll probably go up as time goes on as well. Eventually, the entry cost of competitive Melee will be so high, the only hopes of a new player joining the community are that they happen to have the game and a decent controller lying around, or that a new player happens to have enough cash to get a decent controller. Unless another Melee-type smash game is released or it is rereleased on a format that won't frameskip, Melee will die out.

TL:DR: Controllers and the Melee disk are getting expensive, future players will be alienated by cost, competitive smash dies unless Melee is rereleased or another Melee-style game is made.
this is the worst fanfiction ive ever heard from a 5 year old

melee is gonna remain until forever
melee is the truth
melee gets me up in the morning
melee makes me a breakfast sandwich
melee makes me climax
melee makes me who i am and who im not
melee is the truth
go home to brawl kiddie
go have no friends ya prick

also melee is looking liike the coolest thing right now
so many new players are joining and since when did $40 become alot of money
thats jewish as a mug ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL - mangeezy

crispfish

Smash Cadet
melee will live beyond humankind because when the last human drops and his controller falls from his hands the game will go back to the beta and the computers will have an absolute barlw :)

immortal bros melee

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ummmmmmm

Marvel v Capcom 2 was like 80 bucks in Gamestops and even more online. You had to play with expensive arcade sticks too. That game continued to live on strong. Sure MvC3 killed it, but MvC3 isn't like what Brawl/Sm4sh is to Melee. We're also getting new GC controllers which will continue to be produced for the WiiU compatibility.

Nintendo also loves it's virtual console. By the time all Melee discs are ruined (many years from now), Melee will be some sort of official download. Even if it doesn't show up on the Wii U, I'm sure by the next system we'll have it. Nintendo has been doing a good job keeping oldschool favorites accessible.

Last edited:

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is the goal of this thread? Yes, Melee will die. So will you, me, the current structure of civilization, humanity, life on Earth, and eventually the universe in a giant heat death. Stating that is like making a post with the title, "Fruit: Apples Are Red. Fight Me."

Stevo

Smash Champion
The real issue with the thread was the title and the assumptions made in the first post.
We could have simply had a discussion on whether or not melee may start to become inaccessible in the future due to old hardware and cost and what will need to happen to avoid it.

Instead, with the original tone of the thread, it was only natural it would deteriorate into the current discussion.

Thor

Smash Champion
MookieRah said:
Please have line breaks after paragraphs otherwise very few people will go through the effort to read what you post.
Actually that's just a byproduct of my internet being really bad - I try to format them but my internet craps out so then I have to copy+paste them in a word doc, shut down, reboot, copy+paste in here which removes all the formatting somehow, then I try to reformat stuff, but somehow that post didn't work out well. Oops.

The_Burn said:
@ Thor Thor your post can be summed up with 'a character that is bad in this meta is worse then a character that is good in this meta'.
No, my post can actually be summed up as "If people actually analyze what Fox and Kirby has, Kirby is worse looking at nearly every move, and none of his other moves have a good value for the risk they entail." Then you give me some meta-game argument when we both know the meta will NEVER evolve into "Use moves with more lag! That's somehow NOT going to get you combo'd and wrecked if you miss!" which means Kirby will ALWAYS be worse than Fox.

The_Burn said:
In a game with as many characters as melee has it's inevitable that some characters won't be viable: Sakurai proves that people's response to a video game will never be exactly as intended-- with that in mind the ideal game is never going to be a game where every single piece fits in perfectly, it will be a game that people ENJOY.
Melee happens to do that better than most games I know, so why you refuse to chalk it up as a success just because you're at a deficit when you choose to play the worst character in a given meta, I will never understand.
I also didn't say "Must be full-balanced love all balanced" or whatever. I just said that calling balance over-rated, or not even worth trying to get, is a silly concept, as is the assertion that just making a character inferior in every way to another character somehow adds depth or variety - I can say I know at least a few people who play Brawl and PM Kirby (and Brawl- Kirby, that's another group too) who gave Melee a good go, and then were like "Wait this character is **** I'm gonna go play a better game" and they now play Brawl or a Brawl mod and enjoy it significantly more because being curb-stomped by like the entire cast is way less fun than having a sorta rough go of it versus MK (and actually doing ok versus much of the cast) or else in new metas entirely.

Melee is a success, yes, I just heavily disagreed with the idea that, if we could go back and do so, buffing Kirby (and Pichu and Ness and Bowser and maybe a few others...) a LITTLE would be a bad idea.

Oh, and I play Falco and sort of Link. I just know a guy who plays Kirby.

MookieRah said:
You talk like you were there when all this went down... but unless you have an alt account you clearly were not. Also, it doesn't matter which side started what. To claim one side is morally superior to the other does nothing but piss the other group off. Realistically the conflict started simultaneously from both ends as this is a forum.
Actually it does... Brawl players have been trying to stop this forever, if you hadn't noticed, and Melee players keep piling on. And it's not a question of moral superiority, it's more one of root cause - Melee-bashers gave up any superiority they may've had when they started bashing a video game (grow up) and I'm also not faulting anyone who plays Melee and doesn't openly go out and post "Brawl is trash" [which has shown up in this thread - who'da thunk it!? You'll notice there isn't a "Melee is trash" in here though, unless you count that quote which would be completely out of context and therefore a laughable claim...].

Don't give me that "The conflict started simultaneously" crap - it started with Melee players who hated Brawl going "This is a bad game" and Brawl players saying "No it's not" and eventually (but not right away) some Brawl players took up bashing Melee to feel better about their game (if you can't surface, might as well drag 'em down with ya, I suppose... though I disagree with this). Unless you want to prove to me that if all the Brawl-bashers would all of a sudden stop bashing Brawl if the Melee-bashers stopped (if you could prove that to me you'd be my favorite guy on the boards because that would mean it's actually true and all this inter-game attacking could FINALLY stop), the Melee attackers will keep on going until it's well-shown that the Brawl haters stopped, because most just wouldn't believe that (when both sides claim to quit) they weren't lying. Hell, I wouldn't believe it, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt, and since I don't bash either game, my belief would be mostly irrelevant.

MookieRah said:
Are you really arguing that these terms are not derogative? Do you understand how language works? Yes, perhaps your internal meaning of the word is not derogative, but I can assure you that pretty much everyone else in the english speaking world would disagree with you. Also, your first usage of it in this thread indicates it is a negative thing, as you use it to describe a close minded hardcore melee player.
1. Was a mixture of vague admiration and a lot of amusement that those people aren't just the stuff of ironic online encyclopedias and the like. I'm impressed someone has managed to not only convince themselves they are playing the greatest game ever played, but that it also means everything else is automatically inferior. Disbelief, to be sure, but vaguely impressed.

And while I was looking for a word, "diehard" didn't come into my head, but that did, and I wanted to get out what I was trying to say, so... sorry.

2. Maybe I understand how language works [?] - do you? Why is it that a man can say a word among one group and be found as an intellectual, but say it around the wrong person and lose their job? Why can people fight over the meaning of a word in debates for a year and STILL there is never a decidedly best way to use the word? Xeylode is right my word choice was questionable (and I had better terms to use if I kept searching, I suppose - and I learned), but there was never an attempt to see if I was actually trying to be hurtful, simply assumed and judged for it.

Besides, the fact that you automatically assume it's a bad word to use shows you aren't open to how meanings can change over time (as the n-word has - getting an "a" and then being a positive term for black people to call each other, or so my various [black] friends who call each other that told me). I think you have demonstrated close-minded as well.

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
Melee is a success, yes, I just heavily disagreed with the idea that, if we could go back and do so, buffing Kirby (and Pichu and Ness and Bowser and maybe a few others...) a LITTLE would be a bad idea.
PM attempted to apply this philosophy and so far it's resulted in a game that is less interesting and less balanced than Melee.

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
There is so much more to lose than to gain by hypothetically patching Melee, especially if Nintendo does it. I choose to look at how many powerful and interesting characters a game has and be grateful for each one, rather than insist that every slot must be top tier. Melee has 8-10 amazing and viable characters. It can be less if you want, let's not argue semantics. It's certainly better than Brawl's 1-3. You also have to consider that Melee's universal mechanics make most of the cast pretty good. M2K could beat most tournament players on random select. In Brawl, he will lose to an average player without MK.

also,

Please don't act like Brawl players arbitrarily began outwardly hating Melee first.
Not that it matters how it started, but again that was the minority. Alot of it is Melee players discussing the Brawl the game, and Brawl players trying to twist it into a personal attack. I've seen this discussion happen many, many times:

Melee Player: Brawl is bad because (insert hundreds of valid reasons)
Brawl Player: Well I like it. I can't think of any reasons, but you shouldnt make fun of me
Melee Player: I'm not making fun of you, I'm just discussing a video game
Brawl Player: YOU'LL BURN IN HELL FOR THIS
Melee Player: o_0

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
You'll notice there isn't a "Melee is trash" in here though, unless you count that quote which would be completely out of context and therefore a laughable claim...].
That's because Melee isn't trash #discussion

No for real though, I've never met anybody who doesn't like Melee, but I've met tons that don't like Brawl. Were these mostly Melee players? Yes. The general consensus is that Melee is a better game. If you're a Brawl player, you have to live with the general consensus of your game being that Melee is better.

I don't have a real problem with Brawl. There are several things I think are silly about it, though.
Namely the fact that Sakurai himself said "I made this game to not be competitive" and people still try to play it competitively.
I mean, with Melee, he didn't design the game to be competitive either, that's not what I'm saying. It's just that he didn't PURPOSELY work to make the game NOT COMPETITIVE, which he did in Brawl.

Anyway, have fun playing Brawl, I'll have fun playing Melee:joyful:

Thor

Smash Champion
PM attempted to apply this philosophy and so far it's resulted in a game that is less interesting and less balanced than Melee.
I don't see how it's less balanced than Melee (what, Fox and Falco don't beat everyone?), and interesting is subjective - I find parts of it very interesting.

That said, that's not really what your argument is, so I'll just respond with this: They tried too much too fast. They should've adjusted like, two characters at a time, tops. No new Mewtwo powers (ok maybe a little heavier, just because that wouldn't make his approach too good but it would certainly make it less likely to die at like 50% from a shine off the top), no new Roy powers, no new anything but a slightly upgraded Kirby, then if they feel Kirby has a better chance than before (say, it's not too much harder than it is for Dr. Mario versus space animals and the rest), then look at GnW. But they wanted a game that A) is not exactl 1 to 1 with Melee [it's on one of their mission statements somewhere] while B) taking many things almost exactly from Melee, and they C) didn't check how abusable some stuff is, so some characters can do things that make life difficult for others.

Drodeka said:
Anyway, have fun playing Brawl, I'll have fun playing Melee
I can't tell if you're being a ******** or just somewhat obnoxious, but I play both of them. I also enjoy both of them, even though comments like this seem be trying really hard to make me quit playing Melee, since I've never met a Brawl player like this.

Also, Melee's graphics are rather archaic by today's standards [high-quality for the time if I remember correctly]. While I thoroughly disagree with why they played the game, I did meet one person who found Brawl strictly superior because of the aesthetic experience of the game blowing Melee's out of the water. This admittedly doesn't affect a "general consensus," but even if you don't believe it, yes there are people who prefer Brawl to Melee - it's just more often the other way around.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I can't tell if you're being a ******** or just somewhat obnoxious, but I play both of them. I also enjoy both of them, even though comments like this seem be trying really hard to make me quit playing Melee, since I've never met a Brawl player like this.
Just being obnoxious, really. And I'm aware there are people that prefer Brawl to Melee, and I was even exaggerating when I said I've never met anybody who did. But it would be truthful to say I haven't met anybody who identifies as a "smasher" that prefers Brawl (except on the internet).

Yes the game is more aesthetically pleasing, and I actually like Brawl, as a casual experience (that's hard to get though, since playing Melee has made I and my friends take Smash a bit too seriously sometimes).

My only lasting issue with it is what I stated above. It's almost like trying to play Mario Party competitively. Sure, if you wanted to, you could study the maps, buffer the dice rolls, and practice the minigames, but it shouldn't have been taken seriously in the first place and has nothing going in to support doing so.

InB4 "Mario Party is a bad analogy". It's a fine analogy, the object of both games is essentially to win, Nintendo just doesn't want the victor to be the person who plays the best.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I once had an idea for a novel where a modern-day Smasher would somehow get teleported to 700 years in the future where they still play Melee. But in this future it's not Super Smash Bros. Melee. It is described that at some point in history someone "remade" Melee's engine exactly but made it a different game with different literary characters adopting the movesets and hit/hurtboxes of the existing characters. Captain Falcon would no longer be Captain Falcon from F-Zero, in this Melee he is just called "The Captain" and has no literary ties with anything Nintendo. In appearance and lore it would be a different character, but functionally it would be the same Captain Falcon.

People continue to play this Melee competitively and over the centuries it gets upgraded graphically and made more accessible by the technologies of its time. By the 2700's Melee is considered a full-fledged sport and is a really big deal, though no one remembers anymore that in its original form it was just a silly party game made by Nintendo. Due to increasingly better education and genetics, people get smarter and think faster in the future, making the playerbase and the spectatorbase bigger as more people appreciate the game.

TLDR it is my prediction that at some point Melee will be upgraded by the community to make it more easily accessible by modern technologies and will also be changed on a literary level to avoid copyright issues (or it may be done illegally until the characters enter public domain). The game (or rather, the engine) is too good and the community is too strong to just let it die. And no I'm not talking about Project M, I'm talking about a careful replication of the game's exact engine.
Really, do you really think Smash would be Smash without the Nintendo characters?

otter

Smash Ace
Brawl is pretty bad aesthetically, it just happened to have a huge jump in technology over Melee. Lifeless faces, overly detailed Mario denim, boring colors....

D

Deleted member 245254

To be honest in terms of "steam"...lately I've been feeling more and more inclined to pick Melee back up as my main game...Melee feels stronger than ever.

I just really, really want Smash 4 to succeed because I love everything about it that I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Smash Champion
Drodeka said:
InB4 "Mario Party is a bad analogy". It's a fine analogy, the object of both games is essentially to win, Nintendo just doesn't want the victor to be the person who plays the best.
Your pre-emption doesn't mean that's not a bad analogy. Mario Party is crapshoot random, and I'm pretty sure you can't "buffer" dice rolls - those things spin randomly last I checked. Brawl has one random element that is workaroundable, namely tripping.

And if you're the better player, you still win in Brawl. Just go ask various pros - they'd heavily dispute you - the decisively better player WILL win.

Drodeka said:
Sure, if you wanted to, you could study the maps, buffer the dice rolls, and practice the minigames, but it shouldn't have been taken seriously in the first place and has nothing going in to support doing so.
It's a Smash game, so yes, it should've been taken seriously in the first place.

And Sakurai would echo you replacing a single word exactly as you don't want to hear it, saying "Melee shouldn't have been taken seriously in the first place." Or are you saying we should hark to Nintendo for what should and shouldn't occur relative to SSB games?

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It all depends if there's a game that comes out that is better than Melee. It's a tough act to follow, however.

Top Bottom